Brewers Fail to Land Morneau, so What About Napoli or Craig?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Brewers Fail to Land Morneau, so What About Napoli or Craig?

They could use a bat to improve their post season chances.

We could chip in some money towards future contract costs, if needed, and maybe get a nice prospect that can later be packaged for something bigger and better.

There's no room for Craig in the OF, and only one player can play 1B next year, so...

kick the tires, Ben!

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Brewers Fail to Land Morneau, so What About Napoli or Craig?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We could chip in some money towards future contract costs, if needed, and maybe get a nice prospect that can later be packaged for something bigger and better.

There's no room for Craig in the OF, and only one player can play 1B next year, so...

kick the tires, Ben!

Sox4ever

Have Mike Napoli and Allen Craig cleared revocable waivers? If not, is there sufficient time for those players to clear waivers and be traded before the August 31 deadline to be eligible for a postseason roster?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

We need Napoli next season IMO. We have enough spots to fill without looking for more, and with a beefed up line up he could be a potent bat. I agree he's not really worth it on paper now, but think we might be glad we had him next season as he plays for a contract.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

With no shortage of OF'ders----Nava, WMB, Ortiz , Shaw--then from the outside; a plethora of talent awaits BenC at 1B.

Nap's loss would be his threat at the plate--he is a .250 hitter with occasional power that is waning. Still a high strike out ratio.

Make the move Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!Today as we contribute to this thread.

Are the Tigers still interested in Nava?? What about Ross?? Go all in for the #1 pick--Ortiz??? for Prado--never happen but a good deal…

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We need Napoli next season IMO. We have enough spots to fill without looking for more, and with a beefed up line up he could be a potent bat. I agree he's not really worth it on paper now, but think we might be glad we had him next season as he plays for a contract.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[/QUOTE]

Teakus-CV

Do you really believe we will need him next year.

Stanton will be in a Sox Uni next season--IMHO.

IMO we don't need Nap--I believe we should move him and  BenC. will move him at some point between now and the beginning of ST.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Naps is a disciplined hitter he see's an average of 4.5 pitches per at bat with opposite field power. He can hit the gaps and the long ball. Played good defense this year as well. IMO i don't see him going anywhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[/QUOTE]

Teakus-CV

IMO we don't need Nap--I believe we should move him and  BenC. will move him at some point between now and the beginning of ST.

[/QUOTE]

What if Stanton isn't in  Sox uniform next year?  There is no MLB regulation that says Miami has to trade him.  Not to mention, Stanton doesn't play 1B.  (Although he used to.)

I am starting to think the Sox acquired Craig for some much-needed MLB depth. Next season, Victorino will be back, but might not last, Papi will be another year older, and Napoli will have another year of wear-and-tear on that hip.  Trading Craig might not be such a good idea.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[/QUOTE]

Teakus-CV

[/QUOTE]

What if Stanton isn't in  Sox uniform next year?  There is no MLB regulation that says Miami has to trade him.  Not to mention, Stanton doesn't play 1B.  (Although he used to.)

I am starting to think the Sox acquired Craig for some much-needed MLB depth. Next season, Victorino will be back, but might not last, Papi will be another year older, and Napoli will have another year of wear-and-tear on that hip.  Trading Craig might not be such a good idea.

[/QUOTE]

If it's a choice between Craig or Napoli, I'd prefer the SOX keep Craig. He strikes out less and has been a good RBI man in his career. Bye, Mike.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[/QUOTE]

Teakus-CV

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If it's a choice between Craig or Napoli, I'd prefer the SOX keep Craig. He strikes out less and has been a good RBI man in his career. Bye, Mike.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be wary of his RBI totals, fueled by an unsustainable .454 BA with RISP in 2013.

And while Craig strikes out less, he also walks less.  And hits for less power.  And is less of a defensive 1B...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

kick the tires, Ben!

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Craig never really fit on this team and he isn't as good as Napoli. He is the one that should be dealt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think you have to move one or the other.  Depth is good, but a full year of Craig as a backup 1B/#5OF makes little sense.  If the FO view is that Craig is a solid (at least average) 1B, which I disagree with, then move Napoli.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Napoli's 16m contract for next year limits the teams that might want to deal for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even if Vic never plays another game with us, we still are overloaded in the OF, plus it seems like the best spot to find a clean-up hitter, so certainly Craig or Napoli are expendable. We'll still have depth... dare I say too much.

Let's say no Napoli or Vic due to trade and injury.

1B: Craig, Papi, Nava, Holt, Middy?, (Cecchini/Shaw?)

OF: ___?____, Cespedes, Castillo, Betts, Nava, JBJ, Holt, Cecchini, and others.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Napoli is our second best hitter until someone else can eclipse an .800 OPS, so there's that to consider.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Even if Vic never plays another game with us, we still are overloaded in the OF, plus it seems like the best spot to find a clean-up hitter, so certainly Craig or Napoli are expendable. We'll still have depth... dare I say too much.

Let's say no Napoli or Vic due to trade and injury.

1B: Craig, Papi, Nava, Holt, Middy?, (Cecchini/Shaw?)

OF: ___?____, Cespedes, Castillo, Betts, Nava, JBJ, Holt, Cecchini, and others.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Why aren't the Sox trading Craig?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli is our second best hitter until someone else can eclipse an .800 OPS, so there's that to consider.

[/QUOTE]

He is our second best hitter and provides much needed RHH power....AND plays a very good 1B. Why would you want to trade that away? Craig is the wart.....trade him, if you can.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli's 16m contract for next year limits the teams that might want to deal for him.

[/QUOTE]

Very true. SOX may have to keep him and trade Craig. Can't see the SOX keeping both.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The bottom line is we are now a different team and if we hope to contend next season we're going to have to bash teams with offensive prowess. You don't accomplish that by constantly trying to unload salary, you do it by adding and keeping proven hitters. Our pitching will be less than this year, even if we were lucky enough to land Hamel, which is very unlikely. And so yes, even if we get Stanton he will need complimentary pieces because adding Stanton will remove Cespedes or Castillo. And we'd probably have to eat $5 million of Napoli's contract just to move him....that would be very dumb on too many levels. If we added Stanton AND a true stud 3rd baseman, then I'd be ok with moving Napoli....but we still would need to eat too much salary to make it worthwhile. The only time a team should do that is if the guy is a cancer in the clubhouse, which Napoli is not. He's playing for a contract and our line up will be improved next season. I'd like to see what he can do and my guess is it'll be quite a lot. To win next yr we're going to have to pummel teams offensively. Mark it down.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

The bottom line is we are now a different team and if we hope to contend next season we're going to have to bash teams with offensive prowess. You don't accomplish that by constantly trying to unload salary, you do it by adding and keeping proven hitters. Our pitching will be less than this year, even if we were lucky enough to land Hamel, which is very unlikely. And so yes, even if we get Stanton he will need complimentary pieces because adding Stanton will remove Cespedes or Castillo. And we'd probably have to eat $5 million of Napoli's contract just to move him....that would be very dumb on too many levels. If we added Stanton AND a true stud 3rd baseman, then I'd be ok with moving Napoli....but we still would need to eat too much salary to make it worthwhile. The only time a team should do that is if the guy is a cancer in the clubhouse, which Napoli is not. He's playing for a contract and our line up will be improved next season. I'd like to see what he can do and my guess is it'll be quite a lot. To win next yr we're going to have to pummel teams offensively. Mark it down.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[/QUOTE]

I think the Sox will sign a free agent pitcher and land a top of the rotation pitcher via trade.  Cincinnati matches up perfectly as they will very likely move at least one starter this off season, since 4/5ths of their rotation will be free agents after 2015.  The Sox have the young pitching talent to land a top 2 starter.  

I also think they will bring in a veteran 3rd baseman (Bogaerts will not go back to 3rd regardless) and stick with Bogaerts at SS.  They will obviously move at least one outfielder as well, more likely a couple of them.  I doubt Napoli is going anywhere, as they love everything he brings to the table, on and offf the field, and he'll be playing for his last contract. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is what I thought too. Paying Craig 5-8 million in 2015-16 money is similar to what Millar and Mienkevicz types were making in 2004-2005 and like adding Beltre even though Lowell and Youk were making 9-12 million. 

A World Series contender needs the depth Craig would provide in case Napoli's hop acts up, Papi falls off real quick and suddenly looks 38-39 or one of our relatively young OFers gets hurt. Victorino, due to his age/injury issues should be our 4th Ofer regardless. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[/QUOTE]

Teakus-CV

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Until we have Stanton in the hand, I am done dealing with 2 in the bush as they say.  Nap lengthens our line up and this season has proven a long line up is critical to make the opposing pitchers tire out.  He is still vg at 1B and vg at OBP and the power issue is one that pitching around him is clearly a part of this season.  Is he getting older and slowing up?  Maybe - but the power drain this season was nearly 100 % due to no one except Papi still swinging well.  For distance that is.  

Just look at what taking Cespy out of the A's line up did.  They thought they had plenty of length to keep their high octane offense going.  OOOOOOPS!  And we thought we could keep pitchers honest with out speed or power ... ooops.  (No one imagined we'd lose Victorino for the whole season ... maybe half but not all.)

When we have Stanton, THEN Naps can be dealt, IMO.  I know we won't get much with 1 season left, but we won't need as much.  If Naps is part of getting Stanton (I doubt that)  then it is ok, too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very true. SOX may have to keep him and trade Craig. Can't see the SOX keeping both.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If Craig returns to form, he is more valuable than Naps.  He also is due quite a bit less money, if I understand it correctly.  Next season he is due $5.5 mill, then $9 mill in 2016, then $11 mill in 2017.   The team has an option on 2018 for $13 mill or a $1 mill buyout....

So, simply, 2 years for one with Craig v. Nap.   His value is better ... if her returns to form.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Something appears to be desperately wrong with Craig this year.  By comparison, Napoli is a model of consistency. 

Sections
Shortcuts