Boras Misreads Market

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Boras Misreads Market

Boras didn't misread themarket, it is all about the draft pick. And Drew already signed a one-year deal. How many more one-year deals should he sign? He must eventually want to find a home for his family, and not have his kids go from school to school in different states. It's not always about the money, especially money for one year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

No doubt about it Boras did misread the market for Morales and Drew. But bottom line is players make final decision. 14.1 mil is not a bad 1 yr salary, have seen players accept w/ condition that team does not offer QO for the following year. Think Beltre had that agreement w/ RS when he came for 1yr. whether it was written or handshake not sure. But Drew / Morales could have accepted under these terms and then went back to FA after 2014. If Drew had even a decent post season offensivley for RS IMO he would have been signed already. Morales is a very one dimensional player, and Drew had a nice bounce back year for RS, but is 30+ yrs of age and had a gruesome ankle injury 2 yrs ago so both these players have warts = does it amount to losing a draft pick for = guess not! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The draft pick the Cardinals received for losing Pujols to the Angels.........................Michael Wacha.  

The draft pick the Angels received for losing Texeira to the Yankees..................Trout.

I really hope someone (Tigers? Mets?) signs Drew soon so Boston gets a draft pick.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boras didn't misread themarket, it is all about the draft pick. And Drew already signed a one-year deal. How many more one-year deals should he sign? He must eventually want to find a home for his family, and not have his kids go from school to school in different states. It's not always about the money, especially money for one year.

[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I see it Kim.  Its not a misread at all.  These guys didnt want one year deals and i am sure they all met up to discuss the pros and cons to holding out for a multi-year deal, the biggest con being not having a job when the season opens.  Pretty sure they all, players and Boras team alike, knew the potential risks.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I see it Kim.  Its not a misread at all.  These guys didnt want one year deals and i am sure they all met up to discuss the pros and cons to holding out for a multi-year deal, the biggest con being not having a job when the season opens.  Pretty sure they all, players and Boras team alike, knew the potential risks.  

[/QUOTE]DREW will rue the day that he turned down 14.5MIL for one year !!!   Kind of foolish...... Could have come back to the WORLD CHAMPS for one year and do it all over again next year !!  What say you ???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]DREW will rue the day that he turned down 14.5MIL for one year !!!   Kind of foolish...... Could have come back to the WORLD CHAMPS for one year and do it all over again next year !!  What say you ???

[/QUOTE]

How do you feel about Clay Buchholz' health?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Absolutely misread the market. This one was easy. Tigers have an injured Starting SS, and they aren't considering him.....yet.

Next year even tougher, with some of the Free Agent SS's hitting the market.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How do you feel about Clay Buchholz' health?

[/QUOTE]You certainly know that "STRANGE CLAY IS DAY TO DAY" !!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

the players association is strong and sat in all these contract sessions.  It used to be two draft choices which made jobs easier for guys like Theo.

Boras still has a good track record and it is the player's final decision.  Drew had a serious concussion last season, something which never really goes away.  Teams examine medical record more these days.

That was a nice offer to drew from a team which has several kids who can play ss. Drew had a nice season but it is the opinion of many that he cannot hit.

Come June first he will be employed if not sooner.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Drew will have a job in June, and he will be paid tens of millions.

I wish misread things like that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Especially, one year deals after one year deals. I believe he also knew that it would be a one-year deal for sure this time. And like I said, does he really want that for his family? Kids making friends at school, having to leave them, making friends at the next school, having to leave them. Always being the new kids. I'm amazed that so many only think about the money. More money when you have money, is just more money. It's not the most important thing in the world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Especially, one year deals after one year deals. I believe he also knew that it would be a one-year deal for sure this time. And like I said, does he really want that for his family? Kids making friends at school, having to leave them, making friends at the next school, having to leave them. Always being the new kids. I'm amazed that so many only think about the money. More money when you have money, is just more money. It's not the most important thing in the world.

[/QUOTE]

baseball players rarely see their families during the season even during the home games.  If Drew was hoping for a multi year deal then he did not read the market well.  Even the younger players cannot count on stability with long term contracts.  Even if  they do become 10-5 guys, now they have to settle for the shorter contracts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

Boras and   Borges two mutts from hell!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BYE BYE STEVIE  !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Boras may have misread the market but so did almost every other expert....almost all expected someone to offer Drew a Multi year deal, maybe not at the AAV he wanted but multi year.....I still do not understand how the Mets have not signed Drew....they are desperate for a SS....could use the defensive stabiity for their young pitchers....1st round pick was protected, 2nd round pick went for Granderson....so they are losing a 3rd round pick for Drew? and now they could probably get him for 2 or 3 year with an AAV of 8 mill or so....plus maybe incentives.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boras may have misread the market but so did almost every other expert....almost all expected someone to offer Drew a Multi year deal, maybe not at the AAV he wanted but multi year.....I still do not understand how the Mets have not signed Drew....they are desperate for a SS....could use the defensive stabiity for their young pitchers....1st round pick was protected, 2nd round pick went for Granderson....so they are losing a 3rd round pick for Drew? and now they could probably get him for 2 or 3 year with an AAV of 8 mill or so....plus maybe incentives.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe they know they will not win in 2014, and they want to make more money.

I doubt Drew would put one more fan in a seat.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe they know they will not win in 2014, and they want to make more money.

I doubt Drew would put one more fan in a seat.

[/QUOTE]

Both good points.  I doubt anyone cares in Boston that he left.  Even his supporters know that Boggie is the way to go.  Defense wins games but offense puts the fans in the park.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both good points.  I doubt anyone cares in Boston that he left.  Even his supporters know that Boggie is the way to go.  Defense wins games but offense puts the fans in the park.

[/QUOTE]

But if Bogey or Middy fail this year, we'll be hearing cries of 'Shoulda Signed Drew', guaranteed.  Fans can turn pretty quickly when the results are not to their liking. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

But if Bogey or Middy fail this year, we'll be hearing cries of 'Shoulda Signed Drew', guaranteed.  Fans can turn pretty quickly when the results are not to their liking. 

[/QUOTE]

Good thing the Drew saga has gone on so long that pretty much everyone is probably on record by now regarding what they want the Sox to do. Plenty of threads to be bumped come summer/fall to keep everyone honest. Wink

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you are right but I doubt either one fails.  Even if boggie does not have the defensive year which Drew had last season, he will get there eventually.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you are right but I doubt either one fails.  Even if boggie does not have the defensive year which Drew had last season, he will get there eventually.

[/QUOTE]

....or he could get injured and be completely useless. No guarentees either way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Could have had the best of three worlds: Drew's D at SS and Bogey's bat at 3B, and a nice return in trade for Middy.