Boston Red Sox - Trading deadline sellers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Boston Red Sox - Trading deadline sellers

The Red Sox will be sellers. If anyone takes them, the following players will be gone for sure:

Johnny Gomes

David Ross

Stephen Drew

Jake Peavey

Jon Lester

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Boston Red Sox - Trading deadline sellers

Not Lester.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

David Ross ? seems 2 me trading the more valuable the AJ , and

keeping ross to mentor whatever kid they bring up makes more sense

Jon Lester- is that not kissing next yr good bye 2

how bout trading koji ? he might get  the most interest

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox will be sellers. If anyone takes them, the following players will be gone for sure:

Johnny Gomes

David Ross

Stephen Drew

Jake Peavey

Jon Lester

[/QUOTE]

yes anyone who is in the last year of their contract would be on the table

But Lester, only if he won't sign the "TEAM FRIENDLY" deal he told the world and only if he changes his mind and that we won't "HAVE TO RIP THE RED SOX JERSEY OFF HIS BACK"........6 years/111.  You'll have the largest contract (for now) on the team in terms of both annual pay and total contract amt.  Take it or you're getting dealt.  Up to you......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I think the Sox are going to have to give up a Pitching Prospect or 2 to get a Young impact Outfield Bat. Kid like Piscotty is someone I would look at. Cards really like this kid too though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We're only 9 out--8 in the loss column.

I'm not saying it's going to get much better but for the way this team has played and some of the bone head moves JF made last year that worked aren't working this year. He's got to use better judgement in my estimation as an ex. yesterday trotting Workman out for the 7 th. He lucked out doing the same thing Sat with Peavy. Take 6 good innings from the rookie or Peavy who can't see the signs and turn it over to the pen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I started a thread about this a while ago.

Other free agents to be are Uehara, Miller, AJ P, Capuano and Badenhop.

Then there are the free agents after 2015 that could be dealt as well: Victorino, Napoli, Mujica & Herrera.

We could get something very useful for Lester & Uehara and maybe something valuable for Peavy, Miller and AJ P, but the rest would be for low level prospects at best.

I'd try and extend Lester, but if he won't take our price, then I'd trade him if we are out of it by the deadline or the waiver deal period.

Uehara is a tough one to extend 2-3 years at his age, but the guy is simply the best! He will not be easily or cheaply replaced.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, I felt that about Papelbon, that you can't find a consistent closer and then Uehara shows up and is a 10x better shutdown closer than Jonathan ever was, which is saying a lot. Enjoy Uehara as long as he is a Sox. Once he's gone, back to post Papelbon and pre Papelbon-Foulke, unreliable closers 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

moon, I felt that about Papelbon, that you can't find a consistent closer and then Uehara shows up and is a 10x better shutdown closer than Jonathan ever was, which is saying a lot. Enjoy Uehara as long as he is a Sox. Once he's gone, back to post Papelbon and pre Papelbon-Foulke, unreliable closers 

[/QUOTE]

We didn't even sign Uehara to be the closer, and didn't even give him the job right away after Hanrahan floundered then got hurt, so I guess you never know.

I was not for outbidding anyone for Papelbon, and his last year here was not a "sell" year at the deadline, like it might be this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Then there are the free agents after 2015 that could be dealt as well: Victorino, Napoli, Mujica & Herrera.

We could get something very useful for Lester & Uehara and maybe something valuable for Peavy, Miller and AJ P, but the rest would be for low level prospects at best.

I'd try and extend Lester, but if he won't take our price, then I'd trade him if we are out of it by the deadline or the waiver deal period.

Uehara is a tough one to extend 2-3 years at his age, but the guy is simply the best! He will not be easily or cheaply replaced.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]
    You must be excited. The potential of the Sox blowing it up as set your heart all a flutter. Your motto change for change stake at any cost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]
    You must be excited. The potential of the Sox blowing it up as set your heart all a flutter. Your motto change for change stake at any cost.

[/QUOTE]

Where do you get that from ("change for change sake at any cost")?

I'm not BILL.

If you want to lose all our free agents and get nothing in return, but a draft pick each for Lester and Uehara, then explain how that helps us going forward.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not BILL.

If you want to lose all our free agents and get nothing in return, but a draft pick each for Lester and Uehara, then explain how that helps us going forward.

[/QUOTE]
    Your 8 million lineups, threads like the 2016 one and the one from last year about what team would be better and more fun to watch. I mean you devote thought and energy into it but you are super pro change. Unlike you I think the Sox aren't a small market team and could afford to sign some players if the value is fair. I think Uehara you trade if you think you can replace him or if you think are not going to any good next year else you hope to resign him. The Lester thing comes down to if you feel you have any shot to resign( since it will be several year of his service) you hold on to him. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not BILL.

[/QUOTE]
    Your 8 million lineups, threads like the 2016 one and the one from last year about what team would be better and more fun to watch. I mean you devote thought and energy into it but you are super pro change. Unlike you I think the Sox aren't a small market team and could afford to sign some players if the value is fair. I think Uehara you trade if you think you can replace him or if you think are not going to any good next year else you hope to resign him. The Lester thing comes down to if you feel you have any shot to resign( since it will be several year of his service) you hold on to him. 

[/QUOTE]

What does posting various line-ups have to do with wanting to trade people?

I want Uehara and Lester back, but we can find out now what they want for contracts, and if they are out of range, and we are out of contention, then why not get something more valuable than a comp pick for them via trade?

That's not "change for change sake". I want these two back, and I'd probably offer more than Ben will to keep them, so I think you are misunderstanding my position here.

I don't trade anyone unless we are out of it or can upgrade our team beyond 2015. That's not an absurd position by any means.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Johnny Gomes

David Ross

Stephen Drew

Jake Peavey

Jon Lester

[/QUOTE]

yes anyone who is in the last year of their contract would be on the table

But Lester, only if he won't sign the "TEAM FRIENDLY" deal he told the world and only if he changes his mind and that we won't "HAVE TO RIP THE RED SOX JERSEY OFF HIS BACK"........6 years/111.  You'll have the largest contract (for now) on the team in terms of both annual pay and total contract amt.  Take it or you're getting dealt.  Up to you......

[/QUOTE]

That's probably already been done. He's going to want 6 years and he for sure will test free agency. They are not signing him. Let him go, Peavy, etc.

Sign Scherzer, and have a rotation of Scherzer, Lackey, Buchholz (Crap shoot), Workman, Renaudo and Owens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not BILL.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does posting various line-ups have to do with wanting to trade people?

I want Uehara and Lester back, but we can find out now what they want for contracts, and if they are out of range, and we are out of contention, then why not get something more valuable than a comp pick for them via trade?

That's not "change for change sake". I want these two back, and I'd probably offer more than Ben will to keep them, so I think you are misunderstanding my position here.

I don't trade anyone unless we are out of it or can upgrade our team beyond 2015. That's not an absurd position by any means.

[/QUOTE]

Moon - Agree exactly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Unlike you I think the Sox aren't a small market team and could afford to sign some players if the value is fair.

I have never even hinted that we are a small market team. We have been close to the luxury limit for years and years- that is not small market. I do think Henry does not want us to go over the limit multiple years, so as to avoid steep taxes. We have a long history of setting a price for our free agents to be and not going over. We have lost many to over-bidders like the Yanks. We have done well with some draft picks we have gotten after losing them, but I think we could get more for trading them.

We have not been out of the race at the deadline or the waiver trade period, except the year we traded AGon, so I do think Ben may be looking at the possibility of trading some one he knows he will not overbid for, like perhaps Lester or Uehara.

I think Ben has a pretty good idea what Lester wants, and if he thinks his number is close, then I doubt he trades him, but why not try to extend him before the trade deadlines, and if it looks like we won't get him to sign, then see what's out there for offers?

Uehara is a tougher guy to gauge. He may like it here and want to finish in Boston. He may want a longer term deal at his age. I'd love to keep him here, but like Papelbon, I', not for spending 1/14th of the player budget on a closer. 

I'm hoping we are still in it, and all of this is moot, but if we look like we have no chance, I want us to improve our future as best we can. Trading our free agents to be does not mean we are giving up on 2015. We could package some of our prospects this winter for some established performers.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and on my "A Look Ahead at 2016", the blanks I left open at a few positions could be filled by people like Lester, Uehara and maybe even Napoli- all extended or re-signed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You must be excited. The potential of the Sox blowing it up as set your heart all a flutter. Your motto change for change stake at any cost."

Gotta say I don't agree with that - Moon has never been a "blow up the team" guy. We have that around here but we all know who leads the "blow up the team" charge. Yeah Moon throws out some hypotheticals but in more of a thoughtful way. 

ADG I think we should be sellers this year but I'm not convinced management thinks so - yet. 

I'm less concerned about dumping guys right and left who aren't performing and more interested in what the future holds. 

In my mind once the Sox realize they are sellers their top priority by far is to determine if they are going to resign Lester or not. They have to know that before they can proceed. If they can't resign Lester, then he should be moved. 

In a big picture sense, as much as it hurts to trade quality pitching, it does seem like there is more of a surplus, if that's fair, of quality pitching versus quality outfield bats (including what we have in the farm system). 

So, whether it's Lester or some other pitcher, seems to me that quality bats, particularly in the outfield, are the priority. I'd want to see roster changes made with that in mind first and foremost...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The key. Boston troll is to find the right pitcher(s) that can pitch in Boston.

Or the Right Bat that has thick skin that can play here.

To me Vic, Drew. Nap, Lackey, Peavy, AJ, Ross, Bad Hop, Ue,  and Gomes seem to be those types--we have to replace these guys with similar people with similar mindsets. Lots of Free Agents---few home grown. We need to find out if the young kids have the same ability to accept the pressure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

WE should dump Lester cause Scherzer will sign for short money ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, if we can't sign Lester for 110 million, we should sign Scherzer for 150 million.  We spend a lot more money that way, but we get a new face, and that's very important.

The Yankees can have Lester for 115 million.  They need a lefty to replace Sabathia.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would rather move Peavy than Lester or Lackey but to get a power bat like Van Slyke it may have to be one of the L's. I think I would go with Lester and put up with Peavy's fingernail biting games if Van Slyke is the target. Lester would allow the Dodgers or the Giants, for that matter, to write their ticket to the playoffs. Lester might do that for the Braves or the Nats or solidify the Brewers chances to get beyond the first round.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Johnny Gomes

David Ross

Stephen Drew

Jake Peavey

Jon Lester

It better be a yard sale and please take any offer, except for Lester, where one could negotiate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Solution, sign both . You will have alot of money coming off the books in th next year, and if you don't sign em the Yanks probably get one or the other. At least push then price up. We should be younger at a lot of positions two years from now so our position payroll should be lower along with a lot of our pitching payroll, if the minor league talent is as good as it is supposed to be.. Lose Peavey, he is almost done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Red Sox will not be a seller if they are only 5.5 games behind in the wildcard standing.  They got a whole alot of times to make the team better and go on a hot roll in the month of August to Sept.  With that very deep starting pitching rotation including Bucholtz and Doubront when they are healthy, these rotation can carry the team to make into the playoff.  All the teams in the wildcard standing are likely to go to fall apart with their starting pitching.   No way that KC, Yankees, Seattle, Baltimore, etc can go strong in the month of August and Sept. cuz they need more pitching.   

Yes they could all make a trade for pitching, but which team is willing to give up pitching.  Boston could be one of them cuz they will soon have too many.  But Boston know they are not going to trade with a team that are going to make into the playoff in AL league, and they rather to make a trade with a NL team.  Tampa would be the other team, but they are not going to trade a pitcher within the same division as well they rather to get bunch of young talent players in return.  And the bad part is that almost entire AL league are all in the playoff chase.  Meaning, no one is willing going to give up pitching unless few teams fell apart within a month from now.  

I just think that alot of teams will have a hard time making a trade due most of them are currently in the playoff chase as well most of them will be asking alot in return.  Trading is going to be a whole alot different system than in the past cuz they just added the fifth wildcard spot.