Bring on the Rays! Predictions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Re: Bring on the Rays! Predictions?

Not at all looking forward to playing TB and like other's have mentioned I am not happy with the pitching match ups.   Winning game 1 is a MUST!!   Let's just hope the Rays revert to early Sept form this week end.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Maybe it's just what I want or a fantasy, and not to jinx or anything, but I'm seeing a sox sweep, with just one close game (decided by one run).  In any case, that first game win, gotta have it!

Sweep ???? Sox have very hard time hitting other teams bset pitchers and also have hard time getting Lackey any run support.... Sweep ??????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

sox in 5 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This is a great opportunity for payback. We are in the driver's seat.  Our line up is better and we have pretty good starting pitching too.  It's going to come down to Lester in G1.....the offense executing at every chance.......and Farrell pulling the right levers w/ the pen.  The key thing is to play OUR BRAND of BASEBALL and not to worry too much about what the Rays are doing (like w/ the Shifts, etc).

I also wonder if Boggy will get some starts in over Drew. and if maybe that means MacDonald gets the last roster spot because have more flexibility in the IF may be more important than anything else.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Sox in 5.

It wont be an easy series for either team.

Too bad that 2 games have to be played in that joke of a stadium.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

This is a great opportunity for payback. We are in the driver's seat.  Our line up is better and we have pretty good starting pitching too.  It's going to come down to Lester in G1.....the offense executing at every chance.......and Farrell pulling the right levers w/ the pen.  The key thing is to play OUR BRAND of BASEBALL and not to worry too much about what the Rays are doing (like w/ the Shifts, etc).

I also wonder if Boggy will get some starts in over Drew. and if maybe that means MacDonald gets the last roster spot because have more flexibility in the IF may be more important than anything else.....

"Its going to come down to Lester in G1". Words to shudder by considering what happened the last time he faced the Rays in the playoffs. But I agree with playing OUR game and not letting them dictate the way they did with Texas and Cleveland. If we punch them in the face right away in game one, it will stagger their confidence, maybe permanently in a series this short.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

"Its going to come down to Lester in G1". Words to shudder by considering what happened the last time he faced the Rays in the playoffs. But I agree with playing OUR game and not letting them dictate the way they did with Texas and Cleveland. If we punch them in the face right away in game one, it will stagger their confidence, maybe permanently in a series this short.

This is exactly right.....We need to win Game 1 with Lester on the mound, because it puts tremendous pressure on the Rays to win Game 2 with Price.....we lose Game 1 and we are in deep trouble......I feel very good about Game 3 with Buchholz, so a Game 1 win could make Game 4 an elimination game for the Rays and that would make Maddon ahve to start thing about shifting his rotation, possible bringing Price back on 3 days.....and we would be sitting with an experinced guy in Peavy and Lester waiting at home for a Game 5, if necessary. In any 5 game series, Game 1 is key, even more so for the Home team.....but in this case it is an imperative.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Rays sweep as Sox hitters are unable to climb out of their early October hibernation and overcome the slings and arrows of outrageously good Rays pitching. 

Translation:  Rays are hot, Sox are not. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

I think the Sox will win this in 4.

I think people are either vastly overrating Tampa's pitching or vastly underrating Boston's. For all of this talk about Tampa's great pitching, as a team they allowed a total of 10 runs less on the entire season than the Red Sox. And the likes of Matt Moore and David Price are good, but some people are making off like these guys are prime Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson. (By the way, Moore had a 1.30 WHIP on the season and a 1.88 K/BB ratio, so let's stop acting like he's god's gift to pitching.)

Boston's offense is vastly superior to Tampa's. They scored 153 runs more, they get on base more, hit for average better, and are much faster. I think people are also forgetting that the Red Sox are not these slugs who are going to get run over by Tampa's speed anymore. The Red Sox stole 123 bases at an 87% success rate, while Tampa stole just 73 bases at a 66% clip. 

Look, the Rays very well could win this series. Hell, the Astros could beat the Sox in a 5-game series. But I think people are overrating Tampa here based on previous seasons or something.

If I were to bet, I would bet on the Red Sox because they are a better team and have homefield advantage. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lester pitched in G3 that series - and got ROCKED - giving up back to back HR's to Upton and then Longoria by basically groving them inside half meatballs.....He did have a much better game in G7.

However, the announcers will be sure to say he has a 2.57 career PS ERA and it will drive me nuts!  His ERA is low because he shut out the Angels in 2 games in the 08 ALDS......and that was a LONG TIME AGO.  Since then, he's been very inconsistent in the PS....The good news is he is on a good run and it is 5 years later......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:

I think the Sox will win this in 4.

I think people are either vastly overrating Tampa's pitching or vastly underrating Boston's. For all of this talk about Tampa's great pitching, as a team they allowed a total of 10 runs less on the entire season than the Red Sox. And the likes of Matt Moore and David Price are good, but some people are making off like these guys are prime Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson. (By the way, Moore had a 1.30 WHIP on the season and a 1.88 K/BB ratio, so let's stop acting like he's god's gift to pitching.)

Boston's offense is vastly superior to Tampa's. They scored 153 runs more, they get on base more, hit for average better, and are much faster. I think people are also forgetting that the Red Sox are not these slugs who are going to get run over by Tampa's speed anymore. The Red Sox stole 123 bases at an 87% success rate, while Tampa stole just 73 bases at a 66% clip. 

Look, the Rays very well could win this series. Hell, the Astros could beat the Sox in a 5-game series. But I think people are overrating Tampa here based on previous seasons or something.

If I were to bet, I would bet on the Red Sox because they are a better team and have homefield advantage. 

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

This is exactly right.....We need to win Game 1 with Lester on the mound, because it puts tremendous pressure on the Rays to win Game 2 with Price.....we lose Game 1 and we are in deep trouble......I feel very good about Game 3 with Buchholz, so a Game 1 win could make Game 4 an elimination game for the Rays and that would make Maddon ahve to start thing about shifting his rotation, possible bringing Price back on 3 days.....and we would be sitting with an experinced guy in Peavy and Lester waiting at home for a Game 5, if necessary. In any 5 game series, Game 1 is key, even more so for the Home team.....but in this case it is an imperative.

Good assessment. Game one is the key. Win it and we are in very good shape; lose it and we will likely lose the series. The loser of game 1 has to win 3 of the next 4, and thats tough to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Being Obvious, I think our biggest issue with Rays pitching is the quality of the ir LH starters....we are just not as good a team versus lefties and in my mind it comes down to 2 things, and it is Papi and Ellsbury....it is Nava and Drew. When we face Lefties, Farrel rightfully so sits Nava and we lose our Best OBP guy.....Gomes has been clutch but is all around numbers are not great. This year he has actually hit better versus Righties than Lefties....plus Nava is a better defender than Gomes....and though it is hard to complanin about Drew, since he has given us more than I was expecting from him both offensively and defensively...he has just been horrendous versus LHP.....196 BA. Hard to say you start a rookie in the playoffs, but Boegaarts would surely give us better than a .196 Batting Average verus the lefties and if you get the Starter out of the game you can bring Drew in at that time(especially for Peralta and Rodney)....I hate to agree with Softy on anything, but I might give Boegaarts a start in Game 1 versus Moore. That said, if Farrell goes with the expected Lineup, that he has been using, we are going to need WMB, Napoli and Pedey to come up big....they are our guys who should hurt LHP....and we will need them to. Lastly.....patience will be the key....get those pitch counts up....Moore has more than 4.5 walks per game....make him throw strikes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Good assessment. Game one is the key. Win it and we are in very good shape; lose it and we will likely lose the series. The loser of game 1 has to win 3 of the next 4, and thats tough to do.

G1 is so much more important in a 5 game set than a 7 game set

Lose G1 in a 5 game series and you have to take 3 of 4 or 75%

Lose G1 in a 7 game series and you have to take 4 of 6, or 67%

Huge difference

Right now, the odds are probably 55/45 in Favor of the Sox because Game 5 is in Fenway

If the Sox win G1, I peg them at 90% favorites

If they lose G1, I give them about a 25% chance to win

G1 is worth 65 bases points!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to BostonIrishGuy's comment:

I REALLY wanted the Indians to make it. Tampa Bay worries me....A LOT. This series is going the full 5. 

Same here.  This match up of our Sox and the Rays could actually be the World Series with the either the Sox or Rays moving on and beating any of the American and National League teams in their path to the WS ring.  GO SOX!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Someone from the stands acts like a Yankee fan & throws a battery at  Maddon

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Since the game will start at Fenway Park before coming back home on game #5 if it is necessary, I think Boston will win in 4 games.

Cleveland were so awful last nite, and couldnt do anything from pitching to scoring runs.  Thier offense line up have no chemistry.  That is why I like Boston's line up.  It is one of the best chemistry line up in MLB.  Also Francona continue to be outmanaged by Maddon over the past many years.  

Farrell already figured it all out and have out managed Maddon this year.  Since Farrell took some notes from last nite game as well for monday game, I am sure Farrell will be all prepare for the series.   Maddon have used defense shift so much yesterday, and Cleveland couldnt take an advantage of it at all.

Go Sox!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Being Obvious, I think our biggest issue with Rays pitching is the quality of the ir LH starters....we are just not as good a team versus lefties and in my mind it comes down to 2 things, and it is Papi and Ellsbury....it is Nava and Drew. When we face Lefties, Farrel rightfully so sits Nava and we lose our Best OBP guy.....Gomes has been clutch but is all around numbers are not great. This year he has actually hit better versus Righties than Lefties....plus Nava is a better defender than Gomes....and though it is hard to complanin about Drew, since he has given us more than I was expecting from him both offensively and defensively...he has just been horrendous versus LHP.....196 BA. Hard to say you start a rookie in the playoffs, but Boegaarts would surely give us better than a .196 Batting Average verus the lefties and if you get the Starter out of the game you can bring Drew in at that time(especially for Peralta and Rodney)....I hate to agree with Softy on anything, but I might give Boegaarts a start in Game 1 versus Moore. That said, if Farrell goes with the expected Lineup, that he has been using, we are going to need WMB, Napoli and Pedey to come up big....they are our guys who should hurt LHP....and we will need them to. Lastly.....patience will be the key....get those pitch counts up....Moore has more than 4.5 walks per game....make him throw strikes.

Thoughtfully written, however, I think the veteran starts not only because he is much better all around than Bogaerts right now, but also because he is 2 fo 5 against Moore this season, including a double.  As for Nava vs. Gomes, that's a tough call.  I'm not sure Nava is a better fielder, but he certainly looks smoother.  Gomes has the higher OPS vs. lefties--over 100 points better--and Gomes has 5 outfield assists and 1 error, a nice ratio.   

I see this lineup tomorrow:  Ells, Vic, Ped, Papi, Nap, Gomes, Drew, MBR, Salty.  Variations are possible, but that lineup goes:  L, R, R, L, R,R, L, R, R.  Moore reportedly has been a little wild lately. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Rays are scary.  Their pitching may be the difference-maker.  I see the Sox in five.  Nail-biting enjoyment over the next five games!

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Rays are scary.  Their pitching may be the difference-maker.  I see the Sox in five.  Nail-biting enjoyment over the next five games!

BEST POST!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

BEST POST!

[/QUOTE]

Your screen name is one of the best.  Nice work.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

BEST POST!

Your screen name is one of the best.  Nice work.

[/QUOTE]
    Thank you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And Ross is going to get the start on Saturday??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneMoreMinute. Show OneMoreMinute's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Maybe it's just what I want or a fantasy, and not to jinx or anything, but I'm seeing a sox sweep, with just one close game (decided by one run).  In any case, that first game win, gotta have it!

Yes, first game is a must and it will quell all the believers that too much rest is bad.

Sections
Shortcuts