Bradley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Bradley

A David Murphy type is not too bad. I think the organization is expecting more than that from Bradley. And , I think they will get it.  But the posters who are already rating him above Ellsbury , are simply not being realistic. Of course it  is possible, but we have not seen any evidence of it so far. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

[QUOTE]

Saw both at different times at Double AA, Ellsbury blows JBJ away.

I was going to say the same thing.  I saw them both a ton in Portland, Ells looked like a man among boys, JBJ struggled a lot, in the field as well.

I think Bradleys ceiling is Coco Crisp without the base stealing ability.

More likely I see a David Murphy type.

[/QUOTE]

And there ain't nothing wrong with that.

[/QUOTE]

By no means would that be the worst thing in the world.  Through about 9 seasons, Crisp has a 28.5 WAR.  A little above 3 per season.  That's just one more of those RS things.  If guys just project out to be pretty good, at minimum wage, they get no respect.  And that is generally where you build all the value.

[/QUOTE]

I did not mean comparing Bradley to Crisp as an insult. I think a lot of people here might take it as one because of an overinflated view of Bradley.

To me Bradley is plus Defense, 270 Ba, 12 homers, 10 steals, 770 OPS type.

Crisp and Murphy were just the first two guys that came to mind.

[/QUOTE]

I think many more have an overinflated view of Ellsbury, who other than the steals is a .270, 12 homer, 770 OPS guy.  

Coco Crisp with a stronger arm and better plate discipline but fewer stolen bases, paid league minimum, would be a more than adequate replacement.  

But I think Bradley will be more than that.  I don't know why we would pencil in a .770 OPS career for a guy with an .876 career minor-league OPS.  Ellsbury and Crisp didn't have falloffs like that when reaching the majors.  And Murphy actually got better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I keep reading how great he is in the outfield, but I sure havent seen it yet. Just now there was a long pause before he went back on a deep shot and the he went in a slightly wrong direction.  This cost nothing because the ball was not catchable, but I was expecting to see those great instincts.  And, yes, he has a very good arm, but I haven't seen it make a difference.  And his hitting remains suspect.

The same things were being said about Ell's in 2007 and 2008...my advice would be to wait until he actually makes team before over reacting...to one fly ball...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing.  I saw them both a ton in Portland, Ells looked like a man among boys, JBJ struggled a lot, in the field as well.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

By no means would that be the worst thing in the world.  Through about 9 seasons, Crisp has a 28.5 WAR.  A little above 3 per season.  That's just one more of those RS things.  If guys just project out to be pretty good, at minimum wage, they get no respect.  And that is generally where you build all the value.

[/QUOTE]

I did not mean comparing Bradley to Crisp as an insult. I think a lot of people here might take it as one because of an overinflated view of Bradley.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to imply that, if that is the way it came across.  I'm a huge Crisp fan.  I'm a big fan of CF defense, having grown up with Blair and eliot Maddux.  Crisp, in 2008, was better than either.  Seriously, I'd turn on ESPN, watch the highlights, and think they were showing a clip of CC from the night before.  But it was new, every night.  A slight exaggeration, but it seemed like Crisp would pull off a stunner almost every night.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think many more have an overinflated view of Ellsbury, who other than the steals is a .270, 12 homer, 770 OPS guy.  

Coco Crisp with a stronger arm and better plate discipline but fewer stolen bases, paid league minimum, would be a more than adequate replacement.  

But I think Bradley will be more than that.  I don't know why we would pencil in a .770 OPS career for a guy with an .876 career minor-league OPS.  Ellsbury and Crisp didn't have falloffs like that when reaching the majors.  And Murphy actually got better.

[/QUOTE]

For his career, Ellsbury has hit .299 with an OBP of .350. For his career, Coco Crisp has hit .276 with an OBP of .33. Not even close dude.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I keep reading how great he is in the outfield, but I sure havent seen it yet. Just now there was a long pause before he went back on a deep shot and the he went in a slightly wrong direction.  This cost nothing because the ball was not catchable, but I was expecting to see those great instincts.  And, yes, he has a very good arm, but I haven't seen it make a difference.  And his hitting remains suspect.

Yeah, he badly misplayed that ball today I thought. Not hitting well either, looks like he slaps at the ball in stead of attacking it to me.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We weren't talking about Ellsbury.

I would pencil in Bradley for 770 OPS by me watching him play in Portland and what I have seen this year in Boston.

It's just an educated guess. I am wrong a lot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I would pencil in Bradley for 770 OPS by me watching him play in Portland and what I have seen this year in Boston.

If JBJ can give us .770 the first full year, I'd be happy. It's about the same Jacoby has given us. The defense should be at least equal and over time could be better. The base running and SBs will be a drop off, but I hardly think 50 more SBs is worth an extra $17-20M a year.

Sox4ever

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to torgorockson's comment:

I think Ells brings more to the table than just OPS.

This post ^^^^^^^  says more in a few words than some posts do in several paragraphs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For his career, Ellsbury has hit .299 with an OBP of .350. For his career, Coco Crisp has hit .276 with an OBP of .33. Not even close dude.

[/QUOTE]

That is close dude, and Bradley's better plate discipline would easily close the gap.  I don't know what Ellsbury's going to go on to do, but I am very confident that Bradley can give us by 2015 what Ellsbury has given us in 162-game average over the past seven years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see him as similar to Dexter Fowler...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Is JBJ better than Ells? That's the wrong question. The correct question is... does signing Ells for an estimated 15 million a year (cross your fingers and hope he can stay healthy) smarter than signing JBJ for a few million and using the rest on a first baseman or #2/3 starter.

I don't have the answer, but that's the correct question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:

Is JBJ better than Ells? That's the wrong question. The correct question is... does signing Ells for an estimated 15 million a year (cross your fingers and hope he can stay healthy) smarter than signing JBJ for a few million and using the rest on a first baseman or #2/3 starter.

I like this question better. Shane Vic can do a great job in CF, and I think with the money saved we could easily come up with a good RH corner OF bat. Or use the money in the rotation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:
    [QUOTE]Is JBJ better than Ells? That's the wrong question. The correct question is... does signing Ells for an estimated 15 million a year (cross your fingers and hope he can stay healthy) smarter than signing JBJ for a few million and using the rest on a first baseman or #2/3 starter.

I like this question better. Shane Vic can do a great job in CF, and I think with the money saved we could easily come up with a good RH corner OF bat. Or use the money in the rotation.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox already have six starting pitchers under contract for next season.  While they might move a couple and pave the way for one big upgrade, it is unlikely.  Ace pitchers do not come along every year.

More likely they look to fill voids in catcher, and either 1B or SS, depending on how they align Bogaerts and Middlebrooks and if they keep Drew.

I think Drew should get a QO, and I would be in favor of giving one to Napoli, too...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This winter is not the time to try and upgrade our rotation. (I think this will be the first winter I have held that view since I became a Sox fan back in '72.)

We have had a high need for a great middle order (probably RH'd) hitter since Manny departed. I don't see any free agents that blow me away, but there could be a few that upgrade several slots. The big bopper would likely have to come by trade. Having 6 starters under contract and a number of outstanding pitching prospects in the wings makes us one of the front runners in any bopper sweepstakes trade offers (Stanton?).

If we offer Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli, and maybe even Salty a qualifying offer, we will be sitting pretty on comp picks next spring, and have about $30-35M to spend on free agents and remain under the luxury limit. We have a number of young players that could fill some of the voids, but I doubt more than 2 or 3 will be handed a FT job before ST (Middlebrooks, Boggy, and JBJ are the leading candidates).

Here's the 2014 layout:

C ______  Ross/Lava  (Vazquez/Butler/Swihart/Denny)

DH Ortiz/Gomes/Nava

1B _____  Middlebrooks/Carp/Nava/Papi (Snyder/Almanzar/Shaw)

2B Pedroia/Holts (Meneses/Betts/Coyle)

3B _____ Middlebrooks/Bogaerts/Holt (Snyder/Cecchini/Almanzar)

SS _____ Bogaerts/Holt (Marrero/Vinicio/Lin)

LF Nava/Gomes/Carp (Brentz/Hassan/Kalish/Hazelbaker/de la Cruz)

CF _____ Victorino/Bradley (Kalish/Ramos)

RF _____ Victorino/Nava/Gomes (Brentz/Hazelbaker)

SP Lester/Buch/Peavy/Lackey/Doubront/Dempster/Morales/Workman

(Britton/Webster/Ranaudo/Wright/Barnes/Owens/Johnson)

RP Uehara/Bailey/Tazawa/Breslow/_____/Miller/Villarreal/de la Rosa

(Workman/Britton/Wilson/Beato/de la Torre/Hernandez/Martin)

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Minor league numbers do not always predict what comes afterwards, but here's a comparative look at Ells and JBJ:

Age/PAs/OPS (SB/CS)  

Ellsbury                            Bradley  

Lowell         (A-) 21/165  .850 (23/3)    21/40   .686  (0/2)

Wimngtn    (A+) 22/281   .797 (25/9)   22/304  1.006 (16/6)

Portland     (AA) 23/325  .906 (25/9)    22/271  .809  (8/3)

Pawtucket (AAA) 23/427 .743 (33/6)    23/374  .842  (7/7)

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Minor league numbers do not always predict what comes afterwards, but here's a comparative look at Ells and JBJ:

Age/PAs/OPS (SB/CS)  

Ellsbury                            Bradley  

Lowell         (A-) 21/165  .850 (23/3)    21/40   .686  (0/2)

Wimngtn    (A+) 22/281   .797 (25/9)   22/304  1.006 (16/6)

Portland     (AA) 23/325  .906 (25/9)    22/271  .809  (8/3)

Pawtucket (AAA) 23/427 .743 (33/6)    23/374  .842  (7/7)

Sox4ever

Moon, thanks for the comparison.  FYI, for people reading these numbers ...

At first glance, these numbers look pretty even, but we should really throw away that first line (40 PAs for Bradley is too small to be useful) and it's important to realize the third line compares the two at different ages.  The second and fourth lines are the ones that compare the two at the same age and level, and with a decent and comparable number of PAs.  And on those lines, you can see a significant edge for Bradley.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

This winter is not the time to try and upgrade our rotation. (I think this will be the first winter I have held that view since I became a Sox fan back in '72.)

We have had a high need for a great middle order (probably RH'd) hitter since Manny departed. I don't see any free agents that blow me away, but there could be a few that upgrade several slots. The big bopper would likely have to come by trade. Having 6 starters under contract and a number of outstanding pitching prospects in the wings makes us one of the front runners in any bopper sweepstakes trade offers (Stanton?).

If we offer Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli, and maybe even Salty a qualifying offer, we will be sitting pretty on comp picks next spring, and have about $30-35M to spend on free agents and remain under the luxury limit. We have a number of young players that could fill some of the voids, but I doubt more than 2 or 3 will be handed a FT job before ST (Middlebrooks, Boggy, and JBJ are the leading candidates).

Here's the 2014 layout:

C ______  Ross/Lava  (Vazquez/Butler/Swihart/Denny)

DH Ortiz/Gomes/Nava

1B _____  Middlebrooks/Carp/Nava/Papi (Snyder/Almanzar/Shaw)

2B Pedroia/Holts (Meneses/Betts/Coyle)

3B _____ Middlebrooks/Bogaerts/Holt (Snyder/Cecchini/Almanzar)

SS _____ Bogaerts/Holt (Marrero/Vinicio/Lin)

LF Nava/Gomes/Carp (Brentz/Hassan/Kalish/Hazelbaker/de la Cruz)

CF _____ Victorino/Bradley (Kalish/Ramos)

RF _____ Victorino/Nava/Gomes (Brentz/Hazelbaker)

SP Lester/Buch/Peavy/Lackey/Doubront/Dempster/Morales/Workman

(Britton/Webster/Ranaudo/Wright/Barnes/Owens/Johnson)

RP Uehara/Bailey/Tazawa/Breslow/_____/Miller/Villarreal/de la Rosa

(Workman/Britton/Wilson/Beato/de la Torre/Hernandez/Martin)

Sox4ever

Qualifying offer is somewhere around $14 million, seems like there's a good chance Salty, Drew and Napoli would accept this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

JBJ would make a nice 4th OF

Jake is a stud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to torgorockson's comment:

[QUOTE]

The SOX have to re-sign Ells if they want to compete again next year.

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

WRONG, we don't need a $200m outfielder, look at what we got at $13m/yr with Victorino, a superior player than Ells

Sections
Shortcuts