Breaking: The PJ Denies Parhunter55's First True Report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Breaking: The PJ Denies Parhunter55's First True Report

Felix Doubront - BOS Felix Doubront spent the winter focusing on cardio work to increase his stamina and leg strength, and strives to pitch 200 innings during the 2013 season.
    Doubront is coming off a career-high 161 innings from a season ago, and is already experiencing some weakness in his throwing shoulder early in spring camp. As long as he's healthy, Doubront possesses strong strikeout ability and could be a solid sleeper in the later rounds of fantasy drafts.
    Source: Providence Journal Feb.

The world awaits how Parhunter is going to respond.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Breaking: The PJ Denies Parhunter55's First True Report

If you read the whole article it totally confirms that Doubront came to camp out of shape.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Lou Merloni had a similar impression ...

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Lou-Merlonis-first-impressions-from-Ft-M?blockID=831133&feedID=10430

There's video on this one - Doubrount does look like he has a bit of a gut.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In that regard, the Red Sox aren't exactly thrilled with Doubront right now. Physically, he more closely resembles the pitcher who came into camp out of shape in 2011 than the one motivated to earn a rotation spot last year. He's already on the sidelines for precautionary reasons with some shoulder soreness.

Cherington more or less confirmed that Doubront didn't arrive to Fort Myers in optimal shape.

"When he's with us and we're asking him to do stuff, he always does it with high intensity," Cherington said. "There's plenty of time between now and Opening Day for him to do what he needs to do to put himself in a position to be one of our starters and a guy we can rely on."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Doubront was in the outfield tossing at 60 feet yesterday and today. Did any ST reporters ever write columns on El Guapo or David Wells coming to camp with a bit of belly over their belt. Why the attempt for irrational drama here? How many threads is this non-story going to get? How about an update on Brentz without calling him stupid?

If it wasn't for the fact that Doubront also came to camp out of shape in 2011, and that it negatively affected his ability to be part of the rotation that year, this wouldn't be as much of a story.  The fact is a number of the Red Sox beat reporters are saying that the team isn't happy about this.  So it's a story whether we like it or not.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Doing my daily optimism chants, but think we are in for a battle for this team to stay healthy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Doubront was in the outfield tossing at 60 feet yesterday and today. Did any ST reporters ever write columns on El Guapo or David Wells coming to camp with a bit of belly over their belt. Why the attempt for irrational drama here? How many threads is this non-story going to get? How about an update on Brentz without calling him stupid?

Um, yeah ... all the time.  It was a constant source of conversation and concern dealing with Wells.  I can't say I remember the same for El Guapo, but I don't remember everything ...

I do have to say something about ST, though.  It seems some have forgotten the original need for ST.  Back in the day when pro players had to have off season jobs due to the fact they weren't earning a living salary playing the game, ST was needed to get the guys in shape. 

Nowadays there really isn't a need for the second income so ball players really ought to show up in shape.  However, it is a lot easier getting in shape with team mates around and in a daily program than by one's self - at least it was for me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

a little bit of gut isnt the end of the world....but it does say something about the player's desire...a player like Beckett with a long history of success can get away with that - FD not so much...I still dont get how any young athlete invited to be on a pro roster doesnt hit the ground running with so much at stake...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Lou Merloni had a similar impression ...

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Lou-Merlonis-first-impressions-from-Ft-M?blockID=831133&feedID=10430

There's video on this one - Doubrount does look like he has a bit of a gut.

It looks like a little bit of a gut, but it is too little to determine his conditioning.  He could've been strapped to the couch, or have been in the gym every day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Doubrant's off-season diet included the Breakfast of Champions.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Aceves throwing meatballs during BP today.....Nieves and Farrell had to tell him to pitch...

can't wait for Pike's spin on this.

He will write a spaghetti twist.  To go with those meatballs, of course.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Had the Red Sox given more innings to Doubrant, in prior years when he was getting very little, he would be further along in his development. But the fans wanted to see Wastefield chase some silly individual record of quantity and not quality.

Dad & BILL-806 concur with SOFTY , again !!!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"I still dont get how any young athlete invited to be on a pro roster doesnt hit the ground running with so much at stake..."

As many have said, there is plenty of time during ST for Doubront to get in shape and to be ready to go on Opening Day.  And I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he will be ready to go by then.

That said, I agree with the above statement.  Doubront already lost out on a chance to help the team in 2011 by coming to camp out of shape.  If the reports are true that the coaches are aren't happy with his off season conditioning, then I find his lackadaisical attitude a little disconcerting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

nice link

gotta put the blame on management

for not explaining that pitching batting practice

doesn't mean pitching batting practice

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Felix Doubront - BOS Felix Doubront spent the winter focusing on cardio work to increase his stamina and leg strength, and strives to pitch 200 innings during the 2013 season.
    Doubront is coming off a career-high 161 innings from a season ago, and is already experiencing some weakness in his throwing shoulder early in spring camp. As long as he's healthy, Doubront possesses strong strikeout ability and could be a solid sleeper in the later rounds of fantasy drafts.

Since you and the world are waiting, I will respond.  I had laready read the blurb you cited and it seemed somewhat self-contradictory.  Hard to imagine he focused on cardio and showed up out of shape.  Usually folks who work on cardio lose weight and waist size, not gain them.  Perhaps the most important line is:  "As long as he's healthy..."  Even the PJ writer is expressing doubts that he will, in fact, stay healthy.

And that is the real point of my original post.  As the blurb you cited points out, Doubront pitched 161 ML innings in 2012.  He pitched 10 the previous season.  Counting the 77 he pitched at Pawtucket, Doubront pitched 87 innings in 2011 and 161 in 2012.  This make him a big injury risk in 2013, according to some experts, lack of conditioning aside.

On top of that, to add context to my original proposition (to trade Doubront now, and sign Lohse), Doubront has never had an era under 4.30 in the majors.  Right now he is a competent #5 at best with potential to improve (less potential than De LaRosa, Webster, Barnes, and Wright, let alone Morales and Aceves).  At worst he is an injury risk with questionable commitment to conditioning.

Nothing in the blurb you cited changes that, or my opinion that the Sox would be a better team if they had Lohse in the rotation, and could trade Doubront for a decent prospect (to make up for the loss of the 2nd round pick). 

What I find most curious is that my idea for improving the team created little buzz and discussion.  Instead, I got heat for how I titled the piece (from a humorless Selenium) and grief about whether Doubront really did show up out of shape, when all I ever said was that it was reported he showed up to camp out of shape.  A fact that has been reiterated by numerous other reports, and acknowledged by no less than the GM himself!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Since you and the world are waiting, I will respond.  I had laready read the blurb you cited and it seemed somewhat self-contradictory.  Hard to imagine he focused on cardio and showed up out of shape.  Usually folks who work on cardio lose weight and waist size, not gain them.  Perhaps the most important line is:  "As long as he's healthy..."  Even the PJ writer is expressing doubts that he will, in fact, stay healthy.

And that is the real point of my original post.  As the blurb you cited points out, Doubront pitched 161 ML innings in 2012.  He pitched 10 the previous season.  Counting the 77 he pitched at Pawtucket, Doubront pitched 87 innings in 2011 and 161 in 2012.  This make him a big injury risk in 2013, according to some experts, lack of conditioning aside.

On top of that, to add context to my original proposition (to trade Doubront now, and sign Lohse), Doubront has never had an era under 4.30 in the majors.  Right now he is a competent #5 at best with potential to improve (less potential than De LaRosa, Webster, Barnes, and Wright, let alone Morales and Aceves).  At worst he is an injury risk with questionable commitment to conditioning.

Nothing in the blurb you cited changes that, or my opinion that the Sox would be a better team if they had Lohse in the rotation, and could trade Doubront for a decent prospect (to make up for the loss of the 2nd round pick). 

What I find most curious is that my idea for improving the team created little buzz and discussion.  Instead, I got heat for how I titled the piece (from a humorless Selenium) and grief about whether Doubront really did show up out of shape, when all I ever said was that it was reported he showed up to camp out of shape.  A fact that has been reiterated by numerous other reports, and acknowledged by no less than the GM himself!!

I suggested trading Doubront several times as part of a bigger package this winter, and usually I was shot down by many posters claiming that Doubie had so much upside, and that we should hope the coming to camp out of shape in 2011- the season of his first chance to make a ballplayer of himself- was not an indication of a poor attitude or a red flag that should be dealt with.

However, almost everytime I mention trading for a player from another team, many of the same posters cite the attiude issues of the players or the high ERAs or WHIPs, etc...

I'm hoping for the best here, but the red flag went up in 2011, his 2012 season was not as great as many here think it was, and here it is 2013, and some of us are wondering why history might be repeating itself. A small few are continuing to keep their heads in the sand and calling it "being a true fan".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

My god!  The gotchgirls never stop!  He said, she said BS!

Before mid-season last year, I was starting to get a bit excited about Dubbie.  Looks like it was just a tease?  I'm getting tired of head-cases!  How a guy his age can't get excited enough about his own clear potential is beyond me.  Sometimes youth really is wasted on the wrong people.  In Dubbie's case, where he's blowing smoke, there seems to be NO FIRE.  I agree with Moon, he probably should have been dealt???

I'll hope for the best, but if the kid really does seem to be in lousy shape 3 weeks from now, he's likely going to be a waste of space.  NOT GOOD!  As we need all the SPing we can get!

I'm really trying to stay positive, but this cou!ld be another cluster puck!

As our SPing goes, so goes the season.  The scary part?  My big hopes are resting on Lackey!  The same guy I've been hammering for 3 years.......  Could be a very long season!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's almost always about the SP'ing, and this season promises no better than the past 5 seasons.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but we should have just gone all out for 2014 and beyond.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I suggested trading Doubront several times as part of a bigger package this winter, and usually I was shot down by many posters claiming that Doubie had so much upside, and that we should hope the coming to camp out of shape in 2011- the season of his first chance to make a ballplayer of himself- was not an indication of a poor attitude or a red flag that should be dealt with.

However, almost everytime I mention trading for a player from another team, many of the same posters cite the attiude issues of the players or the high ERAs or WHIPs, etc...

I'm hoping for the best here, but the red flag went up in 2011, his 2012 season was not as great as many here think it was, and here it is 2013, and some of us are wondering why history might be repeating itself. A small few are continuing to keep their heads in the sand and calling it "being a true fan".

I'm pretty sure nobody said his 2012 season was great.  His ERA was just under 5 so obviously it wasn't great.  The upsides were his 15 Quality Starts, his 9.3 K's per IP and his strong finish.

For a lefthander's first full season pitching in Boston there was enough there to show potential to be a solid starter.  His numbers compare favorably to Jon Lester's at the same stage.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I certainly didnt want to see him traded. I didnt think he was an AS pitcher, but thought he did enough in 2012 to be optimistic about his future. I was Giving him the benefit of the doubt after he saw what coming into camp out of shape will do to you in 2011. He rebounded and had a very good season and it looked like his future was very promising. I didnt want to trade that away.

Its a little disappointing seeing his physical appearance in camp this year. I hope he can work extra hard to get in the shape he needs to be in. Pitching almost twice the amount of innings he did in 2011, hes already a candidate for time on the DL with arm issues. You would think he would have gone the extra mile this off season and come into camp in no less than tip top condition. He didnt.

Sections
Shortcuts