Bogaerts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Bogaerts

This guy has got a swing that is custom made for Fenway.  Cant see him arriving later than September.   Check this out.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/6/24/4458686/red-sox-minor-lines-good-pitching-lucky-pitching-who-cares-xander

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Bogaerts

All in good time.  He's 20 and now at AAA. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Which is crazy.  I think we as fans often expect every prospect to be MLB ready before they are.  You see it here on these boards constantly, don't even mention pumping the brakes with some young guys unless you want to be crucified.  Rememeber JBJ at the beginning of the year? of course there are countless other examples.

Bogaerts just might be that once in a decade prospect you get in your system that is just so good that he is ready earlier.  Some prospects are not just elite with natural ability, but they grow into their bodies sooner, and they make the adjustments quicker and advance quicker.  

Bogaerts has been very young at EVERY stage of the game and EXCEEDED expectations at every level.  Normally I'd agree and say don't rush these guys but Bogaerts very well may be that rare elite talent that can make the jump.  I'm not saying next week, or even by the allstar break but Bogaerts very well may get a cup of coffee this year and he also may very well smash his way into a roster spot. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Which is crazy.  I think we as fans often expect every prospect to be MLB ready before they are.  You see it here on these boards constantly, don't even mention pumping the brakes with some young guys unless you want to be crucified.  Rememeber JBJ at the beginning of the year? of course there are countless other examples.

Bogaerts just might be that once in a decade prospect you get in your system that is just so good that he is ready earlier.  Some prospects are not just elite with natural ability, but they grow into their bodies sooner, and they make the adjustments quicker and advance quicker.  

Bogaerts has been very young at EVERY stage of the game and EXCEEDED expectations at every level.  Normally I'd agree and say don't rush these guys but Bogaerts very well may be that rare elite talent that can make the jump.  I'm not saying next week, or even by the allstar break but Bogaerts very well may get a cup of coffee this year and he also may very well smash his way into a roster spot. 

[/QUOTE]

There's a ton of baseball left to be played and if the kid continues to square up the ball and shows the ability to make adjustments he may well get a cup of coffee come September. He's only been at Pawtucket for less than a month or so and once the league gets a book on him we'll see if he makes the adjustements and continues to rake. To date to your point he has excelled at every level even though he played against "more advanced competiion". So there's no reason to think he won't continue his accent to the major leagues...at 20 he still has three or four years before his prospect clock runs out of time...

That said my guess is they would only call him up, if they saw some value in having him with the big league club. More likely is that he'll spend the winter working on his game and be invited to the major league camp in the spring and given the chance to face more advanced pitching and spend time working with the major league coaching staff. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's a ton of baseball left to be played and if the kid continues to square up the ball and shows the ability to make adjustments he may well get a cup of coffee come September. He's only been at Pawtucket for less than a month or so and once the league gets a book on him we'll see if he makes the adjustements and continues to rake. To date to your point he has excelled at every level even though he played against "more advanced competiion". So there's no reason to think he won't continue his accent to the major leagues...at 20 he still has three or four years before his prospect clock runs out of time...

That said my guess is they would only call him up, if they saw some value in having him with the big league club. More likely is that he'll spend the winter working on his game and be invited to the major league camp in the spring and given the chance to face more advanced pitching and spend time working with the major league coaching staff. 

[/QUOTE]

I think it all depends on where the team is race wise and health wise.  I think there is a very good chance he is on this team by the end of the year.  Drew will likely be traded, WMB may or may not find himself, and who knows what happens on the other side of the infield.

The Sox told Bogaerts that after his first 2 weeks in Pawtucket they were going to have him play multiple positions.  They are planning for him to able to contribute to this team this year if a door opens up and they are linning up more doors.  Why would you ask possibly the best prospect in baseball to play multiple positions?  There really is no other explantation because the only other guy who ever gets asked to play multiple positions is the fringe prospect who learns multiple positions to increase his value  and possibly carve out a niche as a UIF/or increase his trade stock.

I'm not saying Bogaerts will be in Boston, I'm AM saying that if he doesn't do anything to show he can't handle it the Sox will definitely give him that shot. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Already 3HR in 39 AB's. Showing patience at the plate and already showing that he can hit MLB pitching. Hes faced guys who have accumilated a combined 1000+ innings of MLB time. I could see a call up this year depending on the Sox' situation. The next month will be interesting very around here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Already 3HR in 39 AB's. Showing patience at the plate and already showing that he can hit MLB pitching. Hes faced guys who have accumilated a combined 1000+ innings of MLB time. I could see a call up this year depending on the Sox' situation. The next month will be interesting very around here.

It's still a SSS but he is continuing to impress at the next level.  he had that one bad game where he struck out 3 times.  But he could have a whole week like that and I wouldn't worry as he is a 20 year old in AAA.  But the power and the patience is definitely there.  How many 20 year olds have that power/patience combination?  I love it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

It's still a SSS but he is continuing to impress at the next level.  he had that one bad game where he struck out 3 times.  But he could have a whole week like that and I wouldn't worry as he is a 20 year old in AAA.  But the power and the patience is definitely there.  How many 20 year olds have that power/patience combination?  I love it. 

[/QUOTE]

He certainly appears to be a very special player. Those guys that cruise through the system with great success and arrive at the top level by 20 yrs old usually are. I listened to the "minor details" show last weekend and they interviewd Bogey and ranaudo. Bogaerts certainly "gets it". He knows the game, what to look for, how they're pitching him, what adjustments he needs to make and then makes them. Its like the game just comes very "easy" for him than most.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He certainly appears to be a very special player. Those guys that cruise through the system with great success and arrive at the top level by 20 yrs old usually are. I listened to the "minor details" show last weekend and they interviewd Bogey and ranaudo. Bogaerts certainly "gets it". He knows the game, what to look for, how they're pitching him, what adjustments he needs to make and then makes them. Its like the game just comes very "easy" for him than most.

[/QUOTE]

Do you a link to that interview by any chance? or at least want to point me in the right direction.  I'd love to hear that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you a link to that interview by any chance? or at least want to point me in the right direction.  I'd love to hear that. 

[/QUOTE]

Here ya go brother...

http://audio.weei.com/a/76556862/minor-details-ep-55-xander-bogaerts-and-anthony-ranaudo.htm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He does have the three homers , but is batting only. 205 with a .279 OBP. Would like to see an improvement there. Also , I think he should be playing third base. We have a shortstop who is better defensively.  

Stabbed by Foulke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

He does have the three homers , but is batting only. 205 with a .279 OBP. Would like to see an improvement there. Also , I think he should be playing third base. We have a shortstop who is better defensively.  

Stabbed by Foulke.

He's only had 39 at-bats. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here ya go brother...

http://audio.weei.com/a/76556862/minor-details-ep-55-xander-bogaerts-and-anthony-ranaudo.htm

[/QUOTE]

Thank you

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Now that Victorino is being fragile lately, I see Brentz getting called up before Boggy does.  Brentz showing power from the right side which we are craving for.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Now that Victorino is being fragile lately, I see Brentz getting called up before Boggy does.  Brentz showing power from the right side which we are craving for.  

yes but the circumstances that would render a Bogaerts or Brentz call up are pretty much not related.  But if Brentz got called up I'd be very excited to see him, but I think JBJ is still our best option. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ctred, I'm not saying lightning will strike twice but let's just say for the next week you put XMan on a daily diet of pregame and in game situational play at 3 B and his average rose to .250 with 5 HR's and good play 3 B play? Why not give him the same shot as the O's gave Machado and the Rays gave Myers. Or if Cecchini gets scolding hot and is batting over .300, move him to 3 B and Iggy to SS. I'm thinking Cecchini may have he tools to be a modern day Wade Boggs. He appears to have a good eye and he makes contact and 3 B is his natural position as SS is Iggy's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

ctred, I'm not saying lightning will strike twice but let's just say for the next week you put XMan on a daily diet of pregame and in game situational play at 3 B and his average rose to .250 with 5 HR's and good play 3 B play? Why not give him the same shot as the O's gave Machado and the Rays gave Myers. Or if Cecchini gets scolding hot and is batting over .300, move him to 3 B and Iggy to SS. I'm thinking Cecchini may have he tools to be a modern day Wade Boggs. He appears to have a good eye and he makes contact and 3 B is his natural position as SS is Iggy's.

I've been one of the most vocal on this board about Bogaerts getting his shot later this season.

Cecchini is in no way seeing big league time this year.  He was just in single A a week ago.  He probably won't be in the conversation for regular playing time at the MLB level until 2015. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Drew must be gone before XanBo gets called up I think. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

When will you people get it ?  Cecchini just got promoted to AA ball. Not even considering the "book" on him suggests 3b isn't his long term position due to defensive limitations. Success in High A , AA , or even AAA doesn't necessarily translate automatically to Major League Baseball like flipping a switch. It's about failure, adjustments, overcoming new challenges, and adapting to higher pressure environments. Some will, MOST won't.

Bogaerts may " only be hitting .205 " ?????   Gee, maybe we could let him hit for more than a WEEK before we base opinions ?    Let him get his feet under him at a new level before we move him off shortstop ? ( Or, if you're Bill 806 or some others on here, maybe his SSS .205 in Pawtucket indicates he should hit .431 immediately in big leagues ? )

We've already seen Xander steal a base, hit THREE  home runs in what, eight games ?  More importantly, unlike right after his 2012 jump from Salem to Portland, he's taking walks ! Last year it was something like ONE walk vs. 25 K's after the jump, this past week he's already walked four times. So he's definitely making good progress, and PERHAPS we'll see him in Boston before September, although I wouldn't give better than even money on it.

Now, I.M.O. Brentz may get a call up if Victorino has to be D.L'd again......the decision between he and JBJr. should be influenced by how hurt Nava and Carp are also. I don't think Brentz' s ceiling is real high but he should profile as M.L.-capable defense in RF and at least average power, if low on base %.        But I don't KNOW, and neither does anyone else !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

jimedfred, Bogarets is certainly worth defending, but he already has 11 errors this season in 57 games--a lot.  I think he's a bad fit at SS and questionable at 3B, but it is, as you say, early.  He's just 20. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

When will you people get it ?  Cecchini just got promoted to AA ball. Not even considering the "book" on him suggests 3b isn't his long term position due to defensive limitations. Success in High A , AA , or even AAA doesn't necessarily translate automatically to Major League Baseball like flipping a switch. It's about failure, adjustments, overcoming new challenges, and adapting to higher pressure environments. Some will, MOST won't.

Bogaerts may " only be hitting .205 " ?????   Gee, maybe we could let him hit for more than a WEEK before we base opinions ?    Let him get his feet under him at a new level before we move him off shortstop ? ( Or, if you're Bill 806 or some others on here, maybe his SSS .205 in Pawtucket indicates he should hit .431 immediately in big leagues ? )

We've already seen Xander steal a base, hit THREE  home runs in what, eight games ?  More importantly, unlike right after his 2012 jump from Salem to Portland, he's taking walks ! Last year it was something like ONE walk vs. 25 K's after the jump, this past week he's already walked four times. So he's definitely making good progress, and PERHAPS we'll see him in Boston before September, although I wouldn't give better than even money on it.

Now, I.M.O. Brentz may get a call up if Victorino has to be D.L'd again......the decision between he and JBLr. should be influenced by how hurt Nava and Carp are also. I don't think Brentz' s ceiling is real high but he should profile as M.L.-capable defense in RF and at least average power, if low on base %.        But I don't KNOW, and neither does anyone else !

Good post +1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brentz is not on the 40-man roster, so another move would have to be made.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

jimedfred, Bogarets is certainly worth defending, but he already has 11 errors this season in 57 games--a lot.  I think he's a bad fit at SS and questionable at 3B, but it is, as you say, early.  He's just 20. 

Oh, I completely agree SS won't be his position very long, I just meant let the kid get comfortable in Pawtuck before moving him around and possibly discombobulating him. I never did hear how well he fielded third during WBC , did you ?

Also, sometime way back in the past, it seems to me the Yankees had a kid shortstop, once made like 57 errors in one season at short in the minors.  Somehow that glove-butcher managed to last long enough in Bigs to collect over 3000 hits, and is a lock for the Hall of Fame......fellow named , what was it again ??   Beater ? Creature ? Heater ?     oh well, something like that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is why I think JBJ is the man to be called up back and forth.  I also think JBJ has more potential and a higher ceiling than Brentz.  I think Brentz COULD be a better hitter right now, maybe if his power translates to the big leagues....but that is a big if because there is a lot of swing and miss in his swing.

Still there is a lot of guys that will have to moved onto the 40 man soon and I believe Brentz is one of them, so he will either go on it or be traded so the Sox don't lose him.  My guess is the Sox make some moves around the trade deadline and make space on the 40 man for guys they think will still be here.

If Brentz isn't traded then he is added to the 40 man and will get a cup of coffee in August.   Brentz was a prospect I was a little low on this year, and while I don't think he will ever be a star if he can carry through the power he is showing now in Pawtucket.....we can be good with him in RF. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

This is why I think JBJ is the man to be called up back and forth.  I also think JBJ has more potential and a higher ceiling than Brentz.  I think Brentz COULD be a better hitter right now, maybe if his power translates to the big leagues....but that is a big if because there is a lot of swing and miss in his swing.

Still there is a lot of guys that will have to moved onto the 40 man soon and I believe Brentz is one of them, so he will either go on it or be traded so the Sox don't lose him.  My guess is the Sox make some moves around the trade deadline and make space on the 40 man for guys they think will still be here.

If Brentz isn't traded then he is added to the 40 man and will get a cup of coffee in August.   Brentz was a prospect I was a little low on this year, and while I don't think he will ever be a star if he can carry through the power he is showing now in Pawtucket.....we can be good with him in RF. 

[/QUOTE]

I think BB can be a solid MLB OF'er. Maybe not AS type player, but decent BA and OBP with some power. Hes a streaky hitter and will K a bunch. JBJ would def. get the call before Brentz.

I think BC has a much better idea which prospects he will want to protect and Im willing to bet that a couple will go with the right deal.

Sections
Shortcuts