Braves to get Justin Upton from D-Backs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Braves to get Justin Upton from D-Backs

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Seattle could have paid him just a much if not more.

False.

Why would any team give a guy a massive extension when he is still owed 40 mill for the three years? 

To get a perfect RH OF Fenway/AL elite young MLB talent production from ages 25 through age 32, at an A rated value and fit because of age and the massive inflation built into the economy as a result of the democrat party federal economic plan of corrupt pandering and fiscal incompetence

It is fiscal incompetence to owe a guy who is going to hit 280/20/80 and never had an OPS over 900 120 million. That is not a value at all.

I'll throw out a few more numbers based on what I've read and heard (clearly speculative).

The odds that Justin Upton would waive no-trade to go to Boston - 1%

The odds the Sox Front Office would have matched Braves offer for Upton - 5%

The odds that the Sox would've traded any one of Boegarts, Barnes, Bradley or De La Rosa in a trade for Upton - .000001%

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

This deal is basically.....

Brandon Workman----Zeke Spruill
    Jose Iglesias------Nick Ahmed
    Mookie Betts-------Brandon Drury
    Felix Doubront-----Randall Delgado
    Saltalamacchia-----Martin Prado

Johnson off sets the slight edges with any Atlanta advantage. Would I have given up that package for Upton? Maybe. But I didn't really want Upton. I am concerned about the attitude thing. We would have to add another starter. We would be giving the keys to Lavarnway. And of course giving up on the glove of Iglesias. And Gomes becomes a rather expensive backup with nobody to platoon with.

Value wise its a fair deal for Upton. If we signed Kyle Lohse, Doubront could be replaced. But then we have added another 16-18 million in salary. Would the red sox do that? I doubt it.

I am not sweatin the loss of Upton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Johnson off sets the slight edges with any Atlanta advantage. Would I have given up that package for Upton? Maybe. But I didn't really want Upton. I am concerned about the attitude thing. We would have to add another starter. We would be giving the keys to Lavarnway. And of course giving up on the glove of Iglesias. And Gomes becomes a rather expensive backup with nobody to platoon with.

Value wise its a fair deal for Upton. If we signed Kyle Lohse, Doubront could be replaced. But then we have added another 16-18 million in salary. Would the red sox do that? I doubt it.

Nice post, BMav, but I have to disagree with "Prado-Saltalamacchia."  Th DBacks just gave Miguel Montero 60 million.  Salty is not a fit at all.  I also think Prado has a ton of value.  The guy is a very good hitter, he's has a terrific work ethic, a great attitude and he can play pretty much anywhere on the diamond.  These guys don't grow on trees and the Sox don't have a similar player.  Maybe the Dbacks would have taken Middlebrooks, but the Sox weren't trading Middlebrooks in a deal for Upton, even if Upton would've waived his no-trade, which I don't think he would've even considered. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Nice post, BMav, but I have to disagree with "Prado-Saltalamacchia."  Th DBacks just gave Miguel Montero 60 million.  Salty is not a fit at all.  I also think Prado has a ton of value.  The guy is a very good hitter, he's has a terrific work ethic, a great attitude and he can play pretty much anywhere on the diamond.  These guys don't grow on trees and the Sox don't have a similar player. 

I agree that Prado has a bit more value and that Arizona wouldn't be a good fit for our catcher. But like you said, we didn't have a great comparison to Prado value wise. Salty was the closest I could come up with. And I did say to make Johnson the sweetner for the Braves advantages. Maybe my comparisons come up a touch short still. Which makes me less apt to want to add even more to make the trade. Which makes me even less sad we lost out on this type of a deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Nice post, BMav, but I have to disagree with "Prado-Saltalamacchia."  Th DBacks just gave Miguel Montero 60 million.  Salty is not a fit at all.  I also think Prado has a ton of value.  The guy is a very good hitter, he's has a terrific work ethic, a great attitude and he can play pretty much anywhere on the diamond.  These guys don't grow on trees and the Sox don't have a similar player. 

I agree that Prado has a bit more value and that Arizona wouldn't be a good fit for our catcher. But like you said, we didn't have a great comparison to Prado value wise. Salty was the closest I could come up with. And I did say to make Johnson the sweetner for the Braves advantages. Maybe my comparisons come up a touch short still. Which makes me less apt to want to add even more to make the trade. Which makes me even less sad we lost out on this type of a deal.

I agree...We can all speculate what the DBacks would've considered "fair value" from the Sox for Upton, but I don't think it mattered in the long run.  I don't think he would've even considered waiving his no trade to come to Boston and I think the Sox Front Office wasn't exactly enamored with him from the beginning. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I agree...We can all speculate what the DBacks would've considered "fair value" from the Sox for Upton, but I don't think it mattered in the long run.  I don't think he would've even considered waiving his no trade to come to Boston and I think the Sox Front Office wasn't exactly enamored with him from the beginning. 

It's hard to blame them on that front. The guy's been in the majors for about 5 years and has never posted an OPS of .900.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

It's hard to blame them on that front. The guy's been in the majors for about 5 years and has never posted an OPS of .900.

Very true, Carnie...People keep looking for the next "Manny" to fill the 3/4 hole, but Upton isn't that guy.  Manny Ramirez is arguably one of the top 3 or 4 best right handed hitters in the history of baseball.  He will likely never be replaced.  Ortiz/Ramirez in their prime is arguably top 5 all time as well.  Manny was an "idiot savant," but he was so talented as a hitter that you could deal with it.  Upton doesn't have the talent of Manny Ramirez to have to deal with what seems to be "negative intangibles."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's hit .898 or better 2 times by the age of 23.

When Justin rakes for the Braves, we'll revisit this and wonder what if...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

That could very well be. I'll be willing to eat my words if I'm wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I'll never "wonder if" because it wasn't "realistic" to think he would come here.  I won't "wonder if" if Brett Anderson wins the Cy Young, because he wasn't an option either...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll never "wonder if" because it wasn't "realistic" to think he would come here.  I won't "wonder if" if Brett Anderson wins the Cy Young, because he wasn't an option either...

I don't buy into the whole "he wouldn't come here" argument.

Many players put teams with high payrolls on their no trade list to try and gain leverage, but I guess we'll never know. My guess is that, at worst, we'd have had to extend him at a handsome cost, but at his age, no biggie there.

I think we could have offered better than what AZ got. I think my top suggested offer was better.

I'm not calling you out by sating this, but I get the feeling that some here feel like the only players we could have gotten this winter are the only ones Ben ended up getting. And, other think there was nobody better to get at a reasonable cost.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Many players put teams with high payrolls on their no trade list to try and gain leverage, but I guess we'll never know. My guess is that, at worst, we'd have had to extend him at a handsome cost, but at his age, no biggie there.

I think we could have offered better than what AZ got. I think my top suggested offer was better.

I'm not calling you out by sating this, but I get the feeling that some here feel like the only players we could have gotten this winter are the only ones Ben ended up getting. And, other think there was nobody better to get at a reasonable cost.

Fair enough point, and I'm definitely one of those "it's not realistic to think he's coming here guys."  There are many reasons why, but I certainly don't make things up for the fun of it.  I could come out and say, "Justin Upton's no trade to the Sox has nothing to do with leverage.  He just hates the cold, doesn't particularly like Boston at all, and wouldn't waive his no-trade to come here under almost any circumstances.  He was going to do everything he could to play with his brother and be closer to his Virginia roots, and I know this because I asked people who cover baseball for a living and love to talk about things that they can't put in "print."  Is that believable?  No, so what's the point?  I also understand your frustration with this offseason, but under the circumstances, I happen to think they did pretty well.  I'm just glad Larry Lucchino's voice in baseball ops took a backseat for the first ime in a while.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Fair enough point, and I'm definitely one of those "it's not realistic to think he's coming here guys."  There are many reasons why, but I certainly don't make things up for the fun of it.  I could come out and say, "Justin Upton's no trade to the Sox has nothing to do with leverage.  He just hates the cold, doesn't particularly like Boston at all, and wouldn't waive his no-trade to come here under almost any circumstances.  He was going to do everything he could to play with his brother and be closer to his Virginia roots, and I know this because I asked people who cover baseball for a living and love to talk about things that they can't put in "print."  Is that believable?  No, so what's the point?  I also understand your frustration with this offseason, but under the circumstances, I happen to think they did pretty well.  I'm just glad Larry Lucchino's voice in baseball ops took a backseat for the first ime in a while.  

By the way, Im making plans to go to next years winter meetings Jasko. Ill be drinking Monsters all night to try and catch a few conversations...

I really think that although the Ownership group refuses to admit making numerous mistakes, the realize they did and are allowing BC to do his job and giving him the time for his plan to work, or not.

I was also on the "upton wasnt coming here anyway" side as well. Although Moon had some very valid points, I just didnt see it happening from either side.

The Sox plan wouldnt allow them to make such a move and Upton wasnt worth the asking price.

Upton had the Sox on his last 2 NTC and like you said, was looking to play with his brother. I heard that question asked to him and he said it would be a dream come true toplay on the same team as BJ.

The Sox wouldve had to offer something like WMB - Prado  RDLR - Delgato  Holt - Ahmed and a couple names like Workman and Shaw.

AZ is going for Porcello and will try and flip Ahmed in a deal for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Nice post, BMav, but I have to disagree with "Prado-Saltalamacchia."  Th DBacks just gave Miguel Montero 60 million.  Salty is not a fit at all.  I also think Prado has a ton of value.  The guy is a very good hitter, he's has a terrific work ethic, a great attitude and he can play pretty much anywhere on the diamond.  These guys don't grow on trees and the Sox don't have a similar player.  Maybe the Dbacks would have taken Middlebrooks, but the Sox weren't trading Middlebrooks in a deal for Upton, even if Upton would've waived his no-trade, which I don't think he would've even considered. 

Great post.  Agreed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Prado is a much more valuable asset than Salty.  The trade revolved around Prado, not the prospects.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Prado is a much more valuable asset than Salty.  The trade revolved around Prado, not the prospects.

...and they are looking to extend him. It makes me thing of the AGon trade, where they knew there was going to be an extension before agreeing to the trade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Photo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Photo

HA! nice...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

that made me giggle lol.

too funny

Sections
Shortcuts