Boston Red Sox talked to Masahiro Tanaka's agent, meeting possible

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Boston Red Sox talked to Masahiro Tanaka's agent, meeting possible

Jason Mastrodonato of MassLive.com 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Boston Red Sox talked to Masahiro Tanaka's agent, meeting possible

IMO Ben would not be doing "due dilligence" if he did not meet this young man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Not a surprise to hear that the Red Sox are interested in Tanaka.

And, from what Cherington was quoted, they may have more interest than he was letting on.

If they felt comfortable paying Dempster 14 M they certainly can pay Tanaka 16 M year.  Both situations was/are gambles, but at least Tanaka is 12 years younger.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/masahiro-tanaka-meet-teams/story?id=21475269

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Tanaka will probably make 20M per over 6-7 years

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And, from what Cherington was quoted, they may have more interest than he was letting on.

If they felt comfortable paying Dempster 14 M they certainly can pay Tanaka 16 M year.  Both situations was/are gambles, but at least Tanaka is 12 years younger.

[/QUOTE]

Tanaka is going to get a contract for much longer than Dempster's contract. That makes him a much larger gamble.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt Sox can pay Tanaka $16M a year.  But the problem is Sox have to pay 6 or 7 times.  Dempster got his $13M+ for several reason.  No he's not a $13M+ pitcher.  But he's a veteran who's very reliable eating lots of innings and he came to Boston for only two years.  Sox may had over paid him little bit because of the length of the contract.  Dempster is a backend starter who might be worth $10-11M.  

Now, Tanaka is still very young and had phenominal season in Japan.  Darvish has proved that transition from NPB to MLB could work so there shouldn't be serious controverse over Tanaka capability.  Because of the new posting system, Tanaka will be paid like a #2 starter or even an ace.  Red Sox is a big market team so no issues with signing Tanaka money wise.  But the length of the contract remains as the obstacles and crowded competition as well.  If Tanaka somehow lands in Boston and he follows Darvish's footstep, we will have one of the stronger rotation in 2014.  But I think it will come down to the Dodgers and the Yankees money battle at the end of the day.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Million dollar bonus to Koji and Taz if they can convince Tanaka Boston is the right place to play

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya after listening to the interview with BC yesterday it seemed like he was trying to play things very close to the chest and give out as little info as possible regaurding the sox interest. The next  couple weeks should be very interesting. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It's hard to see Sox out bidding reportedly going all-out Dodgers and the biggest spender of all time Yankees. 

Peter Gammons tweeted that Sox are one of the 2 teams known to be interested in South Korean RHP Suk-Min Yoon.  Yoon said in the media that he will sign with the team which can give him a rotation spot right out of the gate.  The Twins is the other team that's been involved with Yoon.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's hard to see Sox out bidding reportedly going all-out Dodgers and the biggest spender of all time Yankees. 

[/QUOTE]

True.  But by playing close to the vest and simply kicking the tires, Ben is in a good position to drive both Dodgers and Yankees to obscene heights to make sure they get their man.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True.  But by playing close to the vest and simply kicking the tires, Ben is in a good position to drive both Dodgers and Yankees to obscene heights to make sure they get their man.

[/QUOTE]

That's very true.  But will the Dodgers and the Yankees seriously consider us the possible suitor?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's very true.  But will the Dodgers and the Yankees seriously consider us the possible suitor?  

[/QUOTE]

I think as long as it is unknown, it has to be a factor.  The Sox have the means if they wanted to do it.  This is another key component of the Big Trade salary cleanse and subsequent shorter-term mid-range vet signings:  the Sox have the wherewithal to play ball in any chase.  The Yankess and Dodgers wouldn't have taken Ben seriously if this was two years ago because the coffers had already been emptied for years to come.  But, now?  Why not?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

When Darvish was making the transition over, everyone (here at BDC) was glad that the Sox were unlikely suitors for him due to their financial inflexibility. I tried to convince people why he was different than Matsuzaka and would be an impact player in the Show and worth an investment. I was right - so I feel like I've earned some credibility when I say this...

Tanaka will be a bust. He will get a contract higher than he deserves (due to the smaller posting fee) and does not have the skills to back it up. He will be worse than Dice-K. He has questionable stuff, questionable command, and high mileage. I will be highly surprised if he gets more than 50 career wins. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When Darvish was making the transition over, everyone (here at BDC) was glad that the Sox were unlikely suitors for him due to their financial inflexibility. I tried to convince people why he was different than Matsuzaka and would be an impact player in the Show and worth an investment. I was right - so I feel like I've earned some credibility when I say this...

Tanaka will be a bust. He will get a contract higher than he deserves (due to the smaller posting fee) and does not have the skills to back it up. He will be worse than Dice-K. He has questionable stuff, questionable command, and high mileage. I will be highly surprised if he gets more than 50 career wins. 

[/QUOTE]

Darvish was posted before you started posting here. what gives?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I also expressed that Darvish was a sure thing and different than Matsuzaka.  I was not 'glad' that the Sox were not in a financial position to make an aggressive play for him, but rather accepted the reality with a bit of melancholy.  I do not feel like my heralding of Darvish earns me any credibility on Tanaka though.  It was pretty clear with Darvish:  his body, his age, his velocity.  They separated him from the 'artiness' of Matsuzaka that was exposed in the Bigs.

What i think would give you some credibility on Tanaka is if you would back up your prognostications of Bust with some deeper baseball rationale.  This would be an interesting discussion.  I myself cannot tell.  Why do you think he will be a bust?  Besides your soothsaying ability.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

John Shea, National baseball writer/columnist, San Francisco Chronicle, 27th year covering Giants, A's, 32nd year covering ball. 

I hear Masahiro Tanaka's three preferred spots going in are LA, NY and Boston, so five teams. Dodgers, Angels, Yankees. Mets, Red Sox

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

John Shea, National baseball writer/columnist, San Francisco Chronicle, 27th year covering Giants, A's, 32nd year covering ball. 

I hear Masahiro Tanaka's three preferred spots going in are LA, NY and Boston, so five teams. Dodgers, Angels, Yankees. Mets, Red Sox

[/QUOTE]

So he's going after money...  We have 3 Japanese pitchers (Koji, Taz, and Watanabe who signed MiLB deal) if that helps.  I hope they could convince Tanaka how awesome it is to pitch for the Red Sox.  Well, Watanabe can't... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Recent success by Asian players like Darvish, Ryu, and Uehara may have changed some thinking on the value of players not brought up through the American minor leagues.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I read the Gammons report and it is consistant with the SF writers report, Yoon and Iglesias both RHP'rs are on the Sox radar, as for Tanaka he has stated that his 3 most desired landing spots are LA,NY and Boston, and I'm not sure what order he placed the cities in... Iglesias is another in a long line of Cuban defectors and he is a good prospect from what I've read, time to put our assets to work in convincing the potential RHP'rs Tanaka and Iglesias to really consider Boston as their final destinations, we have 3 Japanese born players in our system, Watanabe,Koji, and Taz. We only have two Cuban born players in JC Linares and Hinojosa, but hey they have plenty of time to recruit while waiting for ST...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

[QUOTE]

Peter Gammons tweeted that Sox are one of the 2 teams known to be interested in South Korean RHP Suk-Min Yoon.  Yoon said in the media that he will sign with the team which can give him a rotation spot right out of the gate.  The Twins is the other team that's been involved with Yoon.  

[/QUOTE]

NO... You suk-min yoon. ;) 

I'm such a child.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was formerly Titletown11

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See how easy it is to notice things like that? They're always worth mentioning, especially when he's talking about how the Sox shouldn't go after Tanaka. Ridiculous.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

The Sox have taken the time to help ease Asian players' transition to MLB here. We have players who are happy playing and WINNING here. You can't say that would not be part of the consideration for another player coming here. I think, whether we win him over or not, that has to give us some advantage. And, hopefully, if it winds up being a tough decision, it puts us over the top.

Just think, if we are successful in these negotiations, it might also put us ahead of the competition for other talented Asian players in the future. Along with keeping him from helping our number one rival, not having to face him ourselves, and benefitting our staff, we can add that to the list of why this acquisition is such an advantageous move for the team. Win-win-win-win.

Sections
Shortcuts