Breaking News: Ryan Braun has won his appeal for suspension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Breaking News: Ryan Braun has won his appeal for suspension

from ESPN.com:

NEW YORK -- National League MVP Ryan Braun's 50-game suspension was overturned Thursday by baseball arbitrator Shyam Das, the first time a baseball player successfully challenged a drug-related penalty in a grievance.

Braun
    Braun

The decision was announced Thursday by the Major League Baseball Players Association, one day before the 28-year-old outfielder was due to report to spring training with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Braun tested positive in October for elevated testosterone, and ESPN revealed the positive test in December.

No reasoning was given for Thursday's decision.

"Today the arbitration panel announced its decision, by a 2-1 vote, to sustain Ryan Braun's grievance challenging his 50-game suspension by the commissioner's office," a statement from the players' association said.

MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred and union head Michael Weiner are part of the arbitration panel, and management and the union almost always split their votes, leaving Das, the independent panel member, to make the decision.

Manfred said management disagreed with the decision by Das. It is the first time a drug suspension has been overturned in a grievance, baseball officials said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Breaking News: Ryan Braun has won his appeal for suspension

This is bullcrap. I am peeved. Unbelievable.  The Arb. Committee was bought imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

There are reports he was prescribed the medication by a physician for a medical condition, which could be as embarrassing if proved to be true and why he appealed.  Regardless, he will forever be associated with PEDS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

my dog ate my homework

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Was there ever an explanation?
     wow mgmt and union split their votes?
    what's the point?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Not being privy to the details of his case, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.  Personally, I'm glad Braun won his appeal because it gives me some hope that he indeed was innocent of any intentional juicing.  This outcome is good news for the sport of baseball, IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

What makes me think the fix was in on this case.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

If MLB doesn't want people to forever look at this as a cover-up, they better provide some details.

As a Sox fan, I'll never forget Ortiz' empty promises after he was reported to be on 'the list'.

To me, MLB could not afford to take a hit from their reigning MVP starting the next season on a 50 game suspension. Of COURSE they'll publicly speak out about it, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Union and League voted together, and ONLY the 3rd, totally objective party ruled to uphold the decision. I'm sure all of that is secret, but unless they provide proof otherwise, this is what I'll always believe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

And as far as I understood, even taking a prescription with a banned substance is not ok. THe player is responsible for what is in his body, period. So I'm thinking there must be some garbage 'bad test' defense?

This wreaks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Remind me again what team Bud Selig used to run?  And who is it that Ryan Braun plays for?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some arbitrators tend to be lenient , much like some judges. Not everything in life is on the level.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

MLB never would have proceeded if they were not 100% sure... players union got to the deciders yet again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First and foremost who gives a rats patoot? I'm just LMAO at all the pundints Kurchjian,Olney,Bowden,and all the other little minions who were all saying there was no way Braun would win the appeal,all those freaking know it alls were WRONG! Good for Braun! Who cares anyways when you look at it in practical terms it's not a really earth shattering story.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

reasonable doubt...thats all you need in our legal system....if he had a prior prescription, then it was an easy choice

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Yes, Good for Brauny............good for common sense.........

Too much testosterone?  C'mon...should baseball be playedby girly-men?  Sometimes I wonder where this present slippery slope is going to end up.........

Too much testosterone is farcial..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

May not have heard the last of this.....comcast sports reporting MLB may appeal the decision. Said he just got off on a technicality because the sample wasn't turned in with the 24 hour time frame...like getting a speeding ticket but getting off because you didn't sign it. Braun didnt challenge the science or the results. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They just don't want Kemp to be given the MVP award.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking News: Ryan Braun has won his appeal for suspension:
    [QUOTE]Was there ever an explanation?  wow mgmt and union split their votes? what's the point?
    Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]The chain of evidence was broken by the sample taker

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

It is being reported in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (www.jsonline.com), that the sample taker missed the FedEx truck, took the samples home and put them in his refrigerator, in violation of the drug testing protocols.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking News: Ryan Braun has won his appeal for suspension:
    J-Bay, yes he did dispute the results.  In fact, the sample taker had other players samples with Braun's and with the delay, Braun contends that the sample was aged leading to a false positive or that the sample attributed to him was not even his!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

ah the old the "glove doesn't fit" alibi.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

He's guility, regardless of winning a Kangaroo Court appeal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I smell a rat; don't underestimate the power of a player's pockets or his shifty high profile laywers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Read carefully:

“It has always been Major League Baseball’s position that no matter who tests positive, we will exhaust all avenues in pursuit of the appropriate discipline. We have been true to that position in every instance, because baseball fans deserve nothing less,” Manfred said. “As a part of our drug testing program, the commissioner’s office and the players’ association agreed to a neutral third-party review for instances that are under dispute. While we have always respected that process, Major League Baseball vehemently disagrees with the decision rendered today by arbitrator Shyam Das.”

I've read everything I can on this, and at NO POINT does MLB make clear how they voted. Everyone ASSUMES they voted to uphold the suspension, but they've been very careful in choosing their words, that makes me wonder.

They could have said, "Disagreed with the decision to overturn the suspension." But they didn't, they just vaguely disagree with his decision.

Very, very odd. Now I'm wondering if missing the FedEx truck wasn't so accidental. Maybe these clowns don't realize, but you can still take it to the FedEx center. Trucks usually finish their pickups around 6-7, centers are often open until 9. This story just doesn't add up. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Furthermore, having worked in the courier industry in the past, I've even had things taken to the FedEx center AT an airport, and been able to get things on a plane minutes before it took off. This is total bs.

Or if true, the level of incompetence is staggering. Apparently MLB lets idiots run something they profess to take very seriously.