Bridge 14

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bridge 14

(Note: I am not saying I want to do this, or that there is any chance in H3LL it happens, but it is an interesting option.)

Sign one longer term FA like McCann.

Then, sign bridge players to 2015 and our host of prospects.

SS: Brandan Ryan (All you Iggy fans climb aboard) for 1 year.

1B/RF: Corey Hart or Mike Morse for 1 year.

RP: Jesse Crain or Eric O'Flaherty

1B: Middy

3B: Bogey

SS: Ryan

RF: Hart

CF: Vict

or

1B: Hart/Carp

3B: Middy

SS: Bogey

RF: Vict

CF: JBJ

We'd have money to spend at the deadline and young catchers to trade to desperate clubs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Bridge 14

I'd rather see this:

DH: Papi

C: Salty

1B: Hart

2B: Pedey

3B: WMB

SS: XB

LF: Nava/Gomes

CF: Ellsbury

RF: IVC

Brendan ryan IS an interesting option though. If we deal Middy in the offseason and move XB to third base we could sign Ryan. He is great defensively is about average - slightly above average Offensively. He probably would come a lot cheaper in dollars and years than resigning Drew (which i am also open to if the aforementioned middlebrooks trade happens).

still, i think Hart is the guy to go after in the offseason (in terms of free agents). I think he will be just as good as Naps was this year (or better) for cheaper and could get us a draft pick afterwards.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Moonslav, with all due respect, this thread is not going anywhere. The Sox have a real shot at their third World Series Championship in all of our lifetimes. Sox fans are not interested in a " bridge year " for 2014 at this time. I know you love to speculate about these things , but it just does not resonate at present. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Moonslav, with all due respect, this thread is not going anywhere. The Sox have a real shot at their third World Series Championship in all of our lifetimes. Sox fans are not interested in a " bridge year " for 2014 at this time. I know you love to speculate about these things , but it just does not resonate at present. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I never said I was for this plan.

Many, including myself, thought last year's winter "bridge plan" was just that: a bridge that gave us little chance to win in 2013 and nothing to improve our odds afterwards.

I wouldn't count something similar to this out.

Signing Ryan would, in effect, give us Iggy back without losing Peavy.

Moving Bogey to 3B puts him in a position he is better suited for.

Moving Middy to 1B saves us a ton of money.

The money saved could be used to acquire a thumper in the OF, an upgrade at catcher (or keep salty), and an upgrade in the pen, and still have money left over for a dealine deal in 2014.

Again, I am not saying I am for this plan, and I do think there are better plans out there, but on several levels, this plan shows some promise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

I think you need to differentiate between tanking a year and creating a little bridge to the farm with short-term signings.  I think people completely misinterpreted the whole 'bridge' theory.  Drew was a bridge to Iglesias/Bogaerts.  Dempster was bridge to maybe Barnes or Renaudo.

Even if we lost all four FAs, we can replace two of them in-house, and have a ton of money to spend replacing the other two.

If, and that's a big if, we won the WS, or maybe even just got into the WS, I'd be very comfortable with letting all 4 walk, adding to the farm, and having a .550 team up to the trading deadline, with plenty of money to go around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Many, including myself, thought last year's winter "bridge plan" was just that: a bridge that gave us little chance to win in 2013 and nothing to improve our odds afterwards.

The money saved could be used to acquire a thumper in the OF, an upgrade at catcher (or keep salty), and an upgrade in the pen, and still have money left over for a dealine deal in 2014.

Again, I am not saying I am for this plan, and I do think there are better plans out there, but on several levels, this plan shows some promise.

And that, rather than your many passionate, clever, detailed analyses is exactly why you (and Notin) are my favourite poster(s).  You were wrong...WRONG....WRONG!!!!!! You mental midget!

Many people here thought Ben's off season transactions were not just a bridge....they cost nothing other than a bit of cash, no prospects or draft picks were lost, and gave us a reasonable chance to succeed in 2013 without compromising the future.....though the result is far beyond any reasonable expectations.

You got it wrong!  ;-)   Hahahahahahaha!!    :-)))))))))

But you have the courage and confidence to admit the error.  I salute you, sir!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

And that, rather than your many passionate, clever, detailed analyses is exactly why you (and Notin) are my favourite poster(s). You were wrong...WRONG....WRONG!!!!!! You mental midget!

Many people here thought Ben's off season transactions were not just a bridge....they cost nothing other than a bit of cash, no prospects or draft picks were lost, and gave us a reasonable chance to succeed in 2013 without compromising the future.....though the result is far beyond any reasonable expectations.

You got it wrong!  ;-)   Hahahahahahaha!!    :-)))))))))

But you have the courage and confidence to admit the error.  I salute you, sir!

I have admitted I have been wrong more times than maybe everyone here combined. (Years and years here helps)

The thing I was the most upset about last winter was not the bridge players: I like half of them, but rather I did not see one move that added to our chances in 2015 and beyond.

Now, since I saw little chance at winning in 2013, I had 2015 and beyond as a higher priority than most here. I had wished that if we spent that much money, we'd at least have a guy like A Sanchez or J Upton on the books for 2015 and beyond. (Or to add to our youth wih someone like Myers)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

(Note: I am not saying I want to do this, or that there is any chance in H3LL it happens, but it is an interesting option.)

Sign one longer term FA like McCann.

Then, sign bridge players to 2015 and our host of prospects.

SS: Brandan Ryan (All you Iggy fans climb aboard) for 1 year.

1B/RF: Corey Hart or Mike Morse for 1 year.

RP: Jesse Crain or Eric O'Flaherty

1B: Middy

3B: Bogey

SS: Ryan

RF: Hart

CF: Vict

or

1B: Hart/Carp

3B: Middy

SS: Bogey

RF: Vict

CF: JBJ

We'd have money to spend at the deadline and young catchers to trade to desperate clubs.

This you can argue would be worse team this years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Half of people here wanted Cory Hart????  He havent play a game this year!!  No freakin way. I ll take Napoli over him!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Half of people here wanted Cory Hart????  He havent play a game this year!!  No freakin way. I ll take Napoli over him!!

I'd take Napoli too, but my point was about the option to take a player that can play 1B and RF, and then spend big elsewhere with those savings from not signing 2 guys.

Hart gives the flexibiity to play RF as Carp or Nava play 1B  (if JBJ struggles and Victorino moves to CF) -  or  -  1B if JBj does well in CF or Victotino plays CF and Nava RF.

It's certainly not plan A.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It depends on health naturally, but he's got a .857 over the previous three years, pretty consistently.  If you only go after low-risk players, you're unlikely to find bargains.  If he's switching to 1B, the knees might not be as much of a problem, and if he is platooning with Carp, he might stay healthy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

It depends on health naturally, but he's got a .857 over the previous three years, pretty consistently.  If you only go after low-risk players, you're unlikely to find bargains.  If he's switching to 1B, the knees might not be as much of a problem, and if he is platooning with Carp, he might stay healthy.

Napoli's hip is a gamble too. K Morales is no picture of health. Morneau? I think not.

I do not see Hart as our plan A, but I think it's intriguing to envision one guy filling two needs (1B and OF) and allowing two things to happen:

1) JBJ gets a shot to win the fulltime CF job, but we have a strong back-up plan if he struggles or fails outright: Victorino to CF, Hart to RF, and Carp/Nava 1B.

2) Carp gets a chance to win the full time 1B job, but we have a strong back-up plan if he struggles or fails outright: Hart/Nava to 1B, Vict/Nava to RF, and JBJ/Vict to CF.

I do not see an overall advantage to this plan, unless the we use the savings by signing one guy rather than two in a way to upgrade other positions that would not be able to be upgraded due to budget constraints if we sign a very good OF'er & 1Bman.

Hart may also agree to a shorter term deal than some other top options like Choo, Pence and Napoli. His cost will be lower than even one of these guys, let alone 2.

Let's say we have about $35M to spend this winter. We spend $14M on Salty and a few million on a utiltiy IF'er and RH'd relief pitcher. We may be left with about $15-18M to fill the 1B and CF/RF slots. That's not enough to sign Napoli and Pence, unless we go over the limit and pay the tax. Hart solves that dilema and provides the felxibility that Napoli or Pence cannot give us alone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Right now, I only see one critical issue for the 2014 Sox:  catcher.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Abreu auditions for teams next Monday and Tuesday, this could be intresting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

I think Corey Hart would be a nightmare defensively in RF at Fenway. We've all seen what a big difference it can make to have a defensive player like Victorino out there. I wouldn't want to see Hart anywhere near RF at Fenway, and I'm guessing that the Sox front office would feel the same way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to wherescreamingcomesfrom's comment:

I think Corey Hart would be a nightmare defensively in RF at Fenway. We've all seen what a big difference it can make to have a defensive player like Victorino out there. I wouldn't want to see Hart anywhere near RF at Fenway, and I'm guessing that the Sox front office would feel the same way.

Good point, but signing Hart and not another OF'er or 1Bman probably means he will play 1B almost exclusively, unless one of two things happen:

1) OF injury to Victorino.

2) JBJ struggles and Victorino is needed in CF.

Hart would basically be insurance for RF, and having Carp and Nava able to play 1B affords us flexibility. (Also, Nava could play RF as Hart plays 1B.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I'd rather see this:

DH: Papi

C: Salty

1B: Hart

2B: Pedey

3B: WMB

SS: XB

LF: Nava/Gomes

CF: Ellsbury

Please provide how much money you suggest the Red Sox budget so you can get the player you'd "rather see"?   No value in a long term deal for 30 year old Ellsbury, when Victorino is already on the books and Bradley is a virtual zero cost. 

why are you asking? don't you have a hard drive full of posts from the last 6 times you asked this question??

Sections
Shortcuts