Bold Deadline Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Bold Deadline Predictions

In the spirit of making bold predictions, something I am not ashamed to do especially given the anonymity these forums provide, here is my glimpse into the future of that is in store around the July 31 trade deadline.

The Sox will not acquire a starting pitcher.   Not anyone we think of as one, anyway.

The Sox will trade Brandon Workman (and possibly Keury de la Cruz) to the Cubs for Carlos Villanueva.   Villanueva is not the sexy name fans might want to see, but he is a versatile pitcher capable of getting hitters out.  He has experience in middle relief roles, starting roles and even in the AL East.  He is also under contract for next season (at $5mill).  Workman is an Epstein draftee who could end up as a victim of a 40-man roster crunch.   The inclusion of de la Cruz also helps with potential 40-man roster issues in December.

There are two possibilities for a second trade for 2013, and Sox fans will not like either of them.  The more likely one is that the Sox will trade a very minor player (Cody Kukuk? ) to the Dodgres for Juan Uribe and his entire salary.  The other, grander possibility is that the Sox make a fairly big splash in acquiring Trevor Plouffe from Minnesota for a fairly comparable haul that would probably include 2 from Brentz, Marrero, and Alamanzar.   Uribe is FA after 2013, is having a good season, and is a better defender.  Plouffe is controlled through 2018, plays about anywhere, but couldn’t catch a cold if he was naked in Norway.   The much cooler possibility for 3B would be dealing Stephen Drew for David Freese.  The Cards get a better hitter than Kozma at SS, could move Matt Carpenter to 3B, and bring up top prospect Kolten Wong for 2B.  It won’ t happen.  Freese, lackluster as he has been this year, is controlled for longer than Drew, and Drew is not exactly making himself marketable by being on the DL.

In a future implications move, the Sox will trade Will Middlebrooks to the Angels for Hank Conger.   Both Middlebrooks and Conger are former highly-regarded prospects who have proved very little in limited opportunities.  Each fills a positional need for the other team in the near future.  With Iannetta signed through 2015, and top 3B prospect Kaleb Cowart struggling in AA ball, the Angels need to look beyond Alberto Callaspo at 3B, and do so cheaply.  The Sox are loaded at 3b, but their catcher situation after Saltalamacchia is unclear, with potential candidates including Lavarnway, Butler, and Vazquez.  There are pluses and minues to each, and usually more minuses.  Vazquez is probably the best option, but he is also an AA guy right now.  Lavarnway appears to be a backup at best.  Butler clearly is, and is a potential DFA candidate this December.  Conger is not exactly a sure thing, but at least gives another potential candidate to throw into the mix, and one with a very significant upside.  This deal could also wait until December, so don’t hold your breath. 

Bold...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Bold Deadline Predictions

Very bold.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In the spirit of making bold predictions, something I am not ashamed to do especially given the anonymity these forums provide, here is my glimpse into the future of that is in store around the July 31 trade deadline.

The Sox will not acquire a starting pitcher.   Not anyone we think of as one, anyway.

The Sox will trade Brandon Workman (and possibly Keury de la Cruz) to the Cubs for Carlos Villanueva.   Villanueva is not the sexy name fans might want to see, but he is a versatile pitcher capable of getting hitters out.  He has experience in middle relief roles, starting roles and even in the AL East.  He is also under contract for next season (at $5mill).  Workman is an Epstein draftee who could end up as a victim of a 40-man roster crunch.   The inclusion of de la Cruz also helps with potential 40-man roster issues in December.

There are two possibilities for a second trade for 2013, and Sox fans will not like either of them.  The more likely one is that the Sox will trade a very minor player (Cody Kukuk? ) to the Dodgres for Juan Uribe and his entire salary.  The other, grander possibility is that the Sox make a fairly big splash in acquiring Trevor Plouffe from Minnesota for a fairly comparable haul that would probably include 2 from Brentz, Marrero, and Alamanzar.   Uribe is FA after 2013, is having a good season, and is a better defender.  Plouffe is controlled through 2018, plays about anywhere, but couldn’t catch a cold if he was naked in Norway.   The much cooler possibility for 3B would be dealing Stephen Drew for David Freese.  The Cards get a better hitter than Kozma at SS, could move Matt Carpenter to 3B, and bring up top prospect Kolten Wong for 2B.  It won’ t happen.  Freese, lackluster as he has been this year, is controlled for longer than Drew, and Drew is not exactly making himself marketable by being on the DL.

In a future implications move, the Sox will trade Will Middlebrooks to the Angels for Hank Conger.   Both Middlebrooks and Conger are former highly-regarded prospects who have proved very little in limited opportunities.  Each fills a positional need for the other team in the near future.  With Iannetta signed through 2015, and top 3B prospect Kaleb Cowart struggling in AA ball, the Angels need to look beyond Alberto Callaspo at 3B, and do so cheaply.  The Sox are loaded at 3b, but their catcher situation after Saltalamacchia is unclear, with potential candidates including Lavarnway, Butler, and Vazquez.  There are pluses and minues to each, and usually more minuses.  Vazquez is probably the best option, but he is also an AA guy right now.  Lavarnway appears to be a backup at best.  Butler clearly is, and is a potential DFA candidate this December.  Conger is not exactly a sure thing, but at least gives another potential candidate to throw into the mix, and one with a very significant upside.  This deal could also wait until December, so don’t hold your breath. 

Bold...

Great stuff, Notin...Bold indeed...I know your not a Middlebrooks guy, most have jumped off that bandwagon from last year, but I'm fairly certain the Sox organization has no plans to move him at all, and actually plan on the kid being here for a long time...we'll see

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyrob73. Show hockeyrob73's posts

I'm gonna go ahead and say francisco rodriguez.  Or, any of the bullpen arms from the Brewers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Well, I am ashamed, so that's why I'll let you do it.

Bold...

Thank you for your bold predictions, which I put in bold by the way.  I will make no predictions. but I reserve the right to criticize and mock other predictions with smug condecension after most, if not all of you, have either been proven wrong with your trade predictions or have been proven right with your trade predictions, but the acquired players will not have exceeded the excessive expectations I will have set for them.   You will also be outed in a later thread where I will herald the accomplishments of the players that got away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

Well, I am ashamed, so that's why I'll let you do it.

Bold...

Thank you for your bold predictions, which I put in bold by the way.  I will make no predictions. but I reserve the right to criticize and mock otherpredictions with smug condecension after most, if not all of you, have either been proven wrong with your trade predictions or have been proven right with your trade predictions, but the acquired players will not have exceeded the excessive expectations I will have set for them.   You will also be outed in a later thread where I will herald the accomplishments of the players that got away.

[/QUOTE]

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

rumor down here is the phillies are leaning towards beeing "buyers".  they have already contacted the yankees regarding joba.  i was hopefull Lee would be available and would have been ok with 2 prospects (middy + 1 of the catchers) for him.  now my bold prediction is we will grab 1 or 2 meh middle relievers....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Bold...

Hard to conjecture about this stuff; it's likely easier to pick a Trifecta; regardless, well done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ok, I guess if were having fun and making a "BOLD" prediction, here it goes.

The Sox will talk with the SD padres and acquire Luke Gregerson for the bullpen for 2b/SS Heiker Menesesand P Chris Hernandez. Maybe another lower level prospect if needed, but I wouldnt think so. Gregerson has good numbers in late inning situations, is under control through 2014 at a decent cost. Meneses is a solid 2b at AA Portland and can play both SS or 2b. Off to a slow start since being promoted, but has show improvements at every level. Chris Hernandez can be a good BOTR, or MOTR starter in MLB as well as a good BP arm. Both are under control for 6 years and would clear out some rule 5 issues.

They also acquire LHP Matt Thornton and C prospect Michael Blanke from the CWS for 2 players from 1b/3b Michael Almanzar, SS Jose Vinicio, RP Brock Huntzinger, 1bTravis Shaw, OF Jeremy Hazelbaker, and Kuery De La Cruz.

I see nothing available for the left side of the IF thats worthtrading for and whos on a short deal, ie; FA after this year. Michael Young has awful D and no power, so hes no good. A. Ramirez (currently on 15-day DL) Has a big contract through 2014 and would block either WMB or Bogaerts at a hefty price.

I predict Buch will come back and start where he left off. Lester will be up and down, but by the end of the year be more up than down. Lackey and Doubront prove to be the best pitchers on the staff along with Buchholz. No SP trades are made.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

rumor down here is the phillies are leaning towards beeing "buyers".  they have already contacted the yankees regarding joba.  i was hopefull Lee would be available and would have been ok with 2 prospects (middy + 1 of the catchers) for him.  now my bold prediction is we will grab 1 or 2 meh middle relievers....

Why would the Phillies want an at the moment disappointing 3rd baseman and a catcher prospect when they have one of the best in the bigs in Ruiz? And for an arguably stud SP? When you project trades, which are usually an exercise in futility, you need to assess the needs of the other team, as well as the mindset of the GM and organization; they're not going to be Santa Claus.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I see Ben getting one or two relievers, period.  The offseason is another story. 

The lesson from last year's in season trades is addition by subtraction. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Why would the Phillies want an at the moment disappointing 3rd baseman and a catcher prospect when they have one of the best in the bigs in Ruiz? And for an arguably stud SP? When you project trades, which are usually an exercise in futility, you need to assess the needs of the other team, as well as the mindset of the GM and organization; they're not going to be Santa Claus.

education time:

have you seen ruiz numbers since last year AS break?  phillie phans are starting to turn on him and FO is only playing him at this point because:  contract.  it is obvious his pre AS #'s last year were due to his PED use.  the philles have zero prospects in their system and would love to add and lose Lee's contract $$$$. 

btw - i spend much of my work week in NE philly so i get to hear the philly phans all day long.  and then i get to listen to philly sports radio driving.  i think i have a pretty good grasp of their wants.  what ruben amarro does is a crapshoot though.  that man is a lunatic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I see Ben getting one or two relievers, period.  The offseason is another story. 

The lesson from last year's in season trades is addition by subtraction. 

excellent point.  albeit last year they were headed to the basement while this year we find ourselves heading to the deadline in first place.  may change the focus a bit....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's my BOLD predictions:

Sox trade de la Torre, Coyle and de la Cruz to CWS for RP Jessie Crain

Sox trade 2 of Webster/Britton/Barnes/Workman, 2 of Brentz/Wilson/Marrero/Almanzar, and 3 of Lin/Mercedes/Margot/Hazelbaker/Hassan/Jacobs/Snyder/T Shaw to MILW for 3B Aramis Ramirez & SP Yovani Gallardo.

Our 100% healthy 25 man roster:

C: Salty/Ross (AAA Lava)

1B: Napoli/Carp (AAA Middlebrooks)

2B: Pedroia

SS: Iglesias/Drew

3B: Ramirez/(AAA Holt/Boagerts/Middlebrooks)

LF: Nava/Gomes (Carp)

CF: Ellsbury (Vict) (AAA JBJ)

RF: Victorino (Nava)

DH: Ortiz

SP1: Buchholz

SP2: Lackey

SP3: Gallardo

SP4: Doubront

SP5: Dempster

SP6/LR: Lester

Closer: Uehara

RP2: Crain

RP3: Tazawa

RP4: Breslow

RP5: Bailey

RP6: Aceves

RP7: Morales 

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

education time:

have you seen ruiz numbers since last year AS break?  phillie phans are starting to turn on him and FO is only playing him at this point because:  contract.  it is obvious his pre AS #'s last year were due to his PED use.  the philles have zero prospects in their system and would love to add and lose Lee's contract $$$$. 

btw - i spend much of my work week in NE philly so i get to hear the philly phans all day long.  and then i get to listen to philly sports radio driving.  i think i have a pretty good grasp of their wants.  what ruben amarro does is a crapshoot though.  that man is a lunatic.

Ruiz is injured this yr; I also haven't heard anything about him being on the outs, or whispers about PED use, which doesn't mean there weren't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox trade 2 of Webster/Britton/Barnes/Workman, 2 of Brentz/Wilson/Marrero/Almanzar, and 3 of Lin/Mercedes/Margot/Hazelbaker/Hassan/Jacobs/Snyder/T Shaw to MILW for 3B Aramis Ramirez & SP Yovani Gallardo.

Sox4ever

I can't see the Sox having any interest at all in Ramirez, especially when you consider he is signed through next season.  Drew is on the way back and Middlebrooks or Boegarts are other alternatives for 3rd.  

Also, who is Gallardo replacing in the rotation?  Unless Buchholz has a setback in the next few weeks, or another starter gets hurt, they aren't going to trade for a starter like Gallardo.  They don't have a spot in the rotation for him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Sox4ever

Well thought out, but projecting a roster on these long shots is overkill IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

My Bold predictions on trades is that the Sox are going to make at most one trade and that trade will be for a lefty reliever.....and that is only because of Miller's injury....Thorton is a good possibility...other than that they are standing pat, unless one of their core gets injured.....Offensively they believe they have enough now, with WMB, Bradley and Boegarts as late callups to help if necessary....as for the Starters, they expect to get Buch back after the Break.....Lackey and Doubront have been very solid....Dempster has given them exactly what they paid for and maybe more.....and they wont be BOLD enough to give up on Lester....and I dont think they want to move any or more  of the Top 3 pitching prospects to add a stud starter, which is the only way the rotation would be improved......Farrell has confidence in Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow and even Bailey in the Pen.....he would love another closer but they are not giving up a ton to get one, because they think Uehara can do the job....so right now they are short two guys in the Pen...they seem to like Wilson but he is probably not someone they will want o depend on down the stretch. They are proabbly holding out hope that Morales will be back healthy for August...they had RDLR in their back posket as a September callup for the Pen, so they need a veteran lefty to fill the role that Miller played.....other than that, the organization is thinking Long term Big Picture....holding on their kids and believing that the roster they have is good enough to make the playoffs and if healthy good enough to have a 50/50 shot to beat Detroit, Texas, Oakland, or Tampa in the playoffs....so there is no need to a)upset the good feelings and chemistry that this roster has brought(and the stink it has removed) and b) take a chance to end up with egg on your face for giving up young talent to add a veteran who may do nothing for you, as has happened many times in the past...ala Eric Gagne.....right now Ben has a "Good Job" on his resume for this season...he won't risk that to go all in and then not succeed 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Ruiz is injured this yr; I also haven't heard anything about him being on the outs, or whispers about PED use, which doesn't mean there weren't.

sorry, my bad.  it was amphetamines he was suspended for. 

2013 = 0 HR / 6 RBI's in 129 PA's

2nd half 2012 = 3 HR / 22 RBI's in 132 PA's

contract is up after this season making the phillies a perfect match for catching prospects.  but i guess i will continue my "exercise in fuitility" just the same.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Gotta love moonslav because he does in fact generate something bold when bold is asked for.

That said, there is no way I see those two coming to the Sox, primarily because they would be a marginal at best improvement on guys the Sox already have.  Lester right now has a lower ERA, lower WHIP, and pitches more innings per start than Gallardo, and Lester is doing that in a much tougher league.  As for Aramis Ramirez, why goe to all this trouble for a guy whose OPS is under .800 so far this year? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I can't see the Sox having any interest at all in Ramirez, especially when you consider he is signed through next season.  Drew is on the way back and Middlebrooks or Boegarts are other alternatives for 3rd.  

They are not realistic pluses at 3B for a ring run. Drew is only good vs RHPs and Ramirez is better anyways, plus it allows Iggy to play SS- a huge plus for our staff.

Yes, Ramirez is signed through 2014, but Boggy may need another year, and Middlebrooks (and Boggy) can take Napoli's place at 1B next year, if they prove they can hit MLB pitching well enough.

Ramirez does very well vs LHPs (a high need area), but also hits righties pretty well (better than Drew).

Also, who is Gallardo replacing in the rotation?  Unless Buchholz has a setback in the next few weeks, or another starter gets hurt, they aren't going to trade for a starter like Gallardo.  They don't have a spot in the rotation for him. 

So far, we have used Aceves for 6 starts, Webster for 6 starts, and Morales for 1. That's 13 starts, which is less than we have needed in recent years. Buchholz is hurt, Lester is struggling, and one can never have too many starting pitchers. One can be used in long relief, or something radical like making Dempster or Lester the closer could be considered. We could also trade Lester for some good prospects to replenish what we had to give up for the three guys we just got.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Gotta love moonslav because he does in fact generate something bold when bold is asked for.

That said, there is no way I see those two coming to the Sox, primarily because they would be a marginal at best improvement on guys the Sox already have.  Lester right now has a lower ERA, lower WHIP, and pitches more innings per start than Gallardo, and Lester is doing that in a much tougher league.  As for Aramis Ramirez, why goe to all this trouble for a guy whose OPS is under .800 so far this year? 

Have you seen Drew's OPS this year, especially vs LHPs? Also, look at the career numbers or rrecent 2-3 year numbers on Drew vs Ramirez. It is much more than a marginal upgrade.

Let's compare the 2012-2013 numbers: 

Ramirez: .293/.360/.510/.870 (vs LHPs .344/.591/.934 vs RHPs .365/.481/.846)

S. Drew: .227/.311/.376/.687 (vs LHPs .251/.325/.576  vs RHPs .336/.398/.734)

Couple these huge offensive gains with a gain on defense with Iggy/Ramirez over Drew/Iggy and it is a big projected plus.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They are not realistic pluses at 3B for a ring run. Drew is only good vs RHPs and Ramirez is better anyways, plus it allows Iggy to play SS- a huge plus for our staff.

Yes, Ramirez is signed through 2014, but Boggy may need another year, and Middlebrooks (and Boggy) can take Napoli's place at 1B next year, if they prove they can hit MLB pitching well enough.

Ramirez does very well vs LHPs (a high need area), but also hits righties pretty well (better than Drew).

So far, we have used Aceves for 6 starts, Webster for 6 starts, and Morales for 1. That's 13 starts, which is less than we have needed in recent years. Buchholz is hurt, Lester is struggling, and one can never have too many starting pitchers. One can be used in long relief, or something radical like making Dempster or Lester the closer could be considered. We could also trade Lester for some good prospects to replenish what we had to give up for the three guys we just got.

Sox4ever

When Drew goes on one of his hitting streaks, he can hit any LHP out there. Didnt you notice that in late april through May. Hes streaky is all.

I thought they were supposed to be bold realistic trades...

A. Ramirez and Gallarado make no sense...

What Bold realistic trade would you make for a PO run Moon?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Yes, Ramirez is signed through 2014, but Boggy may need another year, and Middlebrooks (and Boggy) can take Napoli's place at 1B next year, if they prove they can hit MLB pitching well enough

Ok, the Sox may or may not be better off for the short term, but I'm just saying there is no way they make a trade for Ramirez.  They will bring Middlebrooks up on August 1st before they do that and they'll put Drew at short & Iglesias back at 3rd before they trade for Ramirez...Not happening.

The Sox aren't going to trade for a middle of the rotation starter, again, unless somebody gets hurt.  Are  they going to put Gallardo in Pawtucket when Buchholz comes back?  It's nice to have depth, but you don't trade prospects for a 6th starter at the deadline.  Not happening...

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

Have you seen Drew's OPS this year, especially vs LHPs? Also, look at the career numbers or rrecent 2-3 year numbers on Drew vs Ramirez. It is much more than a marginal upgrade.

Let's compare the 2012-2013 numbers: 

Ramirez: .293/.360/.510/.870 (vs LHPs .344/.591/.934 vs RHPs .365/.481/.846)

S. Drew: .227/.311/.376/.687 (vs LHPs .251/.325/.576  vs RHPs .336/.398/.734)

Couple these huge offensive gains with a gain on defense with Iggy/Ramirez over Drew/Iggy and it is a big projected plus.

[/QUOTE]

I know you don't put much stock in "team chemistry," but Ramirez has a reputation for being a bit of a jerk, as well as being lazy.  He doesn't fit the Sox at all.  Not trying to beat a dead horse, just saying there is zero chance the Sox trade for him.

Sections
Shortcuts