Breaking News-Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports: Francona expected to leave Red Sox-your reaction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Breaking News-Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports: Francona expected to leave Red Sox-your reaction

Anyone who thinks he was the problem doesn't understand the game. That said, maybe it's best for him. Tito will stay unemployed for about 10 minutes, and wherever he lands will instantly become my second-favorite team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Breaking News-Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports: Francona expected to leave Red Sox-your reaction

In Response to Re: Breaking News-Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports: Francona expected to leave Red Sox-your reaction:
    Agree Soxdog - this is on the players. Managers can do just so much, but if the players have their own agenda, well, such is life. That being said, just like with Torre, nothing lasts forever, no mater what that manager means in team history. Maybe it is time for Tito to split.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I don't think the Sox would go that route, but I bet Torre would jump at the chance to manage the Sox.....and that would be the only team he probably would go back to managing for......still think his departure from the Yankees irks him, despite the nicey nice the last few years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

fter listening to the presser yesterday and Tito's reaction recently to dumb questions while doing his weekly appearance on WEEI I think that Tito is just burnt out on the "Boston grind".

On the flip side there is going to be a lot of pressure by the ownership group to make changes somewhere and even though the problems may have been more related to personnel construction (GM) the logical guy to go is the field manager. That's just the way it is, you can't fire the players and blowing up a FO where Epstein ends up with 25-40% of the talent following him to his next stop makes no sense.

So this probably wil have a lot of mutual overtones. Sadly, I don't think he is going to be a very easy guy to replace. And much of what he did in game is going to continue with the next guy because that very SABRmetric approach is a RS core philosphy that starts in the owners suite and works down through the organization. And the collapse of 2011 was no afailure of SABRmetrics, it was a failure of starting pitching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking News-Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports: Francona expected to leave Red Sox-your reaction:
    Problem is not between Theo and Terry, it is John Henry and Terry.  John Henry isnt happy the way Francona have managed this year.  So therefore, Terry is unhappy hearing all the verbal complains from Henry.  Now that is the main reason why Terry is leaving!!!  Guess Henry is all over him in past two years!!! Same problem with Theo, John Henry pressured Theo to get Lackey and Crawford cuz Henry didnt want either one to go to the Yankees.  Instead Theo was forced to signed both of them.  That was also what happen with Mark Texeria backing out of Boston's deal cuz John Henry was at the meeting.   I think John Henry is the one screwed up the organization in the last three years.  He got to relax and let these people do the jobs.  They know what they are doing more than John do!!
    Posted by 4079efa6860279c229d23166fa17dfda

Thomas Edison strived to be a tycoon- not an inventor.  He was effectively thrown out of every company he attempted to manage by necessity!  Is Mr. Henry doing his Thomas Edison impression?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Any chnage needs to come from outside the organization or it is a useless change....if the issue is the players....and I think it was, then you need to get new blood to deal with them

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Regarding Tito's comments on the clubhouse atmosphere, I can't wait to see who gets chopped from this team. Clearly there are some bad influencers in that clubhouse. Lackey? Please just get rid of him. Ortiz? Has his head gotten way too big? I hope at some point going forward all of this comes out in the press, I would love to know who quit on Tito.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

They're letting him go with his head up. Make no mistake about it, he is being FIRED, and rightly so!! It's a gain of 8 to 12 games in the standings each and every year. With the teams he's had to work with, they would have equaled or, more than likely, surpassed their records every year with NO manager. Let the players decide who starts and when to replace pitchers and whether or not to play small ball. No doubt in my mind, this is the most positive move they've made since he was hired! GOOD RIDDANCE !!
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Well, it certainly looks like you will get your wish regarding Francona.   If I felt it would make any difference I would agree with you. I'd be much more likely to agree with you if Theo were tossed out as well. 

You keep saying Francona costs them 8-12 games each year.  I am sure he does cost them some, but if we use your numbers then we have to look deeper. Why would any competent GM allow the manager to continually do that?
    I think in our case the answer for me is just as clear as Francona is for you...... Our GM is incompetent, and costs us even more then 8-12 games a year.  Not directly on the field but with the faulty logic he uses to build the team in the first place.
    Please answer me a few questions:
    What exactly did Theo do in this past off season to actually IMPROVE our team? Even if his two big name signings panned out as was expected  was it reasonable to think they were much of an improvement to our line up over who Theo didn't resign from last year's team?
    How did Theo improve our pitching staff year to year?  Why should we have believed Lackey and Dice K were going to be better pitchers this year over last year, beyond the fact that is was hard to believe they could have been worse.
    How well did Theo do in fixing the obvious problem in our middle relief?
    How well did Theo do in helping to shore up a team this year that lost so much of it's starting pitching early on ?
    and this list could go on.......   So:
    From my point of view if Francona has run our team as poorly as you say for so long, I then hold Theo fully responsible for doing nothing about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Regarding Tito's comments on the clubhouse atmosphere, I can't wait to see who gets chopped from this team. Clearly there are some bad influencers in that clubhouse. Lackey? Please just get rid of him. Ortiz? Has his head gotten way too big? I hope at some point going forward all of this comes out in the press, I would love to know who quit on Tito.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Its too bad about the salaries, if this was 1974 they would have already moved 3 or 4 of them out by noon today.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

This year was on Francona and Epstein!! they run the club and the club failed!! not only this year but last year too. 

when the owner spends $400,0000 since 2009 and we don't even have 1 playoff game to show for it? 

It's time for a change!! and should not stop there!! Ortiiz needs to go, When was the last time it drove in a meaningful run? his base running is awful, and he's a major liability when the RS play inter league games. 

The RS need a manager who holds the players responsible for their conditioning and over all play. If a player isn't playing hard all the time, they need to sit their a... on the bench. 

Lastly, no more old over the hill broken down reclamation projects that costs way more then they are worth. 

get some younger players who are playing to prove something!

The minute the RS over pay a player, their play goes right in the toilet. ie: crawford and lackey (not that lakey wasn't crap when the sign him)

I for one say's no more excuses! Look at every position no matter how liked the player is and ask one question, do they help the club or hurt it? If they help it, keep them. If they hurt the club get rid of them, even if you have to eat the contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from iachimo. Show iachimo's posts

If Tito goes...it will be a bit like Joe Torre parting ways with the Yanks. Except I wonder if Red Sox management has the people smarts to replace him with as good a fit as Girardi has proven to be for the Yanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

What happened was this team got to big for themselves. They lost heart, drive, work ethic and formed clicks. In that situation you need a manager who will call out his players, bench veterins, take controll, and Tito tho a great manager is the guy who will protect and trust his players. This team of allstars needs a whip into shape strong leader from here on out. Im dissapointed because I like Francona, but its a good decision 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UPstateNYsoxfan. Show UPstateNYsoxfan's posts

I'm a long time Red Sox fan, 45 years actually. I live in upstate NY and have been a small college basketball coach for 32 years. I don't post here much because no matter what is written it gets torn apart. I'd like to thank Terry Francona for a great 8 years. 8 years where each spring we expected to get to the fall with a chance to win. Last season with all the injuries to key players he kept the team hanging in there all season and did a great job and actually could have been "Manager of the Year'. This year he didn't have them prepared coming out of spring training, they lost 10 in a row to end the spring. You just can't run talent out there and expect to win. The team lacked in areas of fundamentals and smart baseball. They made a lot of mistakes on the bases and in the field. When 1 run could make the difference they didn't seem to be able to make it. They can't and won't stop the running game in the late innings. After the clean up spot in the order the line up was as weak as the Astro's so you need to get creative to scratch out a run here and there. The Wakefield 200 tribute tour cost them 8 games and his handling of the pitchers was not very good. How many times did Paplebon come in with a 4 run or more lead and throw 20 pitches. Those are 20 pitches that he didn't have in September. Lack of lineup changes, guys not running out ground balls, getting thrown out trying to stretch a hit. Leaving pitchers in too long and not kicking some tail when it was needed. So in closing Thank you Tito for 2 memorable moments and best wishes in the future but it's time for a change.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Anyone who thinks he was the problem doesn't understand the game. That said, maybe it's best for him. Tito will stay unemployed for about 10 minutes, and wherever he lands will instantly become my second-favorite team.
    Posted by LloydDobler

If he signs with an American League team, I'll agree with you about that team being my second favorite. The reason is that they will be the easiest team for the Sox to beat.

Sections
Shortcuts