Bourn-Again Yankees???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Bourn-Again Yankees???

Okay, so my awesome augury and peerlesss prognostication regarding Josh Hamilton (namely that the Yankees would sign him) left a little to be desired in the Nostradamus category...So I am washing my hands clean on this one, and just MENTIONING that in Nick Cafardo's Globe column today he shares speculation that the Yanks are waiting for Bourn's price to drop before signing him.  A Bourn-again team a year or so before Rupert Marduke takes the helm...That would make sense....Fox Noise could do a regular April and late September feature called "War on the Yankees" based on their Billo "War on Christmas" news template....It could depict how the sacred Yankee tradition is under attack everywhere.  And, by jiminy crickets, even on the BDC forum!!!!

In any event, what do people think?? Would the addition of Bourn and his speed be a significant upgrade for the Yankee offense and defense? He was 13th in WAR (6.4 Fangraphs) among all qualified MLB position players in 2012 (with a 3.0 DWAR).  If they do sign him, how long would Granderson stay (would they trade him sooner than later for pitching and/or Morneau or some other catcher), or would they keep them both through 2012?  Is his signing comparative to a Josh H. signing or not in terms of overall impact?  Would Bourn make the weakened Yankees a playoff contender again (assuming they add a pitcher and upgrade their catching)....?

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/12/16/teams-score-best-free-agents/kFnsHLtcFizyjcRO0wnTbI/story.html

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Bourn-Again Yankees???

I didn't understand much of what you wrote, but Bourn would not be a good addition for the NYY. Grandy is playing CF, and Gardner is also a very good CF.  Not sure why they need three CFs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Sorry about that Joe...I have a tendency to be overly wordy, intellectually pretentious and a bit obscure, to say the least.  In case you did not understand the reference to Rupert Marduke, he would be Rupert Murdoch, and News Corp./Fox already owns half of the YES network...Many believe Murdoch will own the Yankees outright in a year or two...

What about Bourn's second-half swoon at the plate (B.A. .225)? Will that make the Yankee management pause on this one??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

More feedback from bleacherreport.com on a possible Bourn signing....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1446827-report-new-york-yankees-quietly-interested-in-michael-bourn

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

Sorry about that Joe...I have a tendency to be overly wordy, intellectually pretentious and a bit obscure, to say the least.  In case you did not understand the reference to Rupert Marduke, he would be Rupert Murdoch, and News Corp./Fox already owns half of the YES network...Many believe Murdoch will own the Yankees outright in a year or two...

What about Bourn's second-half swoon at the plate (B.A. .225)? Will that make the Yankee management pause on this one??

When using nicknames, you have to make sure the reader understands.  The first thing I thought was that Marduke was a single-A CF who was going to take over for Gardner or Bourn in 3-4 years.

It isn't the second half swoon that would concern me.  Bourn is a nice player.  But he's a clone of Gardner.  It is difficult to have two slap hitters out there at the same time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

More feedback from bleacherreport.com on a possible Bourn signing....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1446827-report-new-york-yankees-quietly-interested-in-michael-bourn

bleachereport is garbage

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Are we supposed to care if the Yankees sign Bourn .  Or about Green Party ?  Too many phonies on here. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

He’s one of the very defensive outfielders in the game and has a classic slap-hitting, leadoff man profile from the left side of the plate. The Yankees already have two of those guys in  Brett Gardner and  Ichiro Suzuki, so their supposed interest doesn’t make much sense. Add in the fact that he’s a Scott Boras client (no discount) and would require a draft pick to sign, this one doesn’t pass the sniff test.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:

He’s one of the very defensive outfielders in the game and has a classic slap-hitting, leadoff man profile from the left side of the plate. The Yankees already have two of those guys in  Brett Gardner and  Ichiro Suzuki, so their supposed interest doesn’t make much sense. Add in the fact that he’s a Scott Boras client (no discount) and would require a draft pick to sign, this one doesn’t pass the sniff test.

Well said, bald, including the Boras/draft pick dimension....For what it's worth, this report originally came from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, and not bleacher report, mvpyouk20....But what Joe and bald-predictions both say is fairly accurate about Bourn being a Gardner-style clone...So I take it no one sees this as a smart or even likely move???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I didn't understand much of what you wrote, but Bourn would not be a good addition for the NYY. Grandy is playing CF, and Gardner is also a very good CF.  Not sure why they need three CFs.

I would say they want him for RF

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:

Well said, bald, including the Boras/draft pick dimension....For what it's worth, this report originally came from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, and not bleacher report, mvpyouk20....But what Joe and bald-predictions both say is fairly accurate about Bourn being a Gardner-style clone...So I take it no one sees this as a smart or even likely move???

On the other hand with Bourn, Gardner, and Ichiro. You would only need two calls when the Yanks are in the field. "Easy flyball" or "It is high, it is far..."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees do not need another OF. 

Isn't Youkilis the youngest player on that team?  LOL

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Many believe Murdoch will own the Yankees in a year or two?

And where did you come up with that piece of information?

First I've heard of it and I follow the Yankees pretty close.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

It is still speculation, babe, and using the phrase "takes the helm" is just a bit of provocative hyperbole ...But you might need to "follow the Yankees" just a bit closer. Murdoch is looking to build a new international sports network, and the Yankees would be a nice piece to incorporate, even though he is probably able to do that now to a real extent since he owns half of the YES network.. . It remains speculation, but his son James Murdoch is on the board of Yankee Global Enterprises, and I doubt that Murdoch and company can ultimately resist the temptation to buy the Yankees outright....It's not a done deal, but they are already doing casting calls for the New York Foxes, the hot Yankee cheerleaders that Marduke plans to parade atop the Yankee dugout...Nah, just kidding about the cheerleader thang...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8652969/new-york-yankees-steinbrenners-say-yes-murdoch-takeover

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/11/21/yes-network-sale-to-news-corp-saves-murdoch-and-steinbrenner-a-fortune-in-fees/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Granderson  is the Yankee CF and they have Gardner in reserve also they have Ichiro in RF so where does Bourn fit in? Not in a NYY's uniform 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Not one poster so far thinks this is likely to happen....And no one besides Cafardo has said anything, so it might just be so much specious speculation at this point...But  if they did sign him, they would have one of the best outfield defenses in MLB, a real leadoff hitter, and a more legitimate speed dimension to the team than they have had in some time...I think it would improve  the 2013 Yankees a lot, and would give them more flexibility with Granderson, either by trading him now for pitching and or a catcher, or having a center fielder in place if they let him walk next year...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Edgarpost's comment:

Can anyone write a piece for Bleacher Report? Can any fool with an IQ of 60 get a column posted there?

pike

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

In response to Edgarpost's comment:

Can anyone write a piece for Bleacher Report? Can any fool with an IQ of 60 get a column posted there?

pike

Any thoughts about Bourn, enchiladaT...?  I'd be  curious to hear your opinion...Would you go after him if you were Ben C.?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

It is still speculation, babe, and using the phrase "takes the helm" is just a bit of provocative hyperbole ...But you might need to "follow the Yankees" just a bit closer. Murdoch is looking to build a new international sports network, and the Yankees would be a nice piece to incorporate, even though he is probably able to do that now to a real extent since he owns half of the YES network.. . It remains speculation, but his son James Murdoch is on the board of Yankee Global Enterprises, and I doubt that Murdoch and company can ultimately resist the temptation to buy the Yankees outright....It's not a done deal, but they are already doing casting calls for the New York Foxes, the hot Yankee cheerleaders that Marduke plans to parade atop the Yankee dugout...Nah, just kidding about the cheerleader thang...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8652969/new-york-yankees-steinbrenners-say-yes-murdoch-takeover

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/11/21/yes-network-sale-to-news-corp-saves-murdoch-and-steinbrenner-a-fortune-in-fees/

I'm not babe.

Murdoch is about media.

YES Network and the NY Yankees 2 different animals.

And your theory is at this point a bunch of bs.

Speculation about as likely (to happen) as the Mayan apocalypse Dec 21.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Green our team is all filled up until 2015.... saldy. We could not sign Bourn even if it made sense. Plus isn't he under 31? That is an automatic nay for Ben.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[/QUOTE]t 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not babe.

Murdoch is about media.

[/QUOTE]

You need to get out more, TWM, or try reading and doing a little research in your spare time....Rupert Murdoch and News Corp./News Limited are the dominant owners of Australia's National Rugby League, the premiere rugby league Down Under. Last time I looked, rugby leagues are still made up of sports teams...No one said Murdoch's purchase of the Yankees is a foregone conclusion...Even if he does not buy the team outright in a few years, his influence will be enormous..."Mr. I Follow the Yankees Closely" obviously had no clue ("first I've heard of it") about Murdoch's involvement with the team or YES, and so now you're getting grumpy and annoyed about the entire matter...O well, at least you have heard about that Mayan apocalypse thang, so you must do SOME reading....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Not one poster so far thinks this is likely to happen....And no one besides Cafardo has said anything, so it might just be so much specious speculation at this point...But  if they did sign him, they would have one of the best outfield defenses in MLB, a real leadoff hitter, and a more legitimate speed dimension to the team than they have had in some time...I think it would improve  the 2013 Yankees a lot, and would give them more flexibility with Granderson, either by trading him now for pitching and or a catcher, or having a center fielder in place if they let him walk next year...

Specious speculation from Nick Cafardo? I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya. Next thing you'll be telling me is that baseball players don't like talking to Dan Shaugnessy...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I'm not babe.

Murdoch is about media.

You need to get out more, TWM, or try reading and doing a little research in your spare time....Rupert Murdoch and News Corp./News Limited are the dominant owners of Australia's National Rugby League, the premiere rugby league Down Under. Last time I looked, rugby leagues are still made up of sports teams...No one said Murdoch's purchase of the Yankees is a foregone conclusion...Even if he does not buy the team outright in a few years, his influence will be enormous..."Mr. I Follow the Yankees Closely" obviously had no clue ("first I've heard of it") about Murdoch's involvement with the team or YES, and so now you're getting grumpy and annoyed about the entire matter...O well, at least you have heard about that Mayan apocalypse thang, so you must do SOME reading....

So Murdoch has a rugby team which could validate your fantasy that he'll purchase the Yankees.

The truth is that he smells money in owning YES and has the means and foot hold in the media markets to expand it. End of story.

I've followed the Yankees since the mid 1950s, it's been speculated the Steinbrenners would sell ever since GS passed but whenever questioned the family denies they will ever part with the team.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Clearly, though you just learned about it after my post, TWM, you are suddenly the "end of story" expert on the entire matter, notwithstanding the fact that a number of pundits think it is a distinct possibility he could actually do it in a few years. Talk about  being full of it and full of oneself.  And by the way, Murdoch owning the Yankees is not a "fantasy" of mine, but a nightmare in my book, in case you haven't figured out my politics at this late date.  Try being less obnoxious and dismissive of what others have to say, and spend a little more time reading, as I mentioned above.  Then you would not have to try so hard to sound smart ("end of story" says the lately arrived expert)...You might actually increase that limited knowledge base of yours...

• Sections
    Shortcuts