Boston.com radar spects ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Boston.com radar spects ?

Reading the boston.com about what can be on the Sox radar for deals or signings as of late their list included the following. Most of us poster are still talking about. These are my opinions only:

(1) Napoli - good chance he will be signed may get an anwer by end of this week

(2) C. Ross- the Sox are playing the waiting game

(3) Berkman- the positive he is willing to sign a one year contract

(4) Lohse- refuse STL offer for 13.3 mill. if lester goes via trade this could be a strong possibility for FA signing

(5) Hamilton- too risky for my taste

(6) Swisher- one year deal maybe but any larger contract no thanx

(7) Shane Victorino-  should of pickek him up in last years big trade

(8) A. Sanchez- his ball park figure 6 yrs. for 90 mill. i rather spend the money on Lohse

(9) J. Bay - i like the kid but no thanx

(10) Gordon _ trade material but what do the sox need to give up, i will say no thanx keep the propsects

(11) Choo- same thing too big of trade risk I rather keep our prospects

(12) Haren- Angels bought out his 15 mill contract for 3.5 mill. I rather take the risk on Marcum on a 2 yr. deal, especially if we get Lohse lock up and Jays coaching staff is very familiar with him ( marcum). Lohse is an older pitcher but is very experience by playing with the Cardinals

(13) Laroche- don't need him if napoli is signed, if the sox can't sign napoli then i rather see the low risk Berkman for a one year deal

(14) J. Upton - he can produce runs along with a healthy Ellsbury will give the sox plenty scores something the team needs. The big question is what will Sox need to give up

(15) Materson- i will take a chance on him again he after an ex Sox and will know what it is like to play in the Sox nation

Other Topics mention in the article:

(A) Ellsbury - extend his contract (B) Ped- how much will his ext. cost the Sox (C) Papi signed for the DH role, Gomes the highprofile bench player and D. Ross the new catcher

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Boston.com radar spects ?

I think Berkman on a one-year contract to play 1B (and DH at times) for the Red Sox is a good idea (better than offering Napoli a four-year deal).  

Berkman has a high OBP, a positive guy to have in the clubhouse, and he shows that he can play in 2011 (although he was injured for most of 2012).  

A one-year contract will motivate him to put up big numbers as he seeks a bigger contract the following year (just like Beltre did in 2010 with the Red Sox).  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Berkman on a one-year contract to play 1B (and DH at times) for the Red Sox is a good idea (better than offering Napoli a four-year deal).  

Berkman has a high OBP, a positive guy to have in the clubhouse, and he shows that he can play in 2011 (although he was injured for most of 2012).  

A one-year contract will motivate him to put up big numbers as he seeks a bigger contract the following year (just like Beltre did in 2010 with the Red Sox).  

[/QUOTE]

Berkman is 97 years old...his agreement to accept a one year deal is because that is probably all he has left...I vote to stay away from having the key power bats in the line-up both being in their late 30's....Ortiz meeting that criteria is enough for me.

Alternatively, I'd offer Napoli 3 years and either Loney or Pena one year deals to backup Napoli and be late inning replacement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think M's will surprise us and sign Napoli.  

Berkman is too risky for even 1B/DH role.  We have to have backup plan if Ben were to sign him, other than Mauro Gomez/Loney platoon.  

3 rys of Ross would be too many personally.  We have young OFers in minors who will fight over 1 or 2 spots even without Ross.

Kyle Lohse was a good and ok pitcher for past 2 yrs.  but he's 33 now.  2 yr deal would be ideal for the Sox but he will have teams offering more.

I would offer Hamilton 5 yrs $125M contract.  I know he's too risky but he fits well in Fenway Park and is one of the elite offensive player.  If he doesn't take the offer, it's fine also.

J. Upton just costs too much for what he is IMO.