BP ranks Red Sox farm system fourth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

BP ranks Red Sox farm fourth

Baseball Prospectus ranked the Boston Red Sox fourth in its annual organizational rankings:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22906

A quote: "Impact talent at premium up-the-middle positions and major-leaguer caliber arms in the upper-minors."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: BP ranks Red Sox farm system fourth

wow!!..Cards, Rangers, Pods and M's all tumble out of the Top 5

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not a huge surprise, most of those teams graduated some top prospects. 

When Boston losses Bogaerts and Bradely this year it could hurt them, maybe not that much because we have a lot of depth in the lower minors.  But if we graduate a few more guys like Barnes, Webster and Ranaudo then we are bound to take a couple steps back.

I envision we have a top 15 next year as well, if a lot of our lower depth talent pans out we will still be a top 10 maybe even not fall that many spots at all.  It could happen but if a lot goes wrong we could drop below 15.  I doubt it though.

I like to look at teams top 25 and under lists.  I think you can get a good gauge of a teams future by looking not just at their farm system but the cost controlled talent on their team. 

St. Louis and Texas really impress me, they graduated some high ranked prospects and they are still top 10 systems.

LAA just look horrible, with the exception of Trout they've had very little luck developing talent recently.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

It's pretty awesome being the reigning world series champion and having a top 5 Farm.

Well done red sox, well done.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Impact talent at premium up-the-middle positions and major-leaguer caliber arms in the upper-minors."

Kinda what you hope for, isn't it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

These are the good old days!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our top 10 are right up there with the best in baseball:

1) Bogaerts

2) Bradley

3) Cecchini

4) Barnes

5) Owens

6) Swihart

7) Webster

8) Betts

9) Vazquez

10) T Ball

Other young players not considered "prospects" anymore:

25: Doubront, Lavarnway, Holt

24: de la Rosa, Middlebrooks

We may lose a few prospects as they graduate to nonprospect status this year (Bogey, Bradley, Workman, Britton, and maybe Barnes or Ranaudo.

I still think we may be rated highly next year as well. We are pretty deep top-middle and bottom:

Other advanced Prospects:

29: S Wright

28: Hinojosa

27: Butler, Wilson

25: Brentz, Hassan

24: Workman, Britton, Ranaudo

23: Vazquez, Marrero

22: Coyle

Other younger or farther-away prospects:

24: Noe Ramirez

23: B Johnson, T Shaw

22: Mercedes, de la Cruz

21: L Diaz, M Smith, Littrell, H Ramos

20: Stankiewicz, Buttrey, Kukuk, S Gomez, Lin

19: Margot, Callahan, Denney, McGrath

18: W Rijo, Longhi

17: Devers

I really like the chances of some of these guys rising to the top 100 in 2015:

Margot, Stankiewicz, Rijo, Devers, and Denney

Our near and far futures look bright!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

LAA just look horrible, with the exception of Trout they've had very little luck developing talent recently.

Not so.  They also developed AS's in Segura and Corbin, but did so for other teams.  They also developed Napoli, but used him to steal Wells away from TO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Can you imagine in a Deep Draft this year, we really rip it. Could be years upon years of good talent coming up. While teams will have to spend to keep up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not so.  They also developed AS's in Segura and Corbin, but did so for other teams.  They also developed Napoli, but used him to steal Wells away from TO.

[/QUOTE]

Something is amiss is Anahiem? I wonder how much input Mike Soccia has on the roster. Seems like they've lost thier way trying to win the LA market v games. Spending on marque players like Puljos and Hamilton and allowing guys like Greinke to sign with the Dodgers. 

In terms of their current farm, they've had moderate success developing talant, they've also had their share of can't miss guys, miss too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Impact talent at premium up-the-middle positions and major-leaguer caliber arms in the upper-minors."

Kinda what you hope for, isn't it?

[/QUOTE]

To be pedantic, what you should go for.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Had him stolen for Wells is much more like it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess that depends on how you define "recently"

but the last couple years their farm has stunk

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

1) Bogaerts

2) Bradley

3) Cecchini

4) Barnes

5) Owens

6) Swihart

7) Webster

8) Betts

9) Vazquez

10) T Ball

We may lose a few prospects as they graduate to nonprospect status this year (Bogey, Bradley, Workman, Britton, and maybe Barnes or Ranaudo.

I still think we may be rated highly next year as well. We are pretty deep top-middle and bottom:

[/QUOTE]

While we will graduate a couple top prospects this yr in Bradley / Boegarts. To stay a top franchise and compete yr in and yr out. This is what you must do bring in 1-2 players every year. We got away from that a little bit after 07 [RS fans were spoiled and no one wanted to listen to Theo talk bridge yrs] trying to feed the monster/TV ratings by trading top prospects. But under Ben RS have gotten back to promoting from within wherever possible, and not afraid to say no to overpaying [Ells]. Even w/ graduation of a couple of top players, possibly more this yr there are still a number of players you could see making big jumps this yr even possibly keeping RS system rated in top 5. Players like Ball / Swihart / Denney / Margot / Buttrey / Devers /Mercedes are all guys who could make big jumps next yr while hopefully guys like Cecchini / Owens / Barnes / Raunado just continue their rise w/ no setbacks. While guys like Workman / Britton played huge roles for RS in 2nd half last yr barely even get mentioned. RS farm system is in a great state and looks like it has the ablity to withstand some graduations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not a huge surprise, most of those teams graduated some top prospects. 

When Boston losses Bogaerts and Bradely this year it could hurt them, maybe not that much because we have a lot of depth in the lower minors.  But if we graduate a few more guys like Barnes, Webster and Ranaudo then we are bound to take a couple steps back.

I envision we have a top 15 next year as well, if a lot of our lower depth talent pans out we will still be a top 10 maybe even not fall that many spots at all.  It could happen but if a lot goes wrong we could drop below 15.  I doubt it though.

I like to look at teams top 25 and under lists.  I think you can get a good gauge of a teams future by looking not just at their farm system but the cost controlled talent on their team. 

St. Louis and Texas really impress me, they graduated some high ranked prospects and they are still top 10 systems.

[/QUOTE] agree

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1) Bogaerts

2) Bradley

3) Cecchini

4) Barnes

5) Owens

6) Swihart

7) Webster

8) Betts

9) Vazquez

10) T Ball

[/QUOTE]

While we will graduate a couple top prospects this yr in Bradley / Boegarts. To stay a top franchise and compete yr in and yr out. This is what you must do bring in 1-2 players every year. We got away from that a little bit after 07 [RS fans were spoiled and no one wanted to listen to Theo talk bridge yrs] trying to feed the monster/TV ratings by trading top prospects. But under Ben RS have gotten back to promoting from within wherever possible, and not afraid to say no to overpaying [Ells]. Even w/ graduation of a couple of top players, possibly more this yr there are still a number of players you could see making big jumps this yr even possibly keeping RS system rated in top 5. Players like Ball / Swihart / Denney / Margot / Buttrey / Devers /Mercedes are all guys who could make big jumps next yr while hopefully guys like Cecchini / Owens / Barnes / Raunado just continue their rise w/ no setbacks. While guys like Workman / Britton played huge roles for RS in 2nd half last yr barely even get mentioned. RS farm system is in a great state and looks like it has the ablity to withstand some graduations.

[/QUOTE]

I do look for a few of our younger prospects to make it to the top 100 next year- maybe not to the slots of Bogey abd Bradley, but maybe we lose 2-3 players to graduation, but gain 3-4 in the lower half of the top 100.

I also feel like we would show well in the 101-200 top prospect list, and I wonder why nobody puts out a top 250 list (or am I missing it?)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Prospects who can move into the top 100 next year in my opinion:

Trey Ball

Manuel Margot

Wendell Rijo

Raphael Devers.

There are others who could crack the top 100 as well, but none have national recognition and are too far away that I don't really think they cut it.

For example I can see someone like Daniel Mcgrath or Jaime Callahan having good year, but they are so far away they would have to have an insane crazy year and move up a level and put up even better numbers.

This happens with some guys though (Mookie Betts) but in the absence of being a pro scout and watching all these kids I think it's a pure guessing game. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"McGrath"?  "Callahan"?  What good has ever come out of Ireland?  ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

"McGrath"?  "Callahan"?  What good has ever come out of Ireland?  ;-)

[/QUOTE]

What about Tracy Meek- gray- deeeeee?

Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Trey Ball

Manuel Margot

Wendell Rijo

Raphael Devers.

There are others who could crack the top 100 as well, but none have national recognition and are too far away that I don't really think they cut it.

For example I can see someone like Daniel Mcgrath or Jaime Callahan having good year, but they are so far away they would have to have an insane crazy year and move up a level and put up even better numbers.

This happens with some guys though (Mookie Betts) but in the absence of being a pro scout and watching all these kids I think it's a pure guessing game. 

[/QUOTE]

What about Margot, Stankiewicz, Rijo, Luiz Diaz, Mercedes, Denney, Devers, Johnson, and maybe some older prospects creeping into the top 100 like Ranaudo, Vazquez, Brentz, or Marrero?

I'm sure many of these won't, but I think there's a good chance 2-3 do.

I like Rijo, Diaz, and Margot the most.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Trey Ball

Manuel Margot

Wendell Rijo

Raphael Devers.

[/QUOTE]

What about Margot, Stankiewicz, Rijo, Luiz Diaz, Mercedes, Denney, Devers, Johnson, and maybe some older prospects creeping into the top 100 like Ranaudo, Vazquez, Brentz, or Marrero?

[/QUOTE]

I already said Margot...Rijo possibly...but Diaz I doubt it.  He's a very good prospect but he doesn't crack most teams top ten.

Most people don't live outside of red sox prospect world.  yes our system is strong but I think most people underestimate how strong our top ten is.  Do we have one of the strongest top ten in all of baseball???? yes we do, but it's that coupled with our depth that makes our system so so strong.

Diaz is not that guy,  Denney is too far away and a lot of scouts are all of  a sudden pretty low on him (except Marc Hulet)  Although he had the draft pedigree to draw some attention if he has a big 2013.

Stank, Rijo, and Denney can MAYBE make the list but likely after Margot, Devers and Ball. 

I would bet my life that Brentz never cracks a top 100....he might not be anything more than a 4th outfielder on a second division team at this point. 

Ranuado is another one I doubt will make the list because if he has a good enough year to bring his status back up, he would have likely made his way up to the MLB level.  But everyone uses different service time so he might make some lists, I think BA has a short leash though. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If vasquez has a good year at the plate in Pawtucket I think he will sneak into BA's top 100, probably not that high but I can see him in the bottom 50.

I don't remember if it was Law, Parks, or Calis, but someone said that his defense was as good as Austin Hedges and the only reason most people don't have him ranked higher is because not many believe in his bat.

But I think the high ceiling guys who are the best bet to put themselves on the national radar are Ball, Devers, and Margot. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I do look for a few of our younger prospects to make it to the top 100 next year- maybe not to the slots of Bogey abd Bradley, but maybe we lose 2-3 players to graduation, but gain 3-4 in the lower half of the top 100.

I also feel like we would show well in the 101-200 top prospect list, and I wonder why nobody puts out a top 250 list (or am I missing it?)

They really need to do that.  200 prospects is still only 6.6 per team, and 250 is 8.3.  Maybe it makes the article too long, but they could divide it up to 50-75-125.

Gary mentioned, and I've always felt the same way-You need 1-2 players every year.  I always thought you need 1 regular and 1 bench/BP guy per year.  Assuming a 6-year life, that means you need 12 prospects of varying quality at any given time.

Theoretically, you need nothing short of a top-180 (30*6) list.

As a bonus, if the writers go to 200-250, I think you get a huge divergance of opinion.  Top-100 lists seem to cluster around the guys most likely to make the pros, but not necessarily the most likely to be standout players.  That's where the really good writers can start to deep-dive for Devers, Denny, Margot, Stankie, etc.

And as a second bonus, I think you'll get a lot more readers.  The same 80 players are on every top-100 list.  The fun is studying whether Devers is #125 or #175.  It's kind of like the difference between being in a 10-roto league or an 18-team roto league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com has released his composite prospect list:

http://minors.mlblogs.com/2014/02/26/2129253/

Nine Red Sox prospects are included on the composite list that goes 135 deep.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I already said Margot...Rijo possibly...but Diaz I doubt it.  He's a very good prospect but he doesn't crack most teams top ten.

Most people don't live outside of red sox prospect world.  yes our system is strong but I think most people underestimate how strong our top ten is.  Do we have one of the strongest top ten in all of baseball???? yes we do, but it's that coupled with our depth that makes our system so so strong.

Diaz is not that guy,  Denney is too far away and a lot of scouts are all of  a sudden pretty low on him (except Marc Hulet)  Although he had the draft pedigree to draw some attention if he has a big 2013.

It's pretty subjective, even in the top 100, but more so afterwards. Denney has been ranked very high by a couple reports.

Bell is ranked 117 on the report listed next page.

Stank, Rijo, and Denney can MAYBE make the list but likely after Margot, Devers and Ball. 

Ball is ranked pretty high by a few reports, and upside potential is hard to get a strong feeling for at their ages. nHe is 117 on BP.

I would bet my life that Brentz never cracks a top 100....he might not be anything more than a 4th outfielder on a second division team at this point. 

I* agree, but when you put all the small chances together, there's a good chance 2-3 crack the top 100 next year.

Ranuado is another one I doubt will make the list because if he has a good enough year to bring his status back up, he would have likely made his way up to the MLB level.  But everyone uses different service time so he might make some lists, I think BA has a short leash though. 

True.