boston is hitting 293 as a team with a 6.08 team ERA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

boston is hitting 293 as a team with a 6.08 team ERA

Now if only if we could all figure out which was a more pressing problem for the 2012 Red Sox.

It really has me stumped.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: boston is hitting 293 as a team with a 6.08 team ERA

Hehee

But you know, Snake, that the bat has never been Boston's problem ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I think the whole thing is skewed by aggregate median average data.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: boston is hitting 293 as a team with a 6.08 team ERA:
    [QUOTE]I think the whole thing is skewed by aggregate median average data.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

oookayy....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i think it's safe to say the avg will fluctuate with the ERA dropping...that team avg is currently good for 2nd place(Texas 1st at .295)..so i guess you could go with ERA as more pressing...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's clear to everyone but softy.

We need better picthing, better feilding behind our pitchers,  and a catcher that gets the best out of what we have on the mound.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Reminds me of many of the Red Sox teams, back in the day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]i think it's safe to say the avg will fluctuate with the ERA dropping...that team avg is currently good for 2nd place(Texas 1st at .295)..so i guess you could go with ERA as more pressing...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I am just being a d ick. Even last year when the Red Sox had the besrt offense in the AL there are more than occasional posts claiming that in reality it is the Red Sox offense that is the problem.

Which of course is ridiculous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I agree with you snake. I honestly think that last nite the boys finally had "lift off" if you catch my drift. really great sign when youk not only goes yard but goes yard to right center field. now if Mr. Bard is sucessful tonight and our sticks continue to be hot me thinks that we could be looking pretty good when we go down to fenway south and play the oriholes.

not to mention that salty hit a deuce last night which is hugh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Well, yes....and no.
    The way to win is to score more runs than the opposition. There are two inputs here, runs scored and runs allowed. Obviously we need to do a better job of preventing opponents from scoring runs, yes.

However if this seemingly simple process is difficult or even impossible, then the method of winning left is to increase the runs we score.
    Last year's Sox scored well, even with very sub-par performance from left and right field.Had we received even average production from these, we probably would have made the playoffs.
    I'd prefer to win games 3-2, but would happily accept al the 9-7 wins we can accumulate !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Throughout the early slump, pitching was more of a long-term issue because there were so many questions about the pen.

However, you can't overlook that early on, it was feast or famine with the hitting. Lester should have two wins and Bard should have another win but the offense wasn't there. Offense was a short-term issue, but fans should have expected it to bust out like it has.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If we all ignore Aceves, Melancon, Padilla and Thomas's ERA for the season, Boston team's ERA will be easily under 5.00.

And funny part is that Thomas, Aceves and Padilla still giving up alot of runs in thier last three outings!!

Stop using them at the same time dont use Aceves anymore in the late innings!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

A team with a 6.08 ERA should not be 8-10.  Lester and Beckett will turn around.  Bard will get better and better.  The pitching isn't great but its better than 6.08. 

Keep Bard in the rotation.  Lester, Beckett, Bard is a good top 3.  Trade for some relief pitchers (relief pitching is a crapshoot, so buy a couple of guys at low cost and see what works).  I still think that Ace and Padilla (whose been good - one terrible outing) are solid pen options.

The Ells injury hurts because it turns Aviles from a bottom of the order guy to a top of the order guy and therefore weakens the bottom third of your lineup.

But....I agree with the jist of hte post....I was more concerned with the offense at the beggining of the year than the pitching....But honestly, I think Cody Ross and Aviles are very solid hitters. 

Again, the Ells injury hurts becasue a bottom 3 of Ross, Salty, Aviles is very good.  Unfortunately, now we have a bottom three of Ross, Salty, Byrd, which is average (IMO)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Rangers (the best in the league right now) is the only team that have scored more runs than the Sox, (by 3 I believe) But the problem is (I should say "was") Sox and the Twins are the only teams in the whole league which allowed more than 100 runs. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It is the pitching. It was pitching in September and it is the pitching now. For the purposes of the regular season, barring injury I think the RS starting pitching could be enough as it stabilizes to be a contender.

It is the bullpen that is scary IMHO. Scary enough that it will make BV slow to go to the BP making the starters look worse than they should and scary enough that BV is going to have a hard time finding a consistent pattern to use his relievers.

We always seem to question the RS ability to score runs in recent years and the FO seems to consistently build teams that score a lot runs. It has been the other components of creating positive run differential (wins) that has been an issue, with pitching being the most glaring hole.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I would have said today the Sox are back on top as having the best offense in MLB and that the ERA/pitching is the worst in MLB. 

The Sox missed the playoffs three straight years because the team ERA was never better than 8th in the AL.  Last year it was 9th in the AL for the season and the worst in MLB in September.  So, as fivekatz says, we are back in September.

The bullpen, as he also says, is just plain scary.  But I think it is fixable, maybe even with current assets.  Last night Tazawa was terrific for 3 innings.  Night before, Albers did get the GIDP to end the 6th, and after that the bullpen held on for three more innings with zero runs.  I don't see a real closer, so why not continue with Aceves for now? Morales, Padilla, Albers, and Atkinson are all capable of pitching a decent inning. Cook can be the new lefty to replace Thomas who has been consistently bad.  So by my count that's the quota of seven usable arms: Aceves, Morales, Padilla, Atkinson, Albers, Tazawa, and Cook.

The starters are also a problem.  Beckett and Lester have higher ERA's than the two novices, Doubront and Bard.  Buchholz is really struggling.  None of the five starters currently can be expected to get beyong the 6th inning, which puts more pressure on the bullpen. 

That said, I do think there is a psychology that affects whole teams, and that is that, when the hitting is going great guns, the pitching feeds off that while thinking, "OK, I don't have to win this thing by myself.  I just have to give it my best effort and throw some strikes."  I thought Doubront was thinking exactly that last night because I think the cold weather affected his command, etc.  At one point I thought he was going to hit the Durham bull, but that was a different movie. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Max,

I agree there are some pieces to juggle in the RS bullpen but I am less confident that there is a real solid 8th ininng - 9th inning combo.

I am a huge fan of Aceves and hope that he becomes a closer but IMO his great asset was that he so elastic (good for an out, an inning, 3 innings if you needed them and could give you a spot start). That is a very valuable guy but that is very different than the shear intimadation that makes a top closer go. 

And I agree that pitchers can be more effective pitching with good run support. They don't have to be as fine, can challenge more hitters etc.

In the long run don't ask me for any reason but gut, but I think there is little to worry about with Lester and Beckett if they stay healthy. Hopefully Buch gets his stuff down a bit more and the other two guys will eat innings.

A starting staff that can carry a team to 90 plus wins is different than a great staff ( which is what you usually need to go deep in playoffs). Right now I think the RS have the starters to win 90 plus regular season games and enough potential parts to bridge those starters to inning 8 and 9. It is having guys that shut down 8 and 9 that I think they lack. (Maybe Bailey gives them that post Allstar game?)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Max, I agree there are some pieces to juggle in the RS bullpen but I am less confident that there is a real solid 8th ininng - 9th inning combo. I am a huge fan of Aceves and hope that he becomes a closer but IMO his great asset was that he so elastic (good for an out, an inning, 3 innings if you needed them and could give you a spot start). That is a very valuable guy but that is very different than the shear intimadation that makes a top closer go.  And I agree that pitchers can be more effective pitching with good run support. They don't have to be as fine, can challenge more hitters etc. In the long run don't ask me for any reason but gut, but I think there is little to worry about with Lester and Beckett if they stay healthy. Hopefully Buch gets his stuff down a bit more and the other two guys will eat innings. A starting staff that can carry a team to 90 plus wins is different than a great staff ( which is what you usually need to go deep in playoffs). Right now I think the RS have the starters to win 90 plus regular season games and enough potential parts to bridge those starters to inning 8 and 9. It is having guys that shut down 8 and 9 that I think they lack. (Maybe Bailey gives them that post Allstar game?)
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Bailey going down was a huge issue.  A lot of people here don't know how nasty he really is.  I agree that the Red Sox starting 5 should be okay.  Not good but okay.  Really if Buch gets better there isn't even that much to worry about.  Lester will be fine as will Becket.  Bard and Doubront are okay as 4 and 5.  

So far it has mostly been Buch and the BP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]I would have said today the Sox are back on top as having the best offense in MLB and that the ERA/pitching is the worst in MLB.  The Sox missed the playoffs three straight years because the team ERA was never better than 8th in the AL.  Last year it was 9th in the AL for the season and the worst in MLB in September.  So, as fivekatz says, we are back in September. The bullpen, as he also says, is just plain scary.  But I think it is fixable, maybe even with current assets.  Last night Tazawa was terrific for 3 innings.  Night before, Albers did get the GIDP to end the 6th, and after that the bullpen held on for three more innings with zero runs.  I don't see a real closer, so why not continue with Aceves for now? Morales, Padilla, Albers, and Atkinson are all capable of pitching a decent inning. Cook can be the new lefty to replace Thomas who has been consistently bad.  So by my count that's the quota of seven usable arms: Aceves, Morales, Padilla, Atkinson, Albers, Tazawa, and Cook. The starters are also a problem.  Beckett and Lester have higher ERA's than the two novices, Doubront and Bard.  Buchholz is really struggling.  None of the five starters currently can be expected to get beyong the 6th inning, which puts more pressure on the bullpen.  That said, I do think there is a psychology that affects whole teams, and that is that, when the hitting is going great guns, the pitching feeds off that while thinking, "OK, I don't have to win this thing by myself.  I just have to give it my best effort and throw some strikes."  I thought Doubront was thinking exactly that last night because I think the cold weather affected his command, etc.  At one point I thought he was going to hit the Durham bull, but that was a different movie. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Newsflash : Cook's a righthander.Maybe the lefty you meant was Rich Hill ?
    Also a sinker-throwing groundball producer, who might flourish IF infield defense was fantastic. But with an only steady Aviles and a looks-somewhat-immobile Youk, don't expect a lot from Cook in Boston. If he had to replace a starter, I'd guess Buchholtz would go to AAA to straighten out arm strength / release point issues. Not sure Cook would accept a role in long / middle relief.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Of course pitching is our problem, but just for arguments sake, we could also win by becoming an offensive behemoth. If we added Pujols, Fielder, Hamilton,etc. to our team,(don't think too hard about it-just roll with me), we could hypothetically keep our 6+era and still win lotsa games and probably make the playoffs. There are many ways to skin a cat, and one is no better than another. If there were a plethora of offensive players available next off season, driving the costs down a bit for each, wouldn't it make sense to roll that way instead of straining in another direction? Trust me, I see the need to rebuild that wreck of a bullpen. I also see starters struggling mightily. I'm simply suggesting that strengthening a team can be done in many ways, and it's not always smart to just try to fill holes. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

jimedfred,

You're right, I meant Rich Hill, but I really meant that Cook, righty or lefty, is a better choice than Thomas. 

I have never bought the thesis that Iglesias will somehow transform the entire pitching staff with his magic glove.  I would love to watch him play SS every single day, but do not believe for a moment the ERA's will all drop.  Someone else wrote that his glove won't even be worth 20 runs per season, and I agree with that.   

Meanwhile, the Sox have to get by with less than perfect defense, but the best hitting in MLB.  I think it's a good tradeoff because each of them will have made up for that mythical 20 runs saved by scoring or batting in 20 more runs than Iglesias would in an entire season by midseason if not sooner.