Brett Anderson, Juan Francisco and me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Brett Anderson, Juan Francisco and me

As I have been saying most of the offseason, Brett Anderson will be one of the best arms available.  He is 24 years old, reasonably priced for anyone except Oakland, and very talented, though not with 100% health.

We all know what Oakland needs, and probably wants - Middlebrooks.  Right now their best 3B is Scott Sizemore.  Sizemore is awful, but on the bright side, he does get hurt alot, so his lack of talent isn't an obstacle.   For all the young talent the A's bring up, for some reason they seem to have a complete dearth at 3B.  In fact, if you go to a minor league gfame for one of their farm teams, they don't even have a 3B on the field.  Instead, guarding the hot corner, they just have a thirty year old cardboard cutout they stole from an Albertson's of Carney Lansford in full 1982 Oakland regalia, holding a can of Hormel's Finest and saying  "It's Chil Con Me!" in his little bubble.   It's actually quite sad.

Anyway, I got to wondering if the Sox moved Middlebrooks, could he be replaced?  And not with Valencia.  Nothing says you need 3B help like having Danny Valencia.   I like Middlebrooks, but think many fans overrate him.  He is a good defender with power, but strikes out too much and refuses to wait on anything.   Sort of like Juan Francisco. Hmmm.

I got to wondering, is there really much of a difference in Middlebrooks and Francisco?  So I sat don and did some number running to see how these guys would do over 600PA.  In the end, I may have inadvertantly created my own little projection machine.  I mention this because it needs a name for marketing and legal purposes.   (Suggestions?)

Anyway, I plugged in the relveant Middlebrooks data   - height, weight, RBIs, eye color - and it told me over 600PA next year, Middlebrooks would hit .276 with a .307 OBP and 32 HRs.   Francisco would hit .253 with a .295OBP and 26HRs.   Two conclusions.  1. Francisco is no Middlebrooks, however he certainly is a semi-respectable stopgap if it means upgrading the pitching staff, and he still is better than Valencia.  Not quite a hidden gem, but certainly an easy player to acquire.

And 2.  those numbers actually look reasonable to me.  I could see Middlebrooks with that, and assuming Francisco ever gets 600PA in a season, those numbers would hardly surprise anyone.  For those who feel Middlebroks might be a little light in BA and OBP, the current model does not account for sac flies and HBP, which are really not skills for most players.  (Hi, Don Baylor!) 

For fun, I decided to see about Danny Murphy, who could probably be had from the catcher-bereft Mets.  Murphy came outhitting .296 with a .361 OBP and 7HRs.   Clearly he excels where Middlebrooks does not, and vice versa.  More important, those numbers do look like Murphy.  (Unlike Middlebrooks and Francisco, Murphy is an awful defender regardles of where he plays.  He could misplay a grounder while DHing.)

Interestingly, in the past I have compared Middlebrooks to Butch Hobson.  Should Middlebrooks hit those numbers, it will be remarkably cose to Hobson's .265 / .300OBP season with 31HRs in 1977.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Brett Anderson, Juan Francisco and me

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As I have been saying most of the offseason, Brett Anderson will be one of the best arms available.  He is 24 years old, reasonably priced for anyone except Oakland, and very talented, though not with 100% health.

We all know what Oakland needs, and probably wants - Middlebrooks.  Right now their best 3B is Scott Sizemore.  Sizemore is awful, but on the bright side, he does get hurt alot, so his lack of talent isn't an obstacle.   For all the young talent the A's bring up, for some reason they seem to have a complete dearth at 3B.  In fact, if you go to a minor league gfame for one of their farm teams, they don't even have a 3B on the field.  Instead, guarding the hot corner, they just have a thirty year old cardboard cutout they stole from an Albertson's of Carney Lansford in full 1982 Oakland regalia, holding a can of Hormel's Finest and saying  "It's Chil Con Me!" in his little bubble.   It's actually quite sad.

Anyway, I got to wondering if the Sox moved Middlebrooks, could he be replaced?  And not with Valencia.  Nothing says you need 3B help like having Danny Valencia.   I like Middlebrooks, but think many fans overrate him.  He is a good defender with power, but strikes out too much and refuses to wait on anything.   Sort of like Juan Francisco. Hmmm.

I got to wondering, is there really much of a difference in Middlebrooks and Francisco?  So I sat don and did some number running to see how these guys would do over 600PA.  In the end, I may have inadvertantly created my own little projection machine.  I mention this because it needs a name for marketing and legal purposes.   (Suggestions?)

Anyway, I plugged in the relveant Middlebrooks data   - height, weight, RBIs, eye color - and it told me over 600PA next year, Middlebrooks would hit .276 with a .307 OBP and 32 HRs.   Francisco would hit .253 with a .295OBP and 26HRs.   Two conclusions.  1. Francisco is no Middlebrooks, however he certainly is a semi-respectable stopgap if it means upgrading the pitching staff, and he still is better than Valencia.  Not quite a hidden gem, but certainly an easy player to acquire.

And 2.  those numbers actually look reasonable to me.  I could see Middlebrooks with that, and assuming Francisco ever gets 600PA in a season, those numbers would hardly surprise anyone.  For those who feel Middlebroks might be a little light in BA and OBP, the current model does not account for sac flies and HBP, which are really not skills for most players.  (Hi, Don Baylor!) 

For fun, I decided to see about Danny Murphy, who could probably be had from the catcher-bereft Mets.  Murphy came outhitting .296 with a .361 OBP and 7HRs.   Clearly he excels where Middlebrooks does not, and vice versa.  More important, those numbers do look like Murphy.  (Unlike Middlebrooks and Francisco, Murphy is an awful defender regardles of where he plays.  He could misplay a grounder while DHing.)

Interestingly, in the past I have compared Middlebrooks to Butch Hobson.  Should Middlebrooks hit those numbers, it will be remarkably cose to Hobson's .265 / .300OBP season with 31HRs in 1977.

[/QUOTE]

That was a very nice year from Clell Lavern. He always was my favorite Sox 3B outside of Rico Petrocelli. I know both Boggs and Lansford were better, not to mention Bill Mueller, but I just liked Butch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All-Star post, Notin.  Informative, and yet, whimsical at the same time.  

I just don't like the "though not with 100% health" part.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree with notin on Brett Anderson, and think we should try our best to get him. I'm sure they'd like Middlebrooks, but I was hoping they'd take something like this:

2 of Tazawa, Aceves, Doubront and Morales

2 of Salty, Breslow, Lava, Cecchini and Brentz

However, notin has a way of talkin me down off a cloud, as in with Middlebrooks. Trading him and saving some of these guys I listedIf we are really looking at 2014 as a reasonable season to begin seriously competing, we could probably have Bogaerts at 3B by then with Cecchini getting close to ready.

Make a trade for Upton or Stanton as well, and by 2014, we may actually be strong contenders.

Thanks for the great post, notin!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with notin on Brett Anderson, and think we should try our best to get him. I'm sure they'd like Middlebrooks, but I was hoping they'd take something like this:

However, notin has a way of talkin me down off a cloud, as in with Middlebrooks. Trading him and saving some of these guys I listedIf we are really looking at 2014 as a reasonable season to begin seriously competing, we could probably have Bogaerts at 3B by then with Cecchini getting close to ready.

Make a trade for Upton or Stanton as well, and by 2014, we may actually be strong contenders.

[/QUOTE]

It might be better long term for the Sox to trade WMB rather than Cecchini in an Anderson deal, as Cecchini might be a better talent at the hot corner. He'll start next year in Salem won't he?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It might be better long term for the Sox to trade WMB rather than Cecchini in an Anderson deal, as Cecchini might be a better talent at the hot corner. He'll start next year in Salem won't he?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last winter, I said I thought one of Bogaerts or Cecchini would end up better than Middlebrooks. 

Now, I'm not so sure, but I am confident that by 2014 or 2015, we'd be fine with Bogaerts/Cecchini.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good post Notin.

Id rather keep WMB and see what he does this year first. maybe theyll take someone else. Besides, the Sox are talking about locking WMB up through his arb years like they did with Lester, Buch and Pedey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good post Notin.

Id rather keep WMB and see what he does this year first. maybe theyll take someone else.

[/QUOTE]

Anderson is the real deal. We'll have to give to get, but I too would prefer to try and get him without including Middlebrooks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good post Notin.

Id rather keep WMB and see what he does this year first. maybe theyll take someone else.

[/QUOTE]

Anderson is the real deal. We'll have to give to get, but I too would prefer to try and get him without including Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

Sox are already talking about locking WMB up through his arb years. I dont think hes going anywhere this offseason Moon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I went to an Oakland Athletics forum to inquire about the availability of Brett Anderson. Most responses speculated that Anderson would not be traded this offseason, although one poster said the A's would trade Anderson "if he's broken."

After clearing the $5+ million salaries of Kurt Suzuki and Brian Fuentes, the Athletics should have no problem meeting Anderson's 2012 salary of $5.5 million. The A's face only modest raises in arbitration:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/offseason-outlook-oakland-athletics.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good post Notin.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox are already talking about locking WMB up through his arb years. I dont think hes going anywhere this offseason Moon.

[/QUOTE]

We all would.

But if you were GM of the A's, and you just won the AL West, so you can't hide behind rebuilding. 

You really need a catcher and a 3B.  Josh Donladson can maybe hold one of the two short term.

You have a slew of outfielders, most of them center fielders.  you also still control Anderson, Parker, Milone, Griffin, Colon, Straily, Ross and Blackley.  And you still have Brad Peacock, AJ Cole, and Sonny Gray in the minors.  Starting pitching is not an issue.

You do, however, need a SS, a 3B and a catcher.  Anderson, being the most expensive pitcher, is the obvious one to deal.   However, the return needs to be really good, all things considered.  (Translation, he won't go straight up for Saltalamacchia or Iglesias.)

Anderson for Middlebrooks?  Oakland might do it.  Middlebrooks is a little older, but Oakland will have a harder time upgrading from ?????? at 3B...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Haha Not that I mind or anything but I dont think its necessary to respond to a specific comment when you are the second one commenting... especially when the first one is so GD long 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Great post notin!!!   :)

I would also love to have Anderson.  Oakland has a surplus of starting pitchers so I'm sure they are willing to trade Anderson for the right price.  

If Boston gets McCarthy, Marcum and Anderson (via trade) then I will be one happy Red Sox fan.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why the world we want to substract a young star for another young star?   Same with people talking about pitching....people keep saying trade Doubront for a guy like Garza or Lincecum.

Another thing is that Anderson just had a Tommy John surgery.  Come on, Boston isnt going to make these kind of move.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good post Notin.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never said I thought he'd be traded, only that if we do trade him, I think we'll be fine at 3B by 2014/2015.

Locking the "Wilda-beast" up does not necessarily mean he can't be traded, but I do not think Ben is looking to deal him, unless the return is just too good to be true.

(I feel Brett Anderson is worth going the extra mile to get.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I thought Sox fans are supposed to be anti injury prone players.  Since his ML debut, Anderson started 68 games in 4 yrs... that's only 2 full seasons in 4 yrs and he averaged less than 13 starts per season for last three years...  and some fans thinking about giving up WMB for him?????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought Sox fans are supposed to be anti injury prone players.  Since his ML debut, Anderson started 68 games in 4 yrs... that's only 2 full seasons in 4 yrs and he averaged less than 13 starts per season for last three years...  and some fans thinking about giving up WMB for him?????

[/QUOTE]

It's about talent...and Anderson has plenty of it...and giving Middlebrooks would be more than a fair deal for both teams. Inserting Anderson into the rotation would solve that issue but would open a need at 3B for the next couple of years.

Anderson looked pretty strong and healthy at the end of 2012, the way the Red Sox care for pitchers, I think he'd be OK in this organization where they take extra steps to maintain their pitchers health.

So this trade now opens up the need for a 3B, so who would be acceptable??

• Reynolds
    • Youkilis
    • DeRosa
    • Michael Young?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's about talent...and Anderson has plenty of it...and giving Middlebrooks would be more than a fair deal for both teams. Inserting Anderson into the rotation would solve that issue but would open a need at 3B for the next couple of years.

Anderson looked pretty strong and healthy at the end of 2012, the way the Red Sox care for pitchers, I think he'd be OK in this organization where they take extra steps to maintain their pitchers health.

• Reynolds
    • Youkilis
    • DeRosa
    • Michael Young?

[/QUOTE]

That list of players is not very likable...I guess Mark Reynolds...He'll K a ton but give you 35-40 HR. especially at fenway and he will not cost much...

I would not give up WMB though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What percent of games did WMB play for us this year?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Reynolds
    • Youkilis
    • DeRosa
    • Michael Young?

How about Bogaerts?

Trade for Dickey & Wright?

Where are all the Ciriaco lovers saying put him at 3B?

While I would hope we can get Anderson without trading the "Wilda-Beast", 3Bmen are easier to find than top quality SPs.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All-Star post, Notin.  Informative, and yet, whimsical at the same time.  

I just don't like the "though not with 100% health" part.

[/QUOTE]

Good suck-up! I guess this might an ounce of validity if human beings were robots or computers.

I happen to think Valencia would do well given the chance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Brett Anderson is a solid young pitcher but there's no way I'm giving up a young power hitting 3rd baseman for a pitcher who hasn't thrown more than 112 inns in the last 3 yrs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Trading Middlebrooks for Anderson is insane.  And speculating that some kid in A Ball , who you have never seen play an inning , is going to become a star is certifiably insane. Folks , welcome to Fantasy Island.  

Sections
Shortcuts