Brutal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Brutal

The umpiring behind the plate bordered on incompetence. The last pitch to Pods was high. The sixth inning was the turning point. The ump took the bat out of Ellsbury's hands and Salty's. ( Salty also got screwed on a strike call in his second AB. ) Then Lester got screwed on a pitch that was better than the strikes called on Ellsbury and Salty.
    IMO, a club can only put up with so much this stuff. Someone has to put heat on an umpire that bad.
    I don't know if there was any barking from the Sox dugout in the sixth, especially after Lester got hosed. There should have been, and more. Not from Bobby. How about a small cluster of players from which one falsetto voice says, "How can you sleep with the lights on." Actually, I prefer something with a little more spice, like, "Bear down back there, bush." The guy takes off his mask and comes towards the dugout. The fun begins. Who does he chose to run? 
    Maybe teams should keep a little saw in the dugout. Tonight, someone could have gone out and handed it to the umpire, and said, "Be more direct. There's our bat rack."
    Guys used to have a little fun getting thrown out of games. There was no fun behind the plate tonight -- or at it for some Boston batters.
    Inexcusable. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Brutal

In response to Brutal:

The umpiring behind the plate bordered on incompetence. The last pitch to Pods was high. The sixth inning was the turning point. The ump took the bat out of Ellsbury's hands and Salty's. ( Salty also got screwed on a strike call in his second AB. ) Then Lester got screwed on a pitch that was better than the strikes called on Ellsbury and Salty.
    IMO, a club can only put up with so much this stuff. Someone has to put heat on an umpire that bad.
    I don't know if there was any barking from the Sox dugout in the sixth, especially after Lester got hosed. There should have been, and more. Not from Bobby. How about a small cluster of players from which one falsetto voice says, "How can you sleep with the lights on." Actually, I prefer something with a little more spice, like, "Bear down back there, bush." The guy takes off his mask and comes towards the dugout. The fun begins. Who does he chose to run? 
    Maybe teams should keep a little saw in the dugout. Tonight, someone could have gone out and handed it to the umpire, and said, "Be more direct. There's our bat rack."
    Guys used to have a little fun getting thrown out of games. There was no fun behind the plate tonight -- or at it for some Boston batters.
    Inexcusable. 

I don't question your veracity, but the Sox have been fighting ump calls at home plate all season long.  I think AGon got thrown out for griping in one game.  I suspect the Sox already have a reputation for excessive whining, so more whining might not help. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In response to Brutal:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brutal:

Inexcusable. 

I don't question your veracity, but the Sox have been fighting ump calls at home plate all season long.  I think AGon got thrown out for griping in one game.  I suspect the Sox already have a reputation for excessive whining, so more whining might not help. 

[/QUOTE]
    Correct. Doubront and Lester have let calls get to them. Maybe there has been too much of it. Too bad they wasted it then.
    But the sixth inning last night was shameful. Too batters in one inning got hosed, and then the pitcher in the bottom half. I would like to have seen more than whining. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Alright let me preface what I'm about to say with this--I realize that there was very little for Bobby Valentine to do yesterday other than put up the lineup card. And there wasn't much he had to do, and you can even say he did the right thing by just letting Lester, who was miserable through 3 innings, throw 5 strong final innings. 

Now, here's what bothers me about Valentine particularly yesterday--I was at the game, and not too far from BV in the stands---As ex says, very little argument from the Sox dugout about the questionable umpiring, which included I believe each of the last 5 strikeouts as called looking. Ok, let's just say it's been going on a lot, and the dugout and manager seem to accept it as something that just is, and they can't really question balls/strikes anyway.

It's now the 9th inning, BV has not made a single move in this game. No changes, nothing. Mauro Gomez had a pretty good game on Wed., batting 3-for-4 is sitting on the bench. Sox got a baserunner on and 1 out, it gets back to leadoff. Podsednik, who I admire, I think has a been a terrific fill-in, is coming to the plate. But he's been horrible all game, 2 Ks, a pop up and a weak infield grounder. He has not batted the ball out of the infield. You have Pedroia in the on-deck circle. I'm literally yelling, BV wake up, put in Gomez, someone get Gomez a bat. Let him pinchbat for Scott. Nope, nothing. And Podsednik takes strike 3 called, game over, Pedroia doesn't get a chance to tie it. I realize you can devil's advocate that Scotty was "due," but the fact remains he was not doing well, having a bad night and I think it was a good spot for Gomez to bat and BV who had changed a thing went the entire evening basically doing nothing but watch a 5-2 loss.

If that is what you want at manager, then so be it. I think you try to help your team win, and I think you use a pinchbatter to shake things up and do something. Gomez not starting is another story, but James Loney had a monster game and Salty seemed to be a good choice at DH. But Gomez had 3 singles the night before. Sometimes, you just go with a hot hand. And BV did neither. I don't believe him to be a good manager, and I feel he let the Angels walk all over the Sox by doing very little in necessary pitching moves earlier in series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Brutal:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brutal:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brutal:

Inexcusable. 

[/QUOTE]
    Correct. Doubront and Lester have let calls get to them. Maybe there has been too much of it. Too bad they wasted it then.
    But the sixth inning last night was shameful. Too batters in one inning got hosed, and then the pitcher in the bottom half. I would like to have seen more than whining. 

[/QUOTE]

expitch, while I don't think whining helps, I do not at all disagree with the thread title "brutal."  We all tend to think balls and strikes are no big deal, but they can in fact change the shape of a game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The umpiring in MLB is subpar. In close games it can make the difference. Most teams would argue that it tends to balance out over the course of the season.

But, the Red Sox stink so bad, that umpiring is not the difference between winning and losing, it is the difference between losing by 2 runs , 3 runs or more runs.

They are probably going to lose 2/3s of the remaning games, so why doe sit really matter?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In response to Brutal:
    [QUOTE]

Alright let me preface what I'm about to say with this--I realize that there was very little for Bobby Valentine to do yesterday other than put up the lineup card. And there wasn't much he had to do, and you can even say he did the right thing by just letting Lester, who was miserable through 3 innings, throw 5 strong final innings. 

Now, here's what bothers me about Valentine particularly yesterday--I was at the game, and not too far from BV in the stands---As ex says, very little argument from the Sox dugout about the questionable umpiring, which included I believe each of the last 5 strikeouts as called looking. Ok, let's just say it's been going on a lot, and the dugout and manager seem to accept it as something that just is, and they can't really question balls/strikes anyway.

It's now the 9th inning, BV has not made a single move in this game. No changes, nothing. Mauro Gomez had a pretty good game on Wed., batting 3-for-4 is sitting on the bench. Sox got a baserunner on and 1 out, it gets back to leadoff. Podsednik, who I admire, I think has a been a terrific fill-in, is coming to the plate. But he's been horrible all game, 2 Ks, a pop up and a weak infield grounder. He has not batted the ball out of the infield. You have Pedroia in the on-deck circle. I'm literally yelling, BV wake up, put in Gomez, someone get Gomez a bat. Let him pinchbat for Scott. Nope, nothing. And Podsednik takes strike 3 called, game over, Pedroia doesn't get a chance to tie it. I realize you can devil's advocate that Scotty was "due," but the fact remains he was not doing well, having a bad night and I think it was a good spot for Gomez to bat and BV who had changed a thing went the entire evening basically doing nothing but watch a 5-2 loss.

If that is what you want at manager, then so be it. I think you try to help your team win, and I think you use a pinchbatter to shake things up and do something. Gomez not starting is another story, but James Loney had a monster game and Salty seemed to be a good choice at DH. But Gomez had 3 singles the night before. Sometimes, you just go with a hot hand. And BV did neither. I don't believe him to be a good manager, and I feel he let the Angels walk all over the Sox by doing very little in necessary pitching moves earlier in series.

[/QUOTE]

Amazing! Sending up a rookie RH hitter against a RHP, to bat for a LH hitter? Oh yeah, I see that everyday! Get a clue!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes,  you moron, you do that when a batter is struggling. That's what pinch batters are there for. To change it up and get a key single and change the momentum. Up to that point, Podsednik was having a horrible evening and it ended horribly with his 5th bad at bat. Gomez was coming off a 3-hit game. If a righty can't touch righty pitching, then he shouldn't be in the Majors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In response to Brutal:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brutal:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brutal:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brutal:

Inexcusable. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

expitch, while I don't think whining helps, I do not at all disagree with the thread title "brutal."  We all tend to think balls and strikes are no big deal, but they can in fact change the shape of a game. 

[/QUOTE]
    You bet they can. If both Ellsbury and Salty walk in the 6th, as they should have, the complexion of that game changes right there. The pitcher can no longer count on gift strikes. He has to throw the ball over the plate with men on base. The batters can make the pitcher throw strikes. The psychology shifts in favor of the offense. And on and on. 
    The ump should have been rung up.
    I still would have liked the Sox to scream bloody murder. Someone needed to get thrown out, maybe more than one, counting coaches, when that turkey missed the call on Lester. As it was, he kept sailing along with his knee-jerk right arm until he missed the last pitch to Pods.
    I have seen a lot of ballgames -- from the mound, from the dugout, from the bullpen, from the stands, and on TV.  That one last night was one of the worst I've seen from a plate umpire -- and there have been a lot of bad ones this season.
    Cherrington should ask for a recount.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I vote for replacement umps

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

The calls have been bad all season long. And there is nothing insignificant about balls and strikes like some people like to believe. Those calls change the entire game. I'm just hoping it's not all pointing to a Yankee championship season.

Sections
Shortcuts