Bogaerts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Bogaerts

They should give boggy a chance to play RIGHT NOW. I mean, why not? Maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle and boggy tears it up and gives the team a boost. He couldnt play any worse than WMB, could he? 

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just to go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

To Mr. XR -whatever grunge rocker :  Are you NUTS ?

You want to put a 20 yr. old with 8-9 games in AAA in the lineup of a contending first place team in the toughest division in baseball in the second-most hype / paparazzi / pressure afflicted city ?   Never mind that he's from a small Caribbean island, with attendant language & cultural differences.

Let me guess, when you teach your three year old child to swim, you just toss him in the deep end and sit back and watch ?

Or do you walk slowly in , at a beach, and let him gradually accustom himself to water ? While holding him , talking to him, letting him feel safe and confident ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

You want to put a 20 yr. old with 8-9 games in AAA in the lineup of a contending first place team in the toughest division in baseball in the second-most hype / paparazzi / pressure afflicted city ?   Never mind that he's from a small Caribbean island, with attendant language & cultural differences.

Let me guess, when you teach your three year old child to swim, you just toss him in the deep end and sit back and watch ?

Or do you walk slowly in , at a beach, and let him gradually accustom himself to water ? While holding him , talking to him, letting him feel safe and confident ?

Yasiel Puig. That's really all that needs to be said. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually there's a whole lot more to be said.  Way to small of sample size in each case.  Two totally different players 2 years apart.  It's also circumstantial, top prospects often find their way to the big leagues when an injury opens up a spot, sometimes they thrive and sometimes they take time to develop.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I mentioned starting to play Bogaerts at 3B last summer. many here said, "what's the hurry- let him try to prove himself at SS..."

Right now, I wish he had more 3B play under his belt.

Bogaerts will probably stay in AAA a few more weeks, at least, but if Drew and Middlebrooks keep struggling, it may be his chance to strike gold early.

As for Brentz, I'm not sure he gets a look anytime real soon. With Shane hurt, we have no CF back-up. Also, although all our other OF'ers are not hitting real well right now, they are mostly still our the top 5 or 6 hitters in recent weeks...

Last 14 days:

1) Carp   1.093

4) Ellsb   .803

6) Gomes .731

10) Nava  .522

Last 28 days:

1) Carp  1.135

4) Ells  .940

5) Gomes .798

8) Nava  .746

Now, if Nava's injuries keep him slumping and SV keeps missing starts, I'd call Brentz up in a flash.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some top OPS of Sox prospects knocking on the MLB door:

Hassan    1.204 (just 45 ABs in AAA and A)

JBJ            .907 (129 in AAA)

Bogaerts  .881  (258 in AA & AAA)

Maier        .849  (98 in AAA)

Brentz      .825  (265 in AAA)

Snyder     .817  (231 in AAA)

Hazelbaker .759 (229 in AAA)

Butler     .734  (136 in AAA)

Sutton     .734 (192 in AAA)

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Watched the video of hs 3 Pawsox homers, one he crushed to left center, the LF didn't move as the ball was 60 feet over his head, one he hit out one handed on a low pitch, and the other he smacked off  LH who left it high in the zone. All three had a high trajectory thit would play well at Fenway. I liked what I saw.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

A BIT similiar, definitely not alike. Puig older, more experience in front of crowds, L.A a warmer , multi-cultural environment. Most important, virtually NO PRESSURE because Dodgers  injury-riddled and well out of contention, and used Puig as a publicity stunt / gate attraction.

Major kudos to the kid, though ...he's apparently handling it all very well and certainly performing so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Seasons by players 20 or under in MLB since 2007:

2012: Trout  .326  30  83 (639 PA)

2010: Heyward .277  18  72 (623)

2012: Harper .270  22 59 (597)

2013: Machado .322 5 38 (350)

2009: Andrus  .267  6  40 (541)

2010: Stanton .259 22 59 (396 )

2010: Castro .300  3  41 (506)

2013: Harper .287  12 23 (178)

2012: Machado .262 7 26 (202)

2008: J Upton .250 15 42 (417)

2010: R Tejada .213  1  15  (255)

2012: J Upton .221  2  11 (152)

5 83

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Best seasons at 21 years since 2007:

2009: J Upton  .300  26  86

2013: Trout  .306  12  46

2011: Castro .307  10 66

2011: Stanton .262  34  87

2010: Andrus  .265  0  35

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Two words----------------------Machado -------Myers -----in the tough AL East.

Maybe he will be a failure if you brought him up----if he bats below .195 he should go back down. Just like Brentz you will need to put XMan on the 40 someone has to go.

If it appears ShaVic misses 5-6 games bring up JBJ or put Brentz on the 40 and bring him up. The Sox need all hands on deck---a full 25 man roster and the best 25 we've got.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

If Bogaerts gets called up this year he very well may struggle, but he might hit the ground running and help this team push into the playoffs.  But regardless he is putting up the numbers to prove correct what his scouting told us he was capable of.  He projects as an All-Star level player and his ceiling is the best player in the league.

Normally I'm very outspoken on pumping the breaks on prospects because most players take much more time to develop and longer to make adjustments.  There's nothing wrong with taking time either, because many of those guys still turn out to be above average players and even all-stars.  But elite talent that pans out doesn't always knock on the door.....they kick it down.  I think Bogaerts can be that guy and I can't wait to see him in our lineup everyday.

He might get a good year with Papi, but I'd really like to see the Sox go out and get a big time bat to supplement him in the lineup so we can have a dominant 1-2 punch. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

This is best article i've read so far on XB, even if it is from the 14th.

http://m.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/06/14/coming-young-age-understanding-xander-bogaerts

That link from SP was great. I wasn't aware he spoke English that well or at all for that matter. I don't mean it as a dig, i think most of the

time that helps. As far as coaching goes, that is. Things can get lost in translation, literally. That's great. XB sounds smart & down to earth. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

If Bogaerts gets called up this year he very well may struggle, but he might hit the ground running and help this team push into the playoffs.  But regardless he is putting up the numbers to prove correct what his scouting told us he was capable of.  He projects as an All-Star level player and his ceiling is the best player in the league.

Normally I'm very outspoken on pumping the breaks on prospects because most players take much more time to develop and longer to make adjustments.  There's nothing wrong with taking time either, because many of those guys still turn out to be above average players and even all-stars.  But elite talent that pans out doesn't always knock on the door.....they kick it down.  I think Bogaerts can be that guy and I can't wait to see him in our lineup everyday.

He might get a good year with Papi, but I'd really like to see the Sox go out and get a big time bat to supplement him in the lineup so we can have a dominant 1-2 punch. 

[/QUOTE]

That would be very interesting if Ortiz was still around.XB cld learn a lot from that experience alone. 

Obviously, theres no one way to brings these prospects up to MLB, as we've all witnessed throughout the years. As long as a prospect forces the conversation, they're in good territory. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That would be very interesting if Ortiz was still around.XB cld learn a lot from that experience alone. 

Obviously, theres no one way to brings these prospects up to MLB, as we've all witnessed throughout the years. As long as a prospect forces the conversation, they're in good territory. 

[/QUOTE]

Now, I may be reaching, but Papi may not be done after 2014. If he continues to hit the ball, I see not reason not to keep giving him 1yr deals if hes still producing. The way hes hitting the ball, I could see him here in 2015 too. Just saying its a very good possibility. Which, IMO, is good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now, I may be reaching, but Papi may not be done after 2014. If he continues to hit the ball, I see not reason not to keep giving him 1yr deals if hes still producing. The way hes hitting the ball, I could see him here in 2015 too. Just saying its a very good possibility. Which, IMO, is good.

[/QUOTE]

Papi is starting to reach Mo territory....every year people are saying "how is this guy still this good?"

We know it can't last forever and giving his age it has to come soon.   I could see him falling off a cliff anywhere from next year until 4 years from now.  Some guys are so good that they can hit into their early 40's and that's all he has to do.

I'm not oblivous to the fact that Ortiz's days are numbered here but I did learn a very important lesson about big papi a few years ago: Don't EVER bet against him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'm not oblivous to the fact that Ortiz's days are numbered here but I did learn a very important lesson about big papi a few years ago: Don't EVER bet against him

+1 ...I was watching him go deep once again the other night and remembering that a lot of us were starting to think he was done about 3-4 years ago. Kind of unbelievable now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Unless something unforeseen happens, it seems that Bogaerts will get a chance to be our starting 3Bman for 2014. Chances are we pick up a corner IF'er to cover 1B (with Carp) and 3B (if Boggy struggles).

If Middlebrooks gets his act together at the plate, I'd start playing him at 1B in AAA.

We may also see Bogaerts moved to 1B at some point. I don't see him as an OF'er as some here have suggested.

Sox4ever