Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach

Per Espn http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7375773/jerry-royster-new-boston-red-sox-3b-coach-tim-bogar-bench

Bogar expected to be in line for next Red Sox managing job....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach

Bogar should be safer on the bench, than third base.  He may be in line for a while, WC9

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

im glad that bogar will no longer be the 3B coach. he is one of the worst 3B coaches i have ever seen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

3b coach is one of the most thankless jobs in sports. You have to make split second decisions that can affect the outcome of game, yet if the casual fan knows your name, it likely means you are considered awful. If you remain fairly anonymous, you are really not considered at all...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Good moves Bogar is a smart baseball man but I agree not a great third base coach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In the pst twenty years there has never been a third base coach liked in Boston especialy a RS coach
  7. Dick Berardino: 1991
  8. Don Zimmer: 1992-July 25, 1992
  9. Rick Burleson: July 25, 1992-1993
  10. Gary Allenson: 1994
  11. Dave Oliver: 1995-1996
  12. Wendell Kim: 1997-2000
  13. Gene Lamont: 2001
  14. Mike Cubbage: 2002-2003
  15. Dale Sveum: 2004-2005
  16. DeMarlo Hale: 2006-2009
  17. Tim Bogar: 2010-Present

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I liked hale. It isnt complicated. If there are less than 2 outs, unless it is a fast runner or ball is hit wide or deep or slow enough, you put the stop sign up. If the game is tied and it is the winning run, you make your decision based upon outfielder history, runner and position and speed of ball to OF. If less than 2 outs, any hesitation in your snap time judgment means stop sign. Bogar was terrible at it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If there are less than 2 outs, unless it is a fast runner or ball is hit wide or deep or slow enough, you put the stop sign up. If the game is tied and it is the winning run, you make your decision based upon outfielder history, runner and position and speed of ball to OF. If less than 2 outs, any hesitation in your snap time judgment means stop sign

That is not complicated???? Then you have to do it in a split second decision.Then lets not forget players running through signs.

It ain't easy and is the reason why many teams change 3rd base coaches yearly and the ones that stay are there for a long time. Like Randolp for the NY back a few years ago when he was there for 5 or 6 yrs.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

In Response to Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach:
    Bogar should be safer on the bench, than third base.  He may be in line for a while, WC9
    Posted by J-BAY

He very well may be J but do you think they will skip over him the same way the did DeMarlo Hale, once Valentine's tenure is over?  And bad 3rd base coach doesn't mean bad manager.  The front office obviously wanted to keep Bogar around.  Who knows, maybe Valentine will be more successful than Francona and be a staple as Red Sox manager.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

this is great news.  we just bought another 10-20 runs that we would have sacrificed to Tim "Don't call me Wendell Kim" Bogar's horrendous base "coaching".

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Best news I've heard this offseason.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach : He very well may be J but do you think they will skip over him the same way the did DeMarlo Hale, once Valentine's tenure is over?  And bad 3rd base coach doesn't mean bad manager.  The front office obviously wanted to keep Bogar around.  Who knows, maybe Valentine will be more successful than Francona and be a staple as Red Sox manager.
    Posted by westcoastsox9

Yes I think it's probable WC9. They passed over a few of their own this time around, Sveum and Hale. I think it was Valentine who wanted to keep Bogar around. Regardless, the fact Bogar will be watching the runners at third and not stopping, waving them in or both, may be the best move they've made this offseason.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A third base coach has to think ahead and be aware of the game situation. Score , inning , number of outs, speed of runner , arm strength of outfielders and cut off men, on deck hitter, etc.  When they don't have a plan , they rely on split second decisions, and that is when the blunders occur.  Bogar made quite a few blunders. He will do less damage on the bench , and maybe learn something from Bobby V.  A bench coach is really just unnecessary overhead on the payroll. They serve no real purpose.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Novel idea:  Have a 3B coach who actually ran the bases (and ran them well) at the Major league level for many years coach runners!

Same complaints made about Bogar were made about Sveum.  Doesn't mean that they aren't/weren't good communicators with players, or good tacticians and worthy of a major league managing position.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

A third base coach has to think ahead and be aware of the game situation. Score , inning , number of outs, speed of runner , arm strength of outfielders and cut off men, on deck hitter, etc.  When they don't have a plan , they rely on split second decisions, and that is when the blunders occur.  Bogar made quite a few blunders. He will do less damage on the bench , and maybe learn something from Bobby V.  A bench coach is really just unnecessary overhead on the payroll. They serve no real purpose.
    Posted by dgalehouse

If they serve no purpose then why does every team have one? Seems if every team has one they must serve some purpose. Not every team would throw away 100K for a guy who serves no purpose.
    Kind of like saying the Vice President serves no purpose I guess.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach : If they serve no purpose then why does every team have one? Seems if every team has one they must serve some purpose. Not every team would throw away 100K for a guy who serves no purpose. Kind of like saying the Vice President serves no purpose I guess.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

same analogy, Jim. The Vice President is in place, by in large, in the event the President is unable to serve. The same holds true with managers. If they're tossed, the bench coach takes over. I strongly suspect Bogar will get more time at the helm than Hale did, with Valentine in disquiseTongue out

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Good moves Bogar is a smart baseball man but I agree not a great third base coach.
    Posted by DaBlade

Out of curiosity, how do you know he was a smart baseball man?  Did you read it in the NY Times or Boston Globe?

In Response to Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach : If they serve no purpose then why does every team have one? Seems if every team has one they must serve some purpose. Not every team would throw away 100K for a guy who serves no purpose. Kind of like saying the Vice President serves no purpose I guess.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Why does every team have one?  Good question. I have no idea. Seems like a waste of money to me.  The position did not use to exist. Hale was a good third base coach. As a bench coach , he seemed to have no role. If the manager is ejected , the pitching coach could take over. The manager still calls the shots anyway. Some states have lieutenant governors to cover when the governor is away.  There are many ways to waste money. Teams have things like " special assistants."  Do you really think Valentine needs Bogar sitting next to him?         " Bench coach " is just something that has come to be accepted , and no one really thinks about whether it is needed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Bogar was a terrible third base coach. I have been calling for his firing for two years. He is still here but at least not at third. He cost sox five games last year with bonehead decisions.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

3b coach is one of the most thankless jobs in sports. You have to make split second decisions that can affect the outcome of game, yet if the casual fan knows your name, it likely means you are considered awful. If you remain fairly anonymous, you are really not considered at all...
    Posted by jasko2248

Apparently, these days being an awfulk Sox 3B coach is the precursor to being the next big thing as a Manager.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach":
    In Response to Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach : Apparently, these days being an awfulk Sox 3B coach is the precursor to being the next big thing as a Manager. Posted by SoxFanInIL
    Lol...apparently there is a 3rd base coach text book out there that explains what to do in every situation, regardless of the circumstances. We just keep hiring guys who can't read. Good luck, Jerry Roster, you'll need it...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Everything that made Bogar a bad 3B coach is irrelevant in his new role....good to have him back.

In Response to Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach : Why does every team have one?  Good question. I have no idea. Seems like a waste of money to me.  The position did not use to exist. Hale was a good third base coach. As a bench coach , he seemed to have no role. If the manager is ejected , the pitching coach could take over. The manager still calls the shots anyway. Some states have lieutenant governors to cover when the governor is away.  There are many ways to waste money. Teams have things like " special assistants."  Do you really think Valentine needs Bogar sitting next to him?         " Bench coach " is just something that has come to be accepted , and no one really thinks about whether it is needed.
    Posted by dgalehouse

If you ever do watch a game I suggest you watch the bench more often. One thing the BC is involved in is with the PC so as to position fielders according to how the pitcher is pitching to each batter. They also have a book (not all) that both he and the manager refer to just like the PC does for hitters. The manager cna not know it all and the PC and BC are assistants all game long to the manager.They are far from being a waste of money.

In Response to Re: Bogar to Red Sox bench and Jerry Royster to 3B Coach : If you ever do watch a game I suggest you watch the bench more often. One thing the BC is involved in is with the PC so as to position fielders according to how the pitcher is pitching to each batter. They also have a book (not all) that both he and the manager refer to just like the PC does for hitters. The manager cna not know it all and the PC and BC are assistants all game long to the manager.They are far from being a waste of money.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

If I ever do watch a game????????????    I get it now. You are just a wise guy. A know it all. Tell you what Jim, I know more baseball and have more business sense than you could ever hope of having. The bench coach is window dressing , and a total waste of money. Also , I could really give a shot what you suggest I watch. Don't even bother to reply to me again. I can't stand an attitude like yours. You can't have a discussion without resorting to juvenile sarcasm.

• Sections
    Shortcuts