Bogaerts or Middlebrooks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Bogaerts or Middlebrooks?

Turns out this is an important decision, and a way of introducing World Series trivia.

After SP (with 24), the position that has won the most World Series MVP awards is 3B with 11, inclding the last two. One of whom is the opposing 3B David Freese.

Also interesting, CF has the fewest WS MVP awards, with 0.  Even DH (1) has more.  Can Ellsbury (preferably) or Jay end this streak?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Bogaerts or Middlebrooks?

Assuming 7 games, I'd probably go with Bogey at 3B 4-5 games and once at SS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm a huge WMB fan and supporter, but hands down Bogaerts is a better talent.  He appears to be ready for the big show from what he's shown, and also doesn't seem to let the big stage get to him.

With everyone underperforming so badly I think the better question is Middlebrooks or Drew?

Because I put Xander in the lineup right now, but do we want him at SS with WMB at 3rd? or with him at 3rd and Drew at SS?

I think we should start Bogaerts at 3B vs. RHP and sit WMB and then start Bogaerts at SS and sit Drew vs. LHP.

Thats my take. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

X-Bo will start at 3b until he goes o-fer.  drew will start at ss until season ends or he gets hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

X-Bo will start at 3b until he goes o-fer.  drew will start at ss until season ends or he gets hurt.

Yup.

The Cards have no lefty starters, so there won't be any substitutions based on that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

With the double switches and pinch hitting both will see at bats. However maybe you go with McDonald instead of Middlebrooks because of what it adds to the bench.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

It's gotta be Drew and Bogaerts.  Is there even a debate?  Middlebrooks will see some time as a ph, national-league-rules swaps, extra innings, etc. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Boston are hitting well in the last three post season games, why bother to make a line up change.  Leave it alone except to insert Ross in the line up cuz of Lester.  

Once Boston loses a game or two before game #4 or #5, of course, Farrell would consider making a line up change.  Some time it may not favor to a team that try to make a line up change.  Ask Leyland who made alot of changes in the line up, and still lost two out of three games!!

Be careful!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Middlebrooks, definitely.  Bogaerts is a rookie and just got some lucky hits and walks and stuff,plus he has very little experience at 3B. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Middlebrooks, definitely.  Bogaerts is a rookie and just got some lucky hits and walks and stuff,plus he has very little experience at 3B. 

i disagree. it's not like Middy is a seasoned vet himself.... he has a shade over a full season of ABs under his belt. is that really enough "experience" ahead of Bogaerts to play the rookie card?
    On the defensive side, Middlebrooks isn't exactly a great defender. The dropoff from him to Bogaerts should be minimal.

i go with Bogaerts all day. he has been working the counts and seems unflappable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

With the double switches and pinch hitting both will see at bats. However maybe you go with McDonald instead of Middlebrooks because of what it adds to the bench.

What does McDonald add? Nothing. He hit less than .100 this year. Wow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lucky hits and walks? Really? He scored as many runs as anyone on the Red Sox in the ALCS and he only had 6 official at bats. 

Slam dunk, Bogaerts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

XB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Didn't we have this discussion for the ALCS? And when he got the chance XB didn't screw it up. Perhaps a more interesting question is whether Nava should start any games in left if there is a rightie on the mound.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

McDonald adds defensive versatility.  Although if the need a SS, Farrell can move Middlebrooks to 3B and move Bogaerts over to SS.   McDonald is an unlikely add...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Really the point of this thread was about what positions win World Series MVP, and jumping to the surprising and poor conclusion that 3B is the most important position in thr WS.

Starting pitcher (24) is the most common position named to WS MVP,  Followed by 3B (11), catcher, shortstop.

I was surprised to see no CF had ever won a WS MVP, and very few 1b (2).  Two relief pitchers and a DH have won the award...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

It's gotta be Drew and Bogaerts.  Is there even a debate?  Middlebrooks will see some time as a ph, national-league-rules swaps, extra innings, etc. 

Unless Bogaerts struggles, then I think there is no debate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Agree. I've always been more about defense than offense. Doesn't get as much fanfare, but it changes the game when you don't have it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Defense and multuple positions .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Well.....I have been a HUGE Drew supporter all along but the last series I really wanted to see Boggy start at SS and WMB at 3b.  I just liked the potential of better offense.  Plus Boggy is a SS....not a 3B...he's a 3B experiment while WMB is a MLB 3b. 

With that said....I'm thinking that Drew starts all games but is pinch hit for in a close game if there is a LHP up.  Other than that....Boggy over WMB for most games with WMB getting a start in Fenway for one of the games because his swing is excellent for Fenway when it's 'on'.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I would be surprised if Drew doesn't start.

But as pointef out, Middlebrooks will be needed for times if/when Drew needs to be hit for

The Cardinals have career LOOGY Randy Choate and outstanding rookie Kevin Siegrist in the pen, and it is not too unlikely that one of them comes in to face Drew at some point...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Drew definitely starts; he's played decent SS.  WMB sits, the X-factor story continues at 3B.  We may see WMB make 1 or 2 starts, and pinch-hit for Drew against LHP if RS are down in late innings.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sorry Max but not all rookies are created equal....Bogaerts will be favored to win ROY next year and might be our best hitter right now.

At least against RHP, Bogaerts should play and WMB should sit.

I also think against LHP Drew should sit and Bogaerts should play.

He's too good, and the games are too important. 

Sections
Shortcuts