Bobby Valentine:Back to school?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Bobby Valentine:Back to school?

The failure of the 2012 season was not solely Valentine's fault. Lot's of blame to go around.

10 years ago, he was a very good manager, but he stayed away too long and did not see the change in the team dynamic across MLB. Kinder, gentler management is the way now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

The failure of the 2012 season was not solely Valentine's fault. Lot's of blame to go around.

10 years ago, he was a very good manager, but he stayed away too long and did not see the change in the team dynamic across MLB. Kinder, gentler management is the way now.

Alibi, I have no issue with an old-school hard-line manager.  But, I would love to know how this old-school mentality applied to bobby last year.  All of his hard-ball criticisms with his players played out in the press (decidedly un-old-school) and, by all reports, he was a lousy communicator with his players and coaches.  old-school is 'slam the door of the clubhouse and tell 'em whats what).  Weaseling out sideways to the press what you should be telling your players face-to-face ain't old school Ike.  Its just weak and counter-productive.

Old school is throwing bats in the shower and calling out lollygaggers.  Old school is not questioning Youk's effort in the press and Youk being totally taken off guard by it.  Valentine  wasn't old school last year.  Just old and tired.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Alibi, I have no issue with an old-school hard-line manager.  But, I would love to know how this old-school mentality applied to bobby last year.  All of his hard-ball criticisms with his players played out in the press (decidedly un-old-school) and, by all reports, he was a lousy communicator with his players and coaches.  old-school is 'slam the door of the clubhouse and tell 'em whats what).  Weaseling out sideways to the press what you should be telling your players face-to-face ain't old school Ike.  Its just weak and counter-productive.

Old school is throwing bats in the shower and calling out lollygaggers.  Old school is not questioning Youk's effort in the press and Youk being totally taken off guard by it.  Valentine  wasn't old school last year.  Just old and tired.

I don't know, Billiy Martin certainly didn't keep things behind the door.
    BV had two strikes on him going in. It was clear that Ben did not want him and that may have trickled down to the players. From the get go, I don't think they wanted to play for him and there was a lot of criticism from the press before he even put on the uni.

He was just a bad choice especially after such a tumultous 2011 season. Bad decision by LL and company.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Valentine should take some Psychology courses so that he can improve his interpersonal skills.  LOL

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I don't know, Billiy Martin certainly didn't keep things behind the door.
    BV had two strikes on him going in. It was clear that Ben did not want him and that may have trickled down to the players. From the get go, I don't think they wanted to play for him and there was a lot of criticism from the press before he even put on the uni.

He was just a bad choice especially after such a tumultous 2011 season. Bad decision by LL and company.

I know Billy Martin, and Bobby V. was no Billy Martin.  Yes, Martin was never shy about airing dirty laundry and talking his beefs to the press.  But Billy's players heard it from the horses' mouth, you better believe.  Bobby V. hid out in his office all year.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

The 2011 season was only "tumultous" in two months ( April and September). Why do so many forget that they were the best team in baseball from May-August?

Because it is a convenient ommission of memory when one needs to crush Beckett or Francona.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The 2011 season was only "tumultous" in two months ( April and September). Why do so many forget that they were the best team in baseball from May-August?

Because we stunk when it counted. Do you not understand that?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Fairfield, CT is a very nice city.  But I would say around 60% of the people are Yankee fans and 40% are Red Sox fans.   :(

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I was speaking in terms of the things going on in the clubhouse which eventually led to the collapse.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Do you really think a small college would hire a loose non PC cannon like Valentine? They would have to be crazy to even consider it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I know Billy Martin, and Bobby V. was no Billy Martin.  Yes, Martin was never shy about airing dirty laundry and talking his beefs to the press.  But Billy's players heard it from the horses' mouth, you better believe.  Bobby V. hid out in his office all year.

That's where the BV fans got it all wrong.  BV was never one to challenge players.  Martin had two modes.  Either confrontational, when you made mental errors, or he would never bother the players.  BV was just one, long continuous whine for the entire season.

Do you think Martin would've whined to the press about Bard not throwing enough changeups during ST?  No, he would've told Bard and the catcher exactly what he wanted, and that would be the end of it, assuming they followed his directives.

Martin was also a much better manager.  About the best I've ever seen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

When was Valentine a "very good" manager?  On what grounds?  Did he ever even win a division title in MLB?

Sections
Shortcuts