Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1001296-andrew-bailey-to-red-sox-boston-again-favorites-in-al-east

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??

I still think they put the best 8 on the field everyday. It will come down to health for Beckett, Buch and Bailey. I assume one should also mention Jenks and Dice K...
    Of course, this could be the year that the Yanks finally age (we seem to say that every year)
    I thought Tampa, especially Shields and their pen pitched over their heads last year and expect a regression
    I still favor the Sox 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Largely depends on #4 and #5........who will they be?
    And we are also assuming Buch will return to his 2010 form.
    The pitching failed us in September and we have really done nothing to improve it, except swap Pap for Bailey, and Melancon for Bard (maybe), and I don't see any improvement here, maybe even a downgrade, and lost a potential premier RFer in the process for another singles hitter in Sweeney.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nope.  Our starting rotation is too full of questions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston will be the team to be beat, but so are the Rays and Yankees.

If Boston stays healthy for the whole season, then they should win the division.

For Yankees to win the division, they have to stay healthy as well for Boston to start piling up injuries.

For Rays to win the division, they need both Yankees/Red Sox to pile up injuries. I cant not foresee Rays to win the division against healthy Yankees/Red Sox teams. Rays just lacks bullpen and a closer.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The wet blankets forgot to project Crawford's offyear into six more. They also forgot to mention that Salty had a bad September. Me thinks that the Yankee fan who owns a pizza shop in Springfield, MA is asleep at the switch or else is drowning in his Beckett rant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

The AL East will be too competitive this year to have a clear cut favorite. Sox, Yanks & Rays each have plenty of talent. Whichever team stays healthy will win the AL East.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Red Sox are ALWAYS my favorite in the AL East,the AL and in MLB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??:
    [QUOTE]Nope.  Our starting rotation is too full of questions.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

as were the 2011 NYY, Hfx. In sports you just never know, which is what makes it so great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??:
    [QUOTE]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1001296-andrew-bailey-to-red-sox-boston-again-favorites-in-al-east
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox fan who wrote the Bleacher Report column thinks so:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/691133-benjamin-klein

The Red Sox should not even seek the favorites tag.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Agree the Red Sox have the best in the AL in CF, 1B and 2B.  Don't know about best 8, Bautista in OF, Robinson Cano at 2B, Matt Wieters at C, Curtis Granderson at CF, Mark Teixeira at 1B, Evan Longoria at 3B as a minimum compete as being considered in the in top 8.  I think if the Red Sox are considered the favorites in the A.L. East it will be because of the way Ben Cherington has rebuilt the pitching staff with Andrew Bailey and Mark Menlancon which in turn will free up Aceves and Bard to join the starting rotation.  It is the pitching staff which can be important as the Rays have been proving the last few seasons and the Red Sox may still have the best staff behind the Rays, which, at this point, we don't really know how the Rays may improve the offense.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Agree the Red Sox have the best in the AL in CF, 1B and 2B.  Don't know about best 8, Bautista in OF, Robinson Cano at 2B, Matt Wieters at C, Curtis Granderson at CF, Mark Teixeira at 1B, Evan Longoria at 3B as a minimum compete as being considered in the in top 8.  I think if the Red Sox are considered the favorites in the A.L. East it will be because of the way Ben Cherington has rebuilt the pitching staff with Andrew Bailey and Mark Menlancon which in turn will free up Aceves and Bard to join the starting rotation.  It is the pitching staff which can be important as the Rays have been proving the last few seasons and the Red Sox may still have the best staff behind the Rays, which, at this point, we don't really know how the Rays may improve the offense.   
    Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE]

There is no clear-cut favorites, ever. There are too many variables in the game of baseball which one cannot acount for.

RG - Pedey is great, but to say he is better than Cano - not too sure about that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??:
    [QUOTE]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1001296-andrew-bailey-to-red-sox-boston-again-favorites-in-al-east

Author of the article is a Sox fan.

Shocking.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/691133-benjamin-klein

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

You cant determine the favorite until the dust settles. Sox aren't the favorite with their #4-5 in present state. I don't like the Yankees rotation as you have no idea what to expect from AJ or Hughes. Colon can't be counted on to have another 2011. If you forced me to pick favorite in AL East ... I'd have to say Tampa in present state.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE] You cant determine the favorite until the dust settles. Sox aren't the favorite with their #4-5 in present state. I don't like the Yankees rotation as you have no idea what to expect from AJ or Hughes. Colon can't be counted on to have another 2011. If you forced me to pick favorite in AL East ... I'd have to say Tampa in present state.
    Posted by Sully1965[/QUOTE]

Sully, I agree....way to early to tell, but I am of the belief that pitching wins ball games and based on that Tampa is the favorite to win the East right now.....With Price, Shields, Hellickson, Davis, Nieman and Moore.....They clearly have the best Rotation in the division. But depending on how they fill out their Pen and the yankees and Sox Fill out their rotations, who the favorite is could be different on opening day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Colon is still unsigned, right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Colon is still unsigned, right?

As far as I know - he is still unsigned. NY did resign Garcia.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

As a RS fan I can't even think about someone else being better than this team.  I like the core, I like the pieces.  The big question is and always be can the RS find a way to keep player on the field.  Injuries have killed this team for the past couple of years. 

Keep the pitching staff healthy and I truly like the RS chances.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistermoose. Show mistermoose's posts

The way I see it is that they MAY have replaced Papelbon with Bailey, if Bailey stays healthy. They may have replaced Bard with Melancon, but it will be hard for Melancon or anyone to duplicate the performance Bard brought to the set up role for most of last year. I have no idea whether Aceves, whom I liked as soon as they signed him last winter, will be an effective starter, since he has not excelled in that role in the past, and I was duly unimpressed with Andrew Miller, and was shocked to see brought back after last year's performance. So I do not see the Sox having improved themselves much if at all, and it would be hard to imagine that they have improved so much that they would be the favorites to leap frog from two third-place finishes in a row.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Note: Third place was one game worst than second place and decided in the last inning of game 162 by strange happenings in Baltimore and Tampa Bay. One could rationalize it as second place easily.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Note: Third place was one game worst than second place and decided in the last inning of game 162 by strange happenings in Baltimore and Tampa Bay. One could rationalize it as second place easily.
    Just a Yankee fan could rationalize the 2004 American League pennant.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East?? : Just a Yankee fan could rationalize the 2004 American League pennant.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you. The ground rule double that jumped into the stands, the stolen base, the operation that kept Schilling pitching, etc. The planets were definitely alligned in the Sox's favor.

My point above was to refresh the minds of the chronic pessimists that we came in third by just one game after playing 162. We did not finished in third place by a large margin. It was like losing a basketball game in the last second. Some need to see the glass as half full instead of half empty.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Pike, send those thoughts to Theo, Tito, and John Henry...they will be greatly comforted by your wisdom...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East?? : I completely agree with you. The ground rule double that jumped into the stands, the stolen base, the operation that kept Schilling pitching, etc. The planets were definitely alligned in the Sox's favor. My point above was to refresh the minds of the chronic pessimists that we came in third by just one game after playing 162. We did not finished in third place by a large margin. It was like losing a basketball game in the last second. Some need to see the glass as half full instead of half empty.
    Try like losing a basketball game in the last second after blowing a 20-point lead in the fourth quarter. That glass is empty.

Sections
Shortcuts