Bogaerts versus Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Bogaerts versus Iglesias

So lost in the JBJ frenzy is the census best prospect the Sox system. My question is why have people fallen head over heals for Iglesias when the next Hanley Rameriz could only be a year away?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Bogaerts versus Iglesias

Having seen both play--defensively I would prefer Iggy.

I could see Boggie moving to LF or 3B with WMB moving to 1 B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

if Xander can be an above average defender then i would definitely make him our SS. If not, then move him to a corner position and hope Iggy can hit.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It may be that WMB replaces Nap if he chooses to go to FA and Xander plays 3B.

So a home grown IF---WMB at 1B, Pedroia at 2B, Iggy at SS and Xander at 3B.

JBJ in CF, ShaVic in RF and Brentz in LF with Gomes the DH. Salty and Ross behind the plate.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bogy is a below average defender at SS. Hes a LF'er or a corner IF'er IMO. This year we will see how he does against advanced pitching in AA. When he was promoted last year he had 20K's to 1 BB...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Bogy is a below average defender at SS. Hes a LF'er or a corner IF'er IMO. This year we will see how he does against advanced pitching in AA. When he was promoted last year he had 20K's to 1 BB...

southi--in addition to those stats--agreed only 23 games/ 92 AB's:

.326 BA

.351 OBP

.598 Slg

.948 OPS 

He had 30 hits--10--2B's and 5 Hr's--17 RBI in 23 games.

Side note :  Participated in the 2009 Senior Little League World Series in Bangor, Maine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

southi--in addition to those stats--agreed only 23 games/ 92 AB's:

.326 BA

.351 OBP

.598 Slg

.948 OPS 

He had 30 hits--10--2B's and 5 Hr's--17 RBI in 23 games.

Side note :  Participated in the 2009 Senior Little League World Series in Bangor, Maine.

Oh, I hear ya. he had good stats. why the K's worry me is because AA is advanced pitching and Im not sure those kind of numbers will be as good at the MLB level.

It also says he gets fooled a lot on offspeed stuff. At the MLB level, those pitchers wont make as many mistakes and will bury him will offspeed stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BINGO !!!   Would love to see that......  just hope that the Drew situation does not screw your/our vision up on this !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have seen Iggy and Bogaerts only in very small sample sizes, ST and WBC and Iggys ML AB's, and clearly Bogaerts minor league #'s are impressive, but the knock on Iggy has been he needs to go back down and work on his plate discipline, and based on what I have seen, Boegaerts plate discipline and pitch recognition may be worse than Iggy's right now.....Iggys is ML ready because of what he brings Defensively, Boegarts clealry has a higher ceiling, but I do not even see him as a 2014 guy yet.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

BINGO !!!   Would love to see that......  just hope that the Drew situation does not screw your/our vision up on this !!!

Bill it would not surprise me, if Iggy continues to hit and play well, primarily field well--that BenC works out a trade for Stephen Drew after the June 16 date for trading FA signees without their consent; he can trade him sooner with his consent.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No one thought Bogaerts would stick at SS, but scouts are coming around and are semi confident that he COULD stay at the position, and he can handle it at the MLB level.

That doesn't mean he SHOULD play the position.  Someone who has a bat like Bogaerts, and his offensive ceiling needs to play the position that suits him best.  Maybe he can play an adequate SS, but if he plays 3B or LF better....then that is where he plays.

Bogaerts is the type of player you build around, never the other way around. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Tell him he's going to the bench, then ask him for his consent.

99% agreed.  Tell him he's going to the bench, then ask him if he has any questions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Needs to be moved to 3B or LF. Red Sox management should see where the farm is at 3B, 1B and corner OF, and make the adjustments.

Absolutely.  They need to forget about this SS thing.  There are multiple reasons why not.  The thing is, he's doing everything he can to stay lean , when his body is trying to fill out.  The reason why he is trying to fight the natural development of his body: to help him stay at SS.

He's not a SS.  Neither was Hanley.

They should convert him to 3B or LF, so we can start the weight gain.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Tell him he's going to the bench, then ask him for his consent.

99% agreed.  Tell him he's going to the bench, then ask him if he has any questions.

B I N G O  !!!1     There ya have have it, agreed on by the "BIG 3", Drewski, Softy, BILL-806  !!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

No one thought Bogaerts would stick at SS, but scouts are coming around and are semi confident that he COULD stay at the position, and he can handle it at the MLB level.

That doesn't mean he SHOULD play the position.  Someone who has a bat like Bogaerts, and his offensive ceiling needs to play the position that suits him best.  Maybe he can play an adequate SS, but if he plays 3B or LF better....then that is where he plays.

Well said.  I was appauled when I read that he is doing everything he can to prevent filling out and adding muscle.

Mashers are harder to find than misplaced SS who dont have the body type to play SS.  This isnt even about baseball, its about the human body.

Move him to LF, let him fill out.  Let him become the 30 HR LFhe should be.  Not the 15 HR poor defensive SS!!!

His value is his bat.  Dont hurt his bat because you stubbornly wont move him from a position that he doesnt have the body type to play!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Well said.  I was appauled when I read that he is doing everything he can to prevent filling out and adding muscle.

Mashers are harder to find than misplaced SS who dont have the body type to play SS.  This isnt even about baseball, its about the human body.

Move him to LF, let him fill out.  Let him become the 30 HR LFhe should be.  Not the 15 HR poor defensive SS!!!

His value is his bat.  Dont hurt his bat because you stubbornly wont move him from a position that he doesnt have the body type to play!!!!!

MEMO to BEN C & Larry LUCCIANNO's,     Must reading, above !!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

You know whats lost in all this?

Iggy batted .230 in AAA in 2011.  He batted .270 in AAA in 2012.  He batted .300 his last month in AAA.

Who says this kid cant hit?  I see rapid progression.  I believe that they did a Iggy a disservice calling him last year.  It was a premature call up.  What if we left him in AAA?   What if he had a .290 in AAA by end of 2011?  Would we have still signed Steven "the bridge" Drew?

I dont know if Iggy is ready.  But Im not going to say he cant hit after he raised his AAA batting average 40 points in a year!  If Iggy progressed the same amount from 2012 to 2013 as he did from 2011 to 2012, then he's ready.  Again, I dont know if this is true.  However, if it is true, he needs to start.  Hopefully, we get a large enough sample to know if this is true by the time Drew returns.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Hopefully , we lied to Drew.  Hopefully we told him he was plan A (knowing all along he was plan B).  Hopefully plan A comes to fruition (Iggy's hitting  progresses as much from 2012 to 2013 as itdid from 2011 to 2012, and he wins the job).

And I like Stephen Drew!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Hopefully , we lied to Drew.  Hopefully we told him he was plan A (knowing all along he was plan B).  Hopefully plan A comes to fruition (Iggy's hitting  progresses as much from 2012 to 2013 as itdid from 2011 to 2012, and he wins the job).

And I like Stephen Drew!!!

I say give drew a chance... If he Has a good first half of the year and iggy is tearing it up down in Triple A then trade drew to a Shortstop Needy team for a nice ransom... Either way i see this as a win win.. Even if drew is doing terrible iggy is still there to replace him... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

You know whats lost in all this?

Iggy batted .230 in AAA in 2011.  He batted .270 in AAA in 2012.  He batted .300 his last month in AAA.

Who says this kid cant hit?  I see rapid progression.  I believe that they did a Iggy a disservice calling him last year.  It was a premature call up.  What if we left him in AAA?   What if he had a .290 in AAA by end of 2011?  Would we have still signed Steven "the bridge" Drew?

I dont know if Iggy is ready.  But Im not going to say he cant hit after he raised his AAA batting average 40 points in a year!  If Iggy progressed the same amount from 2012 to 2013 as he did from 2011 to 2012, then he's ready.  Again, I dont know if this is true.  However, if it is true, he needs to start.  Hopefully, we get a large enough sample to know if this is true by the time Drew returns.

And spending a couple of weeks last winter with Pedroia had to help the CONFIDENCE !!!!