Brian Wilson as Closer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Brian Wilson as Closer?

If Brian Wilson is non tendered by the Giants would you be interested in signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal at say maybe 5 Million or so? He's proven he can perform on the big stage (world series) and is a local boy (from New Hampshire.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Brian Wilson as Closer?

Hes coming off his 2nd TJS...Theres not a good success rate if a pitcher has to undergo 2 of these procedures...maybe a ML deal to see if he can still pitch, but in no way shape or form hand him the keys to the closers job...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would give him a shot if he is non-tendered, see how he does, go into spring training with him and bailey duking it out for the closer job, and who doesnt get it would be a set up man. the sox could use some personality and brian wilson has that in spades. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

it might be unnatural to have two closers but it shouldn't be. One year deal high on incentives and low base. Obviously he would need to know the closing job isn't his to start with but I would think he will go somewhere that the closer job is more available

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

There must be a reason why the Giants most likely non-tender his contract.  And finding a RP is  our least concern right now.  Wilson might be able to find him in setup role if he can find his groove back but he's nothing but a minor league contract candidate as of right now.  But I'm sure he will get a major league contract somewhere else.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportstalk. Show sportstalk's posts

There are east coast personalties & west coast personalities.  From watching Brain Wilson the past few years (I was interested because my son knew him in high school) he appears to be a west coast personality type.  I don't think he would be a good fit pitching in Boston.  I'm aware he's somewhat of a local guy & all but I'm just not feeling it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I'm not feeling it either.

For closer within the current roster:

Taz, Bailey, Melancon--in that order.

Closer from outside:

Soriano, Hanrahan(Pirates), Perez(indians)--in that order.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Bailey deserves another shot.  If he does not do well, then have Tazawa be the closer. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Brian Wilson is non tendered by the Giants would you be interested in signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal at say maybe 5 Million or so? He's proven he can perform on the big stage (world series) and is a local boy (from New Hampshire.)

[/QUOTE]

a big NO !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We have enough beach boys already......Maybe just for the summer concert at Fenway

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If the Giants won two WS in three years, guess they know what they are doing.  So obviously they know that Wilson is not going to last any longer.

If Boston wanted him, then sign him a miniumum contract with incentatives just for one year!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Closer from outside:

[/QUOTE]

I hear the Pirates are dangling Hanrahan as a possible trade candidate

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

As a lover of Sox, Giants, and eccentrics everywhere, I am all for kicking the tires on Wilson.  I doubt he is going to get good offers, so they ought to be able to get him on the cheap, with incentives.  Don't need to slot him in to any specific role:  Bailey deserves a shot to be closer, and there are a bunch of guys who deserve a shot to be set-up guy.  But, if a second TJ hasn't ruined his arm, its worth a shot.  Low risk/high reward.  Its what the Sox do best (hehehe).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rumors have it that the Sox offering Bailey in the trade market.I'm not sure that he'll get a very good return now though

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I say lets see what Tazawa can do, with Bailey setting up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Closer from outside:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who wants a gut with rope burns.............

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd rather see Taz start.

In house closer options:

1) Bailey (clearly the man with the job to keep or lose)

2) Bard (should have made him the closer last year/ traded J R & others for Gio)

3) Melancon

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

According to the recent roster from boston.com : I  avg.  out the bull pen age at the moment is 28 not bad

Acevez Bailey Bard all righties who are potential closers for the bull pen

Atchison, Beato, C. Carpenter, Melancon, Mortensen, Tazawa, Larosa all righties

Miller, Hill, Breslow are all lefties

Morales can be a potential starter next season pending the trade rumours involving our pitching staff.

I know Farrell an ex pitching coach will be watching this bull pen under a magnfying glass when the catcher and pitchers start their early workout before spring training. So far i been wrong myself, now i do like the looks of our bull pen but the starting rotation is bigger concern for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Would definitely not mind adding someone like Wilson as a buy-low pickup, simply because you can never have too many arms...let him compete with Bailey and any other comers for the closer job in spring training.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Closer from outside:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Pirates are looking for a catcher and the sox has potential catchers to trade. The pirates just miss out on the wild card birth last season and are getting more competive every season. My guess the pirates are looking for a few missing links to get them to that play off spot. Perienzki sp is also a kean interest for the pirates.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

They'd have to keep the clubhouse well-stocked with nail polish!