BORAS TAKES A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT FOR WEAVER, COULD THIS BE ELLS' FATE AS WELL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

BORAS TAKES A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT FOR WEAVER, COULD THIS BE ELLS' FATE AS WELL?

who says boras leads his clients and never takes less than market value or always goes to free agency? weaver's deal is about 22m less than he could have had over the same four year period. had he waited for after next season, could have had a 5 year deal doe around 22.5m/y in the open market. this could be good news for ellsbury. perhaps a deal could be done after this season. wonder now if theo will pinch him to wait til he can get bigger bucks to join him chicago!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Re: BORAS TAKES A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT FOR WEAVER, COULD THIS BE ELLS' FATE AS WELL?

Actually Boras Begged him not to take the deal. Agents are advisors. they dont have final say but they have a lot of influence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: BORAS TAKES A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT FOR WEAVER, COULD THIS BE ELLS' FATE AS WELL?

Just two words:  not likely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

It had nothing to do with Boras taking the deal.  Weaver told him what to do.  Let's not forget that the agent works for the player.  Some guys leave their fate in their agent's hands, others are proactive about what they want.  I gained a lot of respect for Weaver in this whole thing.  I'm not sure Ellsbury has the same affinity for playing in Boston.  Time will tell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I had to vote no, because that is what my heart is telling me.  But I'd like it to be yes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

More importantly (or at least urgently), would Papelbon do the same as Weaver?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"More importantly (or at least urgently), would Papelbon do the same as Weaver?"

I think he's already proven that he won't.  He's had several opportunities to do a long-term deal but always preferred to go one yr at a time thru arbitration to maximize his annual salary.  i think he enjoys pitching for the Sox but this is his big shot at free agency. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE OFFER AND WHERE.
    IT WON'T BE THE NYY AS THEY HAVE MARIANO IN 2012 AND SORIANO (WHO WOULD BE CRAZY TO OPT OUT OF 11m) TO 2013.
    SO IT COMES DOWN TO WHAT TEAM HAS THE MONEY AND NEEDS A CLOSER. aS i LOOK AT THE LIST THERE ARE SEEMINGLY NO $$$$ TEAMS THAT HAVE A NEED AND THERE ARE NO TEAMS THAT CAN BE CONSIDERED IN THE WS CHASE UNLESS A TEAM MAKES A MAJOR TEAM. PAPS BEST SITUATION IS TO STAY IN BOSTON

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Els going for the HRs tonight ... wiff and pop up.  He could bunt his way on if he wanted.   Wish he would do that more often.  Pitchers will learn his weakness, they always do.  Next year he will find it hard to hit the long ball ...

Gonzo just mashed his 2nd of the game, with Lowrie on ... too bad Jake wasn't on too.  

Jake has been great for the Sox, glad we have him.  IMO he just needs to pick his spots more for those HR swings. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I heard Boras was so mad at Weaver that he didn't attend the press conference.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: BORAS TAKES A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT FOR WEAVER, COULD THIS BE ELLS' FATE AS WELL?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to BORAS TAKES A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT FOR WEAVER, COULD THIS BE ELLS' FATE AS WELL? :   Hometown discount? Ells doesn't qualify . Weaver is from California. Ellsbury is from Oregon. Not hometown area for a Sox player.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]Exactly. Grew up in the San Fernando Valley, played his college ball in Long Beach and his MLB career in Anaheim.

It wasn't Boras taking a discount, it was Boras following his client's instruction. Weaver was on radio the day he signed the deal and discussed how he did explain to Boras what his goals were, Boras gave him counter arguments and he told Scott he still wanted to stay in Anaheim. The things Weaver said were on his mind include he and his wife and their familes all live in So Cal, he just bought a house in Newport Beach, he just lost an arbitartion case this year with the Angels and he prefers the under the radar situation in Anaheim versus NY or Boston.

Some how I don't thnk those things are in play for Ellsbury or Papelbon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No chance, and that's a good thing. No need to double up on Crawford mistake. Fans must learn to love the 20M lefty slapper named Crawford, as there is no way Theo is going to make the same mistake twice and go with Mike Aviles in RF. Full court press should be long since underway for Kemp, Upton and "McCatchen" type of profile. Sell Ellsbury 2011 as Ellbury for the next 2 years, and stop talking about Aviles and a platoon of dumpster material in the OF. Promote Reddick and keep Kalish for further depth, and admit the mistake on Crawford and live with it. In a short time, most will deny every claiming they were on board with 100M plus for Ellsbury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

Softy, you are dreaming if you think the BoSox are going to get Kemp...never gonna happen, he is gonna command a 6-8 year deal at $20million per, it doesn't make sense for Boston at all

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Drew and Cameron cost 21.5M!

It makes perfect sense! What makes no sense is Ellsbury and Crawford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!