Boras on Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Boras on Drew

Here's Boras from the Herald:

And then there’s Drew.

“Stephen is a top-five defensive player, and offensively his OPS is fourth among shortstops,” Boras said.

I thought Drew was OK this year.  But I'm hoping Boras can sell him to someone other than the Sox.  Last time we heard about OPS for a Drew was when Boras ripped off Theo for JD.  Theo was so embarasssed he went all defensive about OPS whenever he was questioned. (Thinking about the fiasco with Felger and Mazz.)

Please.  Not again.  Let Theo have him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Boras on Drew

Every time we sign a Drew we win a World Series!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

A key Boras talking point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is it because of the Drews or in spite of them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] hey Nut'...if Drew Brees switches to baseball in the next couple of years, you guys are good to go  SmileWink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am quite sure Cherington will assign a fair value to Drew, and also quite sure he will not go over it (regardless of Boras comment). I am also quite sure some one will over pay for Drew, meaning he will leave. This team is ripe with SP's and SS's in the pipeline, and I feel we are not too far off from seeing X at 3B, Marrero at SS and Middlebrooks moved for other needs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lol  Top 5   the guy barely hit his weight all year and was pretty much a liability throughout the playoffs...dont get me wrong i would resign him for about 8 a yr but Boras is nuts....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sign Drew Barrymore

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

enough said, great point

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sign Drew Barrymore

[/QUOTE]

We already won a WS with her.  Check out the documentary Fever Pitch.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol  Top 5   the guy barely hit his weight all year and was pretty much a liability throughout the playoffs...dont get me wrong i would resign him for about 8 a yr but Boras is nuts....

[/QUOTE]

You should write to Fangraphs.  They think he was 2nd in the AL in OPS last year.  You ought to correct them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You can bash Drew for finishing 18th in PAs among SSs, but Drew's regular season viewed in the context of other SSs was pretty impressive. Top 5? Maybe not, but pretty close...

(29 SSs with 350+ PAs)

18th in PAs at 501

16th in BA .253

7th in HRs 13

5th in 2B+3B at 37

5th in RBI 67

6th wOBA .337

8th wRC+ 109

8th OBP at .333

5th in SLG at .443

6th in OPS at .777 (less than .010 from 3rd place)

7th in value at $16.9M

Now, when you factor in that several of the above stats are cumulative with more and more PAs, when Drew was hitting, he was very near to a top 5 offensive SS in 2013.

Not many SSs were near the top in all these categories.

Tulo? Yes

Lowrie? Yes

Desmond? Yes

Peralta? Yes

Reyes? Yes

E Cabrera, Segura, Hardy or Mercer? Probably not.

I'd put Drew about #6 on offense.

Of all the 9 SSs listed above, only Tulo had a better UZR/150. Hardy is 7th and Peralta 12th out of 21 who qualified.

Out of the 30 SSs with 600+ innings at SS, here's where the top hitting (by OPS) SSs rank:

OPS      UZR/150 rank and score

1) Tulo         .931         1st (23.9)

2) Peralta    .815        12th (+4.8)

3) Lowrie     .791        26th (-9.2)

4) Desmond  .784       14th (+4.4)

5) Reyes       .780       25th ( -8.0)

6) Drew        .777        8th (+6.7)

7) Segura      .752     19th (-1.1)

8) Hardy        .738       9th (+6.1)

9) E Cabrera  .736    20th -1.7

10) Iglesias  .735       8th* out of 33 at (+8.0)

*not a top 30 SS by innings.

MLB SS 2013 average: .254/.308/.367/.675

Drew: .253/.333/.443/.777  (+.102 in OPS)

wOBA .298         Drew: .337

wRC+    85         Drew: 109

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You can bash Drew for finishing 18th in PAs among SSs, but Drew's regular season viewed in the context of other SSs was pretty impressive. Top 5? Maybe not, but pretty close...

Fangraphs has him #6.  That's more than good enough for me.  Some of the SS in front of him are elite players.  I liken him a bit to Escobar on TB.  Wasn't over-popular, so he fell into their laps at a cheap price and had a great season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I like Drew and would like to resign him but John Henry has made things clear about having several long term contracts on the books at the same time, It's not going to happen and it shouldn't.  Mr. Henry is correct in his assements.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fangraphs has him #6.  That's more than good enough for me.  Some of the SS in front of him are elite players.  I liken him a bit to Escobar on TB.  Wasn't over-popular, so he fell into their laps at a cheap price and had a great season.

[/QUOTE]

MLB has a nice breakdown of SS stats...Drew is in top 5 in Triples and Homeruns but thats about it...like I said I would love to have him for three years at a reasonable cost but Boras' comments are laughable

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

MLB has a nice breakdown of SS stats...Drew is in top 5 in Triples and Homeruns but thats about it...like I said I would love to have him for three years at a reasonable cost but Boras' comments are laughable

[/QUOTE]

For lovers of old school stats, Drew was also T5 in RBI, in spite of missing 38 games.

67 RBI in 124 games for a shortstop hitting at the bottom of the order is pretty good.  He was part of the team's top to bottom offence this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For lovers of old school stats, Drew was also T5 in RBI, in spite of missing 38 games.

67 RBI in 124 games for a shortstop hitting at the bottom of the order is pretty good.  He was part of the team's top to bottom offence this year.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  The defense has potential to be pretty weak up the middle should Drew get signed elsewhere, Elss sign elsewhere and Salty re-signs.  I'd like to see a bit more defense at SS like we had!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's Boras from the Herald:

And then there’s Drew.

“Stephen is a top-five defensive player, and offensively his OPS is fourth among shortstops,” Boras said.

I thought Drew was OK this year.  But I'm hoping Boras can sell him to someone other than the Sox.  Last time we heard about OPS for a Drew was when Boras ripped off Theo for JD.  Theo was so embarasssed he went all defensive about OPS whenever he was questioned. (Thinking about the fiasco with Felger and Mazz.)

Please.  Not again.  Let Theo have him.

[/QUOTE]

yes, just because hes a Drew and you didnt like JD...good thinking.

Whether you or anyone else likes his last name or not, over his career he has proved to be one of the top overall SS in MLB. .777OPS may look pedestrian to some, but compared to every other MLB SS with enough PA's, hes one of the top guys. Oh, and hes a very solid defender. Id take Drew for the next 4 years, but I understand if they dont.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Regardless of what we as fans think about Drew and his abilities or lack thereof, Bora$$ will sell someone a bill of fare that none of us will grasp! Believe it or not he'll get at least a 3@15 deal from some unsuspecting sucker, seen it to many times not think that he won't get what he asks for....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't care if Drew was a top 1 .....2-54 enough said......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What about the 13 HR and 67 RBI in 124 games?  Those are pretty good old school stats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is 2-54?

Sections
Shortcuts