Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester

Jon Lester had heard and read enough. In his estimation, it was time for a more proactive approach.

Asked in a phone interview if his team was being portrayed fairly since the stunning end of the 2011 season, Lester's response was immediate and direct.

"No," he said. "Not at all."

Thanks to a few phone calls from his Georgia home -- including one early Monday evening to WEEI.com -- the Red Sox pitcher did his best to address the issues that have surfaced since the Red Sox' historic September collapse was completed.

"The message I'm trying to get across today is our clubhouse, even this year, every year I've been in Boston, has cared, guys have wanted to win and guys busted their azz every day. That's what people need to understand," he said. "Regardless of the other rumors or nonsense. I feel like we're back in high school. So-and-so this or that about you. When it's all said and done we're going to go out there in 2012, we're going to bust our azzes, we're going to grind it out and we're going to play good baseball."

But while the day began with Lester defending himself and his teammates against assertions ranging from drinking beer, eating fried chicken and playing video games during games to a clubhouse that had become more dysfunctional than ever, it ended with the lefty also having to address the fallout from his first wave of comments, made earlier in the day.

One of the issues touched on by Lester that had gained a significant amount of steam as the day progressed was his statement regarding former Sox manager Terry Francona, and how players might have responded to his approach throughout what turned into a 7-20 September.

"That's another thing I'm getting crushed for," Lester said. "Apparently I buried Tito and didn't know it. Tito, for me was a great manager. He's a great person. I thanked him I don't know how many times for what he has done for me, not only as a baseball player, but as a fan. My family would call and say the same thing. With Tito all I said is he's not the type of manager who manages with an iron-fist, so when things happen he takes responsibility to handle it himself. He calls you in the office, he handles it, bam, it's over with.

"I said that in our clubhouse we were not held accountable for ourselves. Our teammates were not holding us accountable. When I say that I'm not saying about the beer-drinking because you can ask any person in baseball and they'll tell you it's going on. It happens. There are people who drink while they're playing. There are people who are drinking while they're pitching. That was not the case for us. We did it occasionally and it was not what these people say it was. As far as the accountability, I'm talking about the day-to-day activities with baseball activities. That's not Tito's job.

"Tito's job is to run the ship, make sure we're playing good baseball and keep us going. I think [the thing that] people are questioning is that I said he didn't manage with an iron-fist and we took advantage of those rules, and not having rules. That's not the case. I think we took advantage of each other and what we could get away with as far as not being accountable for our actions on the baseball field. Not the beer-drinking. Not that stuff. I'm talking about baseball activities."

Then there was a report citing two anonymous sources that Lester was understating the prevalence of the beer-drinking, fried-chicken-eating and video-game-playing in the clubhouse during games.

"Who did it come from? An anonymous source? Exactly," he said. "I hate anonymous sources because if you can't call me or come to me face-to-face as a man and tell me I'm doing something wrong, you mean nothing to me. I don't have time for that. I don't know where these people are coming from. I don't know what their problem is with is. But that's not the case."

In his conversation with WEEI.com, Lester answered all the questions posed regarding the accusations thrown the way of both his team and his rotation-mates. Many of the answers were similar to the messages relayed throughout Monday, while others (such as his take on the importance of John Farrell's approach) offered new insight.

At the end of the day, however, the All-Star starter's intent, from first word to last, wasn't hard to distinguish.

"Everything is embellished. Everything is added. Everything is made out to look bad," Lester said. "I know people are looking for reasons why we lost. Like I said a hundred times, baseball is one of those funny sports where you can't point to one thing. As a collective unit, we stunk. I'll be the first to tell you as a starting pitcher I stunk in September. I was not good. And it had nothing to do with having the occasional beer. That has nothing to do with it.

"If I was a fan I would want answers too. But that's not the answer."

Regarding the Boston Globe story investigating the Red Sox' collapse:

"It would be different if the story that came out originally about us actually told the truth. I don't think this would be an issue. They have to embellish a lot and basically make us to look like we're the devils, the people that ruined the team. I think that's unfair. It's one of the reasons why I needed to call today. I need people to understand that we're not drinking 12-packs every game. We're not sitting up there getting hammered. It's the occasional ninth-inning rally beer. It's the occasional situation where we're sitting up there, watching the game, having a beer. That's it.

"There's no video games. The fried chicken thing, like I've told everybody else, there was three times this year out of six months we had fried chicken. It's not like we're ordering a bucket of fried chicken and eating it ourselves. We're having a piece."

Regarding the degree of accuracy in the report's depiction of video game-playing during games:

"None. When this thing first came out, my wife was reading it and she starts laughing. I said, 'What's so funny?' She said, 'You don't even play video games.' I don't think I've played a video game since I was 12. I don't play video games and I don't like video games. Josh [Beckett] and [John Lackey], they're not the video game type either. I've never seen video games played during the game, ever. Now, there are video games being played during batting practice, but not during games."

If the presence of former pitching coach John Farrell would have altered the outcome:

"No. I think as far as the pitching staff, we were more structured under John Farrell and that's because that's John's personality. He was a field coordinator in Cleveland, he was a front office guy, he was the whole deal, so he had to have structure. We always had a plan of what our day was going to be. [Current pitching coach] Curt [Young] was a little more relaxed. He was like Tito. On Sunday day games, we would have our own stretch. It's good and bad, on both ends."

On the attention given to the pitchers' clubhouse practices:

"It all comes back to eating fried chicken and drinking beer. It hasn't happened just this year. And it doesn't happen in just our clubhouse. It's just so happens we're in a media market where people like to be anonymous sources, get a hold of this stuff and run with it and now we're being blamed for losing in September."

Regarding the notion that other teams' drinking practices are worse than the Red Sox:

"Absolutely. I'm sure there's worse and I'm sure there's better. I'm sure there are teams with managers who don't allow them to go up to the clubhouse. Like I read an article the other day with Jack McKeon where they -- not Jack -- tried to bury Josh in that whole deal, where he had to lock the clubhouse. Well, you have to look at the dynamic at that team. The dynamic of that team is a bunch of young guys. They didn't police themselves. They didn't know any better. I understand that. But for us you don't need to do that. And there's probably other teams that take advantage of it even more than we did. If this happened in a Minnesota it doesn't make ESPN. David it said the other day, in '04 they took shots before Game 7 of the ALCS. If they lose that game they're all 'Idiots' in a bad way, if they win the game they're 'Idiots' in a good way."

On the criticism of Josh Beckett:

"I think he was the same guy for all six months. What people don't understand is Josh is getting crushed for reasons I'm still trying to figure out. Where people are getting this information, saying he's a problem in our clubhouse, I don't know where they're getting this information. Josh says what's on his mind when he wants to say and how he wants to say it. If you don't completely know him and understand him, you could take that the wrong way if you overhear it. So I could see where whomever is ratting on him as an anonymous source could say that. But he says something to me or Lack and we'll just say, 'Shut up, Josh, get over it.' Or, 'Move on, dude.' You call his bluff and you move on and it's no big deal. That was the case. Everybody, it doesn't matter who you are, goes through September blues. August was a tough month on us. We played 15 out of 17 on the road and it was tough. We get to September, we have a nine-game lead and we're just like, 'Just get us to the playoffs,' and the [expletive] started hitting the fan. We [expletive] ourselves and we didn't play good baseball."

Regarding whether or not there was enough clubhouse leadership:

"We had team meetings. We had closed-door team meetings where it was just the team. We had the whole deal. We had individuals talking to individuals. When it came down to it. That stuff doesn't matter unless you perform. You have a team meeting and you win 10 in a row and you go out and win the World Series, you say you should do that every year. But if you have a team meeting and you go 7-20, you wonder what was said in the team meeting. Did somebody pizz somebody off and did they shut down? Now those questions come into play. It doesn't matter. The team meetings work sometimes and there are some teams that respond to that, there are other teams that don't. That's the way it goes. I remember in '07 we didn't have a team meeting that year until we were in Cleveland down 3-1 [in the ALCS]. And it worked. We had plenty of them this year and it didn't work. It all comes down to performing on the field. It depends on the team, it depends on the players and it depends on the personalities. For us, it didn't work."

On his perspective heading into the 2012 season:

"I'm looking forward to playing baseball. I'm not looking forward to coming back and having to deal with all of this. Little things here get blown out of proportion that shouldn't be an issue. I'm looking forward to baseball because I think next year is going to be a good year for a lot of reasons. I think you're going to see a lot of people step up and do the right thing."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester

This should answer many questions that were raised by the irresponsible and unprofessional columnists and talk radio jerks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Pike...do you wonder why he is speaking out now? Could it be for self-preservation? Ten days ago you said all these stories of chicken and beer were just rumours...now they're not? Why would you take the word of a person known to be involved in this at face value? Why is thie more news-worthy or credible than someone who is not involved directly? That's like saying I interviewed John Gotti and all these rumours of his organized crime leadership should be put to rest...speaking of rest - you should give it - your littering this forum with useless articles and links trying to minimize this idiocy is like trying to put chit back into the horse...it's over....apparently you're the only one still believing our fatazz pitchers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester:
    [QUOTE]This should answer many questions that were raised by the irresponsible and unprofessional columnists and talk radio jerks.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

You're funny.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Despite presumably good intentions, Jon Lester isn't helping matters with his remarks. Lester, his agent and the Red Sox PR department should get together before Lester goes running to the media.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

[QUOTE]Despite presumably good intentions, Jon Lester isn't helping matters with his remarks. Lester, his agent and the Red Sox PR department should get together before Lester goes running to the media.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that numerous outlets are now reporting that he's lying through his teeth. This is getting worse by the hour. Lester should go into hiding until after the holidays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Pike...do you wonder why he is speaking out now? Could it be for self-preservation? Ten days ago you said all these stories of chicken and beer were just rumours...now they're not? Why would you take the word of a person known to be involved in this at face value? Why is thie more news-worthy or credible than someone who is not involved directly? That's like saying I interviewed John Gotti and all these rumours of his organized crime leadership should be put to rest...speaking of rest - you should give it - your littering this forum with useless articles and links trying to minimize this idiocy is like trying to put chit back into the horse...it's over....apparently you're the only one still believing our fatazz pitchers.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

"Who did it come from? An anonymous source? Exactly," he said. "I hate anonymous sources because if you can't call me or come to me face-to-face as a man and tell me I'm doing something wrong, you mean nothing to me. I don't have time for that. I don't know where these people are coming from. I don't know what their problem is with is. But that's not the case."

A response from a player being accused is much more credible than an anonymous source. Have you ever been on jury duty. Hearsay is inadmissible. The Hohler article was all hearsay. It sells but is not credible. You are a teacher, aren't you? Hopefully you don't teach logic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : "Who did it come from? An anonymous source? Exactly," he said. "I hate anonymous sources because if you can't call me or come to me face-to-face as a man and tell me I'm doing something wrong, you mean nothing to me. I don't have time for that. I don't know where these people are coming from. I don't know what their problem is with is. But that's not the case." A response from a player being accused is much more credible than an anonymous source. Have you ever been on jury duty. Hearsay is inadmissible. The Hohler article was all hearsay. It sells but is not credible. You are a teacher, aren't you? Hopefully you don't teach logic.

Here's hoping you don't teach anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Pike...do you wonder why he is speaking out now? Could it be for self-preservation? Ten days ago you said all these stories of chicken and beer were just rumours...now they're not? Why would you take the word of a person known to be involved in this at face value? Why is thie more news-worthy or credible than someone who is not involved directly? That's like saying I interviewed John Gotti and all these rumours of his organized crime leadership should be put to rest...speaking of rest - you should give it - your littering this forum with useless articles and links trying to minimize this idiocy is like trying to put chit back into the horse...it's over....apparently you're the only one still believing our fatazz pitchers.

What is the sin about eating chicken during a game. Isn't there a buffet table set up all day long in the clubhouse. Where was the Hohler article when El Guapo consumed half of the buffet spread by himself? According to Kevin Millar didn't the whole team including position players have shots of Jack Daniels before game #4 of the 2004 ALCS? Did you complain about that in this forum at the time?If Lester, Beckett, and Lackey had a Bud Light in the clubhouse or in the dugout on a non-pitching day, what is the big deal?

What I agree with is that the three players gave off the perception to others that they didn't care by not being in the dugout for every minute for every game but what happens on other teams? Do other teams have 25 players in the dugout all of the time? What has happened here is that the media can't blame what happened on the performances on the field since that would not increase profits, so they had to go on a witch hunt to rationalize and dummy down a complex phenomena into something that the general public could grasp and get excited about. The name of the game is ratings, circulation. Jyst ask Michael Felger and his shotgun parrot Mazz. The public would never get excited with the Pedroia, Gonzalez, and Lester explanations that the team just stunk during September. That wouldn't be any fun and who specifically would you be able to bash on a forum.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Despite presumably good intentions, Jon Lester isn't helping matters with his remarks. Lester, his agent and the Red Sox PR department should get together before Lester goes running to the media.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

LOLOL. The forum trolls have already said that John Henry was a liar and you think that someone from John Henry's PR Department would change the mind of the trolls. That is funny. Up until now you seemed to be a logical person. Instead you have assumed the role of another forum devil's advocate. Do you come here to trade reasoned opinions, logic. information or do you come here for entertainment. If it is the latter then shame on you. What does it look like next for your Mariners. Why did they fire that Latino manager. Our forum trolls will on your azz for that move.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester :  Have you ever been on jury duty. Hearsay is inadmissible. The Hohler article was all hearsay. It sells but is not credible. You are a teacher, aren't you? Hopefully you don't teach logic.
    Hearsay is an unsworn out-of-court statement offered to prove the truth of the matter asserted.

Quoted material attributed to Jon Lester is hearsay as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : LOLOL. The forum trolls have already said that John Henry was a liar and you think that someone from John Henry's PR Department would change the mind of the trolls. That is funny. Up until now you seemed to be a logical person. Instead you have assumed the role of another forum devil's advocate. Do you come here to trade reasoned opinions, logic. information or do you come here for entertainment. If it is the latter then shame on you. What does it look like next for your Mariners. Why did they fire that Latino manager. Our forum trolls will on your azz for that move.
    Did the Mariners fire a Latino manager?

Slow down and relax ... you seem to be confused.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : Did the Mariners fire a Latino manager? Slow down and relax ... you seem to be confused.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Are you saying Don Wakamatsu wasn't a Latino?
    JK

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : Hearsay is an unsworn out-of-court statement offered to prove the truth of the matter asserted. Quoted material attributed to Jon Lester is hearsay as well.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

lol Hill....I guess Pike is not only a lousy investigative journalist, but an incompetent lawyer...seriously who believes what any of these three stooges have to say??? the fact that they have ADMITTED to doing such a stupid and selfish thing seems to be lost on bootlickers and other cover up artists...has their argument now gone from: "that was a rumor and not true" to "that wasnt done all that much"???? some comfort..all three should traded..and i could care less what our record would be....my guess is no one wants these salamies for the money they make and the attitudes they carry....

oh yea - I guess the Florida manager was making stuff up too right Pike?? speaking of illogical

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : Are you saying Don Wakamatsu wasn't a Latino?
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    LOL

Don Wakamatsu was born to a Japanese-American father and an Irish-American mother.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : Did the Mariners fire a Latino manager? Slow down and relax ... you seem to be confused.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I meant to say "Person of Color". Anyone who is non-white is a person of color and that was the subject of a thread the other day here. A very big issue that the Seattle manager ( person of color) was unjustly fired. His record at the time was something like 42-70.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Too much smoke still coming out of the Sox clubhouse...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : lol Hill....I guess Pike is not only a lousy investigative journalist, but an incompetent lawyer...seriously who believes what any of these three stooges have to say??? the fact that they have ADMITTED to doing such a stupid and selfish thing seems to be lost on bootlickers and other cover up artists...has their argument now gone from: "that was a rumor and not true" to "that wasnt done all that much"???? some comfort..all three should traded..and i could care less what our record would be....my guess is no one wants these salamies for the money they make and the attitudes they carry.... oh yea - I guess the Florida manager was making stuff up too right Pike?? speaking of illogical

I didn't exactly say that it was 100 percent false but I did say that it was exaggerated and a mountain was made out of a mole hill.

On McKeon, if you had bothered to read the articles ( apparently you hve not) Lester detailed the makeup of that team being mostly rookies with no vetern players and no leaders therefore McKeon had to lock the clubhouse door. The whole team including Beckett was immature. Why can't you read this instead of me having to repeat it?

Hill seems to be enjoying ( being a Seattle fan) doing what Yazzer / Georom / Babe / MikeyintheBronx, Bosox1941, BaseballDr do here. Burrito will love seeing all of the trolls do their thing here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : I didn't exactly say that it was 100 percent false but I did say that it was exaggerated and a mountain was made out of a mole hill. On McKeon, if you had bothered to read the articles ( apparently you hve not) Lester detailed the makeup of that team being mostly rookies with no vetern players and no leaders therefore McKeon had to lock the clubhouse door. The whole team including Beckett was immature. Why can't you read this instead of me having to repeat it? Hill seems to be enjoying ( being a Seattle fan) doing what Yazzer / Georom / Babe / MikeyintheBronx, Bosox1941, BaseballDr do here. Burrito will love seeing all of the trolls do their thing here.
    Peace be with you, my friend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bradford ( WEEI ) Interview with Jon Lester : lol Hill....I guess Pike is not only a lousy investigative journalist, but an incompetent lawyer...seriously who believes what any of these three stooges have to say??? the fact that they have ADMITTED to doing such a stupid and selfish thing seems to be lost on bootlickers and other cover up artists...has their argument now gone from: "that was a rumor and not true" to "that wasnt done all that much"???? some comfort..all three should traded..and i could care less what our record would be....my guess is no one wants these salamies for the money they make and the attitudes they carry.... oh yea - I guess the Florida manager was making stuff up too right Pike?? speaking of illogical

Hahaha...that's what I don't get either. The guilty parties, themselves, have admitted to it. The owner has validated it, the team president has confirmed it---yet these rumpswab apologists still say "NO! It's all lies!!." 

Truth be told, it's because of these whackaloons constantly making excuses for these jerks that a lot of this has been enabled. It would be nice for once to see these poltroons set aside their idol-worship for a few minutes and come to the table of reality--just for a minute. They might actually learn something.

Sections
Shortcuts