Brentz explains injury, still on track for possible 2013 MLB debut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brentz explains injury, still on track for possible 2013 MLB debut

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/25525/brentz-100-percent-after-gunshot-wound

Good article on Brentz. Both he and JBJ could be ready for a mid-season call-up if needed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Brentz explains injury, still on track for possible 2013 MLB debut

Good Article on Brentz.  I like him, even with that bone-head move, I still like him.  People make dumb mistakes (I know I do).  All you can really do some times is just count your blessings and be thankful things weren't as bad as they could have been.  I've heard mixed reports on what type of player Brentz projects to be at the MLB level.  I've heard a lot of talk of him stalling, not being able to be more than a high strikeout low walk decent power guy. (in the mode of Jeff Franceour) His defense is average, not great nor horrible but it does look like he has a good arm.  If he can improve his approach at the plate I can see him hitting his ceiling and stretching it a bit upward (that may be the Homer in me) After struggling he really turned it on in Pawtucket at the end of the season last year.

Don't get me wrong I don't think there is anything wrong about that projection.  That is still VERY valuable to a team at a league minimum salary.

Brentz will definitely be a call up at some point this year.  It will be interesting to see how he does.  Scouting reports and minor league stats can only show us and tell us so much.  When it comes down to it you got to see what the kid does when he gets to the big show!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

From what he said it was a misunderstanding between him and his brother in regards to the gunshot injury. Still a little careless, but I understand a little better now.
    Hes worked on his approach at the plate, but even with the high K's hes still managed to get on base at an above average clip in the minors. About .360ish. His defense, from what Ive seen and read is above average, not great, with a plus arm.If he does what scouts say, hes a guy that will K a bunch (I think that number will go down a little), but will also give you good defense in RF, smack you a bunch of HR's and get on base.
    He understands the game, realizes his weaknesses and what he needs to do to improve them.
    Personally, I like the kid and hope hes playing RF for us sometime soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In addition to hitting for power he also had two five hit games last summer with the Sea Dogs. I believe he is the only player in "Dogs" history to have five hits in multiple games in one season.

Similar build as Mike Napoli; 6'----- 220. I look forward to seeing him continue his progress.

In 2011 at Greenville and Salem he had 30 HR, 94 RBI and .306 BA.--In 2012 @ AA Portland--17HR--76 RBI and a .296 BA before being promoted to AAA for the playoffs.

in 2011 and 2012 he had 10 outfield assist seasons. Dewey Evans had 15  assist  seasons on a couple of occasions. 

Hopefully we'll see him in some ST games. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In addition to hitting for power he also had two five hit games last summer with the Sea Dogs. I believe he is the only player in "Dogs" history to have five hits in multiple games in one season.

Similar build as Mike Napoli; 6'----- 220. I look forward to seeing him continue his progress.

In 2011 at Greenville and Salem he had 30 HR, 94 RBI and .306 BA.--In 2012 @ AA Portland--17HR--76 RBI and a .296 BA before being promoted to AAA for the playoffs.

in 2011 and 2012 he had 10 outfield assist seasons. Dewey Evans had 15  assist  seasons on a couple of occasions. 

Hopefully we'll see him in some ST games. 

Is he 220? I thought he was barely pushing 200 last season...

Either way, he has a lot of potential. I look forward to seeing him in Pawtucket this year and maybe Fenway park.

Sections
Shortcuts