BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boston Red Sox

teammates on hand as Ryan Dempster announces he will not pitch in 2014. "I thought long and hard about it."

[/QUOTE]

Is it really necessary to have 20 posts about this when you could have said it in a few? 

[/QUOTE]

He/she does this one line posts all the time  he11 I have seen a thread 30 posts long an they were all his/hers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You damn clowns that say he'd be there if he had a better shot. His family issue is his daughter has a genetic disorder called degeorge syndrome that affects swallowing, breathing and speech. You have to look it up to see all the things that could be hurting his baby girl.

so before you question the reason check out the facts.

[/QUOTE]

A little harsh don't you think Jim?  The Dempstars daughter Riley has had this disorder for some time so it doesn't necessariliy mean Demp's sole decision was based on his daughter's health right?  I'm sure there were a lot of things to consider with Ryans future as well. 

We all wish him and his family the best regardless.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You damn clowns that say he'd be there if he had a better shot. His family issue is his daughter has a genetic disorder called degeorge syndrome that affects swallowing, breathing and speech. You have to look it up to see all the things that could be hurting his baby girl.

so before you question the reason check out the facts.

[/QUOTE]

A little harsh don't you think Jim?  The Dempstars daughter Riley has had this disorder for some time so it doesn't necessariliy mean Demp's sole decision was based on his daughter's health right?  I'm sure there were a lot of things to consider with Ryans future as well. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  How many MLB players every year play and have to deal with family members back at home dealing with Cancer or other issues?  Obviously not a majority of them but inherently it is easy to understand that there must be dozens every year.

Of course it must be a large contributing factor, but it isn't solely the only reason.  You have to weight the pros and cons....if you aren't contributing to a team as much and your role has been diminished and you are weighing that against being with your family then yes, it is a reason but so are the other things as well.  This is what we are saying, is that it is likely everything he is weighing together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I was a RS fan, I would celebrate.

[/QUOTE]

We'll let you celebrate with us, steve-o!

:o)

[/QUOTE]

I didn't completely understand the circumstances; as a result, I am ashamed, and retract my comments.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Any way you look at it, Dempster looks like a class act.  Helping w his daughter.  Walking away from 13+! Million.  He could have pulled a manny.  Pulled a Nomi.  Pulled a Jake.  You name it.  Instead, out of respect for the organization, fans, teammates, family, himself....  he walked away from guaranteed $$$$$$. 

I wish him & his family nothing but the best!!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Why so angry, Jim...?

Dempster's daughter's condition is very, very sad, and it must weigh on him constantly. However, it's also a situation that has been ongoing for the last few years and has not kept him from signing new contracts, etc. None of the media reports I've read today have mentioned it as the sole cause of him leaving...most have focused on his physical issues and the fact that he just didn't feel he could pitch as effectively as in the past.

So I don't see how it's illegitimate for people to discuss and speculate on Dempster's reasons for leaving now. No one is criticizing or attacking him for it...quite the reverse, if anything, which is as it should be. This seems to be a rare instance where the best interests of the player, his family, and the organization are all aligned, and every Red Sox fan ought to commend him for what he did today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He could have pulled a Nomar and pretended he hurt himself in ST.

Dempster is class.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What ever the reasons behinds Dempster's decision and I'm pretty sure none of us will really know, let's quit with all the hypocrisy. Most on this board wanted him traded and most on this board are secretly glad he's not pitching in 2014 and the 13 mill can be spent elsewhere. Just thought it was a good time to add some truth and reality to the situation.

And, yes, it was a CLASSY move on Dempster's part.

[/QUOTE]

Of course most are glad about him not pitching & freeing up the$$$$$.   Thought that went without saying.  It was a bad signing.  He knew it.  He just bailed us out.  Probably part of his subconscious calculus.  

Classy guy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

thanks craze

U save us from having to look that up

that certainly was the 1st thing that came 2 mind

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Exactly.  How many MLB players every year play and have to deal with family members back at home dealing with Cancer or other issues? 

maybe I wrong but it has always seemed to me

that these great athletes have an extra amount of

such issues in there families

either being sick or handicapped in some way

stand by 4 more speculation

Could have been the Dempster didn't want a diminished role in the bullpen

thought about that it some makes sense

but I can't get past the part where

I'm pretty sure he would have been traded

I can't C the sox paying a long man /extra starter that kind of money

while they have other options

then again maybe dempster disagrees

eitherway I tip my hat to him for not 'just taking the money '

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What ever the reasons behinds Dempster's decision and I'm pretty sure none of us will really know, let's quit with all the hypocrisy. Most on this board wanted him traded and most on this board are secretly glad he's not pitching in 2014 and the 13 mill can be spent elsewhere. Just thought it was a good time to add some truth and reality to the situation.

[/QUOTE]

Of course most are glad about him not pitching & freeing up the$$$$$.   Thought that went without saying.  It was a bad signing.  He knew it.  He just bailed us out.  Probably part of his subconscious calculus.  

Classy guy!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is it. Dempster said "Man they overpaid me. what a bad signing I am. I think I will sit the year out and forfeit 13 million because I stink".

Duh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Classy guy!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is it. Dempster said "Man they overpaid me. what a bad signing I am. I think I will sit the year out and forfeit 13 million because I stink".

Duh.

[/QUOTE]

You clearly have contempt for unqualified amateur psychology!

Sounds like a you problem?

I suppose you would also have a problem with brow beating your son in an attemptto motivate him in sports?

Who looks foolish now!?!?!?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

let's quit with all the hypocrisy. Most on this board wanted him traded and most on this board are secretly glad he's not pitching in 2014 and the 13 mill can be spent elsewhere.

Uh...yeah. I think most here would readily admit that this works out in the team's favor and resolves an issue that had to be dealt with anyway. But I don't see the hypocrisy. Contrary to popular opinion around here, you can advocate that a player be traded or opine that they are overpaid without hating that player personally or wishing them ill.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Shane Victorino ‏@ShaneVictorino   27m

Sending best wishes to @RyanDempsterFDN. Always making us laugh in the clubhouse and a tough competitor. Gonna miss that guy!

@RyanDempsterFDN

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all their support over the years. Hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did. RD

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Seems like a good guy. Be nice to have him in the clubhouse. Solves the logjam at SP though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Classy guy!

[/QUOTE]

Duh.

[/QUOTE]

I suppose you would also have a problem with brow beating your son in an attemptto motivate him in sports?

[/QUOTE]

Calm down. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Classy guy!

[/QUOTE]

Duh.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Calm down. 

[/QUOTE]

Dude?  you had a great sense of humor under your last moniker?  What happened to you?  Now you can't even spot obvious self-effacing humor.

Calm down?   LOL

you may want to re-read my post with a lighter heart?

lighten up Francis ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

henceforth, I shall swear off taking potschots at myself.  Clearly, some folks will not tolerate any attack on the redsoxdirtdog, as he is so beloved.  I apologize!  And will never attack this great and adored member of RSN.  He is beyond reproach!  

Again....  My sincerest apologies!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Thank you Ryan Dempster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Dempster on Red Sox Report right now

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Sounds like his health & not feeling physically ready was tops on his list.  Spending more time with kids a very close second.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I wish him well. I have always thought he was a class act and although at the time most of the posters in this forum didn't agree with me..I thought it was great when he let A-Roid have it. He is a class act who clearly loves the sport of baseball.

In this day and age when we are forced to listen to prima donna players whine about "feeding their family" when negotiating their millions...it is refreshing to see a person with character who is not going to milk a season or half a season on the DL when he knows he doesn't have what it takes physically or mentally to do right by his teammates.

A couple of things are pretty clear from following Twitter. His teammates think the world of him....and Dempster has probably thrown his last major league pitch. I wish him and his family well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Classy guy!

[/QUOTE]

Duh.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Calm down. 

[/QUOTE]

Dude?  you had a great sense of humor under your last moniker?  What happened to you?  Now you can't even spot obvious self-effacing humor.

Calm down?   LOL

you may want to re-read my post with a lighter heart?

lighten up Francis ;)

[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude...point taken.

I think the snow is getting to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

always liked this guy even when he wasnt what we expected in 2013...class act and kudos to Ben for finding and signing players like this

Ben knows...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Boston Globe Sports       

"It came out of left field,"Red Sox GM said of Ryan Dempster's decision to skip this season

Sections
Shortcuts