Boston Globe Now Charging for articles????????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

Boston Globe Now Charging for articles????????

Hi ,I have had a profile on here foe a couple of years . Read the paper daily.They want to carge me 99cents to read th Sunday Baseball Notes.NFL,NHL,NBA Notes as well . Do you agree with this ????????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Boston Globe Now Charging for articles????????

Yes I noticed that as well. In this country if they could charge you for the air you breath they would do that as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It's bostonglobe.com, not boston.com. Essentially you won't get some of the columnists. It's not a big deal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's the American way to charge money for something that costs to produce.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/cafardo-on-red-sox-youkilis-beckett-nationals.html

It's also the American way for the consumer to shun a product the consumer does not want regardless of how much it cost to produce the product.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Globe Now Charging for articles????????:
    [QUOTE]It's the American way to charge money for something that costs to produce. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/cafardo-on-red-sox-youkilis-beckett-nationals.html
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

What do you mean "costs to produce." You mean reporters and columnists and editors should actually get paid for their work. Surely, you jest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

You mean reporters and columnists and editors should actually get paid for their work. Surely, you jest.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

The local sports columnists are not worth reading, nevermind pay to read.  There are many others putting out more balanced / interesting takes without sensationalist drivel like Mazz, CHB,.....for free.

In general, I do agree that the death of newspapers would be very bad for a democracy especially at the local level.  I  think it will be hard to find a funding solution though, and the income from access to the local sports columnists will not help solve the problem. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is the nature of people now. Tax them but not me.
    The new Robin Hood tax that some want.
    Tax every transaction on Wall St. a "minimal" amount.
    After all they tax me a sales when I buy something!!!!!

However don't you dare tax or assign a fee when I use my bank card.
    What is the difference your transaction is as much a financial transaction as the ones on Wall Street.

Every one wants it free but every one else pays.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Of course, it's not that you're paying just for the columnists. The Globe has content throughout the newspaper that they're calling premium content online. In sports, it includes columnists and Sunday Notebooks. But there's stuff in other sections as well. So if you're a well-rounded person who reads more than sports, it might be worth your while.

If you're a Globe subscriber, you have access to it already. To me, it's simply subscribing to the Globe but reading it online instead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

How much is the whole Sunday paper , I live in florida for 2 years now. So not sure. But i am a member of something with a profile and i log in to post on here. is that not enough . I want 4 of the best articles in sports out of all the new england papers . been reading them forever . now i have to pay a dollar . for 4 weeks.. i`m lost. whatever!!!!The writers have gotten paid regarless of internet reading .. for years . pissed , my opinion. no offense to anyone please .. And if you go to the top of the page , It`s BOSTON.COM and all was free for years !!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

But it is still free, you just have to wait until mlbtraderumors.com puts it in their notes.  At least that is how I have been reading it free since the Globe started charging for it, what, 3 weeks ago?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Don't challenge the system!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

This is a growing trend. The problem all along is that if all the newspapers do not band together and charge it cannot work. Years ago we had to pay to read The Globe's work but as other newspapers went "free" the Globe had to disband its fee.

In the end, how can they survive if they offer a free service? They can I suppose but not as well as they might with a fee.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Newspapers never have, and never will, make the bulk of their money on subscriptions.  It has always been the advertising that made them profitable.  That is why a Sunday edition could cost just .50 cents and be that thick and full of features.  That .50 cents probably only helped to defray a bit of the cost of delivering the paper.

With the internet, the cost of delivering and printing are gone.  If the Globe, or any other paper for that matter, could get enough money from advertisers on their internet site, then they could offer the reading material for free. 

That said, I DO think it is fair of them to ask a subscription fee for certain information/articles.  Just like you have to pay for "insider" subscriptions to get certian articles from SI, ESPN, CBSsports, etc. 

Sections
Shortcuts