Bold Deadline Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Bold Deadline Predictions

Sox will trade Webster, Middlebrooks, and Britton for Lee.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Trade Bailey or Aceves or a prospect even up for Rafael Betancourt of the Rockies--initially a pick of the Red Sox; age 38. Consisently good ERA and WHIP. He has a mutual buy out option; $4+M is his current pay.

He's coming off a groin injury but he has been pretty consistent during his career. You could use him as a set-up guy and an occasional closer.

You could also keep in mind for those not willing to trade Lester--move Lester to the pen as your lefty reliever and put Thornton on the market. I know---wondered how long it would take for someone to suggest trading Thornton.

Closers are closers in the AL or NL.

Might be worth a call to Colorado.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Trade Bailey or Aceves or a prospect even up for Rafael Betancourt of the Rockies--initially a pick of the Red Sox; age 38. Consisently good ERA and WHIP. He has a mutual buy out option; $4+M is his current pay.

He's coming off a groin injury but he has been pretty consistent during his career. You could use him as a set-up guy and an occasional closer.

You could also keep in mind for those not willing to trade Lester--move Lester to the pen as your lefty reliever and put Thornton on the market. I know---wondered how long it would take for someone to suggest trading Thornton.

Colorado is only 4.5 games out of first in a weak division.  MLB Trade Rumors say they are looking to "add" relief pitching.  There is no way Lester is going to the bullpen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

WE are not trading a guy we just traded for (Thornton). Lester is NOT going to the pen or getting traded either. The Rockies are only 4.5 games out of 1st place in a very weak NLW. they are still in the race as of right now. We have plenty of guys in house that can give us what the 38yr old RB can give us for a lot less $$/players. 

Bailey has already turned things around and is an important part of that BP. You DONT trade a player away from our most needed and weakest spot. Aceves, yes. But no teams claimed him on waivers and the word is that no GM is really interested in him, for obvious reasons. I see him as a non-tender candidate this winter, or a throw in with a trade.

Once again, if you want to trade for a BP arm, you dont give current BP arm up to get him. That makes no sense. BP is a position of need. Think of a player that is rule 5 eligible and will not be able to be protected this year. We need to try and get something for them before a team claims a couple of them this winter like we did with Jacobs.

Almanzar, Brentz, Britton, De La Cruz, Hassan, Hazelbaker, Vinicio are just a few names that could be available and would not hurt the future or the current roster. All are rule 5 eligible this winter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No major trades....Sox play just as well in the second half.

Middlebrooks stays with the team but remains in the minors (for now)

3 out of Alex Hassan/Stephen Drew/Anthony Ranaudo/Brandon Workman/Drake Britton/Devon Marrero will be traded. 

Less people will complain about this team (now that's bold)

the time of the Xan will begin(Xander Bogaerts) 

Red Sox win the division!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

WE are not trading a guy we just traded for (Thornton). Lester is NOT going to the pen or getting traded either. The Rockies are only 4.5 games out of 1st place in a very weak NLW. they are still in the race as of right now. We have plenty of guys in house that can give us what the 38yr old RB can give us for a lot less $$/players. 

Bailey has already turned things around and is an important part of that BP. You DONT trade a player away from our most needed and weakest spot. Aceves, yes. But no teams claimed him on waivers and the word is that no GM is really interested in him, for obvious reasons. I see him as a non-tender candidate this winter, or a throw in with a trade.

Once again, if you want to trade for a BP arm, you dont give current BP arm up to get him. That makes no sense. BP is a position of need. Think of a player that is rule 5 eligible and will not be able to be protected this year. We need to try and get something for them before a team claims a couple of them this winter like we did with Jacobs.

Almanzar, Brentz, Britton, De La Cruz, Hassan, Hazelbaker, Vinicio are just a few names that could be available and would not hurt the future or the current roster. All are rule 5 eligible this winter.

southy----read MLBTR @ 12:38 PM Bowden's comments re Betancourt, Belisle and Cuddyer--my comment was made @ 11:09 AM.

Betancourt is a tough competitor. If the Sox could package something of interest--it probably would mean Bailey would go, we might be growing a new pen for the stretch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

southy----read MLBTR @ 12:38 PM Bowden's comments re Betancourt, Belisle and Cuddyer--my comment was made @ 11:09 AM.

Betancourt is a tough competitor. If the Sox could package something of interest--it probably would mean Bailey would go, we might be growing a new pen for the stretch.

He said basically what I said Mad. They are not sellers just yet since they are only 4.5 games back. He said IF they were to sell. That doesnt mean they are sellers.

Regardless, my point was more towards who you wanted to give up to get them. Why would it mean Bailey goes? You want as many proven arms as you can get. Bailey has done very good his last few appearences, so I dont understand why you would want to get rid of him for a guy whos numbers are almost identical. Hes not an upgrade over Bailey.

Also, like I mentioned, The Sox will try and trade rule 5 eligible players that they probably cant protect, not guys from a position of need on the MLB roster. Im not so much debating the player you want, but more the player you want to give up. Personally, I think there are internal options that are just as good as RB and if we were to get another BP arm, Id look at guys like Crain, Gregerson and a couple more before I got to RB.

basically, Im wondering why you think Bailey should be traded?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If we were to give up top-ten prospects, I'd like to see us go big.  I think Chris Sale could be have if we give up enough - it might be a good time to sell on Doubront.  Am I the only person who thinks he's been pitching a bit over his head lately?

How about Doubront, De La Rosa, Ranaudo & Cecchini for Chris Sale and Jesse Crain.  

You know what's funny - we finally have the prospects to get Felix Hernandez, and nobody's talking about him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

If we were to give up top-ten prospects, I'd like to see us go big.  I think Chris Sale could be have if we give up enough - it might be a good time to sell on Doubront.  Am I the only person who thinks he's been pitching a bit over his head lately?

How about Doubront, De La Rosa, Ranaudo & Cecchini for Chris Sale and Jesse Crain.  

You know what's funny - we finally have the prospects to get Felix Hernandez, and nobody's talking about him. 

Sale is a guy I would like to get. He is only 24 and he is under team control for about 5-6 years (with all the options in his contract). However, Crain is in the last year of his contract. I would not be willing to give up three of our top pitching prospects plus Cecchini for, essentially, Chris Sale and a year of Crain. In addition, Crain is on the DL with a shoulder sprain. Who knows how long that will last.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What package of Red Sox prospects could land Felix Hernandez?

I can't think of one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]You know what's funny - we finally have the prospects to get Felix Hernandez, and nobody's talking about him.

I can't think of one.

[/QUOTE]

All of them.

-Daf.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

Gotta love moonslav because he does in fact generate something bold when bold is asked for.

That said, there is no way I see those two coming to the Sox, primarily because they would be a marginal at best improvement on guys the Sox already have.  Lester right now has a lower ERA, lower WHIP, and pitches more innings per start than Gallardo, and Lester is doing that in a much tougher league.  As for Aramis Ramirez, why goe to all this trouble for a guy whose OPS is under .800 so far this year? 

Have you seen Drew's OPS this year, especially vs LHPs? Also, look at the career numbers or rrecent 2-3 year numbers on Drew vs Ramirez. It is much more than a marginal upgrade.

Let's compare the 2012-2013 numbers: 

Ramirez: .293/.360/.510/.870 (vs LHPs .344/.591/.934 vs RHPs .365/.481/.846)

S. Drew: .227/.311/.376/.687 (vs LHPs .251/.325/.576  vs RHPs .336/.398/.734)

Couple these huge offensive gains with a gain on defense with Iggy/Ramirez over Drew/Iggy and it is a big projected plus.

[/QUOTE]

I know you don't put much stock in "team chemistry," but Ramirez has a reputation for being a bit of a jerk, as well as being lazy.  He doesn't fit the Sox at all.  Not trying to beat a dead horse, just saying there is zero chance the Sox trade for him.

[/QUOTE]

On top of the 15 mil or so he is owed next year.... NOT gonna happen. They will give Boggey and Midds more time in AAA and promote on the cheap from whith in. Makes the most sense to me...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When Drew goes on one of his hitting streaks, he can hit any LHP out there. Didnt you notice that in late april through May. Hes streaky is all.

He has many more bad streaks than good vs LHPs to be worth playing vs them over a gut like ARam.

Drew Career vs LHPs: .237/.294/.396/.691

OPS vs LHPs:

2013: .593 (with a sick .241 OBP)

2012: .563 (.260 OBP)

2011: .671 

Not with you on thinking he will have a hot streak vs LHPs the rest of the way.

I thought they were supposed to be bold realistic trades...

A. Ramirez and Gallarado make no sense...

I didn't know bold meant realistic, but Gallardo and ARam would help us.

What Bold realistic trade would you make for a PO run Moon?

Bold and realistic? Hmm...

Trade:

2 from Webster, Barnes, and DLR

2 from Workman, Britton, Brentz

2 from Lava, Coyle, de la Cruz, Marrero, Hassan, Hazelbaker

for:

Stanton and Cishek

(Maybe more realistic would be to include JBJ, Middlebrooks, or Cecchini. We need Boggy too much to include him.)

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]You know what's funny - we finally have the prospects to get Felix Hernandez, and nobody's talking about him.

I can't think of one.

[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't trade Felix for four prospects in BA top 50?  If you haven't noticed, there are about a dozen pitchers in the game now just as good as Felix, many of them younger, and none of them are owed $26M / year over the next five years.  The Mariners held onto him too long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Here's my BOLD predictions:

Sox trade de la Torre, Coyle and de la Cruz to CWS for RP Jessie Crain

Sox trade 2 of Webster/Britton/Barnes/Workman, 2 of Brentz/Wilson/Marrero/Almanzar, and 3 of Lin/Mercedes/Margot/Hazelbaker/Hassan/Jacobs/Snyder/T Shaw to MILW for 3B Aramis Ramirez & SP Yovani Gallardo.

Our 100% healthy 25 man roster:

C: Salty/Ross (AAA Lava)

1B: Napoli/Carp (AAA Middlebrooks)

2B: Pedroia

SS: Iglesias/Drew

3B: Ramirez/(AAA Holt/Boagerts/Middlebrooks)

LF: Nava/Gomes (Carp)

CF: Ellsbury (Vict) (AAA JBJ)

RF: Victorino (Nava)

DH: Ortiz

SP1: Buchholz

SP2: Lackey

SP3: Gallardo

SP4: Doubront

SP5: Dempster

SP6/LR: Lester

Closer: Uehara

RP2: Crain

RP3: Tazawa

RP4: Breslow

RP5: Bailey

RP6: Aceves

RP7: Morales 

Sox4ever

Lester as a LH/RP? Don't see it Moon. I like getting Crain though, I'll go for that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You wouldn't trade Felix for four prospects in BA top 50?  If you haven't noticed, there are about a dozen pitchers in the game now just as good as Felix, many of them younger, and none of them are owed $26M / year over the next five years.  The Mariners held onto him too long.

I would not trade Felix Hernandez for Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Anthony Ranaudo and Garin Cecchini because the Mariners already have collection of nine former or current BA Top 52 prospects age 26 or under, plus the youthful Kyle Seager*, Brad Miller and Brandon Maurer.

The 27-year-old Hernandez ranks third among all pitchers in WAR this season, second in WAR since the start of the 2012 season and third in WAR since the start of the 2011 season.

I doubt the Mariners will trade away a most loyal Seattle icon.

* the 25-year-old Seager ranks fifth among all thirdbasemen in WAR since the start of the 2012 season

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In response to hill55's comment:

I would not trade 27-year-old Felix Hernandez for Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Anthony Ranaudo and Garin Cecchini because the Mariners already have collection of nine former or current BA Top 52 prospects age 26 or under, plus the youthful Kyle Seager*, Brad Miller and Brandon Maurer.

I doubt the Mariners will trade away a most loyal Seattle icon.

* the 25-year-old Seager ranks fifth among all thirdbasemen in WAR since the start of the 2012 season

[/QUOTE]

I really thought the "Trade for Felix Hernandez" posts would end after the extension...He's the face of the franchise and not going anywhere, although there's probably even less of a chance the White Sox would ever move Sale, if that's even possible.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

With the extra wild card spot in each league, not many teams will be "sellers".

I do not see any major trade this year.  

But I do see the Cubs trading away Garza and Soriano.  After all, the Cubs have been out of playoff contention since May.   LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester as a LH/RP? Don't see it Moon. I like getting Crain though, I'll go for that.

Some one is almost always hurt, like Buch now, so I see Lester starting most of the time. Other starters could be given a breather here and there as well, or we could be real bold and move Dempster back to the closer role.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

With Walker and Hultzen going through the system King Felix is going nowhere. That team is going to have some serious arms soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

With the extra wild card spot in each league, not many teams will be "sellers".

I do not see any major trade this year.  

But I do see the Cubs trading away Garza and Soriano.  After all, the Cubs have been out of playoff contention since May.   LOL

There will be about 10 teams pretty much out of it by the deadline, and few fringe teams that may go "seller" unexpectedly, especially players that will be FAs after this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

NYY may trade Hughes for a position player, but it won't make them more competitive.

RS pick up a reliever & hitter

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Hughes may due better in a pitchers park, due to his tendency to give up the long ball, or the NL.

Sox pick up a bat and a bullpen arm, hope for health, and make a run for it

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Hughes may due better in a pitchers park, due to his tendency to give up the long ball, or the NL.

Sox pick up a bat and a bullpen arm, hope for health, and make a run for it

I agree, but I do not see anything drastic. We will get a relief pitcher and a platoon 3Bman who hits lefties very well. Both will not cost a major prospect.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Some one is almost always hurt, like Buch now, so I see Lester starting most of the time. Other starters could be given a breather here and there as well, or we could be real bold and move Dempster back to the closer role.

Sox4ever

Dempster gives up too many HRs to be a good closer. When its the second inning and he does it the team might recover, but not in the ninth. I think Bailey stands a decent chance of regaining that role in a few weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts