BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014

Thanks Demp

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What ever the reasons behinds Dempster's decision and I'm pretty sure none of us will really know, let's quit with all the hypocrisy. Most on this board wanted him traded and most on this board are secretly glad he's not pitching in 2014 and the 13 mill can be spent elsewhere. Just thought it was a good time to add some truth and reality to the situation.

And, yes, it was a CLASSY move on Dempster's part.

[/QUOTE]

Of course most are glad about him not pitching & freeing up the$$$$$.   Thought that went without saying.  It was a bad signing.  He knew it.  He just bailed us out.  Probably part of his subconscious calculus.  

Classy guy!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is it. Dempster said "Man they overpaid me. what a bad signing I am. I think I will sit the year out and forfeit 13 million because I stink".

Duh.

[/QUOTE]

You clearly have contempt for unqualified amateur psychology!

Sounds like a you problem?

I suppose you would also have a problem with brow beating your son in an attemptto motivate him in sports?

Who looks foolish now!?!?!?

[/QUOTE]

Calm down. 

[/QUOTE]

Dude?  you had a great sense of humor under your last moniker?  What happened to you?  Now you can't even spot obvious self-effacing humor.

Calm down?   LOL

you may want to re-read my post with a lighter heart?

lighten up Francis ;)

[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude...point taken.

I think the snow is getting to me.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  No worries My friend.  At least I know I'm not losing my edge.  I'm perhaps the most misunderstood guy on this board.  A remarkable ability to come off the wrong way.  I get a bit too facetious for my own good.  My non sequiturs are legendary.  My wife doesn't understand me half the time, but that all works out, as she's learned to ignore me well over half the time.  I actually come out on top of that one, what with all the stupid things I say.

go sox!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You damn clowns that say he'd be there if he had a better shot. His family issue is his daughter has a genetic disorder called degeorge syndrome that affects swallowing, breathing and speech. You have to look it up to see all the things that could be hurting his baby girl.

so before you question the reason check out the facts.

[/QUOTE]

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

the one thing i'll add to his being a 'class act' is that he waited until pitcher & catchrs reported to ST so he could make the announcement with his teammates there. Shows how important that was. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I read in an AP story that Dempster did indeed talk to the team a few weeks ago about taking the season off. So this didn't blindside the front office.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I guess I can quit trying to gauge Ryan Dempster's trade value.

Dempster left a good impression when I had front-row seats behind homeplate at a Spring Training game in 2008:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2008_03_09_chnmlb_kcamlb_1

I wish Dempster the best in life.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Without all of the bird seed:  Dempster was not a good signing. Too much money for a guy who is basically a dime a dozen mediocrity. He was not likely to beat out Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront or Peavy for a spot in the rotation. Not to mention the young prospects looking for their opportunity. He had very limited trade value. The money saved on his salary can certainly be put to better use. That said, he seems like a good guy, a good teammate and a good family man. Whatever his reasons for leaving, we should wish him the best.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Without all of the bird seed:  Dempster was not a good signing. Too much money for a guy who is basically a dime a dozen mediocrity. He was not likely to beat out Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront or Peavy for a spot in the rotation. Not to mention the young prospects looking for their opportunity. He had very limited trade value. The money saved on his salary can certainly be put to better use. That said, he seems like a good guy, a good teammate and a good family man. Whatever his reasons for leaving, we should wish him the best.

[/QUOTE]

Good thoughts.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.   I try.   Well, at least sometimes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

After having watched him on NESN tonight he strikes me as being a very genuine, honest person.  He realizes where he is in life, what his priorities are and knows he has enough money to last him forever (as far as he is concerned) so he's getting out while he's on top.

Good enough for him.  He should be a role model for pro athletes everywhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I sincerely doubt  that all of the Dempster haters during the 2013 season were actual Red Sox fans. 

[/QUOTE] Jose just because there were many haters myself included doesn't make me or anyone else who would have preferred another Starting Pitcher other than Dempster any less a Red Sox fan than you! In fact I have been a loyal Red Sox fan for over 50 years, in those 50 + years there have been many players that have donned the Uniform that represents the city of Boston and I'll say this there have been many I wished never wore a Sox uni. I might be weird but I just didn't think he fit the ballpark with his pitching style. Unlike my disdain for Roger Clemens which will never subside! That guy was trailer trash. With absolutely no class!!!!! Also as a fan who has probably seen more games in Fenway than most I like to think I have a decent amount of knowledge pertaining to the type of pitcher who will be successful in Fenway. Ryan wasn't and conversely Roger was, if you want irony Roger never won a ring playing for the Sox and Ryan did....Takes at least 25 guys to jell to win a championship, and Ryan Dempster regardless as to whether he ever throws another pitch in baseball or not, he can say he contributed to a World Championship Team!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Dempster just put himself solidly on my class act list.  That....  Well, you just don't see that much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I think Ryan is just a truly nice guy. He's Canadian, right? Aren't they all nice guys up there? It seems that way to me. I also believe he made the best decision for him and his family, which is all that really matters.

Thank you, Ryan Dempster. You are a class act, and I'm sure the team will miss you along with the fans. My best to you and your family.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I would like to wish Ryan and his family all the best and will pray for his daughter's speedy recovery from what sounds like a debilitating illness. In hindsight knowing that Dempster played with a heavy heart for most of last year due to his daughters illness. Once again reminds us that even those fortunate enough to play professional sports are not protected from life's realities. There's no pain deeper, than that of your child. No more helpless feeling, than knowing that you can't do anything to ease the burden. Unconditional love comes with a price. 

While he himself would say that his on filed performance last year was disappointing and worthy of critisism. To his credit he continued to take the ball every five days and gave his team everything he had. His greatest asset was his character and professionalism. While he did fall short on the field. He more than delivered in the clubhouse leading by example and was an intergral part of a group of players that were brought in to help change the club house culture. A mission that ended with the team far exceeding expectation. Make no mistake about, Dempster played a huge role in helping to create a championship environment. Just another example of how even the best stat heads have yet to unlock the secret of the cause and effect that intangibles have on the sum of the parts. 

To all those that were his detractors due to his not delivering to expectations last year. There's no need to apologize, but perhaps one might chose to use less defaming terms when expressing thier disappointment. In baseball many of us are conditioned to use terms like "bum" to express our disappointment in a player, manager or umpirer's performance. We boo in full throat with one voice at the park to express our disapointment when the results are less than. Often though, we do so with out all of the facts. Cleary in the case of Ryan Dempster we the fans through no fault of our own were in the dark about his personal life struggles and as such, it does lessen the burden of our collective venom. It doesn't however excuse those that chose to attack his character. On the field he was a bum, off the field he was a leader. 

Today when he rises, he will do so with a heavy heart as a husband and a father with a child stricken by illness. His baseball career will quickly fade to black, his parental responsibility is is a lifelong commitment to unconditional love...A job, that he cleary has the intangibles to one day be a hall of famer at...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Ryan is just a truly nice guy. He's Canadian, right? Aren't they all nice guys up there?

[/QUOTE]

LOL, yes, most of us are.

The last big-name Canuck player for the Sox was also a very nice guy - Jason Bay.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

• The Red Sox are making plans now that Ryan Dempster and his salary are out of the equation for 2014, writes CSNNE.com's Sean McAdam. McAdam writes that the Red Sox have known about Dempster's decision for the past two weeks and have been looking for a veteran free agent pitcher, but probably one who would start the season at Triple-A and provide depth. The Red Sox could also save Dempster's salary for a trade-deadline acquisition.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/nl-east-notes-heyward-mets-phillies.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah. And if that's the case, this really shows some character and class on his part, IMO. It would have been easy to mail it in this year and collect the $13 million, but instead he is walking away.

[/QUOTE]

THIS

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

The conspiracy theorist in me just has to wonder if Ryan Dempster's Fundraising account will receive an "anonymous" $10MM donation at some point this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I read Ben's now looking to add a veteran SP who would sign as a depth and start the season in the minor.  Jair Jurrjens or Jeff Niemann could be strong candidates.  I personally want to see Ben signing Johan Santana with minor league deal with incentives if he pitches in the major.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To all those that were his detractors due to his not delivering to expectations last year. There's no need to apologize, but perhaps one might chose to use less defaming terms when expressing thier disappointment. In baseball many of us are conditioned to use terms like "bum" to express our disappointment in a player, manager or umpirer's performance. We boo in full throat with one voice at the park to express our disapointment when the results are less than. Often though, we do so with out all of the facts. Cleary in the case of Ryan Dempster we the fans through no fault of our own were in the dark about his personal life struggles and as such, it does lessen the burden of our collective venom. It doesn't however excuse those that chose to attack his character. On the field he was a bum, off the field he was a leader. 

I was against the signing from day one, even though I am a huge pitching advocate.

Dempster did meet my "expectations", but it appears mine were lower than many here.

I don't think I've ever called any Sox player a bum. Dempster was not a bum- on or off the field. My only beef was the salary paid for the performance received. Now, that issue is resolved.

I wish the very best for Ryan and his family. He's a classy guy that deserves some time off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was against the signing from day one, even though I am a huge pitching advocate.

Dempster did meet my "expectations", but it appears mine were lower than many here.

I don't think I've ever called any Sox player a bum. Dempster was not a bum- on or off the field. My only beef was the salary paid for the performance received. Now, that issue is resolved.

I wish the very best for Ryan and his family. He's a classy guy that deserves some time off.

[/QUOTE]

I was on board with the same thoughts moon.  I couldn't believe the signing and never thought for a minute it would help us in the win/loss column.  In the clubhouse and off the field Dempster was a class act but he simply didn't have much left in the tank.  When you begin to age and lose a couple of MPH on your fastball you need to learn how to hit spots to have any chance of extending your career.  Throwing balls down the center of the plate that batters are sitting on when your off speed stuff isn't working will get you in trouble almost every time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was on board with the same thoughts moon.  I couldn't believe the signing and never thought for a minute it would help us in the win/loss column.  In the clubhouse and off the field Dempster was a class act but he simply didn't have much left in the tank.  When you begin to age and lose a couple of MPH on your fastball you need to learn how to hit spots to have any chance of extending your career.  Throwing balls down the center of the plate that batters are sitting on when your off speed stuff isn't working will get you in trouble almost every time.

[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, we are living in a world that a team pays over $150M to a pitcher who never pitched an inning in the major league.  Comparing Dempster's contract to that and now this, Dempster's contract wasn't that bad.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, we are living in a world that a team pays over $150M to a pitcher who never pitched an inning in the major league.  Comparing Dempster's contract to that and now this, Dempster's contract wasn't that bad.  

[/QUOTE]

Amen!!!