BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

Pete Abraham       

Dempster was 3-2, 4.03 in the 9 starts he made after Buchholz went on the DL last year.

Red Sox won 6 of those games. Came up big for them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

As for those who wonder why the Sox didn't deal him or Peavy in the offseason. Maybe the Sox knew something. Dempster might have quietly told the Sox this could be a possibility, which is why they didn't make a move.

Maybe.

Could have been the Dempster didn't want a diminished role in the bullpen.  He isn't retiring (yet at least) so he leaves himself open to come back in 2015 and pitch for a team.  He might have been hanging around seeing how everyone was coming into camp and if it looked like a rotation spot might open up then that might have changed things.

I firmly believe that if One of our top 5 pitchers had a significant injury coming into spring training that Dempster would still be on this team.

I doubt that's the case. A guy doesn't leave $13 million on the table for something that flimsy. Even if he did go to the pen, he knows right well that there are injuries and he'd get the chance to start again.

For him to walk away like this, you have to take him at face value. There are honest guys in the world. Not every decision like this has some devious ulterior motive behind it.

I disagree, if that was the case why wait until the very begining of spring training?  I'm not saying Dempster isn't a class act and a nice guy because I think he is.  It's not just leaving the money on the table but everything that comes with it too.  but you can't tell me that if we lost Jon Lester for the year last week that you don't think Dempster would have made a different decision?

Because I'd say he would still be pitching in 2014 if that happened. 

First, we don't know what the famly reasons are. And maybe he thought his neck would get better. It had to be a tough position, so he probably agonized awhile before making the decision. That's why I think he told the Sox this could happen, and he was waiting for spring training to see where everything stood.

A guy who would "pout and take his ball and go home" because he was in the bullpen rather than starting, wouldn't be a guy who would walk away from millions of dollars. He would come to spring and "get hurt."

So yes, if Lester got hurt, Dempster likely still would have made the same decision because if part of the reason he did this is because he can't pitch effectively, Lester getting hurt wouldn't change that.

I think you're being way too cynical.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I disagree, if that was the case why wait until the very begining of spring training?  I'm not saying Dempster isn't a class act and a nice guy because I think he is.  It's not just leaving the money on the table but everything that comes with it too.  but you can't tell me that if we lost Jon Lester for the year last week that you don't think Dempster would have made a different decision?

I'm sure Dempster felt freed to make this decision by the knowledge that there were five other healthy starters and he would be the odd man out anyway. If we had just lost Lester or someone else for the year, I imagine he might have felt differently - not because it was an issue of starting vs. going to the bullpen, but because at that point they would need him and he doesn't seem like the type who would knowingly leave the team short-handed. Completely different situation.

(All speculation on my part, of course.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

As for those who wonder why the Sox didn't deal him or Peavy in the offseason. Maybe the Sox knew something. Dempster might have quietly told the Sox this could be a possibility, which is why they didn't make a move.

Maybe.

Could have been the Dempster didn't want a diminished role in the bullpen.  He isn't retiring (yet at least) so he leaves himself open to come back in 2015 and pitch for a team.  He might have been hanging around seeing how everyone was coming into camp and if it looked like a rotation spot might open up then that might have changed things.

I firmly believe that if One of our top 5 pitchers had a significant injury coming into spring training that Dempster would still be on this team.

I doubt that's the case. A guy doesn't leave $13 million on the table for something that flimsy. Even if he did go to the pen, he knows right well that there are injuries and he'd get the chance to start again.

For him to walk away like this, you have to take him at face value. There are honest guys in the world. Not every decision like this has some devious ulterior motive behind it.

First, we don't know what the famly reasons are. And maybe he thought his neck would get better. It had to be a tough position, so he probably agonized awhile before making the decision. That's why I think he told the Sox this could happen, and he was waiting for spring training to see where everything stood.

A guy who would "pout and take his ball and go home" because he was in the bullpen rather than starting, wouldn't be a guy who would walk away from millions of dollars. He would come to spring and "get hurt."

So yes, if Lester got hurt, Dempster likely still would have made the same decision because if part of the reason he did this is because he can't pitch effectively, Lester getting hurt wouldn't change that.

LOL I don't think I'm being cynical I just think you are misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying that is the SOLE reason he made this decision.  I agree with what you just said, I'm sure there were various contributing factors.  But if this was a tough decision for him to make and he was on the fence I'm sure a guranteed spot in the rotation might have swayed him.

In the end that is just my opinion just like your opinion is you own.  Both speculation, and I'd say the fact that I'm well aware of that makes me far from cynical.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Maybe.

LOL I don't think I'm being cynical I just think you are misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying that is the SOLE reason he made this decision.  I agree with what you just said, I'm sure there were various contributing factors.  But if this was a tough decision for him to make and he was on the fence I'm sure a guranteed spot in the rotation might have swayed him.

In the end that is just my opinion just like your opinion is you own.  Both speculation, and I'd say the fact that I'm well aware of that makes me far from cynical.

But my opinion is right and your's is wrong. Why can't you understand that?Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I'm sure Dempster felt freed to make this decision by the knowledge that there were five other healthy starters and he would be the odd man out anyway. If we had just lost Lester or someone else for the year, I imagine he might have felt differently - not because it was an issue of starting vs. going to the bullpen, but because at that point they would need him and he doesn't seem like the type who would knowingly leave the team short-handed. Completely different situation.

(All speculation on my part, of course.)

agreed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Maybe.

But my opinion is right and your's is wrong. Why can't you understand that?Wink

uh-ah....lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to dustcover's comment:

Class act.

Yes, he sure is ........  unlike the A-ROIDS of the game !!!!

Or the Bill-806's.

This is a serious topic on the day that the pitchers & catchers......  Please don't try and add humor to this serious moment !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let me revise my earlier statement, I think this might be more clear and accurate.  It's like that friend who asks you to help him move and you really don't want to and have other plans so you tell him "well if you can't find anyone else to help you I will help, but see if you don't need me first"

I'm sure Dempster didn't want to pitch in the bullpen, and perhaps he did or didn't care about the talk that comes with being a 13 million dollar swing man.  But, it also sounds like he has a lot of things going on with his family, and he also knows that he is not as effective of a pitcher as he once was, and at this point his family needs him more than the team needs him.  At this point family comes first, then again 13 million dollars can go a long way to help your family out too so if the team really needed him and things were different I could see him pitching in 2014.

But regardless of why he is doing what he did, it does seem rare for a guy to walk away from some money.  You will never see AROD walking away from 20 million dollars his last couple seasons....I'd bet on that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber/Boston Herald      

Another memorable Dempster moment: Hooking up soup cans in dugout in Baltimore the day after Ortiz shattered phone. Comic relief

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teebar. Show Teebar's posts

Having dealt with many athletes, as a Neurosurgeon, who had mildly herniated and/or degenerative disc disease in the spine, this presently limited information provides great potential insight as to his longevity and character. This deterioration has been a gradual and progressive problem which has slowly deminished his pitching capabilities (as with Lackey) but as long as he could live up to lesser standards w/o compromising his personal dignity, respect for the game as well as his team-mates about to compete and defend their World Championship title ( A temptation that requires considerable weight in the final decision) obviously shoud be addressed at a site where the merits of his being in Boston to contribute in spite of his medical issues with his "Brothers Of Summer" present, speaks highly of this competitor.The absense of Monetary greed, so much hi-lighted in this day and age, is a refreshing breeze of relief. Appreciate wonderful values in its rare form. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   7m

Dempster is a real character. Wore a t-shirt around the clubhouse with a picture of Shakespeare. “This **** writes itself” it said.

That's hilarious. I busted out laughing when I read this. I need to find that T-shirt. 

Still can't stop laughing.

Me too!  Literally LOL...still!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If I was a RS fan, I would celebrate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

If I was a RS fan, I would celebrate.

We'll let you celebrate with us, steve-o!

:o)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Put me in the camp of keeping the money in a kitty and seeing what we need in June/July.

Notwithstanding the fact that Kimmi is always right on the rare occasions that we disagree.

I have actually been warming up to the idea of Middlebrooks and Bogaerts at 3B/SS.  Reading about how Middlebrooks was in camp early and how he has added some muscle tells me that he seems to be taking his starting role less for granted than he did last year.  While I'm still not convinced that he can handle the job, I am more encouraged than I was.

That said, there is still the concern about the lack of depth at 3B and SS.  What happens if one of them has a serious injury early in the season? 

I also would not want to see Drew sign with the Yankees.

As an aside, it's also good to hear about Doubront coming into camp in great shape this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

As a non Dempster guy, I have to appreciate his candor, and I fully respect his being honest enough not to go through the motions, and take the 13.25 and run! This act initself speaks volumes about the indivigual. I also want to thank him for his run with the Sox, and wish him the very best in whatever endeavor he chooses. Hopefully his year off will allow him to decide his future, and it will be spent getting healthy for whatever lies ahead of him and his family.

As for the Sox they now become players for every FA left on the board. Ben has the extra money necessary to sign a player who could help this team in the long run achieve the ultimate goal of repeating. Drew could be part of the equation or they could turn their attentions towards any of the following players: Cruz, Jimenez, or E. Santana. Or they could stash the money and go with what they have already in the system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   20m

Dempster: “I’ve never had to work a day in my life. … I’ve been able to do what I wanted to do since I was a little kid.” #redsox

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   7m

Dempster is a real character. Wore a t-shirt around the clubhouse with a picture of Shakespeare. “This **** writes itself” it said.

That's hilarious. I busted out laughing when I read this. I need to find that T-shirt. 

Still can't stop laughing.

Me too!  Literally LOL...still!!

http://www.headlineshirts.net/this-shit-writes-itself-t-shirt.html#.

Here it is. Not a bad price, either 

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/83310056/shakespeare-this-shit-writes-itself_tshirt?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=1000148933&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=sem-cpc-product-ads&utm_content=search-pla&productId=1000148933

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Classy move by Dempster and unless we have a run of pitching injuries this is good news for the franchise and our flexibility going forward this year. 

"This is why fans who took pleasure in belittling him (Dumpster) when he struggled last year are disgusting." Yup - softy made a sport of that and it was always classless, and ignorant of the team building mentality he had.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Could have been the Dempster didn't want a diminished role in the bullpen.  He isn't retiring (yet at least) so he leaves himself open to come back in 2015 and pitch for a team. 

I tend to think it could have been a little of both.  After seeing the writing on the wall and realizing he would see limited innings after starting for so many years it had to help sway his decision.  Either way Ryan left the Sox with 13mil to play with which in itself was a class act knowing what it means to the club moving forward.  I doubt we would have got any team to pay that much through trade.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe  10m

Teammate said today that Dempster’s stand-up routine on the microphone during team flights was TV-worthy comedy.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

As a non Dempster guy, I have to appreciate his candor, and I fully respect his being honest enough not to go through the motions, and take the 13.25 and run! This act initself speaks volumes about the indivigual. I also want to thank him for his run with the Sox, and wish him the very best in whatever endeavor he chooses. Hopefully his year off will allow him to decide his future, and it will be spent getting healthy for whatever lies ahead of him and his family.

As for the Sox they now become players for every FA left on the board. Ben has the extra money necessary to sign a player who could help this team in the long run achieve the ultimate goal of repeating. Drew could be part of the equation or they could turn their attentions towards any of the following players: Cruz, Jimenez, or E. Santana. Or they could stash the money and go with what they have already in the system.

Sox sign Drew, they lose Comp Pick, Jimenez or Santana cost the 28th pick and could be higher, dont think so.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You damn clowns that say he'd be there if he had a better shot. His family issue is his daughter has a genetic disorder called degeorge syndrome that affects swallowing, breathing and speech. You have to look it up to see all the things that could be hurting his baby girl.

so before you question the reason check out the facts.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Boston Red Sox

teammates on hand as Ryan Dempster announces he will not pitch in 2014. "I thought long and hard about it."

Is it really necessary to have 20 posts about this when you could have said it in a few? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This is why fans who took pleasure in belittling him (Dumpster) when he struggled last year are disgusting. Dempster came here, gave it all, pitched decently the majority of the time and accepted his role whatever it was. The Sox won the World Series with him and he played his role. For that, I'll always be a fan.

He very easily could have come in, struggled then get put on the DL and still earn his money. Class act all the way.

Some people will find reasons to belittle him even now.  Haters gotta hate. 

Was going to say the same thing.  The Red Sox 'fans' that dislike Dempster probably dislike most of the RS players...

.... and the manager, GM, FO, the city of Boston, etc.

• Sections
    Shortcuts