Re: Braun's Apology - UGH

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

So that explains it; a reverse troll. Nothing new.

He was trying to gain Sox posters confidence, as a Yankee hater. Then, start his criticism of the Sox, saying he's a fan who didn't view them through rose colored glasses. 

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was more of a case of making a Sox fan look bad enough so that NYY fans can squash him, infuriating Sox posters, or even sucking them in to flailingly try to defend him, making a group of Sox posters look even worse. No?

[/QUOTE]

That wasn't his MO, before. He ended up leaving, because everyone finally caught on and called him out, as a NYY fan. His claim was he was an Sox fan, who didn't view them through rose colored glasses. Worst of the worst. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL, maybe I'm really a SOX fan.

Obviously JK. But Babe was convinced.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Proven steroids users are turning into politicians daily.  How can you tell if a proven steroid user is lying?  See if his mouth is moving.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

yet you`ll cheer all the NFL players out there who are on HGH, give me a break

Free Baseball lesson for you:  Baseball is a numbers sport.  In baseball we cherish statistics.  we love numbers.  we can compare players that our grandfathers watched play to the players that our sons watch play.  because?  statistics.  Steroids has tainted that.

Football fans couldn't possibly care less about any numbers besides W's & L's.

free lesson over.

A Free Baseball lesson for you: you can't compare players that our grandfathers watched play to the players that our sons watch play. because?

the game has changed so much over the yrs

one must acknowledge those differences when they compare different eras

different rules GR doubles used to be HR

different size parks, gloves, mound

different player pools

much much more but the point is this is just another era

but that's it for todays free lesson

The game itself is the common thread that weaves the differing eras and decades together. While it is true that over time the game has evolved with subtle and not so subtle changes to equipment, parks, the numbers of games, intergration, free agency and the advent of the DH. All have left their signatures on each era. All of which make for great debate when your arguing with your dad over who was best lefthanded hitter in baseball history Ruth or Wiliams...However the basic framework of the game itself is timeless and it is through this prisism that we wax nostalgically and why this particular era leaves most ardent fans who hold the history of the game so near and dear to their hearts befuddled as we struggle to put the taint of PEDS into proper historical perspective.

So it is with that in mind that I find it difficult to place Bonds in the conversation for the best left handed hitter of all time, though his career stats certainly merit his being in the consideration. That might well be the lasting legesey of the steroid era where an entire generation of players will always have a caveat attached to their career accomplishments. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

However the basic framework of the game itself is timeless and it is through this prisism that we wax nostalgically and why this particular era leaves most ardent fans who hold the history of the game so near and dear to their hearts befuddled as we struggle to put the taint of PEDS into proper historical perspective.

smooth BT

really smooth

So it is with that in mind that I find it difficult to place Bonds in the conversation for the best left handed hitter of all time, though his career stats certainly merit his being in the consideration. That might well be the lasting legesey of the steroid era where an entire generation of players will always have a caveat attached to their career accomplishments.

bonds brings us to something hardly ever discussed

bonds not only took advantage of PED's

he was also the worst at taking advantage of PEP's

Performance-Enhancing Pads

not sure when all these arm, shin & elbow pads started

but they also give the modern playing an advantage over the earlier era's

bonds took it to another level and wore a sling/hinged type elbow pad

that had been banned but was grandfathered in while he was still playing ?

with the theory being it helps one to repeat that same swing over & over

comparing players from different era's is a  great long time tradition

but it can't be done as simple as many try to

IMO 1st you have  to compare said player to players of his time

in time I can see the majority saying

guys like bonds, roger & arod still were that much better than all the other users

and  then show them more respect than than have now

as the yrs go on I think there will be less & less distain for the user

mostly because future generations won't know it as anything different than the norm

PED's aren't going any where

I suggest we all try to find peace with that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

However the basic framework of the game itself is timeless and it is through this prisism that we wax nostalgically and why this particular era leaves most ardent fans who hold the history of the game so near and dear to their hearts befuddled as we struggle to put the taint of PEDS into proper historical perspective.

smooth BT

really smooth

bonds brings us to something hardly ever discussed

bonds not only took advantage of PED's

he was also the worst at taking advantage of PEP's

Performance-Enhancing Pads

not sure when all these arm, shin & elbow pads started

but they also give the modern playing an advantage over the earlier era's

bonds took it to another level and wore a sling/hinged type elbow pad

that had been banned but was grandfathered in while he was still playing ?

with the theory being it helps one to repeat that same swing over & over

comparing players from different era's is a  great long time tradition

but it can't be done as simple as many try to

IMO 1st you have  to compare said player to players of his time

in time I can see the majority saying

guys like bonds, roger & arod still were that much better than all the other users

and  then show them more respect than than have now

as the yrs go on I think there will be less & less distain for the user

mostly because future generations won't know it as anything different than the norm

PED's aren't going any where

I suggest we all try to find peace with that

Zac,

I was one of the first to voice my distain for the body armor...I also stated more than a decade ago that more that 90% of the players in the game used to some extent. I also felt than as I do now that all parties have played and continue to play a role in enabling and encouraging players to use.

Regarding, Bonds, Arodvand Clemens, not sure that I agree they were that much better. All of them were All Star caliber players. Not sure that any of them were the best at thier respective positions pre-Peds but were among the best. Lost in the argument is the degree in which each individual used. Bonds & Arod were both All star players who became hall of farme worthy after abusing. Clemens was in the twilight of his a career and a boarderline Hall of famer before he started abusing and it extended his career to allow him to attain 350 career wins and have his name in the conversation with Walter Johnson as the greatest righthanded pitcher of all time. 

While I agree that the use of steroids will continue until the penalty for use is prohibitive. The abuse of to the levels of Arod, Mcquire, Sosa, Clemens and Bonds is now a thing of the past. That being said. There's no disputing that many of their respective accomplishments were greatly enhanced by the use of steroids and as such each of them should foreever be banned from the hall if for no other reason than for knowingly chosing to break the law and cheat the game and their fellow players. 

My stance on the use of steroids will never change. My disdain for the manner in which the entire baseball establishment has chosen to handle this scourge is reprehensible. Frankly  I have grown tired of the manner in which Selig and the owners have painted the players as the guilty party, yet a player like Melky Cabrera a known user who was suspended for use gets a multi-million dollar contract the very next year. It's a joke....