Brandon McCarthy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cm99. Show cm99's posts

Brandon McCarthy

How about Boston pick up Brandon Mcarthy as the other starter. I think we could get him for prospects . What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Brandon McCarthy

Brandon McCarthy is a 28-year-old righthander who remains under his team's control for one season after posting a WAR* of 4.7 last year.

As points of reference, last season Matt Garza posted a WAR of 5.0, Gio Gonzalez 3.5, Michael Pineda 3.4 and Mat Latos 3.2, although these pitchers come with more years of team control than McCarthy does.

Can the Red Sox afford to further deplete the farm system to acquire a starter of Brandon McCarthy's caliber?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am wondering if Ben is scouting the little league teams for help. after all we are now a small market team looking for cheap talent. If this team flops because they are a starter short Young Ben's head is going to be in a chopping block all season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon McCarthy:
    Brandon McCarthy is a 28-year-old righthander who remains under his team's control for one season after posting a WAR* of 4.7 last year. As points of reference, last season Matt Garza posted a WAR of 5.0, Gio Gonzalez 3.5, Michael Pineda 3.4 and Mat Latos 3.2, although these pitchers come with more years of team control than McCarthy does. Can the Red Sox afford to further deplete the farm system to acquire a starter of Brandon McCarthy's caliber? * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55

Which more than doubled his career total.  He's not in the same league as any of the pitchers you named in the post.

Stephen Strasburg was only vauled at 2.1WAR last year.  Yet somehow I think the package to acquire McCarthy won't be better than what it would take to pry Strasburg out of Washington.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon McCarthy : Which more than doubled his career total.  He's not in the same league as any of the pitchers you named in the post. Stephen Strasburg was only vauled at 2.1WAR last year.  Yet somehow I think the package to acquire McCarthy won't be better than what it would take to pry Strasburg out of Washington.
    Posted by notin

As another point of reference, Brandon McCarthy's 2011 WAR of 4.7 still easily exceeds Clay Buchholz's 2010 career-high WAR of 3.8, which accounts for nearly half of Buchholz's career total WAR.

What would McCarthy's trade value be if he were owed the nearly $30 million that Buchholz is owed over the next four seasons?

(McCarthy has a 2012 salary of $4.275 million in his final year before free agency)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon McCarthy : As another point of reference, Brandon McCarthy's 2011 WAR of 4.7 still easily exceeds Clay Buchholz's 2010 career-high WAR of 3.8, which accounts for nearly half of Buchholz's career total WAR. What would McCarthy's trade value be if he were owed the nearly $30 million that Buchholz is owed over the next four seasons? (McCarthy has a 2012 salary of $4.275 million in his final year before free agency)
    Posted by hill55

So, what's your idea of what it would take to get BM?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does his 1.34 ERA differential between Home & Away concern you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Brandon McCarthy : So, what's your idea of what it would take to get BM?
    Posted by moonslav59

I have almost no idea ...

... how about Anthony Ranaudo and Garin Cecchini if the A's throw in Michael Taylor, a 26-year-old righthand-hitting slugging corner outfielder (whose stock has fallen since being Baseball America's 29th-ranked prospect entering the 2010 season)?

Ranaudo is ranked from second to fifth among Red Sox prospects while Cecchini is ranked from seventh to 12th.

I'm not suggesting that the Red Sox should further deplete the farm system, but I think that's what it might take to land Brandon McCarthy (whom the A's could retain for a potentially better return at the trade deadline).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

You guys actually take bait like this?

Some clown waltzes in and tosses a name for trade conversation...you gotta be joking!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Does his 1.34 ERA differential between Home & Away concern you?
    Posted by moonslav59

Brandon McCarthy has a 3.96 ERA in 27 career games, including 26 starts, at Rangers Ballpark, perhaps the most hitter-friendly venue in the American League.

McCarthy's 2011 road ERA of 3.99 in 12 starts included a combined four starts against powerful lineups at Yankee Stadium, Rangers Ballpark and Rogers Centre.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You guys actually take bait like this? Some clown waltzes in and tosses a name for trade conversation...you gotta be joking!
    Posted by WesternOregon

It's good exercise for the mind ... much like a puzzle.

You are invited to ignore the innocent exchange ... or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Cecchini more than Middlebrooks, so I'd look for another package, but I do think your package might be suitable to the A's.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

No thanks. I don't think he'd cost that much, but I don't think he's a fit here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

I'm not convinced McCarthy is better than what we have available? The cost would be such that trading for Floyd would make better sense. Trading Middlebrooks could be risky if Youk has health problems. Cecchini is in my view the better prospect down the road, but Middlebrooks is closer to ready in 2012.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

if mccarthy is only in consideration for the 4th or 5th rotation spot he is probably not worth ranaudo and middlebrooks, but it he were to be considered equal to buchholtz than i would think that he would be worth those two young guys.

i still have a problem with bard and/or aceves being converted into starters.  both might be great, but both could fail miserably as well.  i know that i certainly do like the bullpen much more if those guys both head back to the pen.

silva, miller, padilla, etc are all good invites to spring training because if even one of them earns a starting rotation spot then they all would be worth inviting to spring training.

never enough pitching early in the season, in the middle of the season and at the end of the season.

Sections
Shortcuts