Boras discusses Ellsbury and Red Sox extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Boras discusses Ellsbury and Red Sox extension

Boras talking about Ellsbury and his upcoming free agency:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8317692/future-now-jacoby-ellsbury-boston-red-sox

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Boras discusses Ellsbury and Red Sox extension

Honestly, I hate both of these guys. I hate Boras because he is a leech, living off the talents of others and exaggerating them ...Ellsbury---" I see him as a franchise player"...really who wants a guy who is always hurt as their "franchise player?" But then so many of Boras' claients spend almost as nuch time on the DL as they do on the field( A-Rod, Matsuzaka, Drew ). I can't stand Ellsbury because he very obviously is not a team player. His ego grew large in 2007 and now he thinks that team won mainly because of him.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

There is NO chance the Sox will be able to sign him this offseason. While his stock is somewhat high, its not as high as it could have been if he played more of the season. Of course his stock could lower between now and then end of next season, but Boras is a gambling type of guy and he will take his chances. If he has an off year, he sells it just as that, an off year. Ellsbury has already made a name for himself, one which will command some pretty big dollars and years of committment to sign. I dont think the Sox are willing to pay for past performances ever again. They would much rather work a trade for someone like Justin Upton or develop their own talent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I think it would be best to trade Ellsbury during the off season. But instead of J. Upton I'd rather they use the trade to shore up the starting rotation.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

If Ellsbury is needed to upgrade the pitching. You do it. I don't want Ellsbury traded just to trade him. Boras better look alot closer at his value. Interesting to see how he plays out the year because I can see this year costing him value.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to Boras discusses Ellsbury and Red Sox extension:

Ellsbury's trade value will plummet once the winter passes, as any team that might acquire him after that will not get any draft compensation.

The Red Sox already have Ellsbury's replacement, at a much better value if not much better performance over those free agent years. Patching a year or two with a Pods/Sweeney/Ross to Bradley, Jr. is patently obvious as the superior value and fit.

The Red Sox get better value and fit by acquiring Justin Upton, and paying J. Upton, Pods, Sweeney and Ross for 2013. In 2014, when Ellsbury will be on some GM's books for 15M plus and 100M or more for his thirties yeras, the Red Sox will have J. Upton, Bradley, Jr. and a nice in-house or outside the house LH/RH platton 3rd and 4th OF'er.

why would the sox trade for a player that has less hrs/rbi than mike aviles

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm not at all sold on Justin Upton, but I resent Gordon Edes--probably for a small fee--shilling for Scott Boras and helping him get a much larger fee. 

A completely unbalanced article that ignores the injury problems and the fact that, except for last year when Ells had 32 dingers, this "franchise player" never had more than 9 dingers in a season.  Last year was fantastic, more than a career year, but one year does not a 7 X $20M contract justify. 

A hardhitting reporter--a muckraker, actually--might have written an article asking how Ellsbury magically became a home run hitter when no one before had seen that potential.  I don't believe he used PED's, but asking about them would have shown more integrity than shilling for Boras. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

why would the sox trade for a player that has less hrs/rbi than mike aviles

Because, despite his worst year, this 24 year old J. Upton would have at least 3 times the numbers that career bum Aviles has in the friendly confines of left field monster Fenway and the AL slugging parks.

I'll tell you what, you take Mike Aviles at 2 or 3M a year, and I'll take J. Upton at 9.75 million for 2013.

Are you serious?  $10M/year for a 24 year old who has never had more than 31 dingers in a season?  You keep telling us how expensive Ellsbury is, but this kid is going to be way more expensive by the time he gets to 30.  Don't forget, he plays for the Diamondbacks, so his current $10M salary is artificially suppressed in comparison to what he is going to expect from the Sox.  Young Justin is going to want Manny money before he is 30.   

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Ellsbury is certain to sign elsewhere when his contract expires, and if he can stay healthy will probably land in a better ball park for him.  Right field has a fairly long fence compared to many other places.

So, trade him this winter while he has some value.  I don't think that I agree with Boras or Edes that Ellsbury is really a world class hitter in the three spot, but he is a good player who is not likely to slug 31 HRs again no matter what ball park he plays in.

The gross over-paying for middle age free agents has not worked very well for the Red Sox, and does not need to be repeated with Ellsbury or anyone else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Ellsbury is certain to sign elsewhere when his contract expires, and if he can stay healthy will probably land in a better ball park for him.  Right field has a fairly long fence compared to many other places.

So, trade him this winter while he has some value.  I don't think that I agree with Boras or Edes that Ellsbury is really a world class hitter in the three spot, but he is a good player who is not likely to slug 31 HRs again no matter what ball park he plays in.

The gross over-paying for middle age free agents has not worked very well for the Red Sox, and does not need to be repeated with Ellsbury or anyone else.

Ellsbury is certain to test the free agent market and Ells already plays in a pretty good hitters ballpark for him unless he sees himself as a 30 homer guy...Other parks that might be to his liking Yankee stadium, Wrigley, the Ballpark @ Arlington, the New Commisky Park or Camden Yards...

I do think that Cherington will look at trading him and there are a few teams that might well bite...top of my list would be the Phillies...

Not sure that I would define the Sox as having grossly overpaid middle aged free agents...More to the point would be they grossly overpaid for players that either didn't fit the profile (Crawford) or signed free agent pitchers with preexisting history of chronic arm aliments (Lackey) when coupled with the extension of Beckett also a pitcher who hadn't finished a season strong since 2007 and the unfortunate arm ailment of Matusuaka left them with little in terms of financial flexibility. End of the day, Epstein was the guy behind the curtian and while he rightfully should be given his due for the contributions he made to the success of the team while he was the GM. He also has to shoulder his share of responsibility for the demise of the franchise with a roster he was charged with building...

That was then...

Looking forward while I too am saddened by the recent down turn of the fortunes of my beloved Red Sox. If one takes a step back and looks at the big picture from the ashes rises the phoenix. Cherington with the counsil of Luccino and the resources provided by Henry and we the fans of the Boston Red Sox. Is in an enviable position one that if he can indeed be part of the building of a championship team. Will benefit from his achievements and be seen by all as capable of and with that comes long term security for he and his family...make no mistake Cherington very much want's to be seen as competent and to date shown throughout his career has shown that he's up to the task at hand. 86 years of second city futility is the perspective from which I see the current maliase...my guess is that it won't take Cherington as long to put a championship quality team on the field.

Let the hot stove season begin...cause it's gonna be very active and I'm already starting to make my list of hypothetical trades...Ellsbury to the Phillies for Lee (the Sox take on all of the moneys)...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury is certain to test the free agent market and Ells already plays in a pretty good hitters ballpark for him unless he sees himself as a 30 homer guy...Other parks that might be to his liking Yankee stadium, Wrigley, the Ballpark @ Arlington, the New Commisky Park or Camden Yards...

I do think that Cherington will look at trading him and there are a few teams that might well bite...top of my list would be the Phillies...

Not sure that I would define the Sox as having grossly overpaid middle aged free agents...More to the point would be they grossly overpaid for players that either didn't fit the profile (Crawford) or signed free agent pitchers with preexisting history of chronic arm aliments (Lackey) when coupled with the extension of Beckett also a pitcher who hadn't finished a season strong since 2007 and the unfortunate arm ailment of Matusuaka left them with little in terms of financial flexibility. End of the day, Epstein was the guy behind the curtian and while he rightfully should be given his due for the contributions he made to the success of the team while he was the GM. He also has to shoulder his share of responsibility for the demise of the franchise with a roster he was charged with building...

That was then...

Looking forward while I too am saddened by the recent down turn of the fortunes of my beloved Red Sox. If one takes a step back and looks at the big picture from the ashes rises the phoenix. Cherington with the counsil of Luccino and the resources provided by Henry and we the fans of the Boston Red Sox. Is in an enviable position one that if he can indeed be part of the building of a championship team. Will benefit from his achievements and be seen by all as capable of and with that comes long term security for he and his family...make no mistake Cherington very much want's to be seen as competent and to date shown throughout his career has shown that he's up to the task at hand. 86 years of second city futility is the perspective from which I see the current maliase...my guess is that it won't take Cherington as long to put a championship quality team on the field.

Let the hot stove season begin...cause it's gonna be very active and I'm already starting to make my list of hypothetical trades... Ellsbury to the Phillies for Lee (the Sox take on all of the moneys)...

Loved what you had to say until you threw it ALL away with your last line...25mm for the next 3 yrs with a whopping 27mm vested option for 2016 if 200ip in 215 or 400 combined 2014-15 when Cliff Lee will be at the tender age of 38? Dear Lord I hope this isnt what you want to see. That would be the dumbest move in Red Sox history...Yes, worse than Lackey, CC, and Beckett combined...Ill take Lester forthe next couple years and a cost controlled Doubront as my LHP instead of an old over-priced Cliff Lee that is coming off a terrible season and just turned thirty freakin 4...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I hate Boras because he is a leech, living off the talents of others and exaggerating them ...

100% Slasher approved.

Boras' antics cost us the WS in 2008

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

How many 24 year olds have had 31 HR in a season.  

Upton is under contract until 2015. As for any extension due to a trade. "he'll want Manny money", he doesn't have Manny numbers. Upton is a better fit and a better talent and much younger as he enters his prime years. Because of the fact he can't become a FA until 2016, he'll cost less per year and less years than Ellsbury.

Now, tell me what you are going to offer Ellsbury to keep your favorite player. He'll be 30 during those FA years, not that you don't believe that he's not worth Crawford or Manny money.  

Hard to say what Ellsbury is worth.  Maybe in the $10M-15/ year range.  Right now he seems to be hitting at the 2008 level or worse.  Last year, completely different.  Boras's comments notwithstanding, they both he must do better than he has this year, a lot better. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

The format has changed but the same morons are on here as usual to discuss the same things over and over again.  We get it Softy/Hillbily/Trotter or whatever name you come up with next--- you don't like Ellsbury.  How about coming up with something different then your constant dogging of Jacoby--- you pink hat wearing pretzel.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Drew. Tito, Theo, Crawford, Beckett are all gone which leaves a bashing vacuum.

Solution:

Bash Valentine
    Bash Ellsbury

Impossible for some people to post without bashing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

you people saying ells is injury prone know that both of his injuries were a fluke. adiran beltre colliding with him at full speed going for a pop up, and ells having a guy fall on top of him when he was sliding into second base. you guys are totally off base calling him injury prone as those two injuries were uncontollable.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some fans love free agency , but hate the agents.  Sorry folks , you can't have it both ways.

Sections
Shortcuts