Boston Strong?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Boston Strong?

The last two times I've worn my Pedroia jersey around town here, it almost seems like I get special treatment. I get "hey, you from Boston?", or "I like your shirt", or "did you see how that game ended the other day?"--where I never got that before. It's almost as if all things Boston are now in style, and everyone notices it. It's nice to wear Red Sox stuff and have it be known for something positive besides The Collapse and all the Valentine controversies. But beyond that, it's as if anything with Boston on it (especially Red Sox stuff) seems to generate all kinds of good will from fellow human beings. Very strange, yet it's also nice to see. I just wondered if anyone on the forum outside the Boston fan base in the NE had run into much of this? Add all this to the fast start, and it's a good time to follow the Red Sox. I think they've put together a good TEAM, not full of superstars, but a good, well rounded team--which is what they were known for until 2010-11 when they started to act like the Yankees. I think if they stay relatively healthy--especially in the rotation--it will be a fun summer to follow them whether they take it all the way or not. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Boston Strong?

Shoes with 'Boston Strong' written on the bottom (tessannjoan via Instagram)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

I've noticed that a bit more too.  I was out in Annapolis (I live in MD now) wearing my Sox hat and a guy walked up to me and said, "Good hat."  It was the day after the manhunt. 

Yes right now, Boston is trendy, because not only did the city suffer on what is supposed to be it greatest day of the year, but that it and its people said, "You are not changing who we are" to terrorists.  The strength, resiliency and attitude of the city has been brought to light.  The "I don't care what you think" attitude that Boston has used to tick people off, but when directed at criminals and terrorists who tried to destroy our way of life, people got to see the positive side of it.

Nothing seems to personify the city of Boston quite like the Red Sox.  That's why even hockey and basketball arenas were playing Sweet Caroline. 

These creeps underestimated the people of Boston and they paid for it.  The Red Sox are standing tall telling the people that they are there to help us remain who we are.  The rest of the country is finally seeing that.  Boston Strong, like Army Strong, is a way of life, not just a slogan.  And the Red Sox are showing the sports world, and the nation, why we believe it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to ArmyPatsFan's comment:

I've noticed that a bit more too.  I was out in Annapolis (I live in MD now) wearing my Sox hat and a guy walked up to me and said, "Good hat."  It was the day after the manhunt. 

Yes right now, Boston is trendy, because not only did the city suffer on what is supposed to be it greatest day of the year, but that it and its people said, "You are not changing who we are" to terrorists.  The strength, resiliency and attitude of the city has been brought to light.  The "I don't care what you think" attitude that Boston has used to tick people off, but when directed at criminals and terrorists who tried to destroy our way of life, people got to see the positive side of it.

Nothing seems to personify the city of Boston quite like the Red Sox.  That's why even hockey and basketball arenas were playing Sweet Caroline. 

These creeps underestimated the people of Boston and they paid for it.  The Red Sox are standing tall telling the people that they are there to help us remain who we are.  The rest of the country is finally seeing that.  Boston Strong, like Army Strong, is a way of life, not just a slogan.  And the Red Sox are showing the sports world, and the nation, why we believe it!

glad to hear you chime in son! You got that right. Boston Strong and Army Strong are very much a way of life. It warms my heart to see that gals in their bdu's are now getting equal opportunity in this awesome all volunteer United States Army. I just hope you know that us old time vets got all of our military's back and we are very active in our VFW's in sending everything and anything we can to the troops over in the sand. just wondering  but what's your mos? mine was 67N40.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Great post!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I was wearing one of my six Red Sox shirts the other day, and some guy walks past and says, "This is our f------ city!!" Without censoring himself. Confused  the heck out of my wife, but I, of course,  cracked  up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

The last two times I've worn my Pedroia jersey around town here, it almost seems like I get special treatment. I get "hey, you from Boston?", or "I like your shirt", or "did you see how that game ended the other day?"--where I never got that before. It's almost as if all things Boston are now in style, and everyone notices it. It's nice to wear Red Sox stuff and have it be known for something positive besides The Collapse and all the Valentine controversies. But beyond that, it's as if anything with Boston on it (especially Red Sox stuff) seems to generate all kinds of good will from fellow human beings. Very strange, yet it's also nice to see. I just wondered if anyone on the forum outside the Boston fan base in the NE had run into much of this? Add all this to the fast start, and it's a good time to follow the Red Sox. I think they've put together a good TEAM, not full of superstars, but a good, well rounded team--which is what they were known for until 2010-11 when they started to act like the Yankees. I think if they stay relatively healthy--especially in the rotation--it will be a fun summer to follow them whether they take it all the way or not. 

As someone who grew up in NYC and now works in NYC and lives in NJ, I would say right now there is some additional "good will" towards Boston here, but the Sox themselves have been "cool" in NYC since 2004.....so many celebrities have self identified as Sox fans since then and a lot of Met Fans in NYC, who have always been Sox fans also(Yankee haters) have become more Avid Sox fans......NYers in general though will always feel a kindred spirit with Boston, because they share a "don't mess with us" attitude and a very similar political viewpoint....New Yorkers and Bostonians are winners and people who love to enjoy life....which is what has made the two cities so successful and is probably why we are targets.....not because we are religously less tolerant, since we are exactly the opposite, but because we represent a freedom that is abhorrent to those who want to defeat us.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

I do know that the veterans community is strongly backing those of us still in.  I love you guys, you have made me feel a member of a special club.  I am an Armor officer, with 10 yrs in, shooting for 20.  I've bounced around the country and the world, doing 2 deployments to Iraq. I've stayed up late or woken up early to watch the Sox and Pats play.  I met my wife due to where I was stationed, and have enjoyed the journey so far.

That's why I had to say that I am as proud today to be a Soldier from Massachusetts as I was 10 years ago when I was commissioned.  I will wear my Sox hat anywhere, that includes where I've been stationed, like TX, KY, MD, GA, KS and, of course, NY/NJ. 

I won't take my Sox/New England pride down for anyone, and I was so proud of how the city responded to the attacks.  I was calling and texting friends and family who were at the Marathon and trapped by the manhunt, making sure they were safe.  My Army family here was extremely supportive of me while I attempted to locate my sister and others who were close to the explosions. 

And that's just the type of thing I have come to expect from people in the military, and it is the same with where I grew up in Mass.  That New England kindness and pride doesn't get enough respect or notice.  And the Sox this year exemplify it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I do know that the veterans community is strongly backing those of us still in.  I love you guys, you have made me feel a member of a special club.  I am an Armor officer, with 10 yrs in, shooting for 20.  I've bounced around the country and the world, doing 2 deployments to Iraq. I've stayed up late or woken up early to watch the Sox and Pats play.  I met my wife due to where I was stationed, and have enjoyed the journey so far.

That's why I had to say that I am as proud today to be a Soldier from Massachusetts as I was 10 years ago when I was commissioned.  I will wear my Sox hat anywhere, that includes where I've been stationed, like TX, KY, MD, GA, KS and, of course, NY/NJ. 

I won't take my Sox/New England pride down for anyone, and I was so proud of how the city responded to the attacks.  I was calling and texting friends and family who were at the Marathon and trapped by the manhunt, making sure they were safe.  My Army family here was extremely supportive of me while I attempted to locate my sister and others who were close to the explosions. 

And that's just the type of thing I have come to expect from people in the military, and it is the same with where I grew up in Mass.  That New England kindness and pride doesn't get enough respect or notice.  And the Sox this year exemplify it.

You are and guys and gals like you are in a special club. Your all part of the new breed that is taking the torch from us Viet Nam vets just like we did for our dads,granddads and uncles that came from the greatest generation ever during WW2. I also speak for the Korean vets as well.
    Of course I'm speaking of those from dessert storm up to the present day. Really glad to hear that you have made it a career. There were many times that I considered re-uping but like I'm sure what you experienced I knew I had had enough. best of luck to you son and always keep your sox on. from what I hear, papi's little t-shirt is selling like hot cakes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Well said! You win first prize for post of the week IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

Thank you very much.  I really enjoyed this thread and you guys have all been so kind.  These are the threads I like to read and participate in.  Well thought out and respectful needs to show up just a little bit more.  Please keep starting these type of threads.  I love my Sox as much as anyone, for them, but also because of how awesome real Sox fans are.  You guys are great, keep on pulling for them Sox and Boston Strong!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Adam Sandler said it best in his Tweet:

"Boston is probably the only major city that if you f*#k with them, they will shut down the whole city...stop everything...and find you."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Thank you very much.  I really enjoyed this thread and you guys have all been so kind.  These are the threads I like to read and participate in.  Well thought out and respectful needs to show up just a little bit more.  Please keep starting these type of threads.  I love my Sox as much as anyone, for them, but also because of how awesome real Sox fans are.  You guys are great, keep on pulling for them Sox and Boston Strong!

Youre welcomed, and thanks for your service. I never served, but am a student of American military history, mostly Civil War, so I can appreciate the sacrifices that have been made. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Adam Sandler said it best in his Tweet:

"Boston is probably the only major city that if you f*#k with them, they will shut down the whole city...stop everything...and find you."

There is only one appropriate response.  Quoting JFK of course, but “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.”1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Boston gear and signs of support were prevalent Sunday in Oregon at the Eugene Marathon (which I ran).

http://www.klcc.org/images/imagemanager/marathon1.JPG

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/sports/29795890-81/laney-marathon-eugene-half-race.html.csp

http://media.philly.com/images/20130429_dn_0mlzn1kp.jpg

Sections
Shortcuts