Breaking: The PJ Denies Parhunter55's First True Report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Breaking: The PJ Denies Parhunter55's First True Report

Felix Doubront - BOS Felix Doubront spent the winter focusing on cardio work to increase his stamina and leg strength, and strives to pitch 200 innings during the 2013 season.
    Doubront is coming off a career-high 161 innings from a season ago, and is already experiencing some weakness in his throwing shoulder early in spring camp. As long as he's healthy, Doubront possesses strong strikeout ability and could be a solid sleeper in the later rounds of fantasy drafts.
    Source: Providence Journal Feb.

The world awaits how Parhunter is going to respond.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Breaking: The PJ Denies Parhunter55's First True Report

If you read the whole article it totally confirms that Doubront came to camp out of shape.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Lou Merloni had a similar impression ...

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Lou-Merlonis-first-impressions-from-Ft-M?blockID=831133&feedID=10430

There's video on this one - Doubrount does look like he has a bit of a gut.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In that regard, the Red Sox aren't exactly thrilled with Doubront right now. Physically, he more closely resembles the pitcher who came into camp out of shape in 2011 than the one motivated to earn a rotation spot last year. He's already on the sidelines for precautionary reasons with some shoulder soreness.

Cherington more or less confirmed that Doubront didn't arrive to Fort Myers in optimal shape.

"When he's with us and we're asking him to do stuff, he always does it with high intensity," Cherington said. "There's plenty of time between now and Opening Day for him to do what he needs to do to put himself in a position to be one of our starters and a guy we can rely on."

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Doubront was in the outfield tossing at 60 feet yesterday and today. Did any ST reporters ever write columns on El Guapo or David Wells coming to camp with a bit of belly over their belt. Why the attempt for irrational drama here? How many threads is this non-story going to get? How about an update on Brentz without calling him stupid?

If it wasn't for the fact that Doubront also came to camp out of shape in 2011, and that it negatively affected his ability to be part of the rotation that year, this wouldn't be as much of a story.  The fact is a number of the Red Sox beat reporters are saying that the team isn't happy about this.  So it's a story whether we like it or not.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Doing my daily optimism chants, but think we are in for a battle for this team to stay healthy.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Doubront was in the outfield tossing at 60 feet yesterday and today. Did any ST reporters ever write columns on El Guapo or David Wells coming to camp with a bit of belly over their belt. Why the attempt for irrational drama here? How many threads is this non-story going to get? How about an update on Brentz without calling him stupid?

Um, yeah ... all the time.  It was a constant source of conversation and concern dealing with Wells.  I can't say I remember the same for El Guapo, but I don't remember everything ...

I do have to say something about ST, though.  It seems some have forgotten the original need for ST.  Back in the day when pro players had to have off season jobs due to the fact they weren't earning a living salary playing the game, ST was needed to get the guys in shape. 

Nowadays there really isn't a need for the second income so ball players really ought to show up in shape.  However, it is a lot easier getting in shape with team mates around and in a daily program than by one's self - at least it was for me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

a little bit of gut isnt the end of the world....but it does say something about the player's desire...a player like Beckett with a long history of success can get away with that - FD not so much...I still dont get how any young athlete invited to be on a pro roster doesnt hit the ground running with so much at stake...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Lou Merloni had a similar impression ...

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Lou-Merlonis-first-impressions-from-Ft-M?blockID=831133&feedID=10430

There's video on this one - Doubrount does look like he has a bit of a gut.

It looks like a little bit of a gut, but it is too little to determine his conditioning.  He could've been strapped to the couch, or have been in the gym every day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Doubrant's off-season diet included the Breakfast of Champions.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Aceves throwing meatballs during BP today.....Nieves and Farrell had to tell him to pitch...

can't wait for Pike's spin on this.

He will write a spaghetti twist.  To go with those meatballs, of course.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Had the Red Sox given more innings to Doubrant, in prior years when he was getting very little, he would be further along in his development. But the fans wanted to see Wastefield chase some silly individual record of quantity and not quality.

Dad & BILL-806 concur with SOFTY , again !!!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"I still dont get how any young athlete invited to be on a pro roster doesnt hit the ground running with so much at stake..."

As many have said, there is plenty of time during ST for Doubront to get in shape and to be ready to go on Opening Day.  And I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he will be ready to go by then.

That said, I agree with the above statement.  Doubront already lost out on a chance to help the team in 2011 by coming to camp out of shape.  If the reports are true that the coaches are aren't happy with his off season conditioning, then I find his lackadaisical attitude a little disconcerting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

nice link

gotta put the blame on management

for not explaining that pitching batting practice

doesn't mean pitching batting practice

25. This post has been removed.