Brewers sign Olmsted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Brewers sign Olmsted

More moves will be made to make room on the 40-man roster before the rule 5 draft in December.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brewers sign Olmsted

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/brewers-sign-michael-olmsted.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This is a sign of things to come--I'm not saying BenC has trouble making decisions but pitching is an area he has mismanaged. He has Stolmy Pimental, Drake Britton on the 40 this past season. He, BC, must be SP's Godfather. The Sox , I think, signed him young, they must have 15-20  other Stolmey's in the system. The guy has shown almost nothing in the org yet they protected him last year for the Rule 5. So what if he goes--we've got clones of him.

Michael Olmstead has a 14 K/9 and under a 3 per 9/BB for a reliever--he's an imposing figure at 6'7-280--kind of a Radatz type.  He's an older reliever they picked up out of the Independent League. He was in Salem did well and then in Portland did well. There was talk they could lose him but they would protect him from the Rule 5. So they let him go and the Brewers picked him up--all one has to do is look at the K, BB and ERA--granted he a little older than his competition.

Are you with me ; we have 15 Stolmeys--so we lose one-no big deal--he may never see the light of day at Fenway.

Olmstead is one of three closers in the sytem--he had more of a chance to be in Boston ,  this season than Stolmey ever will. We got NO Compensation for him. 

Josh Field's, with the PawSox, would have been Michael O's competition for top reliever this coming season at the PawSox. We are holding onto Beato--for what. We are holding onto DeJesus for what. We are considering bringing back Loney for what. We seem to be affraid to lose Kalish, Nava and Iggy -we keep bringing them back--they're nice kids--but we need solid pitchers--make them compete and let those go that don't cut it. 

Ben don't micro manage--let Mike Hazen make the minor league decisions--go with what he says. He and his minor league people see these kids every day--they blow it once too many--fire them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I would suggest going to the site above southpaw put out there---read the comments--there were 12 a few minutes ago. Some very revealing from Sox fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Sometimes these kind of things happen because the team knows more about the player than the fans do.

They didn't pick his name out of a hat, they know the players on the 40-man roster.  There might be actually be other reasons invovled here. 

Possibly including Olmatead asking to be allowed to test free agency.  Given his age, lack of experience, logjam in the Sox bullpen and the fact that he signed with the Brewers, this would not surpise me at all.  In fact, I would be surpised if he did not...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Good article on WEEI about the loss of Olmsted:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/11/04/red-sox-lose-reliever-michael-olmsted-amidst-40-man-roster-crunch/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There are always things the fans do not know that only the people working within the organization know. To blast BC without knowing all the facts to the situation is unwarranted. Besides, its not just BC that makes these decisions. He consults with his whole scouting department as well and relies on them to help make those decisions since he isnt around these kids all the time like they are...

Notin also brought up a very possible scenario. What if this guy did in fact ask to be a ML FA? Lots of other possibilities as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Who knows ?  On the surface , it looks like it could be another blunder.  Time will tell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Reality is they need more space on the 40-man roster. Guys like velencia have to be on there because of depth at AAA. Remember Youk being traded and WMB going down last year? Now Aviles isnt here. Im sure they will make, like they stated, more tough decisions regarding the 40-man. Next year will be even worse if there are not a bunch of moves made before then. out of the top 40 prospects close to 30 will be rule 5 eligible next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I must admit I do not quite understand this.  Why keep Beato and Carpenter and let Olmstead go?  It is not like he is 27 or 28.  He is 25, big, and throws hard with impeccable control.  What's not to like?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I must admit I do not quite understand this.  Why keep Beato and Carpenter and let Olmstead go?  It is not like he is 27 or 28.  He is 25, big, and throws hard with impeccable control.  What's not to like?

Because Beato looked pretty good in the pen as did carpenter. I liked what I saw from Olmstead as well, but the fact that he hasnt been past AA yet had to be a factor. Some wont understand that, but realistically, its a pen arm and another guy can step in and do the job. I hope he does well for the Brew crew.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Sox have to make room on the 40-man for about 6-8 players, so more moves will be made soon. here a list of all the ML FA that are available as of right now...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/11/minor-league-free-agents-2012/

Sections
Shortcuts