Brady Turns 37, Lester is 30

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Brady Turns 37, Lester is 30

Interesting, how in one sport a guy whose main responsibility is throwing a ball is a Tops in his field and another is considered to risky to sign for a long-term contract past 5 years? Just find it interesting, not judging.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Re: Brady Turns 37, Lester is 30

Cause Red Sox are idiots. They using stats instead of looking a the player. Look- Glavine, Smoltz, Clemens, Rivera, Schilling and the list goes on all pitched into their later 30s and with success.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

Cause Red Sox are idiots. They using stats instead of looking a the player. Look- Glavine, Smoltz, Clemens, Rivera, Schilling and the list goes on all pitched into their later 30s and with success.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Meaningless post.  I can find a list of 4 players that have accomplished virtually anything.  Using the same criteria as you, Sabathia, Koufax, Gooden, and Valenzuela shows that even great pitchers don't usually last past the age of 30.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to dannycater's comment:

Interesting, how in one sport a guy whose main responsibility is throwing a ball is a Tops in his field and another is considered to risky to sign for a long-term contract past 5 years? Just find it interesting, not judging.

Apples & Oranges........  Both need to stay healty, Brady just needs  16 + - weeks to do it...... Baseball is day in day out !!

[object HTMLDivElement]

Always interesting when Bill is the voice of reason.

FWIW, Brady throws the ball maybe 500 times in a season, and maybe 200 times does he actually throw hard.  The rest are shirt passes that depend on timing and accuracy.

A guy Lester throws the ball about 3,500 times a year, and all 3,500 are thrown harder than Brady.

Apples and oranges was a generous comparison.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm sorry...is Lester considered possibly the greatest Starting Pitcher of ALL TIME?

Did I miss that conversation?

And ditto the reps on the arm over the course of a week/season/career.

I mean, Bourque played well into his 40s, so why can't some guy in a totally different sport do the same? Golfer can perform until their 60 for cryin out loud!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You think Brady doesn't throw 300 passes every day, offseason, training camp, during the week practice. Don't try to make a case that Brady's arm doesn't get taxed as a QB, considering how many times in his career a guy slammed him as he was throwing the ball....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The fact is, a number of pitchers have performed well into their mid-thirties at least.

You would think the odds would be more favorable for Lester, considering things like his physique, his throwing motion, and in particular the fact that he has been virtually injury-free in his career up to now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

You think Brady doesn't throw 300 passes every day, offseason, training camp, during the week practice. Don't try to make a case that Brady's arm doesn't get taxed as a QB, considering how many times in his career a guy slammed him as he was throwing the ball....

There's no way Brady throws 300 passes every day. And you still can't compate a QB throwing with the intensity a pitcher has to throw. And don't forget, a pitcher throws on his off days too.

Both QBs and pitchers will throw in the offseason, but the strain a QB puts on his arm can't begin to compare to the strain a pitcher puts on his.

It's unfair to both players to compare them to each other.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Comparison is about AGE more than arm strength....or taxing arms...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was defending Brady as to his work ethic and what he does at practice or preparation...a lot has to do with habitual throwing the football often. It's not as simple as saying he only has to worry about 16 games and playoffs...doesn't work that way in the NFL if you are a premier QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from august271985. Show august271985's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

There's no way Brady throws 300 passes every day. And you still can't compate a QB throwing with the intensity a pitcher has to throw. And don't forget, a pitcher throws on his off days too.

Both QBs and pitchers will throw in the offseason, but the strain a QB puts on his arm can't begin to compare to the strain a pitcher puts on his.

It's unfair to both players to compare them to each other.

The contrast is probably highlighted by the fact that the majority of injuries pitchers suffer stem from the throwing motion itself whereas for QBs it's usually contact related. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Apples & Oranges........  Both need to stay healty, Brady just needs  16 + - weeks to do it...... Baseball is day in day out !!

For pitchers it every 5 days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Always interesting when Bill is the voice of reason.

FWIW, Brady throws the ball maybe 500 times in a season, and maybe 200 times does he actually throw hard.  The rest are shirt passes that depend on timing and accuracy.

A guy Lester throws the ball about 3,500 times a year, and all 3,500 are thrown harder than Brady.

Apples and oranges was a generous comparison.

How about Bill and Einstein.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Danny, reading many of the responses .... there is a wide range of them.  I think we have to remember that Brady has already been out a whole season but that he is a rarity in the rough game of football.  I was a better footballer than baseballer but I love baseball more.  I did love having permission to hammer someone - I played D line mostly, end most of all.  Tom Terrific would have been my most plus-plus target (well, the QB ... )

Tom wants to play til he's 50.  At least.  You have to admire that kind of gumption.  

But Tom's owner isn't Lester's former owner.  There is no doubt that Kraft loves Tom.  Even the hamburgaler that is the Pat's coach seems to love him, which is rare.

I think the FO made it's mistake early on and signed Lester to only a handful of years.  They should have signed him for an additional three or four.  It would have erased this bridge that is now most likely burned.

But ... I have listened to and read as many responses by the sport talking head group and while many think we didn't get enough for Lester, others have expressed complete surprise that we got a power hitting AS OFer for a 2 month rental.  Of course, I'd rather have Lester but I am impressed with the return for the offense.  Similarly, I am impressed we picked up more for Lackey.

Who ever gets Lester will have to go 6 years plus the big bucks.... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The fact is, a number of pitchers have performed well into their mid-thirties at least.

You would think the odds would be more favorable for Lester, considering things like his physique, his throwing motion, and in particular the fact that he has been virtually injury-free in his career up to now.

SOmeone who gets it. Problem today is nobody knows how to scout any more except for a few. People google a sports stats site and think they know baseball. People forget it about a hand shake- a well firmed hand shake shows confidence.

Throwing across his body can lead to arm injuries- people today seem to over look these things.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

SOmeone who gets it. Problem today is nobody knows how to scout any more except for a few. People google a sports stats site and think they know baseball. People forget it about a hand shake- a well firmed hand shake shows confidence.

Throwing across his body can lead to arm injuries- people today seem to over look these things.

Cliff Lee, Sabathia and Halladay were all injury free, until they weren't anymore.

And if the "fact is" there are plenty of examples, please give some relevant ones...like I asked for days ago and was conveniently ignored.

Your "facts" are outdated. Once upon a time, the "fact was" the world was flat too. Oops.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Cliff Lee, Sabathia and Halladay were all injury free, until they weren't anymore.

And if the "fact is" there are plenty of examples, please give some relevant ones...like I asked for days ago and was conveniently ignored.

Your "facts" are outdated. Once upon a time, the "fact was" the world was flat too. Oops.

Lee and Halladay's age 31-34 seasons were pretty damn good. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Brady is one guy, he is not the norm, Most NFL QB's are home icing their knees by the time they are 37…we all know this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

The average age of NFL Qb's in 2013 was below 28, I just looked it up. Brady is one of the best qb's of all time. Lester is certainly not one of the best pitchers of all time.

Odd comparison.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I think the crucial point here is the one about QB's not usually getting arm injuries.  Any QB's ever need TJ surgery?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Lester's injury fear is arm related - Brady's is everything and anything - has nothing to do with throwing motion...those arguing that baseball is tougher on the body of an athlete is hilarious...what Brady is doing at this age is almost unheard of - in baseball it happens fequently

As always - 100% correct!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Silly OP.  Tom Brady is the key to the Patriots success, way beyond anything Lester has done or could do for the Sox, and he has been among the five best QB's in the NFL for a long time.  Lester can't say that either. 

Quarterbacks rarely if ever wear out their arms, but pitchers rarely go an entire career without arm trouble.  The Sox got Lackey about the same age as Lester is now and basically got very little for the first 3-4 years.  Last year and this year, he has been terrific, but will want to avoid pitching next year for $500K.  Schilling didn't get a long term contract, but even the short term one, the last, was terrible.  Beckett did get a long term contract from the Sox, and they regretted it. 

I would love to have seen Lester stay because of his overall consistency, but I suspect his price is outside of any reasonable price range.  He will probably go elsewhere for $160M-$180M. 

Sections
Shortcuts