Bratt Pitt and Moneyball? Why do they ruin true stories with Hollywood image bad actors?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

Re: Bratt Pitt and Moneyball? Why do they ruin true stories with Hollywood image bad actors?

The "moral" majority finds it's perfectly acceptable to be a bigot as long as you're a good Christian bigot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Bratt Pitt and Moneyball? Why do they ruin true stories with Hollywood image bad actors?

In Response to Re: Bratt Pitt and Moneyball? Why do they ruin true stories with Hollywood image bad actors?:
    Have you read the book? Great stuff but without creative license there is NO WAY they could make a movie about it. Guarantee they mention bill James once in the movie if they mention him at all. Also paul depodesta isnt in it at all.. they make up a character who is a similar person. These things however do not make it automatically a bad Movie. Do they play up the underdog that the A's were and the surprise in their success??? Yes because in actuality in the 2000 and 2001 seasons the A's were a great team. But that makes for a better movie which hopefully will turn more people onto baseball......And then we all win
    Posted by redsoxlaxer12

DePodesta is replaced by Jonah Hill's character. It was not like could directly translate into a money anyways.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Bratt Pitt and Moneyball? Why do they ruin true stories with Hollywood image bad actors?:
    In Response to Re: Bratt Pitt and Moneyball? Why do they ruin true stories with Hollywood image bad actors? : Do you also find it morally wrong to plant your fields with two kinds of seeds, to pick up grapes that have fallen to the ground, to wear clothing of two kinds of material, to cut your hair at the sides, to clip the edges of your beard, and have a tattoo?
    Posted by LloydDobler

I make sure I have tassles on my clothes and oil in my hair, personally.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

Softy I feel sorry for you. " Whatsoever you do unto the least of my brethen you do unto me".  That's what makes Christianity great; that's the kind of God I revere.  You can look into Leviticus all you want and any other Old Testament book complete with slaves, murder, adultery, bigomy, etc..  Jesus forgave and preached love.  I've fought in two wars; raised 4 children; and currently have 17 grandchildren and have lived to the ripe old age of 88.  I've found the people who are the least tolerant are usually the ones who dislike themselves the most and sometimes hide who they really are or what they've gone through from the world.
    Posted by frankn

First, great post.  Second, I hope that when I'm 88 years young I'll still  be following the Sox and weighing in on a message board somewhere.  I salute you Sir! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I find it altogether unsurprising that along with baseball, I disagree wholeheartedly with Softlaw on politics, religion and even f'n Brad Pitt.  Pitt was great in Fight Club and especially T he Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which, I believe, was seen by approximately 16 people.
    Posted by saxydogg77

LMFAO...great post...it would have been 17 people, but the night I tried to watch it I fell asleep 30 minutes in. I'm sure Pitt himself was terrific in that movie, at least what I saw of him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Bratt Pitt and Moneyball? Why do they ruin true stories with Hollywood image bad actors? : If you choose to live your life based on ancient writings from captive Jews, who themselves borrowed freely from Sumerian myths (like the flood/garden of eden) that's your business...to tell other people that they should share your myopia is hilarious...you might as well tell them to continue practice blood-letting and other cultural vestiges of primitive times...I think I will choose to not let that collection of tales dictate to me how i should live.
    Posted by georom4

You sound lile you only read the Old Testament and failed to get the message from Jesus in the New Testament. The Old Teastament by the way is the background for the Jewish, Muslim. and Mormon religions more than it is for the Christians. The Old Testament except for what the prophets said is not that relevant for most Christians.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox91. Show sox91's posts

"However, they understand that while we are brothers, they cannot be friends until they recognize wrong and reject contemporary values on sexual behavior and relationships."

The values you speak of aren't contemporary, if you actually read a history book you'll find that its been present in many different societies across the world for thousands of years. Also a question I would have for someone like yourself is do you adhere to every passage in the Bible or do you just choose to follow the ones you like, as many supposedly good Christians do. Also have you seen fight club, Brad Pitt was great in that movie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sleepers - A great movie and Brad plays a lawyer.  I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Pitt has been in a lot of good movies, I agree on Sleepers, and a nice job by Bacon and Jason Patric. Bacon has also done some great work in recent movies such as The Woodsman, a movie he should won the Academy Award for, and Taking Chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I'm a Netflix fan myself. I fill out their questionaire and they recommend what might appeal to me. Watching a good movie ten years "too late" doesn't phase me one bit. I watch what I want to watch instead of what society is chirping about at the moment. A good, old movie is just as good today as it was years ago. The conversation at work doesn't revolve around few choices any more since we have thousands of choices nowadays with 300 channels, Netflix, Amazon streaming, and thousands of pay-per-view movies, concerts, and other entertainment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

echo, nothing wrong with watching older movies or independents or old classics. I enjoy AMC channel myself. Some films are so watchable, you can watch them 20 times and feel entertained by that same flick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

That's what makes Christianity great; that's the kind of God I revere. You can look into Leviticus all you want

(I Corinthians 6:9; 10) For the NT. What makes Christianity great is that it doesn't chance to fit the desired values of today, and it provides a path to eternal life for those who confess their wrongs and human failings. It does not provide redemption for those who maintain that wrong is right.

Romans 1:18-32

For those who cling to the notion that "only the dated and archaic Old Testament denounces this behavior".

The search for Biblical support for same-sexual conduct is empty, dishonest and deceitful. It, along with other immoral conduct, is proscribed in both the Old and New Testament.

Jesus forgave and preached love.

Of course he did. But today's values are not about forgiveness, they are about acceptance of conduct that seeks not forgiveness, but seeks permit and approval.

For those who embrace or accept same-sexual behavior without denouncing it, you will need to tolerate that I believe Brad Pitt is a terrible actor and I respect that both the Old and New Testament denounce it.

Now, tolerance is not needed for Leftist and contemporary popular American values, as they are popular. However, tolerance is needed for those backwoods bigoted Bible clingers who denounce many contemporary American morals.

Particularly on this site, viewpoint tolerance is needed for those who are in a one person minority;) Do not be hateful or bash us ignorant backwoods bigots who haven't been enlightened by modern academia and the progressive and better secular value system of today. 

I don't hate myself, happily married for 30 years with 3 children who are now consenting adults, and my family is well educated. We all have advanced degrees from State schools, where our viewpoints were frequently ridiculed as stupid backwood bigots. Kind of like on this site of enlightened progressives.

I will not be watching any movies with Brad Pitt. I saw a clip of Seven, and he was laughably bad. My opinion, so be tolerant of it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

the movie glorifies  a GM that NEVER actually won anything.  I can't believe any intelligent person would believe that money ball actually produces results.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Equivocate if you must Softy. Tolerance is golden rule. No equivocation, Space. Tolerance is most certainly not golden rule. And to equate a baseball player with morality is flippant and reflects a poor value system that is very popular in my generation. Tolerance is misused with hate as a bugaboo to advance approval via indifference or endorsement of a new value system. Tolerance means to permit or accept that which one finds objectionable. I will be continue to exercise my moral obligation and civic duty to denounce what is now popular to agree with or tolerate. My conscience is clear, being given the intelligence to know right from wrong.  Knowing my generation's value system, I have no problem being the square who disapproves of what they will claim is not only popular but what is right. And equating group behavior to skin color for political advancement purposes should certainly be insulting to anyone with any intelligence and respect for wisdom. That excludes you, Space. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Like stained church glass .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Softy I feel sorry for you. " Whatsoever you do unto the least of my brethen you do unto me".  That's what makes Christianity great; that's the kind of God I revere.  You can look into Leviticus all you want and any other Old Testament book complete with slaves, murder, adultery, bigomy, etc..  Jesus forgave and preached love.  I've fought in two wars; raised 4 children; and currently have 17 grandchildren and have lived to the ripe old age of 88.  I've found the people who are the least tolerant are usually the ones who dislike themselves the most and sometimes hide who they really are or what they've gone through from the world.
    Posted by frankn

Beautifully said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Billy Beane never won anything, however he still revolutionized (or at the very least popularized the revolution) of the game by changing the way in which players are statistically evaluated. He might find his way into Cooperstown some day as a contributor for that reason alone. Prior to Beane, batting average and ERA were practically everything. Now we've got a lot of superior metrics for assessing talent. While Beane himself didn't necessarily pioneer any of the innovations, he was the first GM to conspicuosly apply the new techniques to building a baseball organization. How any of this will interest the casual movie goer escapes me. That's probably why Brad Pitt got tabbed to play the role of Beane. Pitt's star power might attract people to the film who otherwise would be apathetic toward the storyline.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

good job    davidap

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Billy Beane never won anything, however he still revolutionized (or at the very least popularized the revolution) of the game by changing the way in which players are statistically evaluated. He might find his way into Cooperstown some day as a contributor for that reason alone. Prior to Beane, batting average and ERA were practically everything. Now we've got a lot of superior metrics for assessing talent. While Beane himself didn't necessarily pioneer any of the innovations, he was the first GM to conspicuosly apply the new techniques to building a baseball organization. How any of this will interest the casual movie goer escapes me. That's probably why Brad Pitt got tabbed to play the role of Beane. Pitt's star power might attract people to the film who otherwise would be apathetic toward the storyline.
    Posted by davidap

Exactly. And Pitt will cost the movey producers about one (Softy) movie goer.

And no one has mentioned that there are other great actors in the movie, including Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright.  I can't wait to see it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Posted by frankn

don't want to rain on your parade, but if you look deeply into this modern
    world, the ones who advertise that they're christians the most are, for the most part, the ones who act it the least.

for more objective views on organized religion, plese check out bill maher's movie
    RELIGULOUS. brad pitt, fortunately, isn't in it.

Sections
Shortcuts