Bold Deadline Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bold Deadline Predictions

In response to slomag's comment:

If we were to give up top-ten prospects, I'd like to see us go big.  I think Chris Sale could be have if we give up enough - it might be a good time to sell on Doubront.  Am I the only person who thinks he's been pitching a bit over his head lately?

How about Doubront, De La Rosa, Ranaudo & Cecchini for Chris Sale and Jesse Crain.  

You know what's funny - we finally have the prospects to get Felix Hernandez, and nobody's talking about him. 

No way i trade Cecchini. If you could trade 2 pitchers and 2 position players not named Bogaerts, Cecchini and JBJ. But i think those are all the names they would want.

I also think since Sale is locked up for quite a few years, hes part of their long term future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

When Drew goes on one of his hitting streaks, he can hit any LHP out there. Didnt you notice that in late april through May. Hes streaky is all.

He has many more bad streaks than good vs LHPs to be worth playing vs them over a gut like ARam.

Drew Career vs LHPs: .237/.294/.396/.691

OPS vs LHPs:

2013: .593 (with a sick .241 OBP)

2012: .563 (.260 OBP)

2011: .671 

Not with you on thinking he will have a hot streak vs LHPs the rest of the way.

I thought they were supposed to be bold realistic trades...

A. Ramirez and Gallarado make no sense...

I didn't know bold meant realistic, but Gallardo and ARam would help us.

What Bold realistic trade would you make for a PO run Moon?

Bold and realistic? Hmm...

Trade:

2 from Webster, Barnes, and DLR

2 from Workman, Britton, Brentz

2 from Lava, Coyle, de la Cruz, Marrero, Hassan, Hazelbaker

for:

Stanton and Cishek

(Maybe more realistic would be to include JBJ, Middlebrooks, or Cecchini. We need Boggy too much to include him.)

Sox4ever

I never said hed have a hot streak vs LHP the rest of the way. I said when he gets on a hot streak his splits are good. Thats all. When his not hot, you platoon him. when he is hot, you let him play.

Thats about what I think the marlins would want for those 2 guys. We will def have to part with Bogey and/or cecchini unfortunately, which squashes the deal for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

If we were to give up top-ten prospects, I'd like to see us go big.  I think Chris Sale could be have if we give up enough - it might be a good time to sell on Doubront.  Am I the only person who thinks he's been pitching a bit over his head lately?

How about Doubront, De La Rosa, Ranaudo & Cecchini for Chris Sale and Jesse Crain.  

You know what's funny - we finally have the prospects to get Felix Hernandez, and nobody's talking about him. 

No way i trade Cecchini. If you could trade 2 pitchers and 2 position players not named Bogaerts, Cecchini and JBJ. But i think those are all the names they would want.

I also think since Sale is locked up for quite a few years, hes part of their long term future.

[/QUOTE]

Sale is an established solid SP under team control for several years. I have been very high on Cecchini for quite some time, but Sale is worth the gamble.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]In response to hill55's comment:

What package of Red Sox prospects could land Felix Hernandez? 

You wouldn't trade Felix for four prospects in BA top 50?  If you haven't noticed, there are about a dozen pitchers in the game now just as good as Felix, many of them younger, and none of them are owed $26M / year over the next five years.  The Mariners held onto him too long.

I would not trade 27-year-old Felix Hernandez for Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Anthony Ranaudo and Garin Cecchini because the Mariners already have collection of nine former or current BA Top 52 prospects age 26 or under, plus the youthful Kyle Seager*, Brad Miller and Brandon Maurer.

I doubt the Mariners will trade away a most loyal Seattle icon.

* the 25-year-old Seager ranks fifth among all thirdbasemen in WAR since the start of the 2012 season

[/QUOTE]

I really thought the "Trade for Felix Hernandez" posts would end after the extension...He's the face of the franchise and not going anywhere, although there's probably even less of a chance the White Sox would ever move Sale, if that's even possible.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree...I dont think Hernandez or Sale are going anywhere. I dont see the Sox cleaning out the farm for any trade either. they will try and move rule 5 kids that wont be protected if they can for more BP help and maybe someone for the IF. Snyder and Holt have done pretty good for next to nothing with WMB and Bogey at AAA too, so that might be covered already...

They pick up a couple pieces, nothing big (BP, UI), hope to stay health and make a run at it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

When Drew goes on one of his hitting streaks, he can hit any LHP out there. Didnt you notice that in late april through May. Hes streaky is all.

He has many more bad streaks than good vs LHPs to be worth playing vs them over a gut like ARam.

OPS vs LHPs:

Trade:

for:

Stanton and Cishek

(Maybe more realistic would be to include JBJ, Middlebrooks, or Cecchini. We need Boggy too much to include him.)

Sox4ever

I never said hed have a hot streak vs LHP the rest of the way. I said when he gets on a hot streak his splits are good. Thats all. When his not hot, you platoon him. when he is hot, you let him play.

Thats about what I think the marlins would want for those 2 guys. We will def have to part with Bogey and/or cecchini unfortunately, which squashes the deal for me.

[/QUOTE]

If he's on a hot streak, but still hitting under .700 or .600 vs LHPs, why still play him in those games? Especially if we have a much better option (which we don't right now, but would with A Ram). I doubt B Holt is a better option vs LHPs than S Drew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

OPS vs LHPs:

Trade:

for:

Stanton and Cishek

Sox4ever

If he's on a hot streak, but still hitting under .700 or .600 vs LHPs, why still play him in those games? Especially if we have a much better option (which we don't right now, but would with A Ram). I doubt B Holt is a better option vs LHPs than S Drew.

When he was hot from the end of april through may, he was hitting everyone. No, he wasnt hitting LHP as good as RHP while hot, but it was better than the career averages your posting.

Moon, Im talking in small spurts when hes on a streak, not career numbers. I f I had the time to go through each game log and see who was pitching, including relievers from say 4/22 thru 5/26, id like to see what his numbers are. I can specifically remember him hitting a lot of LHP when he was hot.

I agree with platooning him, but depending on how hes doing at the plate would decide if he gets platooned. besides, a .700 OPS is above average OPS for MLB SS anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]In response to hill55's comment:

What package of Red Sox prospects could land Felix Hernandez? 

You wouldn't trade Felix for four prospects in BA top 50?  If you haven't noticed, there are about a dozen pitchers in the game now just as good as Felix, many of them younger, and none of them are owed $26M / year over the next five years.  The Mariners held onto him too long.

I would not trade 27-year-old Felix Hernandez for Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Anthony Ranaudo and Garin Cecchini because the Mariners already have collection of nine former or current BA Top 52 prospects age 26 or under, plus the youthful Kyle Seager*, Brad Miller and Brandon Maurer.

I doubt the Mariners will trade away a most loyal Seattle icon.

* the 25-year-old Seager ranks fifth among all thirdbasemen in WAR since the start of the 2012 season

[/QUOTE]

I really thought the "Trade for Felix Hernandez" posts would end after the extension...He's the face of the franchise and not going anywhere, although there's probably even less of a chance the White Sox would ever move Sale, if that's even possible.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree...I dont think Hernandez or Sale are going anywhere. I dont see the Sox cleaning out the farm for any trade either. they will try and move rule 5 kids that wont be protected if they can for more BP help and maybesomeone for the IF. Snyder and Holt have done pretty good for next to nothing with WMB and Bogey at AAA too, so that might be covered already...

They pick up a couple pieces, nothing big (BP, UI), hope to stay health and make a run at it.

[/QUOTE]

Well, since it's impossible for Iglesias, Middlebrooks, Cecchini and Bogaerts to all take the field at the same time for the Sox, at least one will be traded, and there's no guarantee we'll be in first place this far into the season next year, or the year after, etc.  This year, we need Iglesias and Middlebrooks would be selling low, so it's either Bogaerts or Cecchini.  I wouldn't give up either for a Matt Garza or a Bud Norris or even the right to pay Cliff Lee $25M a year.  But if we could get a young top of the rotation starter like Sale or Madison Bumgarner, now would be a good time to overwhelm a selling team.  

But that said, if we do want to hold on to our top prospects, there are some other possibilities...

1) Gamble on a terrific pitcher on the DL.  Jake Peavy is a better pitcher than Matt Garza, but we're not going to know if he's 100% at the trade deadline.  Taking a chance should cost less in terms of prospects.  Roy Halladay is an even bigger gamble, but he claims to feel the best he has in a decade.

2) Matt Cain just signed a five year extension worth $100M.  His ERA is 5.08, but the rest of his stats are virtually identical to previous years.  His WHIP is only 1.179 - a little above normal, but I think because he's been asked to go more innings.  The Giants might be thinking he's Barry Zito part 2 right now.   Would they be interested in unloading him cheap?

3) Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.  He's an unknown commodity but recent Cuban defectors with hype (Cespedes, Puig, Soler) have done a good job living up to it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When he was hot from the end of april through may, he was hitting everyone. No, he wasnt hitting LHP as good as RHP while hot, but it was better than the career averages your posting.

Moon, Im talking in small spurts when hes on a streak, not career numbers. I f I had the time to go through each game log and see who was pitching, including relievers from say 4/22 thru 5/26, id like to see what his numbers are. I can specifically remember him hitting a lot of LHP when he was hot.

I agree with platooning him, but depending on how hes doing at the plate would decide if he gets platooned. besides, a .700 OPS is above average OPS for MLB SS anyway.

So, you are saying you think he did have a hot streak vs LHPs as well. He may have for a short sample size, but my position does not change at all on what he projects to be vs LHPs going forward. Which is to say, not good. Without a change to the roster, there is not anyone much better to play 3B or SS vs LHPs than Iggy and Drew. B Holt is a lefty, so I do not think he is much better than Drew vs RHPs. My call for a 3B platoon player who hits LHPs is based on thinking that we can do better than Drew vs LHPs going forward. To me, our weakness vs LHPs might come back to bite us come playoff time. It's nice that the Tigers don't have a LH'd starter, the A's have only Milone, the Rangers have Holland, and the Rays have Price and Moore, so maybe I am over-reacting a bit.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, since it's impossible for Iglesias, Middlebrooks, Cecchini and Bogaerts to all take the field at the same time for the Sox, at least one will be traded, and there's no guarantee we'll be in first place this far into the season next year, or the year after, etc.  This year, we need Iglesias and Middlebrooks would be selling low, so it's either Bogaerts or Cecchini.  I wouldn't give up either for a Matt Garza or a Bud Norris or even the right to pay Cliff Lee $25M a year.  But if we could get a young top of the rotation starter like Sale or Madison Bumgarner, now would be a good time to overwhelm a selling team.  

The chances that all 4 of Iggy, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, and Cecchini end up being solid full-timers at the same time is not great. I can certainly see Ben thinking we should keep all 4 in hopes that 3 will do well enough to help us by 2014-2015 and then going forward. I could certainly see Ben waiting until after next year to make a trade with one of these guys.

But that said, if we do want to hold on to our top prospects, there are some other possibilities...

1) Gamble on a terrific pitcher on the DL.  Jake Peavy is a better pitcher than Matt Garza, but we're not going to know if he's 100% at the trade deadline.  Taking a chance should cost less in terms of prospects.  Roy Halladay is an even bigger gamble, but he claims to feel the best he has in a decade.

Depends on what we give up.

2) Matt Cain just signed a five year extension worth $100M.  His ERA is 5.08, but the rest of his stats are virtually identical to previous years.  His WHIP is only 1.179 - a little above normal, but I think because he's been asked to go more innings.  The Giants might be thinking he's Barry Zito part 2 right now.   Would they be interested in unloading him cheap?

I seriously doubt it. I mean, they wouldn't even trade Lincecum, so I doubt they even think about moving Cain.

3) Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.  He's an unknown commodity but recent Cuban defectors with hype (Cespedes, Puig, Soler) have done a good job living up to it.

Not sure on him.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

OPS vs LHPs:

Trade:

for:

Stanton and Cishek

Sox4ever

For what ARam would cost, I dont think its worth it at all. Besides his BA vs LHP this year is about .230, his OPS vs all LHP is .665. That pretty much stinks for what he would be getting paid. Hes been declining for almost 2 years now.

I dont think theres enough LHP that we couldnt handle it just fine with what we have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For what ARam would cost, I dont think its worth it at all. Besides his BA vs LHP this year is about .230, his OPS vs all LHP is .665. That pretty much stinks for what he would be getting paid. Hes been declining for almost 2 years now.

I dont think theres enough LHP that we couldnt handle it just fine with what we have.

I think the 59 ABs vs LHPs this year is too small a sample size to judge him harshly.

How can you say he has been in a 2 year decline when last year he had a .901 OPS in 630 PAs. That was better than 2010 and 2011 (.745> 871>901 shows and incline not decline.) It was also .056 better than his career OPS. His OPS this year is also better than 2010.

I'm not really that sure I'd trade for ARam until I saw the medical reports, but I do think if healthy, he's better than Drew. $24M for 2 playoff seasons may not be worth it, but I do think he is an upgrade.

My guess is we get a cheaper playoon 3Bman than ARam or just go with what we have and just settle on some relief help.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Should trade Iggy, his value will never be as high as it is right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Trade no one, play the kids and look to the future. This is not fantasy baseball, if it was Id trade our top ten kids for Babe Ruth!

I dont like facts, they cloud my irresponsible Judgement!

I often go back to read what i wrote only to find out it's not what I said!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trade:

for:

Stanton and Cishek

Sox4ever

Bold?  That trade would only be bold for the Marlins.

I mean, for a player still 23 eyars old, and one of only 21 MLB players in history to top 100 HRs by that age, a BOLD pricetag is not comprised of 2 pitching prospects and selectrions from various tiers of minor league mediocrity, much of which is actually already older than Stanton.  And far, far less accomplished.

Fans are not only hesitant, but think it is an overpay to include a 20yo shortstop with an .814 OPS in AAA ball for Stanton.  After all, at the same age, Stanton only had a .833OPS.   In the Major Leagues.   Bogaerts and Stanton did both start their age 20 seasons in AA ball, and Bogaerts had an awesome .909 OPS.  That is really impressive and looks very good.  Not so good next to the 1.170 OPS Stanton had in AA ball that year.

And some fans are unimpressed with Stanton's MLB track record?  Have you seen the "lineup" that surroudns him?  In the last 3 years, he has 81HRs.  Logan Morrison is second on the team in that timeframe, with 38.  After that, the names get even uglier - John Buck (28), Justin "Remember When I was a Career AAAA Guy For The Rays?" Ruggiano (25), and finally Hanley Ramirez (24).   Not much Gehrig next to his Ruth.

Stanton is a huge deal, and Bogaerts is only just the opening ante.  Stanton will cost. This is true.  And names like Lavarnway, Hazalebacher, Hassan and Britton will be afterthoughts if they get brought up at all.  And while I know Bogaerts might be a very special player, Stanton already is...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Future lineup - Bogarts @ 3rd, Iglesias @ SS, Middlebrooks @ 1st, Cecchini @ DH.

Keep them all.

The chances that all 4 of Iggy, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, and Cecchini end up being solid full-timers at the same time is not great. I can certainly see Ben thinking we should keep all 4 in hopes that 3 will do well enough to help us by 2014-2015 and then going forward. I could certainly see Ben waiting until after next year to make a trade with one of these guys.

Depends on what we give up.

I seriously doubt it. I mean, they wouldn't even trade Lincecum, so I doubt they even think about moving Cain.

Not sure on him.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts