Boston Sign Kelly Shoppach "WoW Nothing Ben Cherington"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Boston Sign Kelly Shoppach "WoW Nothing Ben Cherington"

I think the Sox are going to trade Salty to the cubbies so he can be with his boyfriend Theo! When the compensation is finally taken care of it will be in the form of a trade where the Sox dump some of Theo's lusting players on him and the Sox get real players in return.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Boston Sign Kelly Shoppach "WoW Nothing Ben Cherington":
    [QUOTE]Every team makings its moves and Ben Cherrington come with this, a catcher who cant hit. I think that this move was unneccesary because we have lavarnway in fold for the rockie minimum. What do you guys think about it />?
    Posted by MVP1686[/QUOTE]

Interesting move to say the least, I hope it's Saltyl involved in whatever package is being set up and not Lav.  Theo tried for years to get Salty so it's a possibility he wants him in Chicago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Sign Kelly Shoppach "WoW Nothing Ben Cherington":
    [QUOTE]True, you seem to get my point since last summer. It is absurd, but at least Varitek is gone and slight position improvment is better than none at all. But plain stupid not to lock up hernandez with the early specific offer I said to lock him up with.

Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Maybe they're considering Tek for the pitching coach job?????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So who's the new captain?

My guess is if it ain't Pedey....it's no one. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]So who's the new captain? My guess is if it ain't Pedey....it's no one. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is going to be any Cs handed out anytime soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Sign Kelly Shoppach "WoW Nothing Ben Cherington" : I don't think there is going to be any Cs handed out anytime soon.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I think your right

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think any move is better than no move.  He at least guarantees that Tek won't be back as a catcher...that is a positive move for them.  Shoppach is a good defensive catcher with a great track record at throwing out runners...however since the Sox staff (for the most part) does not use the slide step with runners on, his percentage could dip with the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A captain is not needed , and never has been. The manager should be the         " captain."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Valentine said there will be no new captain named if Veritek doesn't return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Beckett might not be happy.    He lost his designated catcher and his new manager wants him to work faster between pitches.    

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

Josh Beckett has a tradition of a good year followed by a bad year throughout his career.  Expect more of the same in 2012.  It's what he does and has done consistently.  His ERA in 5 of the last even numbered years is 4.5 plus and he averages about 11 wins versus 9 or 10 losses.  Expect more of the same. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Kelly Shoppach - not the worst catcher, solid defense. Offense...uh - I've seen worse. Fairly certain he's an upgrade on V-Tek though.

But, don't like this move because of the spot it puts Lavarnway in. I thought he earned his spot in the Show with his call-up last year. Normally, players can play their way on to a team in Spring Training - but how can you justify three catchers and have David Ortiz on the roster.

This means more Triple A ball for Lava even though he's better and cheaper than Shoppach.

But I guess having three, maybe 4 (Expo) MLB quality catchers can't be a bad thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I do believe that at several times in recent years that Boston had two catchers in Boston and one waiting to come up at Pawtucket.  Are we getting too apprehensive about this and exaggerating the dilemna?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

In response to "Boston Sign Kelly Shoppach "WoW Nothing Ben Cherington"": [QUOTE]Every team makings its moves and Ben Cherrington come with this, a catcher who cant hit. I think that this move was unneccesary because we have lavarnway in fold for the rockie minimum. What do you guys think about it>? Posted by MVP1686[/QUOTE] Shoppy is a lefty masher that threw out 41% of base runners last year. We could do a heck of a lot worse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Shoppach nice to have around, hopefully he'll hit, and hopefully this isn't all Ben does this offseason....