Bradley struggles, Seizemore shines

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Bradley struggles, Seizemore shines

So Seizemire is having a noyworthy spring. Bradley not so much. If this continues and Seizemore shows he can play everyday, Bradley becomes an easy demotion.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Bradley struggles, Seizemore shines

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

So Seizemire is having a noyworthy spring. Bradley not so much. If this continues and Seizemore shows he can play everyday, Bradley becomes an easy demotion.

you can file that under things that will never happen.  JBJ will come around. someone was just saying the same thing about middy the other day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

Remy was saying that the plan is to play Sizemore for two days and then give him three days off. They are apparently being very careful in not over taxing him at the moment. Easy does it.  So far, so good. Nothing to conclude yet on whether Bradley or Sizemore wins the job.

remy started off with the theme that the job was still not assigned.  He quickly said that the job is JBJ's and Grady would fill in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Its EARLY yet !!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:

This is not surprising. I'd prefer Sizemore starting, but either way, the SOX are not even close to replacing Ellsbury; and this will be magnified during the regular season.

Replacing Ellsbury's offense won't be easy but the Sox took a smart risk on Sizemore who can certainly be very important if he stays healthy.  Grady won't be stealing many bases but JBJ isn't ready to handle the every day of pressure.  

Best case? Sizemore stays healthy and BJ matures enough to make enough difference with help from teammates. 

Worst case? Grady can't stay healthy, JBJ struggles and Victorino needs to play more CF while the Sox finally look to make a trade for a Braun type bat.

Either way our pitching and pen "again if healthy" should keep us in the race.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

STOP IT!!!

Please stop these spring training insanity threads.  Remember last year when everyone went go go ga ga over Bradely?  I was in here telling everyone that he wasn't ready and that ST stats are meaningless and to pump the brakes.

Now that works both ways.  Bradley made a lot of progress last year and even though the batting average doesn't show it you can tell he looks much better at the plate this year.  Stop coming to insane judgements based off of ONE freaking week of spring training.

Just think of it this way. BILL is the voice of reason in this thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

STOP IT!!!

Please stop these spring training insanity threads.  Remember last year when everyone went go go ga ga over Bradely?  I was in here telling everyone that he wasn't ready and that ST stats are meaningless and to pump the brakes.

Now that works both ways.  Bradley made a lot of progress last year and even though the batting average doesn't show it you can tell he looks much better at the plate this year.  Stop coming to insane judgements based off of ONE freaking week of spring training.

Just think of it this way. BILL is the voice of reason in this thread.

Yeh, I basically agree, but why is nobody talking about Corey Brown, who is clearly the Red Sox best hitter.  he absolutely has earned the starting spot, based on monster numbers in ST.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

prisoner of the moment award -we have a winner!!!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't know much about this seizmore character but Grady SIZEMORE has played in just 3 spring training games since he last played in 2011.  That's 3 years, and he hasn't played a full season in 6 years.

He's 31 and hasn't played a full season of baseball since he was 25.  So let's just pump the brakes...at least just tap them, just a little bit.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Its EARLY yet !!!

When Bill-806 becomes the voice of reason on a thread, it's time for others to take a good, hard look at themselves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Grady Sizemore at Center of Debate Healthy Sizemore battles Bradley for starting job 030714redsoxce008.jpg Photo by:  Christopher Evans SPRING FORWARD: Grady Sizemore is the early surprise of spring training and has a healthy chance to win the starting center fielder job before Opening Day beckons. 1 Sunday, March 9, 2014 Print Email Be the first to comment Photo Gallery By: Scott Lauber  

SARASOTA, Fla. — Don’t look now, but an honest-to-goodness competition is raging for a premium position on the Red Sox roster.

Grady Sizemore looks and (more importantly) feels better every day. Not only is he beginning to resemble a viable Opening Day center fielder and leadoff hitter, but when the Red Sox clocked him running from home to first in 4.2 seconds Friday, manager John Farrell could have sworn he was watching Sizemore circa 2008, when he ranked among the most dynamic players in the American League.

“When he was in his prime, or when he was right, he was 4.14,” said Farrell, the Indians’ farm director when Sizemore was coming up with Cleveland. “He’s not far off in terms of the running speed, pre-injury.”

By next week, Sizemore may play back-to-back games, the next step in his comeback bid. And if he’s able to do that regularly for the rest of the month, he will have passed the final test of whether the Sox can count on him as an everyday player, which was precisely what they hoped he would become when they took an incentive-filled, $750,000 flier on him in January.

But where would that leave Jackie Bradley Jr.?

There isn’t room on the roster for both Sizemore and Bradley, not with a job-sharing arrangement already in place in left field with Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava. Backup catcher David Ross, utility infielder Jonathan Herrera and super-sub Mike Carp round out the bench, each playing a defined role.

The Sox still view Bradley as their future center fielder, but if the job was his to lose when camp began, a shift may be taking place. To hear Farrell talk, it sounds increasingly like the decision will come down to Sizemore’s ability to stay on the field.

“Competition’s there,” Farrell said, “but we haven’t arrived at a conclusion with Grady yet. We still have to get answers to some questions that aren’t there yet. And then there’s still going to be that looming question of what’s the total number of games played.”

With 21 exhibition games left, the Sizemore-Bradley duel is only just beginning. At this point, though, one of two scenarios seems likely. Either Sizemore wins the job outright and Bradley heads back to Triple A to continue developing as a hitter, or Sizemore begins the season in extended spring training, buying more time for the Red Sox to determine whether his body can hold up under the rigors of an everyday role after seven surgeries in the past 41⁄2 years.

Regardless, Bradley insists he isn’t sweating it.

“I think you have to look at it individually,” he said after going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts yesterday in a 7-3 loss to the Orioles. “Competition’s competition. That’s what we do. We all compete. That’s what drives us. With that aspect, you do the best you can and let everything else take care of itself.”

Bradley took the same approach last year when he was the flavor of spring training. He piled up so many hits, including a homer against Philadelphia Phillies ace Cliff Lee, that he forced his way on to the Opening Day roster despite having never played a game above Double A.

Turns out, Bradley’s spring was a mirage. He wasn’t ready to hit major league pitching, and it showed when he started 3-for-31 with 12 strikeouts and got sent to Triple A by mid-April. He batted .189 in 95 at-bats overall over four call-ups.

It doesn’t mean much, then, that Bradley is 3-for-17 with five strikeouts thus far this spring.

“I guess you can’t really strictly focus too much on results, because look at last year,” Bradley said. “I mean, that’s a prime example. I look at it as more of trying to get your timing down for the season, and right now, I’m feeling great.”

But Sizemore is, too. In fact, the 31-year-old says his body has responded so well to the program outlined by Red Sox sports medicine coordinator Dan Dyrek that he’s able to play with a clear head and no fear of being reinjured.

“I’m not hesitant or worried about anything,” Sizemore said. “If I were thinking along those lines, I wouldn’t be ready to play.”

More and more, it appears Sizemore is ready, which only means the center field competition will get hotter over the next three weeks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Grady Sizemore at Center of Debate Healthy Sizemore battles Bradley for starting job 030714redsoxce008.jpg Photo by:  Christopher Evans SPRING FORWARD: Grady Sizemore is the early surprise of spring training and has a healthy chance to win the starting center fielder job before Opening Day beckons. 1 Sunday, March 9, 2014 Print Email Be the first to comment Photo Gallery By: Scott Lauber 

SARASOTA, Fla. — Don’t look now, but an honest-to-goodness competition is raging for a premium position on the Red Sox roster.

Grady Sizemore looks and (more importantly) feels better every day. Not only is he beginning to resemble a viable Opening Day center fielder and leadoff hitter, but when the Red Sox clocked him running from home to first in 4.2 seconds Friday, manager John Farrell could have sworn he was watching Sizemore circa 2008, when he ranked among the most dynamic players in the American League.

“When he was in his prime, or when he was right, he was 4.14,” said Farrell, the Indians’ farm director when Sizemore was coming up with Cleveland. “He’s not far off in terms of the running speed, pre-injury.”

By next week, Sizemore may play back-to-back games, the next step in his comeback bid. And if he’s able to do that regularly for the rest of the month, he will have passed the final test of whether the Sox can count on him as an everyday player, which was precisely what they hoped he would become when they took an incentive-filled, $750,000 flier on him in January.

But where would that leave Jackie Bradley Jr.?

There isn’t room on the roster for both Sizemore and Bradley, not with a job-sharing arrangement already in place in left field with Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava. Backup catcher David Ross, utility infielder Jonathan Herrera and super-sub Mike Carp round out the bench, each playing a defined role.

The Sox still view Bradley as their future center fielder, but if the job was his to lose when camp began, a shift may be taking place. To hear Farrell talk, it sounds increasingly like the decision will come down to Sizemore’s ability to stay on the field.

“Competition’s there,” Farrell said, “but we haven’t arrived at a conclusion with Grady yet. We still have to get answers to some questions that aren’t there yet. And then there’s still going to be that looming question of what’s the total number of games played.”

With 21 exhibition games left, the Sizemore-Bradley duel is only just beginning. At this point, though, one of two scenarios seems likely. Either Sizemore wins the job outright and Bradley heads back to Triple A to continue developing as a hitter, or Sizemore begins the season in extended spring training, buying more time for the Red Sox to determine whether his body can hold up under the rigors of an everyday role after seven surgeries in the past 41⁄2 years.

Regardless, Bradley insists he isn’t sweating it.

“I think you have to look at it individually,” he said after going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts yesterday in a 7-3 loss to the Orioles. “Competition’s competition. That’s what we do. We all compete. That’s what drives us. With that aspect, you do the best you can and let everything else take care of itself.”

Bradley took the same approach last year when he was the flavor of spring training. He piled up so many hits, including a homer against Philadelphia Phillies ace Cliff Lee, that he forced his way on to the Opening Day roster despite having never played a game above Double A.

Turns out, Bradley’s spring was a mirage. He wasn’t ready to hit major league pitching, and it showed when he started 3-for-31 with 12 strikeouts and got sent to Triple A by mid-April. He batted .189 in 95 at-bats overall over four call-ups.

It doesn’t mean much, then, that Bradley is 3-for-17 with five strikeouts thus far this spring.

“I guess you can’t really strictly focus too much on results, because look at last year,” Bradley said. “I mean, that’s a prime example. I look at it as more of trying to get your timing down for the season, and right now, I’m feeling great.”

But Sizemore is, too. In fact, the 31-year-old says his body has responded so well to the program outlined by Red Sox sports medicine coordinator Dan Dyrek that he’s able to play with a clear head and no fear of being reinjured.

“I’m not hesitant or worried about anything,” Sizemore said. “If I were thinking along those lines, I wouldn’t be ready to play.”

More and more, it appears Sizemore is ready, which only means the center field competition will get hotter over the next three weeks.

Bull that there are two likely scenarios.  Just as likely is that the Red Sox find a trading partner for expendable "supersub" Mike Carp, whose defensive roles are just as easily filled by Nava.  In a best case scenario where Sizemore looks ready to return as a regular, he will still ease into it and not play everyday, at least for April and into May.  With Nava playing some first, there's still room for both Bradley and Sizemore on the roster as they can both rotate into the corner outfield positions as well as sharing time in center.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Its EARLY yet !!!

Bingo

If not, we ought to be nervous that the whole squad looks like....   they are in ST or something.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The reality is that we've played less than 10 games this spring and all statistics are irrelevent. The good, the bad and the ugly. That's not to take away from what Sizemore has done in his first 8 at bats...going 3 for 8 nor his O'fer yesterday. I would caution those that want to jump on his bus too soon. I too am encouraged by his early showing, but we have to temper our enthusiasm with the knowledge that he's not played a meaniful game facing a pitcher with bad intent in 5 years. Trust me I'd like nothing more than to have him healthy and producing to his former self on opening day...but......there's still many hurdles he has to jump over before the Sox can trust that he can be a productive bench player, let alone trusting him to be an everyday player.

As a rule the first two weeks of camp for veterans who are assured a spot on the team is used to dust off the rust, get in thier work and as the calender moves closer to April they begin to ramp up the intensity. To date most of the veteren pitchers are still working on refining mechanics and focousing on fastball command. Then with each succecive appearance they begin to work in thier secondary stuff and increase the intensity. For pitchers their last two appearances are the most telling.

The same is true for many of the veteren hitters. The first two weks of camp is spent working on thier timing and mechanics in the cage. Early on during the first few games it's about seeing the ball and getting in thier hacks off live pitching, if they put up numbers during this time all the better.

I'm pretty sure that Ortiz and Pedrioa don't spend to much time worring about spring stats.

Conversely there are players who come to camp and hit the ground running trying to impress scouts, players not assured a spot or young prospects like Brentz. Many of which are already in mid season form due to having played winter ball. There's also a handful of guys on every team who are in the same position as Sizemore vets trying to make a comeback. 

That said, we're still about a week away from the beginning of when the players begin to show up everyday and ramp up the in game intensity..."The final two weeks of camp" is when stats do become relevent as players ready themselves for opening day...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Its EARLY yet !!!

You seemed concerned about Vic.  So how does this work?  Is it early for Bradley, and not early for Vic?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So Seizemire is having a noyworthy spring.

Joe, you got an early start on your Saturday night, didn't you?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Its EARLY yet !!!

Excellent thinking, Algernon-666!  Remember that the next time - 5 minutes from now? - you make yet another stupid comment about a SSS spring training event.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbutter. Show mudbutter's posts

Only a tool thinks Bradley starts over a healthy Sizemore.  I'm sure the apologists in here Bradley succed, but he's no Grady.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

Remy was saying that the plan is to play Sizemore for two days and then give him three days off. They are apparently being very careful in not over taxing him at the moment. Easy does it.  So far, so good. Nothing to conclude yet on whether Bradley or Sizemore wins the job.

remy started off with the theme that the job was still not assigned.  He quickly said that the job is JBJ's and Grady would fill in.

True but you are raining on Joe and Crow's parade.

You are actually a funny guy when you are not yelling at me.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts