Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant

I'd really like to see these guys get a shot in the majors this season. They have very little trade value, are no longer looked at as big time prospects and I believe they are out of minor league options. I think Bowden could make for an effective low cost middle reliever and would like to see Doubrant in the 5th starter spot. If they aren't cutting it after couple months in you can always DFA them and bring up an Aaron Cook, Padilla, ect..
    As far as Lars Anderson, with Agon at 1B for the forseeable future, I wonder if the Sox ever considered Anderson at a corner outfield position or even give him a try at 3B. Try it in spring training... what's the risk?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant

In Response to Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant:
    [QUOTE]I'd really like to see these guys get a shot in the majors this season. They have very little trade value, are no longer looked at as big time prospects and I believe they are out of minor league options. I think Bowden could make for an effective low cost middle reliever and would like to see Doubrant in the 5th starter spot. If they aren't cutting it after couple months in you can always DFA them and bring up an Aaron Cook, Padilla, ect.. As far as Lars Anderson, with Agon at 1B for the forseeable future, I wonder if the Sox ever considered Anderson at a corner outfield position or even give him a try at 3B. Try it in spring training... what's the risk?
    Posted by tripleb2066[/QUOTE]
    Lars Anderson would be an exceedingly rare* lefthand-throwing thirdbaseman:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/anderla03.shtml

* the lefthand-throwing Don Mattingly made three career appearances at thirdbase (and one at secondbase): http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mattido01.shtml

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I think Bowden and Dobrant have a chance to make the team, Anderson has no chance IMHO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bowden and Doubront are out of options...so it is make the team or bye-bye time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I think Doubrant was a bigger reason for the Sox collapse last year than most of the players who are being fingered. When Dice went down we could have really used a healthy Doubrant but he came to spring training out of shape and ended up on the DL to start the season. I hope he is in shape and ready to pitch this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant:
    [QUOTE]I think Doubrant was a bigger reason for the Sox collapse last year than most of the players who are being fingered. When Dice went down we could have really used a healthy Doubrant but he came to spring training out of shape and ended up on the DL to start the season. I hope he is in shape and ready to pitch this year.
    Posted by kannaman[/QUOTE]

Doubront was the ringleader.

"Beckett is Geo's crack"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There is no reason for Lars Anderson to ever play 1B again as long as he is in the Sox organization...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]There is no reason for Lars Anderson to ever play 1B again as long as he is in the Sox organization...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Who else would play 1B in Pawtucket?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant : Who else would play 1B in Pawtucket?  
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Reynaldo Rodriguez?
    Maybe a little by Lava?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant : Who else would play 1B in Pawtucket?  
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    They will probably have to rotate some of those pitchers they have signed to minor league contracts, there is a bunch of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why these people think moving people to 3B is going to work.  Heck no way that Larvanway or Anderson can play 3B.  

Stop that!! 

Anderson should be the one to be traded to Cleveland instead Matterson.  Theo made a mistake right there!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Why these people think moving people to 3B is going to work.  Heck no way that Larvanway or Anderson can play 3B.   Stop that!!  Anderson should be the one to be traded to Cleveland instead Matterson.  Theo made a mistake right there!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps the Cleveland Indians did not want a firstbaseman who hit .233 with a .673 OPS at Double A that year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=anders002lar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]I think Bowden and Dobrant have a chance to make the team, Anderson has no chance IMHO.
    Posted by kannaman[/QUOTE]

Lars Anderson has no future with the Sox.   A-Gon is blocking his way for years to come.
    Bowden [might] be a bullpen piece but nothing else.
    Doubrant is lefthanded which helps his case.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Bowden looked a lot better last year as a reliever than he did as a starter.  He should be able to stick.

Anderson should be traded.  It isn't that his value is high right now but it sure isn't going to get any higher.  Get for him what you can.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Ok, maybe 3B isn't realistic for Lars, but couldn't he play LF or RF? Didn't Millar, Dabauch, McCarty and other slow part time 1B play there?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lars used to be one of our top prospects. 

I don't think anyone really thinks he will amount to much anymore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Is Tim Wastefield out of options? Is it "bye-bye" time..................

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]Is Tim Wastefield out of options? Is it "bye-bye" time..................
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

wrong topic as usual.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Who cares?

Promote Reynaldo Rodriguez.  Sign Ross Gload.  Does it matter?

I still like Anderson as a hitter as being better than Middlebrooks, despite their prospect statusses being polar opposites.  But Anderson will never play 1B in Boston.

Either move him to the OF or move him for an OF. He might actually work out ina deal for another team's former top prospect. (Oakland's Michael Taylor? Cleveland's Nick Weglarz?  Milwaukee's Carlos Gomez?  Cleveland's Aaron Cunningham?  Seattle's Michael Saunders?)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade all 3 for one half-way decent pitcher, and save a lot of headaches for Bobby V.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Doubrount with his nagging injuries behind him was might blossom. He should be kept until we take a good look at him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant : Perhaps the Cleveland Indians did not want a firstbaseman who hit .233 with a .673 OPS at Double A that year: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=anders002lar
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

That's not exactly a fair analysis. Anderson was coming off a season where he combined to hit .317/.417/.517 at high-A ball (77 games) and AA (41 games), all at age 20. That was enough to move him from Baseball America's 40th overall prospect in baseball to 17th. I don't know what Anderson's stats were as of the trade deadline, but remember that it was a deadline deal, so it's not like he was being judged on a full season of .673 OPS ball.

I also remember at the time that he had started slowly, and this surprised few people considering that he was a 21 year old in AA ball whose power was "only starting to blossom". His star was very bright, and I think at the time Theo had him pegged as the future starter at 1B for the Red Sox...but unfortunately, his power still hasn't really blossomed. Hindsight is 20/20.

Keep in mind that, while Anderson is still a post-hype prospect, he isn't exactly worthless (though there's no room for him in Boston). After his terrible 2009 he raked over 17 games in AA to start the year, moved up to AAA, and have very reasonable production in AAA as a 22 year old. He actually improved a bit last year, and the biggest problem is that, even still, that 25-30 home run power has shown up.

As an interesting parallel, Adrian Gonzalez had fairly similar numbers at age 22 in AAA, with the biggest difference coming from Gonzalez playing in the hitter-stat-boosting Pacific Coast League. Gonzalez finally broke through power-wise at 23 the following year in 2005, struggled over a partial season that same year once he was called up to the majors, and then truly began fulfilling his potential once dealt that offseason to SD. I'm not saying the same will happen to Anderson (Gonzalez was always considered to have more power potential), and the scouts have soured on him as well, but that doesn't mean he's doomed to mediocrity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bowden, Anderson, Doubrant : That's not exactly a fair analysis. Anderson was coming off a season where he combined to hit .317/.417/.517 at high-A ball (77 games) and AA (41 games), all at age 20. That was enough to move him from Baseball America's 40th overall prospect in baseball to 17th. I don't know what Anderson's stats were as of the trade deadline, but remember that it was a deadline deal, so it's not like he was being judged on a full season of .673 OPS ball. I also remember at the time that he had started slowly, and this surprised few people considering that he was a 21 year old in AA ball whose power was "only starting to blossom". His star was very bright, and I think at the time Theo had him pegged as the future starter at 1B for the Red Sox...but unfortunately, his power still hasn't really blossomed. Hindsight is 20/20. Keep in mind that, while Anderson is still a post-hype prospect, he isn't exactly worthless (though there's no room for him in Boston). After his terrible 2009 he raked over 17 games in AA to start the year, moved up to AAA, and have very reasonable production in AAA as a 22 year old. He actually improved a bit last year, and the biggest problem is that, even still, that 25-30 home run power has shown up. As an interesting parallel, Adrian Gonzalez had fairly similar numbers at age 22 in AAA, with the biggest difference coming from Gonzalez playing in the hitter-stat-boosting Pacific Coast League. Gonzalez finally broke through power-wise at 23 the following year in 2005, struggled over a partial season that same year once he was called up to the majors, and then truly began fulfilling his potential once dealt that offseason to SD. I'm not saying the same will happen to Anderson (Gonzalez was always considered to have more power potential), and the scouts have soured on him as well, but that doesn't mean he's doomed to mediocrity.
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]
    Although the chances of Lars Anderson becoming an MLB contributor have dropped, I have not given up on him.

Derek Lowe was Baseball America's 70th-ranked prospect in 1993 and 63rd-ranked prospect in 1994 before falling off the prospect lists and Jason Varitek was BA's 51st-ranked prospect in 1996 but was not ranked in 1997.

Each retained prospect status in July 1997 when the Seattle Mariners traded Lowe and Varitek to the Red Sox for Heathcliff Slocumb.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even if Lars becomes ML worthy, he is blocked here unless AGon gets hurt. I think trading him and Bowden makes the most sense.

Sections
Shortcuts