"Brock n Roll!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

"Brock n Roll!

Hi gang!

I may be a bit premature in saying this but it is my humble opinion that this kid is the real deal. #26 is going to be the 2nd coming of jacoby Elsbury only younger, healthier and a natural lead off hitter. Ok! so call me the eternal optimist. last night you couldn't have written a better script. he makes a spectacular circus catch the first time he ever played center field, and then leads off the next inning and cracks a double to get things rolling. (I wonder if Paul Heyman is his advocate eh Jetes?) lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Re:

Hopefully this isn't Daniel Nava part II. I want him to succeed. The Sox need a stable lead off hitter. What's going to happen when he slumps and all the ones in here are going to be calling for him to go back to Pawtucket. It's nice but over the course of the season he will be hitting .342

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re:

HOOCHIE COO!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re:

that catch covering jonny thugs ineptness last night was EPIC.  kid's pic should be in the dictionary next to hustle. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Re:

About a month ago I looked at myself in the mirror and said, this guy Holt is going to be the Red Sox MVP this year, but don't tell anyone, they'll lock you up. If anyone remembers Pete Runnels, and if you don't, look him up, Pete played every infield position, led the AL in hitting (twice, I think), and was,'t half the athlete this guy is. Pete could hit. Oodles of singles and doubles, but did not have the speed or the natural fielding tools that Holt has. I have no doubt, now, that Holt is the team's MVP as of this moment. That is, the guy who has to be in the lineup, I wonder how many of the runs scored in the last 10 days (6-4), was he involved? Seems like I sit there waiting for the Ross's and Bradley's to get out of there so we'll have a chance to get somebody on base (and maybe even score). Holt has an exceptionally high baseball IQ. If he has one fault (and he'll figure this out without my help), is the taking of a 3rd called strike with men on base. Can't do it, Brock. Be just a little more aggressive with men on base. As the leadoff man, you may look for the walk but a double is 3X more valuable than a walk. Think about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re:

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Way to early to nominate this guy as the CF of the future.

If his success survives the All-Star Break, I think we can upgrade his classification from Ciriaco-class to Nava-class. Wait until he's been a starter for two years in a row, then you can come back to me and mention Jacoby Ellsbury's name.

"Who would have guessed it possible that waiting is sustainable, a place with its own harvests -- or that in time's fullness the diamonds of patience couldn't be distinguished from genuine brilliance or hardness." --Kay Ryan.

"Everything is happening, all the time, very fast. I like that." -- Warren Ellis

[/QUOTE]
    where in my post did I nominate him for CF of the future. your words, not mine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re:

In response to ANONMD08's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hopefully this isn't Daniel Nava part II. I want him to succeed. The Sox need a stable lead off hitter. What's going to happen when he slumps and all the ones in here are going to be calling for him to go back to Pawtucket. It's nice but over the course of the season he will be hitting .342

[/QUOTE]

he is not even close to Nava.  All Brock wanted to do is to get on base as much he can.  He doesnt try to pull the bat too much like Nava.  That is why Nava will never be a major league every day player.  Since Holt is enjoying his time at the same time he know that being a lead off hitter is working out well for him, he will not change his way!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

Haha Hammah...he is very exciting to watch isn't he? Young players like Holt remind me of how much fun baseball can be. You have to love his hustle and grit. This kid wants to play and play hard. Tough not to like and appreciate that.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re:

So far, so good. Can only hope it continues.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

About a month ago I looked at myself in the mirror and said, this guy Holt is going to be the Red Sox MVP this year, but don't tell anyone, they'll lock you up. If anyone remembers Pete Runnels, and if you don't, look him up, Pete played every infield position, led the AL in hitting (twice, I think), and was,'t half the athlete this guy is. Pete could hit. Oodles of singles and doubles, but did not have the speed or the natural fielding tools that Holt has. I have no doubt, now, that Holt is the team's MVP as of this moment. That is, the guy who has to be in the lineup, I wonder how many of the runs scored in the last 10 days (6-4), was he involved? Seems like I sit there waiting for the Ross's and Bradley's to get out of there so we'll have a chance to get somebody on base (and maybe even score). Holt has an exceptionally high baseball IQ. If he has one fault (and he'll figure this out without my help), is the taking of a 3rd called strike with men on base. Can't do it, Brock. Be just a little more aggressive with men on base. As the leadoff man, you may look for the walk but a double is 3X more valuable than a walk. Think about it.

[/QUOTE]

about 3 months ago I looked at myself in the mirror and said, This team is bad and are they serious?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re:

If Brock Holt was a 20 or 21-year-old rookie instead of a 26-year-older throw in from an earlier trade, the Boston media would be salivating all over themselves.  There would be no comments about him coming down to earth, or surviving the season after the All Star break, or being a 4th outfielder or back-up utility infielder. 

This guy has paid his dues in the minors and has finally been given an opportunity to play everyday at the MLB level, an opportunity that some worthy players never get.  Just look at the circuitous journey of Orioles first baseman Chris Davis before he burst out for the Orioles once given the chance.  (and please, I'm not otherwise comparing him to Chris Davis.)

And, obviously, Holt has 'seized the moment' and grasped the opportunity to give his all and establish himself as a bona fide major leaguer.  Will there be bumps in the road, perhaps so, but I'm on board with this guy and foresee him as a solid piece on the Sox team's of the future or for that matter any team that he might end up with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re:

Last year in Spring Training, Pedroia was raving about him.  Talking about how he reminded him of himself, and that he was gonna going to be a difference maker.  Looks like Pedey was right.  All hustle and confidence.  

And can we talk about how he wears his pants and stirrups??  This look should be mandatory!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re:

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haha Hammah...he is very exciting to watch isn't he? Young players like Holt remind me of how much fun baseball can be. You have to love his hustle and grit. This kid wants to play and play hard. Tough not to like and appreciate that.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  It's players like Holt and that amazing catch he made last night that make baseball fun and exciting to watch, even when your team is not doing that well.  Gotta love how he is willing to do whatever it takes to stay on the team and to help the team win, and that he has been able to do it so seamlessly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Re:

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Way to early to nominate this guy as the CF of the future.

If his success survives the All-Star Break, I think we can upgrade his classification from Ciriaco-class to Nava-class. Wait until he's been a starter for two years in a row, then you can come back to me and mention Jacoby Ellsbury's name.

"Who would have guessed it possible that waiting is sustainable, a place with its own harvests -- or that in time's fullness the diamonds of patience couldn't be distinguished from genuine brilliance or hardness." --Kay Ryan.

"Everything is happening, all the time, very fast. I like that." -- Warren Ellis

[/QUOTE]

Well, I'll nominate him for the June MVP, and I fully expect he'll be the Sox MVP of 2014.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year in Spring Training, Pedroia was raving about hhisim.  Talking about how he reminded him of himself, and that he was gonna going to be a difference maker.  Looks like Pedey was right.  All hustle and confidence.  

And can we talk about how he wears his pants and stirrups??  This look should be mandatory!  

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Pedey is not playing up to his usual standards so far while Holt is playing above his head. If Pedey doesn't turn things around before the end of the season, I'll start worrying about his future. Right now, Holt's future looks promising. Let's hope they both can be at their peaks in the years to come. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re:

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Last year in Spring Training, Pedroia was raving about hhisim.  Talking about how he reminded him of himself, and that he was gonna going to be a difference maker.  Looks like Pedey was right.  All hustle and confidence.  

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Pedey is not playing up to his usual standards so far while Holt is playing above his head. If Pedey doesn't turn things around before the end of the season, I'll start worrying about his future. Right now, Holt's future looks promising. Let's hope they both can be at their peaks in the years to come. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I don't get the Pedey worry.  He has always gone through prolonged stretches of semi-scuffle at the plate.  Pretty sure he gets on a hot streak at some point soon and he will be right in his career range when all is said and done. Meanwhile he is playing his usual Gold Glove world class second base.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re:

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    yup! you basically said exactly how I feel about this kid. when he ever from out of the blue caught that ball that gomes lost in the twilight, I nearly lost a whole bud-light platinum! and the expression on lesters face was priceless.....like what the hell just happened look......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re:

Phil Plantier was the real deal for a while too..Darren Bragg looked like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread for a few months too...No, I think Holt is a gamer and fun to watch. He obviously wants to succeed and isn't scuffled by a fat cat contract or complacency.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Re:

I'll take "Brock and Roll" any day over the has been that is Stephen Drew.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re:

Last year in Spring Training, Pedroia was raving about him.  Talking about how he reminded him of himself, and that he was gonna going to be a difference maker.  Looks like Pedey was right.  All hustle and confidence.  

Love the old school baggy pants to the knees and stirrups. The kid is a true ballplayer. I hope he finds a permanent position to settle into.

oh and i like "Brockstar"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Since Jacoby Ellsbury was our CF for six and a half years from 2007-13, I interpreted your comment that "#26 is going to be the 2nd coming of jacoby Elsbury" as predicting he will be our CF for the next six and a half years (or longer, actually, since you pointed out that Holt is younger and less injury prone). I think that was a reasonable interpretation of your comment. 

You did acknowledge that your prediction might be "premature," so in that regard we're on exactly the same page.

[/QUOTE]
    well chum, I'm glad we are on the same page. I do agree that 26 has a long long way to go before he can fill jacoby's cleats but when I wrote the thread I was pretty much going on the adrenaline rush that he gave me when he came out of no where to snag that catch. and with that said, let's just sit back and relax and enjoy #26 and what lays ahead for him. 

Sections
Shortcuts