BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

Dang, like Dumpster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Ken Rosenthal      

BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for Red Sox in 2014 due to physical reasons and his desire to spend more time with his kids.

Interesting to say the least, you have to wonder but it could be good for the team considering we don't need to pay his salary.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Class act.

[/QUOTE]Yes, he sure is ........  unlike the A-ROIDS of the game !!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Whoa, talk about classy.  This is above and beyond.  I'd always like to be there for ring day, but this year, the crowd is going to go nuts when Dempster gets his.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tom Caron       

Dempster said he's not ready to begin spring work. Said he has "too much respect" for game and teammates to "go out there and half a ss it"

[/QUOTE]

I certainly didn't see this coming.

Very classy of him.

It's a good thing the Sox didn't trade any of their starters this offseason.

I'm in the camp of those who think we should sign Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Put me in the camp of keeping the money in a kitty and seeing what we need in June/July.

Notwithstanding the fact that Kimmi is always right on the rare occasions that we disagree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

2. David Ortiz ‏@davidortiz  34m

Im going to miss my brother dempster during the season l just hear the news and all ready know that we are going to miss a lot of fun

3.   Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe  35m

Clay Buchholz: "There's nothing but respect for Demp. Guy accomplished do much and had friends everywhere." #redsox 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It is very hard to walk away from 13.25 million. Wow. Classy guy.

I remember being an 11-12 year old kid and my Dad turning down a position that would start paying at around 125k a year and by the time I was a senior in high school he'd be making like 150k. Instead he chose to stay where he was for 80-90k a year because of the hours, more time with the family and a job he enjoyed more.

Always a noble choice, yet when we couldn't afford a certain vacation, went with the Honda CR-V instead of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and I was strapped with 65k in students loans I always thought "Jeez Dad, maybe you shoulda taken that promotion' haha.

Obviously those are all first world problems and I should be grateful I had my dad in my life all the time like I am sure Dempster's kids will be grateful. The Sox brass should give the man a 'consulting job' where he can 'work from home' a lot. Do some freelance scouting, set-up reports on tendancies of other teams batters for our pitchers, etc. and pay him like 200k a month for his services as a big THANK YOU  for helping us out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

wow. he could have sat on the DL all year and collected 14M. class act to leave that much money on the table knowing that he wouldn't be able to earn it with his physical issues.
     It helps the sox immensely as they will not have to pay him 14M to be a long man/spot starter and they can now use his entire salary to further help the club. if the sox repeat in 2014, he definitely gets another ring!

farewell dempster, thank you for your contributions to the 2013 (and 2014) clubs and i wish you well in the rest of your life endeavors.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

This actually makes the Peavy trade just that much more important.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Huh. What "physical reasons," I wonder?

Well, Ben's job just got a lot easier.

[/QUOTE]

Addition by subtraction. The SOX are a better team w/o him.

[/QUOTE]

Unles, you know, the guy who replaces him is worse.

And there are A LOT of pitchers worse than Dempster in MLB...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This is why fans who took pleasure in belittling him (Dumpster) when he struggled last year are disgusting. Dempster came here, gave it all, pitched decently the majority of the time and accepted his role whatever it was. The Sox won the World Series with him and he played his role. For that, I'll always be a fan.

He very easily could have come in, struggled then get put on the DL and still earn his money. Class act all the way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is why fans who took pleasure in belittling him (Dumpster) when he struggled last year are disgusting. Dempster came here, gave it all, pitched decently the majority of the time and accepted his role whatever it was. The Sox won the World Series with him and he played his role. For that, I'll always be a fan.

He very easily could have come in, struggled then get put on the DL and still earn his money. Class act all the way.

[/QUOTE]

Some people will find reasons to belittle him even now.  Haters gotta hate. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Class act....not many people would leave that money on the table.  You can bet AROD will come back and get his pay checks no matter how horrible his play becomes.

I hope he is here in April to get his ring, and I hope he gets a huge standing O.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Some people will find reasons to belittle him even now.  Haters gotta hate. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually I might have to belittle him. I mean he left $13.25M on the table. 

WHAT IS HE THINKING. DOESN'T HE HAVE TO FEED HIS FAMILY.Money MouthWink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

As for those who wonder why the Sox didn't deal him or Peavy in the offseason. Maybe the Sox knew something. Dempster might have quietly told the Sox this could be a possibility, which is why they didn't make a move.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So Drew turned down 14.1 in arbitration and made 9.5 million last year. The Sox should split the difference and give him another 1 year at 11.5 million.

The deal comes with a 1 year TEAM option at say 13.5. So the total contract would be 2/25 if the Sox want it to be that way.

The deal can come with a 3 year PLAYER option that Drew has to decide if he'll opt into if the team option is refused. Something like 3 years 16.5 million. So the total deal would be more like 4/28. So Drew gets a chance for long-term security if he wants it.

Drew's team option should have incentives like:

- 250k for over 75 games started, 500k/90, 750k/110, 1 million/125 and 1.5m for 140+ games started

- 1 million if he doesn't go on the season ending IR bumped to 2 million if he doesn't go on the 60 day DL and 3 million if he never has a trip to even the 15 day DL.

- 500k for an all-star game, 750k for a gold glove or silver slugger.

- 250k for an OPS above .720, 500k/.740, 750k/.760, 1 million/.780, 1.25m/.800, 1.5m/.815, 1.75m/.830, 2m/.845, 2.25m/.860 2.5m/.875, 2.75m/.890 3m over .900

So if Drew plays say 130 games at SS in 2015 (never against lefties) betters his career best .836 OPS to .846, never goes on the DL, makes the all-star team and wins the silver slugger/golden glove awards that 5.5 million would turn into the 13.5 million amount the team option the Sox turned was for.

If he just starts around 95 games and makes one or two 15 day DL appearances but no a 60 day DL and improves just a little on the .777 OPS he had last year (up to .782 say) he'd turn the 5.5m base into 9 million.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

As for those who wonder why the Sox didn't deal him or Peavy in the offseason. Maybe the Sox knew something. Dempster might have quietly told the Sox this could be a possibility, which is why they didn't make a move.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

Could have been the Dempster didn't want a diminished role in the bullpen.  He isn't retiring (yet at least) so he leaves himself open to come back in 2015 and pitch for a team.  He might have been hanging around seeing how everyone was coming into camp and if it looked like a rotation spot might open up then that might have changed things.

I firmly believe that if One of our top 5 pitchers had a significant injury coming into spring training that Dempster would still be on this team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   7m

Dempster is a real character. Wore a t-shirt around the clubhouse with a picture of Shakespeare. “This **** writes itself” it said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

Could have been the Dempster didn't want a diminished role in the bullpen.  He isn't retiring (yet at least) so he leaves himself open to come back in 2015 and pitch for a team.  He might have been hanging around seeing how everyone was coming into camp and if it looked like a rotation spot might open up then that might have changed things.

I firmly believe that if One of our top 5 pitchers had a significant injury coming into spring training that Dempster would still be on this team.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that's the case. A guy doesn't leave $13 million on the table for something that flimsy. Even if he did go to the pen, he knows right well that there are injuries and he'd get the chance to start again.

For him to walk away like this, you have to take him at face value. There are honest guys in the world. Not every decision like this has some devious ulterior motive behind it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   7m

Dempster is a real character. Wore a t-shirt around the clubhouse with a picture of Shakespeare. “This **** writes itself” it said.

[/QUOTE]

That's hilarious. I busted out laughing when I read this. I need to find that T-shirt. 

Still can't stop laughing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Boston Red Sox       

Cherington on Dempster: "He was a great teammate & a guy people loved being around. He means a lot to his teammates."

Embedded image permalink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that's the case. A guy doesn't leave $13 million on the table for something that flimsy. Even if he did go to the pen, he knows right well that there are injuries and he'd get the chance to start again.

For him to walk away like this, you have to take him at face value. There are honest guys in the world. Not every decision like this has some devious ulterior motive behind it.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree, if that was the case why wait until the very begining of spring training?  I'm not saying Dempster isn't a class act and a nice guy because I think he is.  It's not just leaving the money on the table but everything that comes with it too.  but you can't tell me that if we lost Jon Lester for the year last week that you don't think Dempster would have made a different decision?

Because I'd say he would still be pitching in 2014 if that happened. 

Sections
Shortcuts