Boston Media Bought and Sold

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Boston Media Bought and Sold

Did Henry and Lucchino go out overnight and buy every media outlet in this town?  Sure seems so with how they have gone into the tank with this Fenway 100 nonsense.  They have just experienced the biggest tongue bath ever lavished on human beings

All this glorification for a stack of bricks that was past its prime in the 1960s never mind 2012.  Like everything else it is all spin with this ownership group.  "America's most beloved ballpark"...Luke Scott was right, it is a dump.  Outdated lines of sight, toilets better suited to the London Blitz, seats that Kate Moss would have trouble fitting in.  And for that we get to pay the average highest ticket prices in the majors.

Lucchino is a master ballpark builder; he did it in two other cities.  They needed to do it to attract fans.  here the chumps arrewilling to pay for "The Fenway Experience".  You know, the same one your grandfather had.  Here the lemmings hand it over because they are brainwashed it is "special".   Help finance Liverpool, Roush fenway, lebron et.al.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Boston Media Bought and Sold

Nice rant.

I am so proud of you!

I don't agree with everything you say, but there is enough solid truth there for me to send you the virtual high five.

The Henry ownership group loves celebrations, retiring numbers and awards ceremonies. It helps keep the streak of sellouts going, gets people in the ballpark sooner to buy souveniers and food. It also builds a solid "feel good" atmosphere so that the average fairweather, bandwagon jumper stays hooked through these tough times when most of them are tempted to jump ship.

I think it was a nice touch that they remembered to invite Theo....a little late, but so nice of them to include the boy wonder who got all the glory when he was sitting upstairs but now takes most of the blame because he's now an outsider. Of course, if you or I were team president or owner, perhaps we might have thought about inviting Theo sooner...like maybe, 6 months ago?...Hello...anybody home in the ownership suite?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

All big media outlets are bought and sold.  

Were you expecting a bunch of stories entitled "Fenway is a dump, who cares about the celebration"?

How many papers would that sell?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Ugh...And all the money that they've dumped into renovating Fenway could have paid for 1/3 the costs.

The reason the ticket prices are so high is because there just arent enough quality seats.  Fenway park is a great landmark, but its a horrible ballpark.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hey, whats wrong with this place?!?  These seats don't have coutoured cushions or bum-warmers!  And the bathrooms don't have that minty lavendar scent I like so much!  And, how am I supposed to relax with all this a-symmetry.  Where is the brew pub and kid's playland?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Media Bought and Sold:
    Nice rant. I am so proud of you! I don't agree with everything you say, but there is enough solid truth there for me to send you the virtual high five. The Henry ownership group loves celebrations, retiring numbers and awards ceremonies. It helps keep the streak of sellouts going, gets people in the ballpark sooner to buy souveniers and food. It also builds a solid "feel good" atmosphere so that the average fairweather, bandwagon jumper stays hooked through these tough times when most of them are tempted to jump ship. I think it was a nice touch that they remembered to invite Theo....a little late, but so nice of them to include the boy wonder who got all the glory when he was sitting upstairs but now takes most of the blame because he's now an outsider. Of course, if you or I were team president or owner, perhaps we might have thought about inviting Theo sooner...like maybe, 6 months ago?...Hello...anybody home in the ownership suite?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

No one is available at this time, however, your call is important to us. Please hold and a representative will be with you in...ah...errr...maybe next season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Boston Media Bought and Sold:
    Did Henry and Lucchino go out overnight and buy every media outlet in this town?  Sure seems so with how they have gone into the tank with this Fenway 100 nonsense.  They have just experienced the biggest tongue bath ever lavished on human beings All this glorification for a stack of bricks that was past its prime in the 1960s never mind 2012.  Like everything else it is all spin with this ownership group.  "America's most beloved ballpark"...Luke Scott was right, it is a dump.  Outdated lines of sight, toilets better suited to the London Blitz, seats that Kate Moss would have trouble fitting in.  And for that we get to pay the average highest ticket prices in the majors. Lucchino is a master ballpark builder; he did it in two other cities.  They needed to do it to attract fans.  here the chumps arrewilling to pay for "The Fenway Experience".  You know, the same one your grandfather had.  Here the lemmings hand it over because they are brainwashed it is "special".   Help finance Liverpool, Roush fenway, lebron et.al.
    Posted by provpats

Sadly, as a longtime Sox fan, I believe you are correct

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Another group of happy people here. Is our next meeting at the cemetery?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

NPR carried a nice story on the 100th yesterday.  While I will agree some of the sightlines at Fenway are the worst in MLB, it's a great story because of the unique features of the park, it's age, and the whole Boston Red Sox saga.  In other words, it's a pretty good story. 

On top of which Lucchino and company put a lot of money into the park, at no cost to taxpayers, to increase seating, etc.  They absolutely did this out of profit motive, not nostalgia, but it worked.  Fenway now seats 37K to 38K and has been "sold out" for way more games than the second longest "sold old" streak. 

On a personal note, I have been a Sox fan since 1949 when I began reading box scores in the Stars & Stripes in Germany and remember Curt Gowdy calling Sox games in the summers of 1953 and 1954 when I lived in W. Springfield.  But I had never been to Fenway until about 3 years ago when I was in town on business and got a seat down the right field line.  Big mistake.  Horrible sightline.  I went back a year or so later and got a seat higher up, but was so far away I could barely see anything.  Consequently, I do not plan to go back to Fenway ever.  But I love watching Fenway on TV because it has so much character.  It is probably the best TV sports venue in the USA.  Think of it as the Globe Theater.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

For all the money they put put into it they could have been at least 30% of the way to a new park; but that would have interfered with Liverpool, Nascar etc

As to the sighlines, I would say they are the worst; try Coors, Chavez Ravine, ATT, the Seattle and Arizona parks.  far  Far far superior with lower prices

The infrastructure is supposedly good for another 40...boy is that great news.

The increase is seating was done by taking old space and squeezing more into it.  they have not changed the seating or the sightlines in right.

the sad part of this is what most fans will accept for the highest ticket price in baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Hey, whats wrong with this place?!?  These seats don't have coutoured cushions or bum-warmers!  And the bathrooms don't have that minty lavendar scent I like so much!  And, how am I supposed to relax with all this a-symmetry.  Where is the brew pub and kid's playland?  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

It is a dump.  People can appreciate the nostalgia about the place and it is solemn ground, but it's still a dump.

It's too bad they can't keep the exterior facade and gut the rest of it.  Create a stadium without all of the girders and seats that actually face the right way.  That would be the best case scenario in my opinion.  But, that type of work would take a couple of years, and where would the Red sox play during the construction?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Media Bought and Sold : It is a dump.  People can appreciate the nostalgia about the place and it is solemn ground, but it's still a dump. It's too bad they can't keep the exterior facade and gut the rest of it.  Create a stadium without all of the girders and seats that actually face the right way.  That would be the best case scenario in my opinion.  But, that type of work would take a couple of years, and where would the Red sox play during the construction?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

To each their own.  I would rather sit in Fenway and watch a game than anywhere else.  The less than user-friendly aspects of the park are also what make it a uniquely wonderful experience.  But I can understand how it might not be some folks' bag.  And I can certainly understand anyone taking umbrage at the insane ticket prices.  I balk at that myself.  But, I personally don't like new cookie-cutter sports venues where everything is perfectly designed.  What can I say?  I believe in soul, and Fenway has it in spades.  Its like, give me Hubert Sumlin over BB King any day of the week.  Its the imperfection that makes art beautiful to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There is nothing in the world like Fenway. Whether your opinion is good or bad it is what it is. Complaining will do nothing for anyone except elevate your blood pressure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

we used to have another place that was solemn ground called Boston garden.  It had far more championships than Fenway, but how many of us want to go back to the old garden?

Us new englanders are tough; we could adjust to a new ballpark

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

we used to have another place that was solemn ground called Boston garden.  It had far more championships than Fenway, but how many of us want to go back to the old garden? Us new englanders are tough; we could adjust to a new ballpark
    Posted by provpats

Ha.  I wish we still had the old garden.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

still driving that stanley steamer space?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

There is nothing in the world like Fenway. Whether your opinion is good or bad it is what it is. Complaining will do nothing for anyone except elevate your blood pressure.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

progress is only made by unreasonable men

sure am glad Bob Kraft doesn't have some of you as an adviser

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bucky Dent. Show Bucky Dent's posts

You would think NESN, owned by the RS, would know the routine before hand and have an inset of the screen with the players names.  I missed half of them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I'm never going to crap on Fenway but there is a point to be made about how this ownership group uses Fenway as a cash cow.  They sell the Fenway experience to a disgusting extent, none more shameless than this 100 year build up. 

I care a lot less about a ballpark's bday than I do about the team inhabiting said ballpark.  Luccino, et al, seem to think they can gloss over the product on the field by force feeding us this trumped up sentimentality I'm supposed to feel about Fenway.  With the pink hatters and the people who flock from around the country to go to Fenway, it might just work.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I'm never going to crap on Fenway but there is a point to be made about how this ownership group uses Fenway as a cash cow.  They sell the Fenway experience to a disgusting extent, none more shameless than this 100 year build up.  I care a lot less about a ballpark's bday than I do about the team inhabiting said ballpark.  Luccino, et al, seem to think they can gloss over the product on the field by force feeding us this trumped up sentimentality I'm supposed to feel about Fenway.  With the pink hatters and the people who flock from around the country to go to Fenway, it might just work.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

The thing that gets me the most is this balloon ticket giveaway thing.  Willy Wonka anyone?  Really?  But, look, anything sacred in our culture is going to be totally co-opted in the name of the almighty dollar.  In a way, you can think of it as Freemarket Landmark Preservation.  If this ownership group didn't have dollar signs in their eyes when they thought of pimping Fenway for all it was worth, Fenway wouldn't exist today.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

For what's it's worth, the guys on Comcast Sports Tonight last night, which incuded Tony Mazz and Felger, were bashing the ceremony because of how the invites were handled. They were doing it on their radio show also. 

I think it's really inaccurate to say the media is bought and sold, though some do curry favor. It's more accurate to say that the media caters to the lowest common denominator more often than not and that opinion-making is in and true investigative journalism is out. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

For all the money they put put into it they could have been at least 30% of the way to a new park; but that would have interfered with Liverpool, Nascar etc As to the sighlines, I would say they are the worst; try Coors, Chavez Ravine, ATT, the Seattle and Arizona parks.  far  Far far superior with lower prices The infrastructure is supposedly good for another 40...boy is that great news. The increase is seating was done by taking old space and squeezing more into it.  they have not changed the seating or the sightlines in right. the sad part of this is what most fans will accept for the highest ticket price in baseball.
    Posted by provpats

I guess you don't know much about Boston politics. The money they spent fixing up Fenway wouldn't even cover half of what they would need for bribes and kickbacks to the politicians and unions.

Oh. Go to some place like Arizona. If you want to sit behind home plate, you're paying about $165 just like in Fenway.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

For what's it's worth, the guys on Comcast Sports Tonight last night, which incuded Tony Mazz and Felger, were bashing the ceremony because of how the invites were handled. They were doing it on their radio show also.  I think it's really inaccurate to say the media is bought and sold, though some do curry favor. It's more accurate to say that the media caters to the lowest common denominator more often than not and that opinion-making is in and true investigative journalism is out. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

The bashing of this that Felger and Mazz have been doing on this has been pathetic. Sure -- mistakes might have been made.

But after watching the show -- seeing Yaz, seeing guys from the '67, '75 and '86 teams, seeing other greats and even lesser players like Bob Montgomery; and most of all, seeing Johnny Pesky and Bobby Doerr, the DP combination from 1946 on the field together for proably the last time considering their age, health and the fact that Doerr lives in Oregon -- there is no reason in the world why the event should have been criticized.

Sections
Shortcuts